Photo

1968 US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:10

Artemis Images has just posted a selection of images from the 1968 US Grand Prix held at Watkins Glen. I thought you might enjoy these.

ecat.

Artemis Images - 1968 US Grand Prix Photos

Posted Image

Chris Amon in his Ferrari 312 during the 1968 United States Grand Prix Formula One race at Watkins Glen New York, October 6, 1968. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Raymond Golub Memorial Collection.

Posted Image

Jackie Stewart in his number 15 Matra MS10 Cosworth during practice for the 1968 United States Grand Prix Formula One race at Watkins Glen New York, October 6, 1968. Stewart won the race and put himself only 3 points behind eventual 1968 World Champion Graham Hill with only one race left in the season. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Raymond Golub Memorial Collection.

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren in his number 2 McLaren M7A Cosworth during the 1968 United States Grand Prix Formula One race at Watkins Glen New York, October 6, 1968. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Raymond Golub Memorial Collection.

Advertisement

#2 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:35

Great pics, thanks. :up:

#3 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:38

Thanks. I think the images are amazing. Film footage to be live to the Artemis site in the very near future.

#4 Patrik L

Patrik L

• 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:31

Fantastic pictures, thx! A penny for Amon's thoughts there... and isn't it the photographer being reflected outside of the mirror?

#5 CJE

CJE

• 152 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:39

It was a different era, wasn't it?

#6 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 16:33

Great shots !! :up: Dreaded Watermarks :down:

#7 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:38

In image #52, Jackie Stewart in his number 15 Matra MS10 Cosworth during practice, he is wearing a full face helmet of a design I've never seen before or since. Anyone have an idea of what make it is?
http://www.artemisim...photoid=cn04362
It also looks like Graham Hill tried out a similar version in image #105.
http://www.artemisim...photoid=cn04357
Warren

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:30

goodness, they look awful!!

#9 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:46

Originally posted by Keir

You could always support Artemis and buy prints, which would eliminate the watermarks... :up:

#10 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:15

Originally posted by WGD706
In image #52, Jackie Stewart in his number 15 Matra MS10 Cosworth during practice, he is wearing a full face helmet of a design I've never seen before or since. Anyone have an idea of what make it is?
http://www.artemisim...photoid=cn04362
It also looks like Graham Hill tried out a similar version in image #105.
http://www.artemisim...photoid=cn04357
Warren

Looks like some sort of clip-on to the open-face Buco helmet.

#11 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:28

That's a visor attachment to the Stewart Buco !! Very ugly !!

I don't like watermarks and will not support any artist who maims his/her own work !!!! :mad:

#12 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:11

I don't like watermarks and will not support any artist who maims his/her own work !!!! :mad:

Better to have the watermark than not see them on the net at all?

#13 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:20

Indeed David! Isnt it remarkable how sharp these pics are. And the details they disclose:

The paint finish of the Ferrari.....
The metallic red of the Champion decal, quite remarkable.

#14 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:32

If you went to an art gallery and all the paintings and the other "objects" were obsured by watermarks, you would be very pissed off. The internet is no different. Show us your work and let us enjoy it. I am not naive and fully understand the levels at which todays computers and printers can reproduce an image. In my day art was offered for "art's sake" and not for profit. If you must profit from your work, then post smaller versions of your photos, the "dreaded watermarks" make them look like amateur crap !!

#15 gwk

gwk

• 107 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:43

Patrik L wrote:

... and isn't it the photographer being reflected outside of the mirror?

and Arjan de Roos wrote:

Isnt it remarkable how sharp these pics are. And the details they disclose:

Enlargement in PhotoShop (with resampling) makes the camera look very much like and Argus C3 with an auxiliary viewfinder attached. Anybody know whether Ray Golub used such a camera?

#16 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:49

Originally posted by ecat

Posted Image

That photo is lovely in so many ways, so 1968.
The dirty, scratched open face helmet, the messy bundle of visible tubes and pipes tie wrapped to the rollover bar, the crooked Champion sticker, the orange peel Ferrari paint job, the abandoned wheel against the pit counter, atop of which are some oily rags....sigh.

