• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 17:56

Hi

I just received "JENKS".

While waiting for my copy of "Mon ami mate" and in the process of reading "Ramirez" mempoirs I only had the time to open it and have a quick look.

At the second or so pages, the first foto of the book shows Jenks resting on a road, sitting on the floor, his back suported by his Porsche...
In the scenery are pines and a house, also a trafic sign with a Z Z Z on it and the letters J.A.E.

(I dont know how to post a pic here, and maybe it wouldnt be allowed, so :( )

As in my country (Portugal) all traffic signs used to look like that one, and the letters J.A.E. stood for "Junta Autónoma das Estradas", the scenery could also be in Portugal, I looked in the book for some identification of the fotos but I was unable to find it.

So
Can someone (maybe Doug Nye owns that foto(?)) help me to identify where that foto was taken, and, if in fact in Portugal, where, when and under what circunstances.

Thank you very much

Yours
Neri

Advertisement

#2 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 19:36

Cant answer the question but, roughly on topic, the other day I found a photo I took at the first day of the first ever Goodwood Festival.
Posted Image

#3 tonicco

tonicco

• 134 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:18

The pic was taken in Portugal, that's for sure, as the road sign with the JAE letters can attest. When I read the book, some years ago, I was thrilled by that most beautiful image of Jenks, on the road, resting in the sun, probably in one of his trips to cover the Portuguese GP (58, 59 or 60?).

Hoping no one minds, here's the pic...

Posted Image

#4 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:30

:stoned:

Resting among the Weeds.....Jenks

#5 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:33

Thanks for the replies so far.
Of course I also think it is, probably, Portugal (how many J.A.E. cna be in other road sings?)

But I really would like mister Doug C Nye (if he "owns" the foto) to help us a litle :)

Yours
Neri

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 16:04

Neri - sorry, I didn't notice this one - really sorry again in that there's no clue on the photo print who actually took it, nor where it was taken. Lovely shot though, typical of the Gnome and his contemporary mates...

DCN

#7 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 17:08

Just curious, what Porsche that was?

#8 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 17:14

Originally posted by bigears
Just curious, what Porsche that was?

Do you want more precise details over that it is a 356?

#9 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 22:55

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Neri - sorry, I didn't notice this one - really sorry again in that there's no clue on the photo print who actually took it, nor where it was taken. Lovely shot though, typical of the Gnome and his contemporary mates...

DCN

Doug

Thank you very very match for your answer :)

I thought it was (maybe it is?) one of the fotos from the "material" you and Geoffrey Goddard made available from the Denis Jenkinson Archive, as for the aknowledgments.(sorry english is not my mother language).

Either way I think that it is a safe bet to assume it was taken in Portugal in 58, 59 or 60, that were the years of the Portuguese Grand Prixs.

The scenery with those pines and the type of the houses is consistent with this theory, and we may presume that the words J.A.E. were used only in portuguese road signs.

While waiting for other (better) theries...

Portugal winns :)

Yours
Neri

#10 Carlos Guerra

Carlos Guerra

• 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 23:31

Jenks first came to Portugal in 1955 for the Monsanto Lisbon GP when Moss won the 1500cc sportscar race.

CG

#11 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 23:44

Jemks crossed Spain in 1960 @ the wheel of UYY 34: a 356 Coupé with sliding roof, painted in a clear color that wasn't white -according to the b&w pictures I've seen- and with "Carrera" rims. Pressumably the same car posted in the above picture.

Source: "Porsche 356" by Denis Jenkinson.

Carles.