Photo

Greenwood Roadway research - photos added!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:26

I got a packet of information in the mail from a former timer at the Greenwood Roadway track including a great photo collection taken by Bill Swartz at the July 19, 1964 race weekend.

I have added them to a gallery on my greenwood page if anyone is interested. Scroll down to the bottom for the latest stuff. I will be scanning some other great documents in the next couple of days too.

Greenwood Roadway Info

Chuck Brandt

Advertisement

#2 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:32

Tremendous, thanks for posting.

Cris

#3 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:38

Wonderful Stuff, highly recommended.

#4 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 13:54

Thanks, I thought it was really cool too, but I'd been looking for something like this for years.

We think this picture is Jim Hall talking to Carroll Shelby in the foreground. Do you guys buy that? Know anyone else in the picture?

Thanks, Chuck

Posted Image

#5 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 13:54

Chuck, Some years ago while working on a project that had me running in and out of Des Moines on a regular basis, I made the effort to find the track one weekend. It was a surprise to find it as easily as I did and to see it in better condition than I expected. I was glad I made the effort since too often places such as Greenwood vanish and it is as if they never existed. Thanks for taking the time and effort to keep folks aware of its place in history. Don

#6 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 14:14

That is definitely not Jim Hall that Shelby is speaking to in the photo. That is certainlly not a Chaparral, but an Elva. Charlie/Chuck Parsons in the background. I don't have my "stuff" at hand, but someone should be able to provide data on the cars and numbers.

#7 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 14:19

Don, thanks you are correct. I saw the white car and assumed. Thanks for the catch. I'll rewrite my version of history :) Dang, I should have realized it was further back in the pack behind a cobra roadster.

Chuck

#8 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 14:48

Hmm... There are 9 elvas in the under 2000cc category. This is a stretch but do you think it might be sometimes cobra driver Charlie Hayes? He was in one of Oliver Schmidt's 3 Elva Porsches that day.

Chuck

Posted Image

#9 brianp

brianp

• 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 17:07

Chuck

Great work documenting Greenwood Roadway. It's amazing that it's still intact as much as it is. I have a program from the June 8 & 9, 1963 regional races if you'd like scans for your website.

Brian

#10 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 17:34

Hey Brian,
Yes I'd love scans of any programs you have.

Thanks, Chuck

chuck@chuckbrandt.com

#11 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 18:11

I just added the rest of the new info, the program, entry list, and official timing charts.

Thanks, Chuck

http://www.chuckbran...m/greenwood.htm

#12 brianp

brianp

• 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 21:44

Chuck

Check your email. I sent you some scans.

Brian

#13 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:33

Thanks Brian,
I added your program the page just now. There are some very interesting entries on the second page. I wonder what George Reed's Ferrari Ford was like? Dick Doane was there with what I guess would be an early gran sport corvette? One lonely cobra. Wonder who won?

Thanks, Chuck

#14 brianp

brianp

• 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:07

Glad I could help you Chuck. It looks great on your site. Hopefully others will post period pics of what looks to be a challenging circuit.

Now we need someone to do the same for Oregon International Raceway near Eugene. I think this may be wishful thinking though.

Brian

#15 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 13:23

is it my imagination, or were alot of US tracks in that era being built with a number of banked turns? Agusta, Austin Raceway Park, Hilltop, Meadowdale and others of the early 60s shared the characteristic. I'm also hard pressed to think of any roadcourse with substantial banking that survived in the US, that is not tied to an oval.

#16 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 13:35

They also don't list this great turn as banked when in fact it is. I wonder if it was reworked at some point.

Chuck

Posted Image
Posted Image