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:54

If you went to an art gallery and all the paintings and the other "objects" were obsured by watermarks, you would be very pissed off. The internet is no different. Show us your work and let us enjoy it. I am not naive and fully understand the levels at which todays computers and printers can reproduce an image. In my day art was offered for "art's sake" and not for profit. If you must profit from your work, then post smaller versions of your photos, the "dreaded watermarks" make them look like amateur crap !!

Can you tell me where on the web I can see your Masten Gregory book? I want to enjoy it, but don't want to pay. I'm sure you agree it should be freely available for art's sake

#18 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 16:35

Well said David !!!The number of times weve been down this road re copyright,Its a wonder anyone put up photos for our enjoyment

#19 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 16:40

Originally posted by David McKinney

Can you tell me where on the web I can see your Masten Gregory book? I want to enjoy it, but don't want to pay. I'm sure you agree it should be freely available for art's sake

I don't disagree with your argument but Joe Fan wrote the Masten Gregory book not Keir

Advertisement

#20 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 17:38

In my day art was offered for "art's sake" and not for profit.

Oh my lord, what total and utter nonsense.

And thanks ecat, these are great pictures.

#21 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 18:30

Originally posted by KJJ

I don't disagree with your argument but Joe Fan wrote the Masten Gregory book not Keir

A thousand apologies, Keir
A senior moment in the middle of doing something else at work :blush:

Thanks KJJ (and one or two others who've contacted me direct)

#22 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 18:52

:rotfl: :rotfl: Funny thing is I don't think any artist will worry about supporting someone like you who thinks it's okay to steal their work.

Of course, it goes without saying that you have never put your name on anything in order to prevent it being stolen by those who believe if it's not tied down then they're free to take it. Nor of course do you have any concept of being paid for one's work.

Neil

#23 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 22:53

use "Paint" to get rid of them

5 minutes and it's a done thing

#24 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 23:04

Now !! Down boys !!

If I took someone's work from the net and offered it as my own, then I'm a thief. If I take someone's work from the net and made a print of it for my own enjoyment, where is the harm ??
BTW, there are very easy ways to prevent the downloading of your images. if you don't take the proper measure to protect your work then it is assumed that downloading of the image is quite OK!! ...... and the "easy" way is NOT watermarks. They just crap up the picture.

The pictures and all sundry are there for enjoyment, RIGHT ???

Do any of you have any idea how many prints of Picasso's work hang in homes, offices and the like??
.... and believe me, Pablo din't get penny one for any of them !!

As for any book that I might write, feel free to ask for a sample chapter. I won't charge you a cent and the print won't be covered in watermarks. If you want the whole book, then feel free to contact the publisher, they are the ones who paid me.

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,876 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 23:12

Originally posted by David McKinney

A senior moment ....

A friend of mine calls this a craft moment (can't remember a f*****g thing) :lol:

#26 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 23:32

Do any of you have any idea how many prints of Picasso's work hang in homes, offices and the like??
.... and believe me, Pablo din't get penny one for any of them !!

But based on European law his heirs get £50000 a year for it ;)
http://www.dcita.gov...rd,_Dr_Jon_.pdf - page 10.

And BTW Pablo -rightfully- didn't do too bad himself in his days.

#27 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 23:40

And that is for slabbing paint onto a bit of canvas,.............the world according to one's
imagination...............realistic ? surrealistic ? ..........that's earning your money ....... yes?

#28 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:18

So Keir,

Why doesn't your publisher post your "art" here for free?? And why do you only want to post a chapter versus your entire work of art.

Did they produce your work, your book, for free? Did you get paid? Did they get paid??

Inquiring minds would like to know.

I welcome hearing your story, maybe you ought to be as receptive to hearing mine.

I have a more descriptive response, but tonight, I think I will refrain.

ecat

#29 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 14:14

If I put my work on the net, it is FREE !! I just won't crap it up with watermarks!

#30 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 14:52

Keir, what do you think the difference is between your offer to put a sample chapter of a book on the web and a watermarked photo?

Don't reply on this thread - in fact if there's another off-topic post I'll close it. Those who understand copyright accept it, and those who don't complain.

