Photo

Moss, Jenkinson & a Mille Miglia question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 19:11

Now that winter is approaching I have time to start going through the stack of new books acquired this past year. Last night I started to read, The Maserati 450S. The authors briefly mention Moss & Jenkinsons' 1956 Mille Miglia accident in the Maserati 350S and the 450S brake pedal breaking in the 1957 running.

What I am curious about is did Jenkinson have the scrolling map available for those 2 years? Much has been written about the use of the map and hand signals during the 1955 event in the Mercedes-Benz, but I haven’t read anything concerning the use in following years. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Bill

Advertisement

#2 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 19:34

Originally posted by Bill Wagenblatt
Now that winter is approaching I have time to start going through the stack of new books acquired this past year. Last night I started to read, The Maserati 450S. The authors briefly mention Moss & Jenkinsons' 1956 Mille Miglia accident in the Maserati 350S and the 450S brake pedal breaking in the 1957 running.

What I am curious about is did Jenkinson have the scrolling map available for those 2 years? Much has been written about the use of the map and hand signals during the 1955 event in the Mercedes-Benz, but I haven’t read anything concerning the use in following years. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Bill

I once had the great privilege of holding the toilet roll holder in my hands. I believe I was told that the scroll contained within was from the 1957 event...

#3 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 19:07

David,

Thanks - it must have been great to be able to see and hold such a famous piece of racing history. Where is the scroll now?

Bill

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 19:19

Originally posted by Bill Wagenblatt
David,

Thanks - it must have been great to be able to see and hold such a famous piece of racing history. Where is the scroll now?

Bill

Well I do know, but it's not for me to say...

#5 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 19:42

:lol:

The famous Italian motor journalist/author Franco Lini once had a proposal from Luigi Musso to do an all-Italian "Moss/Jenkinson" at Mille Miglia.
Franco Lini said no. He did not want to be in the entry list as:
Musso-Lini.

Stefan

#6 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 20:17

I've often wondered whether the "script" changed from year to year. David's saying that he held the 1957 version suggests that it did, but I can't imagine that Maserati had the resources to allow Moss and Jenkinson to spend as much time surveying the route as they did in 1955. In his report, DSJ mentions just two practice laps in '56, neither in a 350S

#7 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 20:37

Yes, Roger, probably right about Maserati resources- but one would guess they'd only need to update the last year's scroll, rather than to make one from scratch as they did in '55...

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 23:37

The original 1955 roll was written and sketched in pencil by DSJ, so that he could easily correct and/or update any part of it without having to start the entire laborious business all over again from the beginning. Once he'd got it as right as it was going to be for the 1955 route, that's what he used in the race. For 1956 he studied the route as much as he could, and with a rubber (for Americans, eraser) and pencil he updated the existing '55 roll to suit. For 1957 he thought the safest approach was to re-do the entire thing from the beginning, so a brand-new 1957 roll was then carefully hand-written and sketched. The 1955-56 roll was wrapped up and tucked away for safe keeping. The 1957 roll remained in the original aluminium case, readable through its perspex window. These two rolls survive that way in safe keeping today.

DCN

#9 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 00:50

Originally posted by Doug Nye
The original 1955 roll was written and sketched in pencil by DSJ, so that he could easily correct and/or update any part of it without having to start the entire laborious business all over again from the beginning. Once he'd got it as right as it was going to be for the 1955 route, that's what he used in the race. For 1956 he studied the route as much as he could, and with a rubber (for Americans, eraser) and pencil he updated the existing '55 roll to suit. For 1957 he thought the safest approach was to re-do the entire thing from the beginning, so a brand-new 1957 roll was then carefully hand-written and sketched. The 1955-56 roll was wrapped up and tucked away for safe keeping. The 1957 roll remained in the original aluminium case, readable through its perspex window. These two rolls survive that way in safe keeping today.

DCN

Thank you.

#10 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 16:49

Doug,

Thanks for clarifying.

Bill