Ring Djursland ? The story of Denmark?s challenging circuit

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 22:14

Hallo all followers of TNF

I’m starting this tread as I hope – and know – that some of you will probably be able to help me with my latest project, which is a book on Ring Djursland, telling the story of Denmark’s most challenging circuit.

For those of you who only know a little about it, I will give you a short resume. It was built as a short 0.5 mile circuit by Danish F3 driver Jens Christian Legarth in 1965. The next year it was extended to 1.1 miles and staged numerous international F3 events with drivers like Derek Bell, Jean-Jierre Jabouille, Reine Wisell and Ronnie Peterson being among the participants. Alas, the owner was killed with Doug Revson (brother of Peter) in a freak accident in 1967, and the circuit then started its turbulent history with changing owners, years of closure and chaos.

Posted Image

In the mid-70s F3 cars returned to the circuit, and in 1975 Terry Perkins won a round of the FIA European F3 Cup, while brother Larry only finished ninth, having suffered a puncture.

Posted Image

In 1978 saw the introduction of rally cross racing at the circuit, and it got hugely popular, staging rounds of the European Chamapionship in 1980 and 1981 with Martin Schancke, the works Volvo team et al visiting.

Posted Image

The eighties, however, were years of trouble and on-off activities, but since 1994 racing has resumed at the circuit, and with the introduction of the Danish Touringcar Championship in 1999, crowds of some sort have also come back.

Enough of the story here – there also have to be something left for the book.

What I am searching for are persons who have driven, spectated or just been at the circuit, and who may possess:

Photographs
Official race programmes
Official race results
Or just plain good memories of the circuit
The latter part is very important, as I have an ambition to make the book a mixture of factual story telling with personal recollection.

I do hope – and believe – that some of you out there will be able to help me.

Advertisement

#2 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 19:11

So, finally, the work is nearing completion. On Saturday the last part of the book was layouted and sent to the printers and on Saturday November 17th 2007, I will be able to present the book in the right surroundings ... Ring Djursland that is.

Posted Image click for large picture of the front Posted Image click for large picture of the rear

Alas for most of you TNFers, the book is in Danish

#3 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 21:29

Tillykke! :clap: Congratulations!

I look forward to my copy ;)

#4 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 22:38

:clap:

Well done, Morten!

Been on Ring Djursland twice for rounds of the FIA European Championship for Rallycross Drivers. On June 8 1980 and on July 12 1981. The Rallycross track there was quite good, but somewhat bumpy at some places. Remember very well to fix a deal between your by then Danish Hot Rod superstar with NSU TTs Åge Mathiassen and the flamboyant and vociferous daddy of former Formula One driver Christijan Albers, big fat André Albers. Mathiassen took a Rent-a-Porsche from André – and was for many a year upset about the poor state of the spare Albers’ Carrera in which he finished sixth and last of the GT Division 'A' final. Lucky enough ever so angry Åge never put the blame on me… ;)

#5 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:14

Originally posted by rx-guru
Åge Mathiassen .... was for many a year upset about the poor state of the spare Albers’ Carrera in which he finished sixth and last of the GT Division 'A' final. Lucky enough ever so angry Åge never put the blame on me… ;)

Well, I won't say that Åge is still upset, but he very clearly remembers the episode, which is of course recounted in the book.

Incidently, Åge was not a Hot Rod superstar. The only driver in the field, who had been doing some Hot Rod racing in the UK was Carl Erik Kristensen, father of Tom Kristensen, who also on this occasion raced a hired foreign car, which broke down :|

#6 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:48

Originally posted by Morten Alstrup
Incidently, Åge was not a Hot Rod superstar. The only driver in the field, who had been doing some Hot Rod racing in the UK was Carl Erik Kristensen, father of Tom Kristensen, who also on this occasion raced a hired foreign car, which broke down :|

AFAIR Åge did a lot of different races. I saw him for the first time during the 1970s while he did a Hot Rod race, but they actually called it "Speedway", at Baarlo, Holland. (BTW: It was my one and only visit ever at a so-called "Speedway" and I left the venue quite early…) Åge had to start his races from the last position of the grid and was leading the whole field of about 40 to 50 cars within a very few laps on the oval. He was the undisputed hero of the crowd with his tiny NSU there – if bloody Loisl Alzheimer is not already on my heels… :lol:

#7 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:41

Been on Ring Djursland twice for rounds of the FIA European Championship for Rallycross Drivers. On June 8 1980 and on July 12 1981.

Well, here is some evidence ...

Posted Image
Click for large photo

#8 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:39

Originally posted by Morten Alstrup

Well, here is some evidence ...

