Photo

1-2s (or thereabouts) with different equipment?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 14:07

This came up on an unrelated RC thread - how many instances similar to Brabham's result at Montreal 1982, where they got the win with two different chassis/engines (the BT50 turbo beating the older Cosworth) have there been? The critera being two distinct chassis and/or powerplants as opposed to minor variations of the same, though a major variation such as a car with active suspension vs. normal or the like might be worth noting too.

Advertisement

#2 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 15:00

Penske at Indy in 2003. De Ferran won in a G-Force, with Castroneves second in a Dallara.

Originally posted by John B
though a major variation such as a car with active suspension vs. normal or the like might be worth noting too.

Hmm...some of Williams' 1-2s in 1987 maybe? Don't know for sure on that one though!

#3 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 15:09

I couldn't remember if it was the case for Williams in 1992 as well - if Patrese had run without active at some races due to being uncomfortable with it or something. IIRC he showed better in 1991 vs. Mansell, but was outclassed the following year.

#4 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 15:16

Not in -92. In -87 just one Williams may have had active suspension at a race or three but I can't say if they finished 1-2 in any of them.

#5 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 15:52

Originally posted by Arska
Not in -92. In -87 just one Williams may have had active suspension at a race or three but I can't say if they finished 1-2 in any of them.

I think Piquet first raced it at Monza where they finished 1-3 - sandwiched by Senna's Lotus. After that, I believe Mansell raced with active as well. Piqyet was 3rd at Estoril, Mansell DNQ. At Jerez Mansell won and Piquet had a nightmare anf finished down in 4th IIRC. In Mexico Mansell won again and Piquet was 2nd - but I think both had the active ride. Then in Japan Mansell crashed...

Upshot - the only time they finished 1-2 after active ride was introduced was Mexico, and I think both drivers raced with it.

In 1992, Patrese didn't like active suspension but always raced with it due to the advantage it gave. His performance drop off from 1991 in relation to Mansell was I believe related to his inability to trust the active ride as much as Nigel - it held him back.

In more recent times I guess the early 1980s was when you would often get different engine combinations as turbos began to replace DFVs. Lauda got a TAG before Watson, and I think de Angelis got a Renault before Mansell? But decent performances were rare - often the DFVs were not competitive and the new turbos were not reliable. I think both McLaren's made it into the top 6 in a 1983 race with different engines though?

EDIT - having done research, Williams ditched active after Jerez (much to Piquet's annoyance), so the system never achieved a 1-2 at that time.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 18:42

1967 South African GP:

1. Rodriguez (Cooper T81-Maserati)
2. Love (Cooper T79-Climax)

1968 Dutch GP:

1. Stewart (Matra MS10-Cosworth)
2. Beltoise (Matra MS11-Matra)