Photo

If we really want a 'Revival'...

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:51

... we need a reality check. Forget about making it as pretty as Goodwood, with lots of beautifully prepared racing cars and equally beautifully prepared spectators.

We sometimes conveniently forget that life wasn't always like that (nice as it is to think of it in that way). Sometimes cars were scruffy, cobbled together and looked downright dangerous in action. The drivers were sometimes inept and out of their depth. Spectators weren't always dressed up in period fashion and would usually be seen clad in anoraks and other practical clothing. The paddock would be full of scruffy transporters and vans, cars would be tended to by greasy looking mechanics with fags hanging out of their mouths. You wouldn't be able to get anything to eat unless you were prepared to risk food poisoning. The car parks would be full of knackered Anglias held together with hope and gaffer tape.

So when do we see a "revival" along these lines?

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:18

Come to the Anglesey circuit!

sorry!

#3 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:27

Brings back those memories - the last manifestation of my racing Anglia 105E was sprayed with pressure-pak tins. The only glamorous thing about it was the alloy twin-SU inlet manifold.

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:40

You're taking me back to Aintree clubbies in the 1970s...;)

#5 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:41

Originally posted by ian senior
... we need a reality check. Forget about making it as pretty as Goodwood, with lots of beautifully prepared racing cars and equally beautifully prepared spectators.

We sometimes conveniently forget that life wasn't always like that (nice as it is to think of it in that way). Sometimes cars were scruffy, cobbled together and looked downright dangerous in action. The drivers were sometimes inept and out of their depth. Spectators weren't always dressed up in period fashion and would usually be seen clad in anoraks and other practical clothing. The paddock would be full of scruffy transporters and vans, cars would be tended to by greasy looking mechanics with fags hanging out of their mouths. You wouldn't be able to get anything to eat unless you were prepared to risk food poisoning. The car parks would be full of knackered Anglias held together with hope and gaffer tape.

So when do we see a "revival" along these lines?

You could attend one of our AIRPS get togethers here in Georgia. It is kind of a Brooklands Society for the common folk. :clap:

Henry

#6 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:00

I now feel a lot safer at home in front of a keyboard - can I admit to my first passion wagon.
It went like stink.
Only had one weber on a 1340 Anglia but it did have a Les Leston stick on reg plate - AC560 :cool: please send an entry form for your revival and I will try and get the car back from Potter minor.

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:16

Whether authentic or not, it is a glamourous image, the dressing up the fantasy of what a bygone age might have been (even though in reality everyone at least over 50 knows it never was ), it is the stepping back in time to a gentler more respectful time , if only for a day that has made Goodwood the 150000 spectator and premier historic competitor annual event it now is.

What venue did you have in mind Ian , for ' Sixties Racing Unplugged' ?

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:14

Originally posted by HistoricMustang

You could attend one of our AIRPS get togethers here in Georgia. It is kind of a Brooklands Society for the common folk. :clap:

Henry

Sort of the "Wrong Crowd and Plenty of Crowding!" - sounds terrific!

Ideal venues in the UK would be ....

a) Oulton Park

b) Mallory Park

or

c) Cadwell Park

If you do run it may I suggest lots of 6 Lap races so that you don't overly exert the poor old cars! Don't want the gaffer tape giving way!

#9 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:21

Croft would be good -- not the same circuit layout as in its heyday but it has the feel of a proper clubbie circuit.

#10 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:42

Originally posted by RTH
What venue did you have in mind Ian , for ' Sixties Racing Unplugged' ?

That's the problem - I guess everywhere has been prettyfied to an extent. An ex-airfield circuit would probably be best - they often had an air of impermanence about them, along with a distinct lack of facilities. If we are going really hard core, somewhere such as Rufforth would be ideal, but there's no chance of that any more. Cadwell has its attractions, for other reasons.

#11 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 13:33

I go to most of the VSCC and some of the HSCC meetings around the UK each year and enjoy racing that is every bit as enjoyable as The Revival and see a great range of classic racing cars in a relaxed informal paddock and pit road. I can spend my time looking at the cars without being jostled by crowds and where the owners happily discuss their cars with you. All this for an admission price of just a few quid.

Once a year mind you I love dressing up for three days and taking in the spectacle, atmosphere and dare I say the razzmatazz of the The Revival.

David

#12 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 14:06

Originally posted by ian senior
That's the problem - I guess everywhere has been prettyfied to an extent. An ex-airfield circuit would probably be best - they often had an air of impermanence about them, along with a distinct lack of facilities. If we are going really hard core, somewhere such as Rufforth would be ideal, but there's no chance of that any more. Cadwell has its attractions, for other reasons.

If you want airfields, Lulsgate and Filton both held post-war events. MInd you, Lulsgate is now Bristol International Airport and Filton is owned by BAE. Details, details...

How much of Crystal Palace is left?

Haven't heard anything of it since, but the Aintree event would have made a good alternative Revival. The safety measures had a distinct 60s air about them, at least.

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 14:18

There's still plenty of old airfields around. All you need are some strawbales and tyres, a couple of old double-decker buses for HQ buildings, a beer-tent, some corrugated iron 'conveniences', and maybe one stand made of rusty old scaffolding.

Come to think of it, it sounds worrying like a typical club level single-stage rally venue...

#14 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 14:27

Originally posted by James Page

If you want airfields, Lulsgate and Filton both held post-war events. MInd you, Lulsgate is now Bristol International Airport and Filton is owned by BAE. Details, details...

How much of Crystal Palace is left?

Haven't heard anything of it since, but the Aintree event would have made a good alternative Revival. The safety measures had a distinct 60s air about them, at least.

There is a slim chance that the Aintree Club Circuit could be revived! Once the golf club extention has been completed the concrete posts on the inside of Club Corner will be removed and in theory it would leave the way open for the circuit to be used once again. However it will need.....

(a) the track resurfacing at Beechers and Club
(b) the Paddock area which is currently grass converting to hard standing
© a control Tower building on the inside of Country Corner

Liverpool Motor Club currently run two track days on the Club Circuit plus three single lap sprints. I feel sure if there was enough interest and the funding could be found motor racing could return to Aintree.

:)

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 14:31

We are obviously yearning for a re run of the North Staffs Motor Club's annual Silverstone bash, end of September each when everywhere else was closed. 14 races, plus practice, all done on a full Saturday. About 8 or 9 clubs invited,plus camp followers.

7 lap races for the lower ranks tne 12 lappers of the more sophisticated end up to Formula Junior and big sports racers, plus 5 x 5 lap handicaps to cover every class, so everyone could get two races in at least. Programmes here show at least 20 entries in every race.

Sounds like Castle Combe would be suitable, especially if it rained, almost capable of matching a wet Rufforth.

My eyes are dewy with the nostalgia of it all

I suspect many used it as a swansong for their car this year, hoping to sell it, or as a try out for one they have just bought/thinking about buying. Halcyon days.

RL

#16 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 14:53

Don't forget Lydden. There are plenty of modern clubbies held there, with races for single seaters, sports and saloons, and even handicaps!

#17 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 18:37

I recently suggested an Ingliston revival to someone interested in organising some historic Modsports racing.
Perhaps I shouldn't be joking about it, other people seem to want the same kind of event for cars of all ages!
We could re-stage the famous Jim Clark Milk float race, and I know a few cars which meet the 'In gaffer tape we trust' criteria for period set dressing, and from memory the 'facilities' still have a certain period charm........

#18 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 19:02

Originally posted by bradbury west
We are obviously yearning for a re run of the North Staffs Motor Club's annual Silverstone bash, end of September each when everywhere else was closed. 14 races, plus practice, all done on a full Saturday. About 8 or 9 clubs invited,plus camp followers.

RL

North Staffs MC? Does that mean we all get to wear "Help Stamp Out Knowldale" badges, as popularised by Stuart Turner?

#19 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 19:51

Originally posted by Cirrus
Don't forget Lydden. There are plenty of modern clubbies held there, with races for single seaters, sports and saloons, and even handicaps!

That's where I first thought of.........when I last went there, as recently as 2000, Race Control was still an old bus embedded in the trees near the startline.......beautifully rustic.

BTW, do McLaren still own it? IIRC they wanted to build a testtrack there.

Paul M

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 21:08

What's wrong with Ballarat airfield?

#21 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 21:27

Ray,

But only in the rainy season

RL

#22 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 13:12

Originally posted by Mistron
I recently suggested an Ingliston revival to someone interested in organising some historic Modsports racing.
Perhaps I shouldn't be joking about it, other people seem to want the same kind of event for cars of all ages!
We could re-stage the famous Jim Clark Milk float race, and I know a few cars which meet the 'In gaffer tape we trust' criteria for period set dressing, and from memory the 'facilities' still have a certain period charm........

Ingliston can be classed as a lost circuit as there is now a grandstand over part of the track! A bit like the Aintree GP circuit! You could use a shortened version but it would miss out the interesting bits!

:wave:

#23 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 21:19

What a marvellous thread!

Biggest problem, to my mind, is that nearly all of the circuits have changed since those halcyon days we all bang on about on here!!!

I suppose the favourites would be the following;

Cadwell Park - wonderful place, but has probably changed from my last visit (1978)
Croft - isn't the same layout I don't believe (I saw some tv coverage a while back)
Mallory Park - I suppose ostensibly the same - I dropped by whilst I was that way about two years ago
Oulton Park is most certainly not as it once was (again largely tv evidence - my last trip there was in 1992 )
Snetterton (far too depressing in its current guise)

Silverstone is, well, words fail me...
Brands is too modern for our purposes
Lydden (regrettably) is too small
Ingliston has gone hasn't it?
Aintree was a personal favourite, but I understand that the "revival" they had was very restricted in terms of spectator access :down:
Rufforth has gone - although there was never much there to be honest. I can still remember the landscape as being really quite disorienting - no "landmarks" at all and just a double decker for race control. Absolutely fantastic. But no more sadly

I've never been to the Anglesey circuit, although I've seen it on the tv and reckon it would probably be an ideal venue

We should definitely have a vote :lol:

#24 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 21:26

Cadwell Park - wonderful place, but has probably changed from my last visit (1978)

Indeed it has. It's still great, but the MSV influence has made it too sanitised for our purposes.

Lydden (regrettably) is too small

Lydden is small, but the slopes are gentle enough for a rusty Anglia to negotiate, and if you choose the right spot you can peer at the whole circuit through the misted up windscreen (whilst sipping Heinz Tomato Soup from the mug on top of your Tartan Thermos.

#25 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 22:23

Hey! try this side of the pond.

Lakeside, CAMS would never licence the track without a lot of alterations so it must be about right. For thoses that haven't seen it, its a great setting and reminds me in many ways of a Brands, great spectator hill, long fast dropping r.h. corner and some very tricky bits, and it has the history, the buildings are run down, flaking paint, rusty hinges, I imagine its all still there but its 6 years since I've been.

Why Ballarat Ray, or am I being a bit slow or are you being obtuse again? Ah those Aussie specials, geez some of them only their mothers could love but they were the real spirit of racing.

#26 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:08

Originally posted by Cirrus

Lydden is small, but the slopes are gentle enough for a rusty Anglia to negotiate, and if you choose the right spot you can peer at the whole circuit through the misted up windscreen (whilst sipping Heinz Tomato Soup from the mug on top of your Tartan Thermos.

Followed by a boiled ham sandwich on Mother's Pride white bread. This is all too evocative for words, really...

Pause for "emotion break".

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:26

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes
Hey! try this side of the pond.

Lakeside, CAMS would never licence the track without a lot of alterations so it must be about right. For thoses that haven't seen it, its a great setting and reminds me in many ways of a Brands, great spectator hill, long fast dropping r.h. corner and some very tricky bits, and it has the history, the buildings are run down, flaking paint, rusty hinges, I imagine its all still there but its 6 years since I've been.....

Oh, I couldn't agree more!

The Council couldn't knock it, it's just a bit of a car show, isn't it? With demo runs... of course. Great setting, close to home, real cars once raced there (in spades!) and everyone loves the place.

.....Why Ballarat Ray, or am I being a bit slow or are you being obtuse again? Ah those Aussie specials, geez some of them only their mothers could love but they were the real spirit of racing.

It's still there, just as much as it ever was, it's an airstrip... and I think Barry would like it...

#28 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:54

May I offer The Phoenix Park in Dublin , we currently use the Oldtown Circuit , which was used in the fifties . plans are for the event to go historic , and we dont have noise problems , so any takers .

#29 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:34

I may well consider crossing the Irish Sea for that one!

#30 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:58

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
May I offer The Phoenix Park in Dublin , we currently use the Oldtown Circuit , which was used in the fifties . plans are for the event to go historic , and we dont have noise problems , so any takers .

Haven't had a good reason to visit Dublin for several years (I was on the verge of emigrating to Ireland in the late 90s but the company I was going to work for was one of the casualties of the Celtic Tiger...) - an excuse to go back would be great ;)

#31 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 13:37

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
May I offer The Phoenix Park in Dublin

I think we have a winner!

#32 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 20:07

In view of the recent remarks regarding the Goodwood Revival elsewhere here on TNF, I just wanted to bring this back to the front page for those of us who may have missed it the first time round. I think it makes very interesting reading.

For what it is worth - like Ian and Pete and doubtless many other TNFers - I have never attended the Goodwood Revival meeting (by choice)...

#33 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 20:41

Although having really enjoyed my visit to the Revival Meeting after a year away, I was glad to have visited the Spa 6 Hours as a replacement last year.

I called it the 'Transit-and-trailer revival' in my report on 8W. Here's what I wrote about it:

http://8w.forix.com/spa06.html

Although I'm afraid it won't be the same this year, with the brand new 21st-century facilities and all... :

#34 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 20:56

I must say I sympathise in many ways with those who are not attracted by their perception of what the Goodwood Revival has to offer, but I do feel that their perception of the event - at least in the case of those who have never attended one - seems to be somewhat skewed and not related to the reality.

It is true that the dress code at the Revival has tended to persuade many racegoers to dress as if they are attending a period wedding - or investiture - rather than a period race meeting, but I really find it hard to criticise the pervasive atmosphere of cheerful motor SPORT which to me characterises the meeting - and, trust me, everyone who is involved in creation of these meetings is intensely self-critical concerning every aspect of the event (while also feeling very protective towards it).

Much of the opinion expressed in these columns is taken to heart, and passed on - saving that which is factually and demonstrably nonsense. Thankfully, I believe that from this audience there has been relatively little of the latter.

DCN

#35 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 21:23

Gaffer tape? Duct tape? I don't remember that in the 60s. When was that stuff invented?

#36 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 21:29

From 1965 I shared a house with schoolfriends who had become BBC TV boffins. Our house was held together by 'racer tape' liberated from the Beeb technical stores.

DCN

#37 Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence

• 288 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 21:47

I helped to set up the first Rufforth circuit in 1959. I had a stroke of luck for a RAF-brat I was not packed to some remote spot, he was posted to Rufforth. It was an operational RAF base, but it was technical support.

Ten of us created the circuit in half a day. Someone smart had been round before we turned up so the design was settled. We laid out straw bales from a low-load trailer behind a Fergie, I think there was a line of cones as well.

Spectator safety consisted of rope. The paddock was the sort of link fenching still used to day. That was important because you paid an extra five shillings (25p) to get in there. A contractor laid out the Tannoy system. Did someone mention two double decker buses? That was luxury undreamed of in my time in Yorkshire.

once told that Jim Clark where he could go and put his car. I was a paddock marshal with the clipboard and Clark asked me which parking space was his. I said, "That is slot 16, Mr Clark." He thanked me. Do not mess with me, I once told Jim Clark where he could put his car.

I think I know where Ian Senior is coming from, on the subject of the Goodwood Revival. I have given it some thought and I was the person who organised the PR on behalf of the local campaign to have the circuit returned for racing. It was a local campaign.

In the Goodwood era many women made their own frocks. My mum did and her (treadle) Singer sewing machine was the most prized object in the house until it was replaced by a Singer powered by electricity which did amazing stitching. Home-made frocks do not survive, but dresses made by top fashion houses do. They are made from the best materials with exquisite craft. I have been heard to say that there aare more Squadron Leaders at Goodwood than there are Corporals, but if you go to a fancy dress shop this is what you will find.

Me? I do not do fancy dress. I wear a jacket, a tie and a hat and so does Dave Mckinney, Adam and Eve that?

I have no idea why the Revival employs impersonators of Laurel and Hardy whose glory days do no trelate to the circuit. I was subjected to their act while I was supposed to be enjoying lunch. They wore bowler hats, they did not get the accents right and they performed magic tricks which Laurel and Hardy never did.

Tired old tricks they were as well. They did not stop my conversation.

The Revival is in danger of becoming becoming a parody. I like to ask when was the last time you wore a sock that was
darned?

#38 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 22:56

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
Although having really enjoyed my visit to the Revival Meeting after a year away, I was glad to have visited the Spa 6 Hours as a replacement last year.

I called it the 'Transit-and-trailer revival' in my report on 8W. Here's what I wrote about it:

http://8w.forix.com/spa06.html

Although I'm afraid it won't be the same this year, with the brand new 21st-century facilities and all... :

Spot-on about the Six Hours. I´ve been there for the past three years, and intend to go again this year. Hopefully the all-new cra...sorry, I mean impressive state-of-the-art facilities won´t change the atmosphere too much.
I urge everyone to make the trip to the Ardennes - you might be getting a bit of what you´re looking for. Now if only they raced on the old circuit...

#39 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 22:35

Can this 'alternative revival' have early clubmans cars and 750MC / 1172 cars?

Having just bought a '65 clubmans car I don't think there are enough places to race it - classic Clubmans seems to focus on the later Ford 1600 cars

What else could we have? base model Morris Minors and 850 Minis (raced without Mums knowledge) rather than a grid full of over prepped Yank tanks.........

Perhaps the meeting could be headlined by a 1000cc F3 race, and all the spectators should be encouraged to wear nylon jackets / duffle coats and bobble hats and bring a picnic (which does not include champagne or come from Fortnums)

Sounds like a grand day out!

Advertisement

#40 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:51

Can this 'alternative revival' have early clubmans cars and 750MC / 1172 cars?

Having just bought a '65 clubmans car I don't think there are enough places to race it - classic Clubmans seems to focus on the later Ford 1600 cars

What else could we have? base model Morris Minors and 850 Minis (raced without Mums knowledge) rather than a grid full of over prepped Yank tanks.........

Perhaps the meeting could be headlined by a 1000cc F3 race, and all the spectators should be encouraged to wear nylon jackets / duffle coats and bobble hats and bring a picnic (which does not include champagne or come from Fortnums)

Sounds like a grand day out!

In the small-bore saloons... Scruffy Mk1 Escorts and Anglias with BDAs and twinks. The odd Fiat 850, a few Fraser Imps, bigger Minis.

A SuperSaloons race, too.

Some very ModSports TVRs and E-Types, chased by a load of Elans and MGBs and the odd Ginetta.

A mid-seventies FLibre race full of Atlantics, last year's F2s and the odd F5000 car.;)

#41 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:02

Ah, Modsport..... :clap:

A mate of mine has an ex modsport XK120 - perhaps I should encourage him to restore it 'properly' i.e. to lairy GRP body spec rather than 'dull old original'

another pal just bought a G4 which was offered with modsports or standard body - he took the standard (quite rightly as they are so pretty) but only just!

Shame these great cars are all being restored to their original form, but inevitable I suppose. It would be nice for a few to be kept running to remember what a great era of ingenuity they came from

I always thought a 911 engine would fix the imp for modsports (or the Tesco run), but be a bit of a handfull!

#42 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:29

Originally posted by Doug Nye
I must say I sympathise in many ways with those who are not attracted by their perception of what the Goodwood Revival has to offer, but I do feel that their perception of the event - at least in the case of those who have never attended one - seems to be somewhat skewed and not related to the reality.

It is true that the dress code at the Revival has tended to persuade many racegoers to dress as if they are attending a period wedding - or investiture - rather than a period race meeting, but I really find it hard to criticise the pervasive atmosphere of cheerful motor SPORT which to me characterises the meeting - and, trust me, everyone who is involved in creation of these meetings is intensely self-critical concerning every aspect of the event (while also feeling very protective towards it).

Much of the opinion expressed in these columns is taken to heart, and passed on - saving that which is factually and demonstrably nonsense. Thankfully, I believe that from this audience there has been relatively little of the latter.

DCN

Good to chat with you at the Revival Doug.
It is still the greatest race meeting I have ever been to year on year, the first Revival in 1998 the most emotional meeting I've ever been to. The best thing to have happened in motor sport in the last ten years followed by Lewis and then GP2 in my opinion.

In rating it so highly I draw upon my experiences in attending 30+ meetings per year of all sorts and have done since the '60s. Yes there are some fashions on show when you think 'this is a race meeting, not a wedding, teddy boy convention etc', as Doug says, but in general the whole atmosphere of the event is fantastic. I've heard a lot of critics, like some on here, but 99% of those have never been. It is one of those events you have to witness to judge properly. Television, photographs, internet forums etc, do not do it justice. It is very special indeed and gets better each year.

Most important of all, it is a proper fast circuit, like they don't make anymore. No high debris fences, no huge gravel traps, fast slightly dangerous corners where real skill shows and how it should be. The racing is close and hard fought too, sometimes too hard which must be addressed. True, the circuit does look better/tidier than it did in the 60s, but it is still a magical re-creation of how circuits did look back then.

If we do want to go Revival 'unplugged', I'd vote for Snetterton. Get rid of the market, put the Norwich straight back and get rid of all of the armco to be replaced by earth banks. Thinking about it, we already have this...Lydden anyone?

#43 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:37

Doug,
Without returning to ground well covered, I think there are fair points that the Revival has lost a bit of the edge it had in the early days - a bit elitist, a bit over-comercialised. (I speak as someone who has attended several, normally as a spannerman).

The more relevant point, though, is that there is scope for other "Revival" events at other venues and with different themes. VSCC at Brooklands is surely the most obvious, and with so many more opportunities (how about a breakfast steam train from Victoria Station?). But pretty much every circuit with any history could cobble together a promotable event:
- Choose a theme from the wide selection of historic series (including the many that will never be invited to Goodwood)
- Ask teams to dress up in return for their invitation (and make it a showcase event for them)
- Offer discounts to spectators who dress up
- Build a "show" in the Paddock and around the circuit.
And let's not forget that creating a bit of buzz around these "living" circuits increases the chances of pulling the punters back for the F3/GT or 750MC meeting later in the year.

This isn't to belittle your and the GRRC team's own efforts. If anything the opposite - you've pretty much written the handbook, and demonstrated that it can be very profitable. Ten years on I'm moving from curious to astonished that no-one else has thought "Hey, we could try that" (Johnny Dumfries being the sole exception) - I'm not sue whether the term should be "risk-averse" or just "unimaginative" but it must be one or t'other.

#44 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:46

Originally posted by HiRich

This isn't to belittle your and the GRRC team's own efforts. If anything the opposite - you've pretty much written the handbook, and demonstrated that it can be very profitable. Ten years on I'm moving from curious to astonished that no-one else has thought "Hey, we could try that" (Johnny Dumfries being the sole exception) - I'm not sue whether the term should be "risk-averse" or just "unimaginative" but it must be one or t'other.

If often thought that too. Most of the cars within the HSCC meetings for example are from the 1970s - built after Goodwood closed, therefore scope for '70s themes and fashions (dig your flares out!). Imagine the Brands Superprix with South Bank full of Capris, Escorts and other 70s cars!
The problem is, Goodwood is different in many ways. For a start the competitors are invited, expenses paid. Goodwood get the gate money. The HSCC would have to hire Brands from income from competitor entry fees, then MSV get the gate money! Does not make sense for the HSCC to try and promote it as they get no benefit. It would be down to the circuit owner.

#45 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:02

Ah, Modsport..... :clap:

I always thought a 911 engine would fix the imp for modsports (or the Tesco run), but be a bit of a handfull!

Proper Modsports (not "Special GTs" - much as I like sports-racers with plastic bodies, it's not what i'm after here!) would be a great fun one to revive, wouldn't it? Where else do you see beauties/abominations like
this splendid Stag?;) Might be a fun one for EERC to tack onto the Britcar bill as a curtain-twitcher...

Re the Imp, how hard would it be to fit an FPF or even, Gods forbid, an FWMV in the back of one?;)

#46 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:09

DCN

It's hard for me not to appear gushing talking about Goodwood, but that's because I used to be one of those whose perception of the event didn't relate in any way to the real thing. I'd always been a bit wary of the 'period theatre' aspect of it. I thought it all seemed a bit fake - a bit odd, in fact.

But last year was Dad's 60th, so we decided to don our flat caps and sports jackets and go along on the Saturday. It was without doubt the best race meeting I'd ever been to. Even setting aside the peripheral attractions, the pure racing entertainment on offer and the consideration shown to spectators (superb viewing from all around the circuit, no debris fencing to peer though, real food on sale etc) were incredible.

I was there working for a magazine on the Friday this year, and it was every bit as good again. In the evening, I settled into a deckchair with a pint of ale from the Spitfire Bar, watched the sun go down over the display of old planes and concluded that life didn't get much better. There's no way I'd miss Goodwood now.

PS - Talking about the various 'costumes' on display, this year we noticed a couple of very young lads in period school uniforms. "Now *that's* correct," said Dad.

#47 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:22

Originally posted by James Page

PS - Talking about the various 'costumes' on display, this year we noticed a couple of very young lads in period school uniforms. "Now *that's* correct," said Dad.

It is the smile on the faces that tells you Goodwood has it right..and when you see spectators taking photographs of each other! One of the few events we can get our other halves to come to. Try getting mine to come with me to a clubbie at Snetterton or anywhere else, no chance, but she loves the Revival. The ladies turned out so nicely is one of the best reasons for going anyway! :)

#48 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:38

And of course, there must be intermittent drizzle!

#49 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:42

Originally posted by Sharman
And of course, there must be intermittent drizzle!

Doug arranged that for the 2006 Revival!
But for gawd sake, save us from 1970s Brands Hatch tea!

#50 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:57

Originally posted by petefenelon

Where else do you see beauties/abominations like
this splendid Stag?;) Might be a fun one for EERC to tack onto the Britcar bill as a curtain-twitcher...

NOOOOOO! It can't be - I like a Triumph Stag :confused:

I'm off for a lie down.

(I know, I'll think about the 'chimp' - the Sunbeam Stilletto bodied Chevron - that'll make it better!)