Photo

Early Hudson race cars

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Don Radbruch

Don Radbruch

• 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 23:46

The Hudson Motor Car Company was involved in racing in around 1920 and had a factory team that took part in major races in the US. The company apparently gave some help to independent racers and used their victories in advertisements. One of these racers was Glen Breed who raced his Hudson Super Six on dirt tracks in the Midwest and in Texas. I have a fair amount of information on Breed but have not been able to find any photos of him in his race car. I know it is a long shot but can anybody help? Perhaps Hudson historians have something on Glen Breed? Thank you

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:10

Sorry
I could only find a mugshot of Breed and one of him in a Buick
You've presumably seen that - found by google image-searching "Glen Breed" (the URL was too long to copy)

#3 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,300 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 14:03

I have nothing on Glen Breed.

In 1916, Hudsons were really successful in major races and had nearly the speed of - for example - the 4.5-liter Peugeot.
Were these Hudsons just highly modified Super Sixes or did they have special engines/blocks/cylinder heads/crankshafts?

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 17:40

I also have a Hudson question, not an answer - sorry!

In 1916 already, there were two types of Super Sixes racing, a streamlined one and a more, well, quadratic one. From pictures it seems, that the streamlined one was the first example and the cubic one the latter, rather contrary to what one would expect. Can anyone confirm? I know Vail had a streamlined one, even in the latter part of the year, but what was the Mulford Super Six like in 1916? (In 1917, both drove a 'cubic' Hudson.)