Photo

Alfa Romeo Gr.C (early 90s)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teapot

Teapot

• 342 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 13:47

I've just become aware of the existence of a stillborn Alfa Romeo's project for a Gr.C prototype that should have been entered in the World Championship in the early 90s...

Posted Image

Copyright Unknown

I found a lot of pictures of this car, but all the information I managed to gather from the net are either in Japanese or German, two languages that are well beyond my comprehension. The little I do understand is quite controversial, too: the year of "production" (1990? 1992? Someone claims it comes from 1986, either! - hard to believe, anyway, since the car looks quite similar to the 1992 Toyota Ts010 - )... the engine (a taylor-made V10? A Ferrari's left-over?)...the designer...

Could someone help with this?

Advertisement

#2 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 14:45

all I know is that the car is from early 90s, the engine has something to do with the one used in the stillborn 164 Procar project from late 80s, the group that did the aero comprised Giorgio Camaschella, who is said to have "recycled" some of the ideas on the first Centenari "Sport Nazionale" model, a friend of mine saw a model during an university visit af Alfa Romeo (1991-'92), at a time when no pics of the car were available...

#3 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 14:48

Teapot, try with http://babelfish.altavista.com/ for translation, I recently had a try, also with japanese-to-english, and it works....

:)

#4 Patrick Italiano

Patrick Italiano

• 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 15:32

The chief engineer for that project was Ignazio Lunetta, later track engineer for Alesi at Ferrari.

I had once the occasion to talk with him, and he told firmly that, opposite to my previous understanding, it was powered by a Ferrari V12 adapted for endurance. 1990 should be the right date. The link with the 164 Procar is that, when it appeared that no Procar championship would ever take place, Alfa swifted to a Gr.C project instead. It was first described (but maybe it was a distinct, stillborn one) as aimed at using the 3.5-litre V10, and Autospring went on telling news of that project.

1986 is instead the date of design of the first Alfa V10.

The picture you posted is taken at the Arese museum, where the car is now.

Could you please indicate where you found "many pics", or possibly which keyword you used to track them, as I would like to find more?

#5 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 16:01

A previous thread on this subject here.

#6 Patrick Italiano

Patrick Italiano

• 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 16:21

Originally posted by Rainer Nyberg
A previous thread on this subject here.

I had the feeling I had already posted on the subject indeed, but I was unable to locate the place. Thanks.

#7 Teapot

Teapot

• 342 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 13:43

First of all, thank you all for the replies...

Originally posted by Patrick Italiano

Could you please indicate where you found "many pics", or possibly which keyword you used to track them, as I would like to find more?

You can have a look at THIS and then follow the links you'll find in the page (unfortunately some of them are "dead" and others lead only to a subscription form, since some of the destination pages require some kind of registration)...

Be sure not to miss this one... http://forum.rscnet....ad.php?t=167329
(there's also an "English translation" - read: a bunch of almost randomly assembled english words - of the text found in a Japanese magazine....)

#8 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,910 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 15:11

Doing research on the Alfa Romeo Indycar project (Now talk about another Alfa disaster that at least made it onto the tracks) I found a number of referrings to this Gp.C project as well. I always wondered how much of a distraction the one project had been to the other.

Henri