Photo

Lotus T56: the first photos?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:08

My mate dave sullivan was at Silverstone when his team boss was testing his GT40 when this car arrived...Chapman, squad of suits, Graham Hill. EDIT: in early 1968...

Posted Image

He managed 2 or 3 pics only.

Advertisement

#2 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:13

Nice photo, you tend to forget what a huge thing it was !

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:40

Great photo! I always liked the look of the 56, nice & clean lines. Any more pix??

#4 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:40

These are the other two he took

Posted Image

This one is very sad: Mike Spence, who was testing another car that day, wandered over for a look, and signed up. The slide is dated April 1968.

Posted Image

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,586 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:11

Did Mike Spence drive the car or was he just an 'interested by stander'?

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:39

can we name the people in the last pic? I'd go for Dick Scammell at the top & Chunky talking with Mike Spence. Anyone else?

#7 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:42

Dave, who took the pictures, was busy himself, and doesn't know if Spence drove the car that day.

#8 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:45

I'm sure I remember seeing a pic of 56, with NGH aboard, in the pitlane at Snetterton - but don't know if that was earlier or later than this. Do we know when the car first turned a wheel outside of Hethel?

( Do you feel it might need a bigger battery? :) )

#9 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:45

I am trying to work out whether that tray of batteries is attached to the front of the car....if it is no wonder its running so much positive camber on the rear.
What a glorious looking car, and what a poigniant moment in Spence's life. Dave really captured a moment there didn't he?

#10 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:48

During the day's test driving they added the STP decals. If there were any STP decals on it at Snetterton, then these photos predate 'em, I should think.

#11 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:51

Re batteries, I had another look at the original scan, and they just happen to be lying on the ground in perfect alignment. They're not attached. The fencing wire makes it hard to be absolutelt certain.

#12 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:52

Looking at a few pics of the 56B with bodywork off, the battery (still a whopping 12-cell thing, but just one of them) is certainly slung out that far ahead of the tub.
Is there some turbine-technology related need for that much juice needed? (Such as a high cranking speed, perhaps).

And they do seem to have a roughly ground-clearance-sized shadow beneath them (?)

#13 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:54

My aplogies, I think you're right about the batteries ... the wooden rail the fence is nailed to fooled me, I thought I was looking at the ground! Back to the optometrist!

#14 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:56

Well, if I hadn't happened to have a book open in front of me, I would have believed you!

#15 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:00

Was there more than one car in attendence or just spare panels (or a did a marketing man arrive with a briefcase full of stickers)?
The bodywork in the pitlane shots is 'un-stickered'; the bodywork top lying on the ground has decals on the rear deack and around the 'chimney'.

#16 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:05

The first pic shows a sticker in what looks like an orange plastic tray. Dave told me the stickers were put on that day.

#17 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:07

I was looking at that tray wondering if it was the panel that fitted in the rear end of the bodywork.

#18 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:12

Hatch for the drag chute? :) Blowed if I know, I don't know what the back of the car looks like. Funny how a few pics can raise so many puzzles. How many of the blokes there are still around?

#19 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:21

I am going to hazard a guess as to the 'orange tray'. The 56B had a square hole at the back, which unusually for a racing car was all panelled in except for this square port hole, that was sometimes plugged - with something about the same size as that STP tray you see in the picture. The marketing men put Firestone on as well as STP. It looked better before!
We know Chapman Spence and Hill are all gone - who are the others? STP or Pratt and Whitney?

Advertisement

#20 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:34

You can see a pic of the 56's rear-end here, Terry.
http://vsrnonline.co...C_V5N8_P374.jpg

#21 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:39

Yes. I think that's where the "tray" came from: very curious.

#22 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 13:56

Posted Image

Sorry, I seem to have left out the thumbnail...

#23 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 14:05

I don't think that Mike Spence was associated with the Lotus 56 project until after Jim Clark's death. There is a note in Autosport 3rd May saying that he would participate in the rookie trials and had already tried the car at Silverstone. A week earlier there were pictures of Hill testing the car, probably at Hethel. The car has large STP and Lotus stickers.

