Photo

Boley Pittard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 szautke

szautke

• 89 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:34

In a posting on another forum someone mentioned that Boley Pittard was visited after his Monza fire in '67. It was mentioned that might had been the driver for the 'Great Train Robbery." Can anyone expound on this?

Advertisement

#2 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:07

Don't ask me how I remembered these from so long ago, but have a look at these:

http://forums.autosp...ghlight=Pittard

http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=3

And if you do a search under Pittard you'll find a bunch more. :)

#3 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:59

Originally posted by szautke
In a posting on another forum someone mentioned that Boley Pittard was visited after his Monza fire in '67. It was mentioned that might had been the driver for the 'Great Train Robbery." Can anyone expound on this?

Great Train Robbery driver was Roy James who served time for his services! That was in 1963. Boley Pittard's tragic accident was 4 years later. I am very angry to see this brave man's name linked with crime.

#4 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 187 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:29

Rumors, rumors

on certain p)ast source, it was Charlie Crichton Stuart that was convinced to have been involved in the 63 train robbery...

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 15:55

Charlie Crichton-Stuart? Great Train Robbery? CC-S ganging up with a common bunch of London hoods???

Sorry, but I am sure this suggestion is TOTAL RUBBISH !!!!

DCN

#6 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 187 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 23:43

Doug,

I think I must be more precise, cause being vague is not fair .So the info was given on an old SPORT AUTO mag by Gerard Crombac .

But it was a rumor, so thank you to give us the correct situation .

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:33

I greatly enjoyed the article on Boley Pittard this month in Motor Sport. Reports featuring him in MN at the time fluttered through my recollection...
Paul Fearnley brought home the fact that he was a colourful character, but somehow left me wanting to know more.

#8 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:17

I greatly enjoyed the article on Boley Pittard this month in Motor Sport. Reports featuring him in MN at the time fluttered through my recollection...
Paul Fearnley brought home the fact that he was a colourful character, but somehow left me wanting to know more.

It was a great article and it made me wonder whether there was a book on the British contingent who trailed round the F3 circuit in Europe at this time? Williams/Craft/Courage etc?

#9 ddmichael

ddmichael

• 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:17

It was a great article and it made me wonder whether there was a book on the British contingent who trailed round the F3 circuit in Europe at this time? Williams/Craft/Courage etc?

Such a book would be fantastic - I'm currently exercising my AS-level French to read Jurg Dubler's books on the Continental F3 circus and they're well worth the effort.

Good to see an article on Pittard, just a pity it wasn't a little longer as I'm sure there were a few more good stories to be told.

DM