Photo

80th Anniversary at Southport

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:59

There was a gathering today of Vintage and Historic Sunbeams and Talbots to celebrate the World Land Speed Record set on Southport beach exactly 80 years ago today.

Sir Henry Seagrave blasted his Sunbeam to a new WORLD record of 152 mph on the 16th March 1926.

Guest of honour was Mr Ingram who is now 91 years young. Back in 1926 he took a day off school to stand in the sand dunes and watch Seagrave smash the record.

The National Museum brought along the sister car to be displayed as the actual record breaker is in the USA undergoing a massive rebuild and was unavailable.

For those in the North West keep an eye out on Granada's North West evening news for a report.

:wave:

Advertisement

#2 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:27

Has the "Tiger" been sold to the US, then?!

Please, please tell me that it isn't being subjected to one of those "100 Point" restorations :| !

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 14:35

Originally posted by Steve L
Has the "Tiger" been sold to the US, then?!

Please, please tell me that it isn't being subjected to one of those "100 Point" restorations :| !

Unfortunately "Tiger" is now in the hands of an American! :eek:

I have no idea if it is facing the ignomy of a 100 Point Restoration, one hopes not!

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 20:14

It turns out that the 'sister' car that the National Museum brought along was Malcolm Campbell's Sunbeam - Bluebird 1.

It wasn't run up as it is in dire need of the engine rebuild which is scheduled for later in the month - shame really as the stub exhausts might have brought in a larger crowd.

#5 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 20:11

Originally posted by Stephen W
Sir Henry Seagrave blasted his Sunbeam to a new WORLD record of 152 mph on the 16th March 1926.

I've often wondered exactly which stretch of beach was used, over what length. Is it the bit where the natterjack toads are supposed to live?

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 20:15

Posted Image

#7 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 21:13

Glad to hear that the 350HP Sunbeam is getting a well-deserved engine rebuild at last!

Do you know if any other work is being done to the car, Stephen?

I would REALLY like to see it in regular use again at Brooklands, Goodwood.......

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 16:15

What part of the beach?

David asked where on Southport beach the World Record was broken. The short answer is - no one knows! The photographs show the sandunes in the back ground but they change rapidly. The usual haunt for the drivers was Smedley Hydro so somewhere in the proximity of what is now the Pontins Holiday camp is the best guess!

Any other work under way?

Steve L asked what was happening to the Sunbeams. Well Bluiebird 1 which the National Museum brought up is having a complete engine rebuild. I would guess that the rest of the car will be checked over. This should be happening shortly so it could be up and running by mid year. The World Record car which is in the States has been 'completely stripped down' and it will be late in the year before the rebuild is completed. I suspect as it is owned by an American it will stay on the far side of the pond.

#9 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 15:37

Some Pics from the day:

Posted Image

Above: Sir Henry Seagrave's own Sunbeam

Posted Image

Above: the assembled Sunbeams etc on the beach

Posted Image

Above: Bluebird 1 is readied for the 'photo-opportunity'

As you can tell is was VERY cold and VERY windy!

#10 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 16:33

Is there as much sand on Southport beach as in the 1920s?
A daft sounding question , I realise, but I was told recently the changes over the years in the dredging of the nearby river Mersey had shifted the balence and where there had been "seven miles of golden sand" a lot of it was not mud and scrub.
The beach has thus completely altered in it's very nature from it's days as a motor racing venue.
Is this the case?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

#11 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 16:41

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks
A daft sounding question , I realise, but I was told recently the changes over the years in the dredging of the nearby river Mersey had shifted the balence and where there had been "seven miles of golden sand" a lot of it was not mud and scrub.
The beach has thus completely altered in it's very nature from it's days as a motor racing venue.
Is this the case?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

I've heard that dredging in the closer Ribble estuary to the north has also had an effect: now Preston docks aren't used for large shipping the dredging is no longer done, or at least not extensively.

I've lived near Southport for thirty years. I have only seen the sea there about three times. Driving on the beach there has always been popular, but open to abuse. I remember there used to be two cars and a transit van stuck near the end of the pier, buried in the sand up to the wndow line.

#12 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 19:16

Originally posted by simonlewisbooks
Is this the case?

Simon Lewis
Transport Books
www.simonlewis.com

Liverpool Motor Club have been looking into the possibility of restarting the Sand Racing at Southport. Between the tides there is ample space for racing. The Land Speed Record that Seagrave set required a fairly long run up to the measured distance. This would still be achieveable however at what cost? To make the sands safe you need to dig a channel for the full length of the course to seaward. Then you have to harrow the sands, remove the larger shells and stones before rollering the surface. It would take a long time and a lot of manpower and would be prohibitive.
The switch to Pendine was due to the beach being more or less staright whereas at Southport there is a gentle curve. Then Pendine became too short and Daytona became teh place to go. All three were eventually dropped.

As for the beach being 'completely altered' it is in the nature of sand dunes that they alter and the exact location of Seagrave's record breaking run is still not known due to the lack of any fixed features in the photos and footage available.

There is little mud and scub on the Ainsdale and Birkdale part of the beach. Whereas at the Marshside end there are vast areas of grass getting a hold. This may be in some small part due to the cessation of dredging in the Ribble Estuary as mentioned by David Beard.

Back in the 60s I used to have a blast down the beach. I probaly didn't get much above 70 in the Standard Vanguard but it seemed a lot faster due to the uneven surface. You have to admire people like Seagrave for the sheer bravery to get into the cars of his day and drive into the unknown!

#13 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:23

Some earlier photos of Southport beach races from 1932 can be found here

http://www.southport...ead.php?t=49817

#14 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 19:35

I drove along Southport beach on Sunday. It now has a 10mph speed limit.
Pity, in my modern saloon, complete with Electronic Stability Programme or whatever, I felt I could have got up to.....60?

Also, I have been asked....

Regarding Southport and the sand racing rather than the record breaking. Do you know anyone that may have the programme for the event on 30/9/33? Bobbie Baird raced that day and I wanted to know his race number.

Can anyone help?