Photo

An interesting tidbit on the 1936 George Vanderbilt Cup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 22:03

In the 13 September 1936 issue of The Washington Post on page X1 I found this intriguing bit of information:

Germans to Forego Try for Auto Title
By the Associated Press

Berlin, Sept. 12 -- The German auto union, which originally had planned to send three cars after the Vanderbilt Cup in the 400-mile race at the new Roosevelt raceway, New York, October 12, has decided it will not be represented in the international speed contest.

The protest of the American Automobile Association against four records claimed by Hans Stuck, German driver, the American curved tracks and exchange difficulties all figured in the decision of the auto union. So far as it could be learned in the absence of officials, the A.A.A. protest against Stuck has not been withdrawn.

Stuck established new marks for 50 kilomters, 50 miles and 100 kilometers and miles last March on a straight-away. The A.A.A. does not recognize records unless they are made in runs in both directions and protested to the German auto union against claiming new records.

So, was it Auto-Union AG or the ONS (Oberste Nationale Sportbehörde) that decided to forego the voyage to Amerika? Since there is a reference to the "Hans Stuck Protest" in the A.A.A. Contest Board files on the 1936 Geo. Vanderbilt Cup event, it was apparently Auto-Union AG. Unfortunately, I cannot find the pertinent papers concerning the Stuck protest in what I have on the event -- close to several hundred pages of information which somehow survived the dumpster when the Contest Board closed shop. I am planning to make another run through the stack, but doubt I will have much success.

Another bit of information, this time on page X19 of the 17 September 1936 issue of The Washington Post:

German Racer Enters Vanderbilt Cup Rcae
New York, Sept. 16 (AP) -- Hans Stuck, automobile road racing champion of Germany, filed his entry blank today for the George Vanderbilt Cup inaugural at the Roosevelt raceway, October 12.

Just another point to illustrate as to how much there seems to be left to find and sort out.....

Advertisement

#2 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 23:50

AUTOMOBIL-REVUE #64, p3 reported in a brief preview article about the Roosevelt circuit race, "...it is still completely uncertain if the German racing teams will start in this... race. Our inquiries at the proper place have shown that Auto Union is with the organizer in negotiations, which have not yet come to an end. A decision may be made probably only beginning September. The Daimler-Benz AG on the other hand, who likewise was invited to participate, will most likely not take part at this race due to other important tasks.

AUTOMOBIL-REVUE #76 from September 18, 1936 reported a later preview, "...Mercedes-Benz has declined participation and the Auto Union will also not start, as we we just learned from primary source.
"The Americans hold this event to the Libre Formula. ...However, the engine capacity is limited at a maximum of 6 liter. This is one of the reasons why Auto Union will not participate since their race cars have a cylinder volume of 6.8 liter."

AUTOMOBIL-REVUE #78 from September 25, 1936 reported, "In Absence of the Germans, who had to reject the invitation for various reasons...

#3 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 17:22

As always, thank you Herr Doktor Professor Hans. That certainly helps fill in that gap which was beginning to puzzle me.

#4 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 21:47

Some links that might be of interest:

1936 George Vanderbilt Cup Program

Page 1 Scoring Report

Page 2 Scoring Report

AAA Contest Board Bulletin 26 January 1937

I have a thick wad of paper that covers the protests for the event....