Posted Image
Click for large photo

Blimey, that was the reason for your email and the question about that pic some weeks ago. Must try to get a copy of the book, reading Norwegian (as well as Swedish) was never a problem for me. Therefore Danish cannot be a problem either – as long as it is written… ;) By the way: You’ve lost one 'n' for my name and changed a 'h' into a 'k' for Martin’s. Did you know that I was the one who put the brand "Mister Rallycross" on Martin? AFAIR it was for my RX Yearbook ’82 (which shows a 1981 pic of Martin and his RS1800 airborn over the most bumpy spot of Ring Djursland on its cover) the first time.

#9 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 14:37

Morten - The book looks great, shame I don't know any Danish!!

One question I have is does the book have race results in? The reason I ask is I'm trying to compile a list of my late Father's racing and I know he visited (and won) at a circuit in Denmark in 1977 but I don't know if it was Ring Djursland. With the link to Bill B he may have visited it previously or any other circuit in Denmark (are there any?), as I know he went to Anderstorp in Sweden a few times.

Would you be able to help at all?

#10 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:02

Looking forward to your book, Morten - the two timing title alone is priceless! (it's better in Danish, though).

..and to Gregor. Your dad was invited to Grand Prix Danmark at the Jyllands-Ringen on the weekend of the 13th and 14th August 1977 racing two Vauxhall Magnums. One in group 1 and "Baby Bertha" in the Special Saloon Car class. From faint memories of a long gone article in a magazine it wasn't a very succesfull venture but you say he won, and that would most likely have happened in Special Saloon.
BTW I wondered for years about the Baby part of his Special Saloon untill recently, when I heard about "Big Bertha".

Jesper

#11 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:46

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
Morten - The book looks great, shame I don't know any Danish!!

One question I have is does the book have race results in? The reason I ask is I'm trying to compile a list of my late Father's racing and I know he visited (and won) at a circuit in Denmark in 1977 but I don't know if it was Ring Djursland. With the link to Bill B he may have visited it previously or any other circuit in Denmark (are there any?), as I know he went to Anderstorp in Sweden a few times.

Would you be able to help at all?

I can, but I have made a new thread, where we can concentrate questions and discussions on Jyllandsringen, as it was on that circuit he raced. Go to new thread on Jyllandsringen. Incidently, one of the drivers your father was battling with was the very Åge Mathiassen, whom rx-guru mentions in a previous post.

#12 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:03

Morten, one last question: Is it Aage Mathiassen or Åge Mathiassen? Coz in my files I have different information. I know that the 'å' can be replaced by 'aa', like the German "Umlaute" 'ä' by 'ae', 'ö' by 'oe' and 'ü' by 'ue' or our 'ß' (of which many people falsely think it is a 'B') by 'ss', although Norwegians told me "not in Norway anymore", but I would like to know how Mathiassen himself is writing his name. Thanx in anticipation, mate!

#13 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:50

Morten, one last question: Is it Aage Mathiassen or Åge Mathiassen? Coz in my files I have different information. I know that the 'å' can be replaced by 'aa', like the German "Umlaute" 'ä' by 'ae', 'ö' by 'oe' and 'ü' by 'ue' or our 'ß' (of which many people falsely think it is a 'B') by 'ss', although Norwegians told me "not in Norway anymore", but I would like to know how Mathiassen himself is writing his name. Thanx in anticipation, mate!

Aage himself is writing his name 'Aage Mathiassen'. The letter Å is rather new in the Danish language - 60 years old I think - but still some people stick to the old spelling with double A's, especially in names of persons (older ones) and locations. For instance, the Danish town of Aalborg, which has been known for its aqua vitae, was changed to Ålborg, but recently it has changed back to Aalborg.

But it is not only Aage's first name that have caused problems, because Mathiassen is a surname that you can witness various spellings of. For instance Mathiasen, Mathiesen and Mathiessen...

#14 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 16:12

Thanks Jesper and Morten, I'll post my reply on the new thread.

#15 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 20:46

1975-08-03 (?) 1st Terry Perkins, Ralt/? RT1, 2nd Anders Olofsson, GRD/Ford 373, 3rd Ulf Svensson, Brabham/Ford BT41, 4th Henrik Spellerberg, GRD/Ford 373, 5th Conny Andersson, March/Toyota 753, 6th Renzo Zorzi, GRD/? 374, etc.

Full (or even partial) results available?

#16 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:30

6th Toyota engine, 7.F.Spreafico(I) GRDToy,8.O.Vejlund(DK) RALT Ford,9. LPerkins (AUS)RALT Ford,10.P.Tenani(I) MARCH Ford,11.L.Karlsson(S) BT38 Ford,Retired:G.Montova (I)MARCH Ford,C.Ljungfeldt (S)MARCH Toy,E.Maring (D)MACOToy,,L.Grassi(I) RALT Ford,F.Wettstein (CH)MARTINI Mk9 Ford , B.Schafer(D)MARCH Ford, G.Savoia(I) MARCH Ford,T.Carlsson(S) ? , L.V.Jensen(DK) GRD374 Ford, S.Zampatti(I) MARCH Toy, G.Capellotto(I) ? ,B.Halik(CZ?) ? Non-starters :T.Thyrring(DK) GRD 375Ford,R.Marazzi(I) RALT Ford

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:19

:clap: :clap:

Ta, Bjørn! :)

#18 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:01

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
6th Toyota engine

... this is the third different engine make I get from three sources... Ford, Lancia or Toyota? :(

It's also interesting to see five Ralts listed, as I have it that only four F3 were manufactured in 1975, and the fourth is about to appear for the first time two weeks later... more :(

#19 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 14:39

I have had access to a copy of the official race result sheet, and it reads as follows (with my personal comments on car/engine choice in parantheses):

1. Terry Perkins, AUS, 40 laps, 30.39,5s (Ralt RT1)
2. Anders Olofsson, S, 40 laps, 30.44,6s (GRD 373 Nova according to the official race programme)
3. Ulf Svensson, S, 40 laps, 30.45,0s (Brabham BT41 according to the official race programme)
4. Henrik Spellerberg, DK, 40 laps, 30.46,6s (GRD)
5. Conny Andersson, S, 40 laps, 30.51,3s (March 753 according to the official race programme)
6. Renzo Zorzi, I, 40 laps, 31.04,1s (no chassis mentioned in the official race programme which states Lancia Bepetto)
7. Fernando Spreafico, I, 40 laps, 31.06,6s (GRD 372 according to the official race programme)
8. Ole Vejlund, DK, 39 laps, 31.02,3s (Maco, but the mechanics had mixed up fourth and fifth gear, which made it difficult for the Dane to race the car)
9. Larry Perkins, AUS, 39 laps, 31.05,3s (Ralt RT1, had a pitstop due to a puncture)
10. Tenani Piergiovanni, I, 38 laps, 30.58,8s (March 733 according to the official race programme)
11. Lasse Karlsson, S, 37 laps, 31.16,2s (Brabham BT38 according to the official race programme)

RTD Thorkild Thyrring, DK, puncture (late entry)
RTD Gaudenzia Mantova, I (March 753 according to the official race programme)
RTD Weffstein Fridolin, CH (Martini Mk9/12 according to the official race programme)
RTD Bertram Schäfer, D (March 743 according to the official race programme)
RTD Luigino Grassi, I (Ralt RT1 according to the official race programme)
RTD Conny Ljungfeldt, S (March 743 according to the official race programme)
RTD Gianni Sauoia, I (March 753 according to the official race programme)
RTD Thorbjörn Carlsson, S (Brabham BT38 according to the official race programme)
RTD Lars Viggo Jensen, DK (late entry, probably GRD)
RTD Zampatti Severo, D (late entry)

DNS Branco H. Halik, YU (Brabham BT41 according to the official race programme)

DNA Roberto Marazzi, I (Ralt RT1 according to the official race programme)
DNA Guido Capellotti, I (March 712 (sic) according to the official race programme)

Advertisement

#20 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:14

:clap: :up:

So we're back to three Ralts, that's better. I have it that Marazzi took over s/n 1 in the end, but perhaps Grassi was given one more race with it, or he had a sort of test outing in s/n 4 before it was send to Germany for Bertram Schäfer (Grassi had already driven one of the 'works' cars at Monza in June).

A few spelling corrections are maybe in order: the Lancia tuner is "Repetto" if I'm not mistaken, it's "Gaudenzio" Mantova (unless his girlfriend was driving...), Fridolin "Wettstein", Gianni "Savoia" and Guido "Cappellotto" (I think). And Tenani is the family name, Piergiovanni the personal one!;)

#21 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:29

Another question: was this race the Danish Grand Prix, or the so-called "Wrangler GP" three weeks later at Jyllandsringen?

#22 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:36

Originally posted by fines
Another question: was this race the Danish Grand Prix, or the so-called "Wrangler GP" three weeks later at Jyllandsringen?

August 2nd-3rd 1975 - Ring Djursland - Grand Prix Danmark '75
August 23rd-24th 1975 - Jyllands-Ringen - Wrangler Grand Prix

#23 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:43

Originally posted by fines
Guido "Cappellotto" (I think).

I'm inclined to "Capellotto" (one p, two l's, two t's). Maybe some TNFer from Italy can tell.

And Tenani is the family name, Piergiovanni the personal one!

Same with Zampatti and Severo (who BTW should be from Italy instead of Germany).

#24 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:50

You are right Rewind , and I believe that Grassis first name was Luciano !

#25 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 16:17

Grassi I have always as Luigino, strange as it seems, and Severo Zampatti I have as an Italian, too, but not so sure since he mainly raced in Germany, maybe he had a German licence?

#26 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 16:18

March 712 for Guido Cappelotto is modified F2 ex Brambilla