However, Jim Clark drove a 56 at Indianapolis before all that.

#24 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 14:13

I really must get round to building this model kit...perhaps Barry can advise on what paint to buy...

Look at the batteries in the nose .....

Posted Image

#25 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 14:14

After Clark's death, wasn't Jackie Stewart mentioned briefly in connection with the 56?
I think Stewart picked up some injury early that year, but don't know exactly when (or what) or if that precluded any such drive.

#26 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 14:19

David - is there a pic of a tractor on that box lid?!

#27 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 14:26

Originally posted by 2F-001
After Clark's death, wasn't Jackie Stewart mentioned briefly in connection with the 56?
I think Stewart picked up some injury early that year, but don't know exactly when (or what) or if that precluded any such drive.

Stewart was mentioned as a possibility in the captions that accompanied the Autosport photos (April 26). He sprained his wrist in practice for the Jarama formula 2 race the following day. It caused him to miss the Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix and to wear a brace for much of the season.

#28 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 14:48

Jim Clark died 6 April. The slide has the processing datestamp April. It can't have been very long afterwards. None of the (limited) references I have give any help on when the 56 first turned a wheel. But it looks like these pics aren't the earliest ones of the car. Good pics all the same. Dave was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I wonder though, why they were at Silverstone for testing. A more suitable circuit than Hethel?

#29 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 15:04

Originally posted by Terry Walker

Jim Clark died 6 April.

April 7th, Terry.

#30 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 15:12

I had another look in Georgano's Encyclopedia, which is where I got the date from, the only reference book I have handy, and it says he crashed on 6th, and implies he was dead on arrival at the hospital, but it's not very clear. "...taken to Heidelberg hospital but was already beyond saving."

Crashed on the 6th, died on the 7th, or crashed on the 7th? I was a much keener fan of F1 then than I was later, and the news shocked me to the core. It didn't seem possible.

#31 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 15:20

TimeAndDate.com is a good place to check such things; click on the link to see the calendar for April 1968. He sadly crashed and perished on Sunday the 7th.

#32 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 15:25

Thanks for that. Must be a typo in Georgano. Can't imagine it's a genuine mistake on the part of the contributor.

Anyway, my obscure point was that given Kodak slide processing turnaround, and the April datestamp, that day at Silverstone must have been very soon after Clark died. Two weeks at most.

#33 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 15:31

Was Dave an amateur snapper? If so, and the pics sound like they're Kodachrome, then yes - they would have to have been posted to Hemel Hempstead for processing, and then returned (if you were lucky :rolleyes: ) by post too.

Incidentally, Spence also died on the 7th [of May] giving rise to the fear of the date amongst the drivers. Scarfiotti died on June 8th, Jo Schlesser on July 7th and so on...

#34 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 18:53

According to Gerard Crombac in "Turbine Grand Prix" the 56 required a 24 volt battery to cope with the bulky aircraft "black box" fitted to the car.

In the same book he refers to Spence taking over the drive at Indianapolis having "already tested the car in the UK" but there's no date or venue of that test quoted.

David

#35 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 23:54

hmmmmm Twinny.........the pics "sound" like they are ..........?

#36 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 23:55

don't forget Jimmy on the 6th I believe ?

#37 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 23:56

6th April that is

#38 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 23:57

sorry didn't look back far enuf on this thread

#39 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:54

Dave was strictly an amateur, and in his year or so in UK and working for two or three different racing teams he took only about eight rolls of Kodachrome slides. He gave them to me loose in a large plastic bag about 18 months ago, and I spent hours sorting them by their date stamps before scanning them.

Back in Australia, Dave went on to become a successful sports car racer at Wanneroo Park, though not as successful as his Dad, "Brave Dave" Sullivan, who won numerous races in the 50s in a Holden (actually, 3 Holdens, as one of them were turned into crumpled scrap, and another broke in half after hitting a tree)...and then won even more in the 60s in a home built rear-engined single seater, before he retired.

