Grand Prix of Gibraltar audio cassette

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Head Rev

Head Rev

• 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:38

This may seem a strange request but....

Many years ago (about 30yrs ago) I was given an audio cassette from my uncle.

It was of some guy who did a very funny recording of the Monaco Grand Prix. Think the name was something like "Grand Prix de roc" or something similar. From my vague memory he did various sound effects of the cars, race commentary and other assorted sound effects. Don't know where the cassette ended up but was interested to know if any one has heard it or knows where it came from and it's history etc.

Again from my memory it was very funny and held pride of place during my teenage years, but alas it went missing in action over the last 20+ years. Any info would be appreciated.

Also I do have the following LP - Sound Stories - 17th Monaco Grand Prix 1959, commentary by Neville Lloyd. Also have had it autographed by Jack Brabham and Stirling Moss during one of the Classic Adelaide Rally's. Any idea if they are worth much and are there others in the 'series' that could be sourced from somewhere.

Thanks again,

Dave
Motorsport Chaplain
Adelaide Sth. Australia.

Advertisement

#2 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:42

Peter Ustinov - The Grand Prix of Gibraltar

http://www.amazon.co...v=glance&n=5174

Apparently, Donington do it too

http://www.donington....com/gifts.html

#3 Head Rev

Head Rev

• 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:48

Thanks for the super quick reply, yes, that's the one, will try to track one down somwhere in this vast internet universe we live in.

Again, thanks for putting me on the right track.

Dave

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 13:12

it's always on Ebay !!

#5 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 14:09

Peter Ustinov was a race fan in his way too and visited many Grand Prix. He recorder "The Grand Prix of Gibraltar" and this was released on record first by Riverside Records. Riverside is well known for there series of jazz but also their small line or race recording. They recorded often at Sebring and released the Sounds of Sebring series from 1956 until 1962. Each recording a report of the 12 hours of Sebring.

"The GP of Gibraltar" was also released by other labels and some are offered every now and then on Ebay. Prices vay from 10 - 20$. There have been many pressings.