#1 Valda

Valda

• 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:43

Hi,
I´d like to ask for help with race ID of this ATS D6 car, please:
Posted Image
picture is from Paolo D´Alesio book

I am interested in pictures of all variant of car - long side pods, short side pods, winglets on rear wing, without winglets ets. I found some good shots on f1-facts.com but need more and more ;)

I am also looking for any pictures of ATS cars D4-D7 with technical details - engines, suspension etc etc.
Thanks alot
Valda

Advertisement

#2 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:04

According to my info this picture was taken at Jacarepagua during the weekend of the 1983 Brazil Gp, the debut-race of the D6.

#3 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:42

Originally posted by Marcel Visbeen
According to my info this picture was taken at Jacarepagua during the weekend of the 1983 Brazil Gp, the debut-race of the D6.

As I recall, the D6 was designed as a ground effect car , hence the sidepods for the early races, but the FIA changed the rules over the winter of '82/'83, mandating flat/stepped-bottoms. IIRC Brabham were the only team thatyear to run a car that was specifically designed as a non-ground effect car (at least until the arrival of the Tyrrell 012).

#4 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:58

As I recall the regulations were late, but teams were already testing their hybrid ground effect cars with flat bottoms at the end of 1982. There were certainly more cars designed according to the new rules from the beginning of the '83 season. I cannot look it up right now but remember the Ligier JS 21? Compared to that the sidepods on the Brabham BT52 where huge!

#5 Valda

Valda

• 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 15:55

Originally posted by Marcel Visbeen

Thanks alot Marcel.

Any other pictures of that car/race, please? Any pictures of BMW in this car?
Thanks
Valda