This is young Dave, at the rear, waiting to get through Customs on the way to Monza in 68.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 John-w

John-w

• 180 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 19:40

Hello,

here is a built Lotus 56 model in scale 1/25th

http://www.john-w.de/models/indy/

#41 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 20:15

Originally posted by David Lawson
According to Gerard Crombac in "Turbine Grand Prix" the 56 required a 24 volt battery to cope with the bulky aircraft "black box" fitted to the car.David

There could perhaps be a secondary reason for the batteries, that of needing more weight on the front tyres, some kind of tyre problem. I'm not an expert on the 56, but as Lotus were forced to keep running the 72 after planned replacements failed, they could no longer rely on specially developed Firestone tyres, and when Firestone dithered about continuing in F1, this irritated Chapman so much that he switched to Goodyear. He had to constantly re-design the front suspension though, in an battle to put more load on the front tyres, to try to counteract what was sometimes near-terminal understeer. Team did their part by adding weight to the 72 noses, some of the later ones were so heavy that it almost took two men to lift them, and the cars must have been way over the minimum weight. It may sound ridiculous, but there were rumours of panic concrete additions at some races to load the front end more. I often wondered whether Chapman knew about this, it would have offended every one of his design principles, but he sometimes lost interest in F1 completely for months on end when things weren't going well, or he had other more pressing problems.

#42 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 22:33

By chance I was reading the Lotus 56 chapter again in the Crombac book yesterday as I am currently building a 1/32 scale slot car of this car.

In regard to the batteries I noticed a further refence to them, Crombac states that the four batteries were necessary to crank the 600 amps starter motor.

David

#43 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 22:48

Didn't Rene Weisell test the 56 at Oulton ?

#44 A E Anderson

A E Anderson

• 86 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:42

Originally posted by David Beard
I really must get round to building this model kit...perhaps Barry can advise on what paint to buy...

Look at the batteries in the nose .....

Posted Image

Believe it or not, David,

Granitelli Racing used plain old ordinary Krylon "Rocket Red" dayglo paint on their cars. STP constantly was repainting their cars, certainly the noses, almost nightly during practice. This dayglo red is an interesting color: At times, it looks orange, other times red, and in bright sunlight, almost pink. Photographic film can't pick up the light enhancers in the paint, so when these cars are photographed on color film, they show up as red, but TV cameras and TV set picture tubes do give some justice to the color. I can say, that those cars, appearing on the 4th turn at Indy when watching from the 1st turn, better then 3/4 of a mile in the distance, are instantly recognizable--the dayglo red immediately catches one's attention, which is precisely why Andy Granitelli settled on that color.

Dayglo paint, in order to show its brilliant color, is sprayed over a white base coat, and then, as it is flat finish paint by nature, is clear coated for a glossy surface. At the end of any serious practice day at Indianapolis back then, the leading edge of the nose, and also along the sides of the tub, minute bits of sand and other small debris literally blasted the dayglo paint off, leaving unsightly white splotches, hence the constant repaints.

If memory serves me right, the Lotus Turbine used an onboard starter and power supply, hence the large battery setup in the nose.

In size, the Lotus 56 is, by modern Indianapolis car standards, actually quite petite. It's shorter, just as low, and as it has no side pods, quite narrow in comparison to the Indy cars of the 70's through today. I was in the pits at the Speedway in 2002, when Vince Granitelli took one of these cars out on its laps of honor. To see this car up close, and interspersed with modern IRL cars in the pits was certainly a study in contrasts. And, for all the legendary quietness of the turbines when at speed out on the racetrack, standing next to one as it is spooled up is an experience of sheer whining, whooshing noise--anything but silent!

Speaking of size, Andy Granitelli took the 1969 Camaro Pace Car out for a lap of honor that afternoon as well--it was rather humorous to watch him try to adjust his considerable girth and bulk in behind the steering wheel. Any more than a couple of laps in that car, and he'd have had blisters on his navel!

Art

#45 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:51

I"d love to see a pic of the chassis in the nude, just for the detailing.

