Photo

1985 Grand Prix of San Marino

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FRWL

FRWL

• 93 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 14:54

I'm trying to find exact information about what was happening during the last five laps of the race and during several hours after it. Did any driver push his car to the finish line? Was there any possibility for Boutsen to win the first race for him and Arrows team? How were other cars close to a limit of 540 kilograms?

Advertisement

#2 bluelite

bluelite

• 56 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 16:55

IIRC, De Angelis was one lap in front of Boutsen, so the Belgian could not have won the race. Unless, of course, if De Angelis had no fuel left. Boutsen pushed his car to the finish line (and Prost - who finished first- was later DSQ).

I have to watch my tape of the race again I'm afraid.

#3 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 18:40

When Senna ran out of fuel on lap 58, Johansson was briefly ahead but he too ran out of fuel and so Prost led with de Angelis second and Boutsen third. Prost's last lap was a slow one and he stopped as he crossed the line. Boutsen too crossed the line with his engine dead.
Later Prost's car was disqualified for being underweight by two kilograms and so victory was handed to de Angelis with Boutsen second, Tambay third, Lauda fourth, Mansell fifth and Stefan Johansson (Ferrari) sixth.
http://www.grandprix.../gpe/rr407.html

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 21:07

Prost probably had 2kgs of fuel in his car when he crossed the finishing line. Had he not tried a lap of honour he would have had the bona fide victory.

There was something, though...I distinctly remember on Sunday Grandstand they said de Angelis had also been DQd and Boutsen had therefore won...I wonder if their press rep there got a bit over-excited, or whether there WAS a genuine question mark over Elio.

#5 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 21:40

I was standing at Acqua Minerali and recall Prost receiving quite a few 1 finger salutes during his lap of honor... :lol:

#6 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 22:49

In '85 Prost was every Italian fan's choice of driver to hate - the Prince of Darkness.
It was only later ('90-'91) that they changed their minds - but then of course in the end ('93) reverted to their original opinion...

#7 FRWL

FRWL

• 93 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 20:33

Thanks. Does anyone have a picture of Boutsen pushing his Arrows? And what was the problem with de Angelis? Doubts about car weight? How much time did it take to DQ Prost?

#8 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 20:57

A screenshot of Bousten pushing his Arrows over the finishing line:

Posted Image

#9 FRWL

FRWL

• 93 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 20:18

:up: BTW, was such pushing legal after Buenos Aires tragedy in 1971?

#10 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 20:24

Thierry Boutsen completed more laps than anyone else that year (903), most of them presumably in the more traditional way.

#11 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 21:59

That was a great race, kind of like Monaco 82. Too bad we don't have races like these anymore, now everyone except Kimi Raikkonen seems to finish every race.......It seemed Senna lead every race after he won Portugal, but seldom finished. Prost was always finishing, which is quite different from his days at Renault where he would always drop out with 10 laps to go while leading. What a fantastic era 82 to 88 was! :clap: