Photo

Piquet trashes GP Masters Series

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 22:45

Nelson Piquet has called the Grand Prix Master Series rubbish and says he would never participate in it as a driver.
"I would never do anything like that, because my time as a professional race driver is gone and I have my job," Piquet told Italian racing magazine Autosprint magazine.
"That's a series for people with no money who are hoping to gain it back somehow. Beyond that, I don't see any reason to race in such rubbish. After having raced in F1, you go back at 50 years of age at the wheel of a car that looks like it? No way."
"My company has grown immensely: 1,025 employees, with an annual revenue of over 200 million dollars," Piquet said.
"Personally, I'm making a lot more than when I used to race in F1. In the next five years, I will make double what Michael Schumacher has made in his entire career."

Was he even invited to join the GP Masters Series or is this why he's so opinionated against it and the people driving in it?
Warren

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 22:55

Good to see nothing changes then...  ;)

#3 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 23:27

Originally posted by Twin Window
Good to see nothing changes then...  ;)

well he didnt made joke at the expense of alan jones :)

#4 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 23:43

Kurt Vonnegut tells a wonderful story about talking to Joseph Heller once at a party in a very ritzy penthouse (this is heavily paraphrased from memory from a lecture K.V. gave a couple years ago), asking Heller something like “How does it feel to know that this place costs more per month(?) than all the money you made from Catch 22?”
Heller: “Yes, but I have something these people will never have.”
K.V.: “What’s that?”
Heller: “The knowledge that I have enough.”

I think the world’s so full of people who measure a human’s worth by how much money they make, that statements such as Piquet’s above sound merely trite, especially in the context of that topic. I always kind of admired him, but, in light of Twinny’s comment, I guess I never really knew much about him.

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 00:57

Originally posted by vivafroilan!
Kurt Vonnegut tells a wonderful story about talking to Joseph Heller once at a party in a very ritzy penthouse (this is heavily paraphrased from memory from a lecture K.V. gave a couple years ago), asking Heller something like “How does it feel to know that this place costs more per month(?) than all the money you made from Catch 22?”
Heller: “Yes, but I have something these people will never have.”
K.V.: “What’s that?”
Heller: “The knowledge that I have enough.”

I think the world’s so full of people who measure a human’s worth by how much money they make, that statements such as Piquet’s above sound merely trite, especially in the context of that topic. I always kind of admired him, but, in light of Twinny’s comment, I guess I never really knew much about him.

It's probably true; since when Heller wrote "Something Happened", nothing did.

#6 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:16

Wasn't it 2-3 years ago, that he said he wanted to race competitive open wheel with his son?

What is his business anyways?

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:03

Something to do with satelite tracking on cargo trucks?

#8 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:52

The substance and the timbre of Piquet's remarks reveal a man who is not at peace with the world.

#9 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:15

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Something to do with satelite tracking on cargo trucks?

Yes!

#10 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:59

So what exactly is he saying about the absolute gentleman who is kind enough to run his son in the A1 GP series?

A revolting person-always was and always will be, commenting on at least the three people who totally overshadowed him. The phrase 'a fit of Piquet' was designed for him. Yeuch!

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:18

Originally posted by Huw Jadvantich
So what exactly is he saying about the absolute gentleman who is kind enough to run his son in the A1 GP series?

Frederic Vasseur?

#12 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:47

This surely proves that Nélson Piquet has not read enough of Joseph Heller or Kurt Vonnegut...

#13 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 15:32

Piquet is a very, very strange man who projects a lot! Most of the things he says are simply mirrors into his own soul.

#14 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 16:37

I used to like Nelson, back when he had the Brabham drive and was being bullied and punted off by Alan Jones. But his subsequent behaviour gradually alienated me and made me realise that, under it all, he is not a very admirable person. This sort of diatribe is about par for the Piquet course. Makes you wonder why he is so desperate to push his son into F1 if its all so rubbish and pointless. Why not just let him work in the family firm and make all that moolah?

#15 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 16:45

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Frederic Vasseur?

I think he means Emmo. Then again anyone who had the cheek to call Senna 'gay' when he started getting blown into the weeds by him is, by that deed alone a World Chapion ****! It does'nt matter if Senna was gay, straight or a fan of beastiality, he had bigger balls than Piquet and was much more of a Man than Nelson will ever be. Most undeserving 3 time World Champ ever, he lucked into the 81 title courtesy of Lole losing it, cheated in 83 (BASF dodgy fuel) and lucked in again in 87 (Mansells chronic luck).

The substance and the timbre of Piquet's remarks reveal a man who is not at peace with the world.

Maybe its all the maintenance he has to pay for his kids? Or maybe he is just a many time WCT as mentioned earlier :lol:

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 17:38

Nelson's thoughts on the GP Masters series pretty much mirror my own, but the difference is I've kept mine to myself, and I doubt if they'd be of much interest to the media in any case. He may have turned all bitter & twisted in his middle age, but Nelson was some driver in his day and a very worthy 3 times WDC, so whatever his reported behaviour now, he doesn't deserve rubbishing where his past driving achievements are concerned. Remember that pass of his on Prost around the outside of Tarzan in a Dutch GP? One of the all-time classic overtaking moves for me. He always polarised opinion, people seemed to either love Nelson or hate him. I knew a few of the guys at Brabham in the 80s and they mostly worshipped the ground he stood on, they called him 'The Indian', there's nothing they wouldn't have done for him, and some of the things they told me they had to do for him were far from pleasant. Sir Frank speaks rather more fondly of him than he does of NP's team mate at Williams at the time.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 18:19

I had completely forgotten Emmerson Fittipaldi was the showman for A1GP Team Brazil, I havent noticed him in the recent races.

#18 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 18:59

In an interview with Italian racing magazine Autosprint (Italy's equivalent of the UK's Autosport) Nelson Piquet Sr. said of his son Nelsinho must win the GP2 championship if he has any hope of making it to F1.
"Obviously I'd like to see him in F1 but he comes from a disastrous GP2 season and the situation is complex.
"We have spoken with various teams to sign a test driver contract, but the conditions they propose are unacceptable.
"They don't guarantee any length of running in kilometres, they never speak about driving, but only demand the availability of the driver. On top of that, they demand a six-year contract length without any promise on their side of letting him race or drive.
"With these premises, I told everyone to piss off. Now Nelsinho needs to think about winning in order to get the opportunity to enter a team directly as race driver. It's the only serious and realistic way I know to get in F1."

#19 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 20:01

I have to agree with Nelson about the current attitude concerning test driver contracts...

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 20:30

Originally posted by WGD706
In an interview with Italian racing magazine Autosprint (Italy's equivalent of the UK's Autosport).....

I wouldn't have thought it possible that AutoSprint could have slipped that far?

#21 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:09

See how powerful TNF is?!

Autosport.com headline:

"Fittipaldi replaces Piquet at Team Brazil

Christian Fittipaldi will take Nelson Piquet Jr's place at A1 Team Brazil from this weekend's A1 Grand Prix race in Indonesia. "

#22 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:31

"In the next five years, I will make double what Michael Schumacher has made in his entire career."

Yeah, but you won't be remembered as one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time.

Methinks Nelson is jealous of Michael's achievements.

#23 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 14:57

Nelson Piquet has called the Grand Prix Master Series rubbish and says he would never participate in it as a driver.
"I would never do anything like that, because my time as a professional race driver is gone and I have my job," Piquet told Italian racing magazine Autosprint magazine.
"That's a series for people with no money who are hoping to gain it back somehow. Beyond that, I don't see any reason to race in such rubbish. After having raced in F1, you go back at 50 years of age at the wheel of a car that looks like it? No way."
"My company has grown immensely: 1,025 employees, with an annual revenue of over 200 million dollars," Piquet said.
"Personally, I'm making a lot more than when I used to race in F1. In the next five years, I will make double what Michael Schumacher has made in his entire career."

Comments from a man that is not only bitter, but a man who always ever did place an over-importance on the more material things in life.

There was a time when Nelson was funny. I don't think that comments like these do him any favours.

#24 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,912 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:39

Originally posted by philippe charuest
well he didnt made joke at the expense of alan jones :)

and/or Nigel......

Henri

#25 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:40

Originally posted by Henri Greuter
and/or Nigel......

Whereas, according to today's Motorsport News, our Nige has got his retaliation in first, saying ”He is probably jealous that he isn’t involved in GP Masters, but we are all too old to care what he has to say now”. :lol:

See, even Nigel Mansell can talk sense once in a while! :up:

#26 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 17:46

There is no reason for Piquet to be jealous. It was his own decision not to compete in the GP Masters series - as he was invited to join the Kyalami race but refused.

Watching the Kyalami field I had the same impression as Piquet: Most of the GPM competitors seems to be rather short on cash.
For sure I heard such rumours about Mansell and Jones, and Emerson Fittipaldi seems to do literally everthing for cash these days.

#27 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 17:53

Originally posted by giacomo

Watching the Kyalami field I had the same impression as Piquet: Most of the GPM competitors seems to be rather short on cash.

They all looked well fed and groomed to me.;) especially Mansell

#28 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 18:24

So they all showed you their bank statements, and the contents of their wallets did they?

#29 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 18:37

Originally posted by kayemod
So they all showed you their bank statements, and the contents of their wallets did they?

Fantastic question. :rolleyes:

Of course the answer is no. But there were reports over the last years of financial troubles because of bad speculations in connection with Mansell and Jones. Fittipaldi seems not to be too successful with his non-racing business, and I never heard that guys like Arnoux, de Cesaris, Johansson or Danner are enjoying Donald-Trump-like wealth.

#30 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 18:38

I heard it rumoured that Mansell was a shareholder in the GP Masters series.....

Maybe Piquet isn't...

For two team mates still to fighting 19 years later. Brilliant....and all after Piquet had gone to the abismal Camel Lotus, when, after one year of misery at least (88), Mansell blossomed into a people's hero in the UK, and Ferrari driver and total hero in Italy, a World Champion in front of a bigger TV audience, a near Indy 500 winner were it not for that re-start, and a CART Champion.

Talking about money so openly is vulgar. Maybe someone needs to tell Piquet; 'Money cannot buy you happiness, but at least it enables you to be miserable in comfort.'

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 19:58

I think it depends. If the drivers are doing okay and they're just whoring themselves out to make as much money as they possibly can (ie Mansell and his various demands, even when its for children's charity), thats greedy and I turn my nose up at it. If Stefan Johansson cleared 25,000 USD in 2005 and GPM offered him the same for one race, hell why not show up?

#32 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 21:13

You guys are sad, real sad. if you don't like GP Masters just say it. I like it, I like most of the drivers doing it, and relatively speaking for ex race drivers, none of them are short on material wealth.
I could go through them all but I can't be bothered. They just fancy going racing, the urge to retire from the circus has gone and they like the idea of driving a decent racing car, more especially as they get paid and meet their old mates with similar interests in the meantime. They are also in a relatively safe environment amongst people that they know won't put them in hospital. What better way for a retired sportsman to go about his retirement.
I just can't see where you guys are coming from.......

#33 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 22:09

You guys are sad, real sad. if you don't like GP Masters just say it. I like it, I like most of the drivers doing it, and relatively speaking for ex race drivers, none of them are short on material wealth.
I could go through them all but I can't be bothered. They just fancy going racing, the urge to retire from the circus has gone and they like the idea of driving a decent racing car, more especially as they get paid and meet their old mates with similar interests in the meantime. They are also in a relatively safe environment amongst people that they know won't put them in hospital. What better way for a retired sportsman to go about his retirement.

Every GPM driver gets a starting money of 50.000 $ each race. A race win earns 250.000 $ in addition.
I doubt that we would have seen Mansell, Fittipaldi and Jones in Kyalami for a starting money of 5.000 $.

Edited to add:
Actually I like GP Masters. Still I am realistic enough to accept that money is playing a role in this game. Just like in modern F1.

#34 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:36

Of course, in the 'golden age', nobody showed up to race anywhere unless they got a nice little earner of start money. So GPM is really harking back to the values of yesteryear.

Maybe they just need to offer Nelson more money, and he would change his mind?

#35 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:22

Originally posted by BRG
Of course, in the 'golden age', nobody showed up to race anywhere unless they got a nice little earner of start money. So GPM is really harking back to the values of yesteryear.

Yup, back then everyone raced for free. Why shouldn't the drivers earn from GPM? They are solely the reason anyone watches it. It's certainly not for the cars or the tracks is it? Or is it apparently vulgar to get a slice of the action the organisers are reaping?

#36 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 13:24

I personally don't think that money is the motivating factor for any of these guys.

The likes of Patrese, De Cesaris, Noige, Fittipaldi all had long and distinguished careers that brought the kind of wealth that the average joe can only begin to dream about.

These guys are doing it because racing is an addiction that they just can't kick.

#37 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 13:28

Originally posted by BRG

Nelson would never change his mind, because back in the old days he would spend endless days testing in order to work towards gaining some sort of technical advantage against his opponents come race day.

I don't think that this sort of series, which focuses on equality, would do anything for him - other than completely show him up.

#38 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 13:35

Originally posted by deangelis86
Nelson would never change his mind, because back in the old days he would spend endless days testing in order to work towards gaining some sort of technical advantage against his opponents come race day.

And the others didn't ?

#39 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,912 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 14:29

And the others didn't ?

There is much about Piquet and his behaviour why I dislike him.
But I give him credit for being enough of a teamplayer to be a more than willing driver to test endelssly to make things that could be an advantage eventually work.
Think about his commitment to the BMW turbo late 81, early 1982 and him testing the Williams reactive suspension. The system which Nigel eschewed because of his experiences with Lotus `Active'
Having said this: Piquet did test much of all this primarily for his own benefit, that a teammate benefitted for it as well wasn't the intention at all. (Williams re-Active the best case, that Nigel didn't want to be involved with it was probably very much to Nelson's liking)
But then, apart from Patrese (who was still treated a second man too) and Mansell at Williams, when in his Brabham days did Piquet having a teammate who was hired because of being a good driver and a worthy teammate? Nearly all his teammates were no-hopers who couldn't challenge his position within the team.
I repeat myself another time: Many of the MS distractors should take a good look at the carreers of both Senna and Piquet: They will find a lot of things of which they accuse MS being done by Senna and Piquet long before that already.

Henri

Advertisement

#40 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 17:27

Originally posted by Henri Greuter
But then, apart from Patrese (who was still treated a second man too) and Mansell at Williams, when in his Brabham days did Piquet having a teammate who was hired because of being a good driver and a worthy teammate? Nearly all his teammates were no-hopers who couldn't challenge his position within the team.

1979 onwards Piquet drove alongside Lauda, Zunino, Rebaque, Patrese, T. Fabi, C. Fabi, Winkelhock, Hesnault, Surer, Mansell, Nakajima, Nannini, Moreno and Schumacher.

4 no-hopers (Zunino, Rebaque, Hesnault, Nakajima) among 14 teammates.
Not enough no-hopers to make a rule IMHO.

#41 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 18:34

Well said Huw, I dont see people criticising the senior golf and tennis tours. These guys and ladies have all still got the addiction, in fact Mcenroe won an ATP tour doubles final last weekend at the age of 47!! Shows he has still got it. I know Piquet still races but I dont think he has got the balls for it like Mansell and Prost still have - witness Prosts performances in this years ice racing series, he finished second only to the phenomenon that is Yvan Muller on ice. I could'nt envisage Nelson laying it on the line like he did in his prime when he used to go toe-to-toe with Mansell at Brands and Silverstone or Jones just about everywhere. The fact that he invariably ended up in the wall (Tarzan vs Prost 83) or finishing second just reflects the fact he was one of those drivers who were more about finding the unfair advantage, getting in the lead and checking out.

For me, seeing those drivers on track at Kyalami, witnessing the midfield battles between the likes of Warwick, Andrea and Patrese (real men behind the wheel!) and hearing Murrays dulcit tones brought a lump to my throat, even if it was rose tinted somewhat.

More GP Masters please!

#42 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 19:17

Isn't it a tad harsh to refer to Nakajima as a "no-hoper"? Ascari he ain't, but "no-hoper" is a bit strong wouldn't you say?

The title "Piquet Trashes GP masters" has to be an amusing title; is anyone genuinely surprised at his rhetoric?

Justin
Btw; although I can't see him refusing the pay-cheque, Mansell has always struck me as terminally-competitive; such is his nature, I suspect he would've competed regardless of financial incentive.

#43 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 20:14

Originally posted by ghinzani
I know Piquet still races but I dont think he has got the balls for it like Mansell and Prost still have - witness Prosts performances in this years ice racing series, he finished second only to the phenomenon that is Yvan Muller on ice. I could'nt envisage Nelson laying it on the line like he did in his prime when he used to go toe-to-toe with Mansell at Brands and Silverstone or Jones just about everywhere.

Maybe you don't know that Piquet crippled his feet in Indianapolis.

#44 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 20:18

Originally posted by ghinzani
The fact that he invariably ended up in the wall (Tarzan vs Prost 83) or finishing second just reflects the fact he was one of those drivers who were more about finding the unfair advantage, getting in the lead and checking out.

Like he did in Budapest 1986 or in Adelaide 1990?

#45 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 20:30

Maybe you don't know that Piquet crippled his feet in Indianapolis.

Nope, still got the Autosport with his mangled feet stickin out of the front of the Menards Lola Buick. As I recall he was at Indy after a fit of pique after being dropped by Benetton for 92 and being replaced by Brundle. So he off and went to Indy and expected to whip the regulars but got bitten by the track.

#46 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 20:45

Not the first, not the last...the smart ones went home...Rindt, Amon, etc. And yes, I know Rindt got killed at Monza...At least modern safety has lessen all of that.

#47 scousepenguin

scousepenguin

• 228 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 22:16

Champions are not always nice. At least not once the success has kicked in. Motor racing, like world politics, takes a certain delusional personality to even consider doing such a thing in the first place.

But without them, we would not experience the range of colour and vibrance it takes for such brave souls who climb such heights.

#48 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 22:20

And the others didn't ?

Now you're putting words into my mouth! ;)

Nelson I think will be remembered as one of the most dedicated test drivers of the 1980's. Prior to 1985 he pounded out so much test mileage, that apparently it was equivalent to a entire GP season such was the concern about the Pirelli compound.

Of course there were other dedicated test drivers that enjoyed testing, and generally working up towards an advantage over the opposition on race day.

And of course there also plenty of others who really didn't give a stuff about testing, preferring to just turn up at race weekends and put the pedal to the metal.

#49 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 22:28

1979 onwards Piquet drove alongside Lauda, Zunino, Rebaque, Patrese, T. Fabi, C. Fabi, Winkelhock, Hesnault, Surer, Mansell, Nakajima, Nannini, Moreno and Schumacher.

4 no-hopers (Zunino, Rebaque, Hesnault, Nakajima) among 14 teammates.
Not enough no-hopers to make a rule IMHO.

I think to make a fairer comparison, we need to insert a couple of extra categories:

No-hopers: Zunino, Rebaque, Hesnault, Nakajima
Quick, but inconsistent: T Fabi, C Fabi, Winkelhock, Surer, Moreno
Winners, but not quite WDC: Nannini, Patrese
Top Class: Lauda, Mansell, Schumacher

So in my book, Nelson had to compete with 3 World Class team-mates. Anyone else draw the same conclusion?

#50 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:09

I work out some times Robin Miller at NIFS on the campus of IUPU here in Indy. I think I'm going to pick his brain. He is also very good friends with Dr. Terry Trammell who treated Nelson after his Indy shunt. Dr. Trammell also co-ordinated my return from Canada with Dr. Julio Fernandes after my accident. He then turned me over to Dr. Andrew Vicar, Ortho Indys Hand and Wrist guy.

If I remember correctly, Nelson was in the Methodist Hospital for months, like 3-6 months. His legs were pretty shattered. I did my therapy there...let's just say that might have made him a little crazy!

As Doug Nye might say GRRR!!!