#46 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 14:29

Unfortunately, those are the only pics Dave Sullivan took of the car. But I'll bet there are a lot of good nude pics of the car in existence.

On Dayglo paint, I remember it well. In the 60s we used bright yellow Day-glo for arrows on our club rallies (always held at night) and it really stood out when the lights hit. It was sold in pressure-pack cans. And yes, it was a matt finish. Funny how you forget those details.

#47 Neil Smith

Neil Smith

• 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 16:36

Macoran

for pictures of the 56 'in the nude' try the Avon Aero website here - a rebuild of one of the cars that Parnelli Jones lated fitted with a Ford turbo... Avon Aero have also restored one of AJ Foyt's Coyotes - looks like good work.

Neil
London, UK

#48 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 00:56

Thanks Neil :up:

#49 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 16:41

First: thanks for posting these unique early shots of the 56! Very interesting indeed! :up:

My guess is that the first of Sullivan's pictures was taken in March 1968, rather than in April. Processing was not so quick in those days, and who knows when the finished roll was taken out of the camera? However, the real reasons I think the pictures are from March are are the following.

First the "tray" seen lying next to the car on the left side of the first picture. This is the car's rear end cover. In the lower left picture on the cover of the 1968 summer edition of Lotus -- The Magazine of the Marque you see the hole in the rear, and the rear end cover carried an STP decal at least when the car was run at Indy, during testing, qualification and race. Then it looked exactly like in Sullivan's first picture.

Posted Image

Interestingly, the STP decal on the rear end cover was not there when Hill tested the car at Hethel, so Sullivan's picture is probably after that initial outing, or it could also be a second chassis. Here's Hill at Hethel:

Posted Image

Sullivan's pictures also show a car with the early windscreen that had no sides. Also, no rear view mirrors have yet been fitted. (See also Hill's test run at Hethel; it appears that the shots on the cover of the Lotus magazine were taken at this outing.) Later, during May qualifying at Indy, the windscreen had tall sides, and different styles of mirrors were used on the three cars that were entered in the race.

In Sullivan's third picture, where the top bodywork has an STP decal and several decals on the exhaust chimney, the car looks pretty much like the 56 that Clark tested at Indy in March 1968 (hence my guess that the picutures were taken in March).

Here is the dust jacket of Andy Granatelli's book They Call Me Mr 500, see also the blowup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The decals on that car, however, are not arranged the same way as they were when Clark actually ran at the brickyard:

Posted Image

Perhaps the team had taken two chassis along. At least it's clear that the two cars that ran early on at Hethel had decals arranged differently -- this is also commented in Andrew Ferguson's book Team Lotus. The Indianapolis Years.

Nevertheless, Clark's car at Indy, in March, had the early windscreen without sides, no mirrors, and both the dust-jacket and the track shot have decals arranged in a way similar to Sullivan's pictures.

Sources:

I have "fixed up" some of the pictures for clarity, by cropping, magnifying, enhancing contrast and color. Some of these pictures have been posted before in threads here in TNF, and others have been published elsewhere on the web (magazine and book cover) over the past five years.

There are also additional pictures in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Photo Archives showing Clark in the car in the pit lane, together with Chapman, Granatelli and Parnelli Jones. Clark, in fact, also drove the 1967 STP Paxton turbine car in connection with his test runs of the 56.

Plenty more pictures are owned by Artemis Images, but to my knowledge there isn't any picture of Clark there. Finally, Andrew Ferguson's book Team Lotus. The Indianapolis Years is warmly recommended to those of you who are interested in the history of the 56.

#50 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:43

Just to clarify: Dave Sullivan's three photos were no's 18, 19 and 22 from the same packet of Kodachrome slides. The only other two or three pics he took that day were of John Raeburn's GT40, also testing at Silverstone.

March is easily possible given processing delays, and the earlier slide numbers are of a Brands Hatch meeting. Dave was not a prolific photographer, and in his year on the racing scene in UK he took only about 9 rolls of film.