The Buco helmets were a rather primative attempt at copying Bell's new and innovotive Star full-face lid. As has been said, it was little more than a fancy visor which located with studs.

Lovely pics, especially the Amon one. :up:

#31 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 15:01

They are lovely pics. My own favourite genre of racing pics is the paddock and pit candids. I used to enjoy ambling around with a 200 mm lens on the old 35mm camera capturing the atmosphere.

Now 35mm is all but dead, and I now use a digital point and shoot. All my 4 inch by 5 inch gear, and my medium format gear, is long gone.

#32 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 15:27

Super photos. Compare Amon's oily, dirty gloves and helmet with Stewart's pristine examples!

Where's the McLaren pic taken - is it the long right-hander near the end of the lap? Can't have been much later than 1968 that they extended Watkins Glen, was it?

#33 Oversteer1

Oversteer1

• 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 17:57

It must have been cold at the "Glen" that year because McLaren's oil cooler
looks to be taped off . Since the race was held in the fall, it doesn't surprise me,
especially if it's an early morning practice.

Mark

#34 Kevin Pinkston

Kevin Pinkston

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 19:25

To those who graciously provide pictures, a big thank-you! I was born on the wrong side of the pond, and at the wrong time in order to experience first hand the more interesting days of racing. Without alot of the good folks here, I would have never had the opportunity to learn more about the passion in my heart!

Respectfully,
Kevin

#35 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 19:41

Originally posted by David Beard

Better to have the watermark than not see them on the net at all?

Ab Soooo Loot leeee !!

#36 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 14:51

I think the difference between the helmets of Stewart and Amon was that Amon liked his helmet to look like a racer's helmet and Stewart liked his to be clean and new each time out.

BTW, Chris tells me he never kept any of his old helmets. I wonder who did ?????

#37 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 18:34

Is it just me or was Stewart experimenting with a new tartan as well?

#38 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 22:54

Jackie used different versions of his famous tartan depending on the painter and helmet.

#39 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 23:11

We are working with an author who is writing a research book regarding helmet design. I forwarded him this link and this is what he had to say:

In 1968 Dan Gurney introduced the Bell Star, the first full face helmet, at the Indy 500 and later at the German Grand Prix. After that the rest of the helmet industry tried to catch up with various adaptations of their own design. The Stewart photo shows a face plate that has been attached to his open face helmet to create the full face look. I don't know whether he ever wore it again after this practice session but the concept did not really catch on.

I thought you might find the comment interesting. Artemis Images has posted additional images to the collection, so keep checking back for new photos to comment on.

ecat. :)

Advertisement

#40 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:07

Sorry, but I am again responding to this thread due to 100% emotion, rather than ratio...
But look at this other Amon pic from the US GP. Note not only the expression on Amons face but also the shades of Ferrari red. As a modeller (semi professional) I have heard so many stories on Ferrari red, but read several Ferrari mechanic accounts that they simply used any color coming close to, what Ferrari had defined, as Ferrari red. His car has two Ferrari reds!

Understand I am not involved with Artemis, but I think of buying some prints. Not only for their friendly prices, but only as I impossibly could have been their at 0 (heh) and I didn't have a camera either, yet.

http://www.artemisim...photoid=cn04420

#41 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 14:21

Amon's expression is certainly worth pondering !! :lol:

BTW, the various shades are more to do with Kodak's and other film suppliers inability to reproduce the exact color seen by the "naked" eye. Anyone who ever saw the "bright' reds of STP MARCH and in some cases Marlboro McLaren in the early 70's can attest to that.

#42 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 16:35

So as to avoid any unnecessary confusion (and visits to the opticians), only a couple of STP March 701s were turned out in dayglo red during 1970... ;)

Mario Andretti's Granatelli entry on most occasions, and Jo Siffert's at Monaco being examples.

#43 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 17:08

Well, it's a little bit blurry, but I like the constrast between the Gulf McLaren orange and the STP Eagle 'DayGlo' red.

Posted Image

#44 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 14:28

Stuart,
You should have come to Watkins Glen for the GP's, the MARCHs and McLarens were almost always decked out in the bright reds. "DayGlo", BTW is a copyrighted term and the teams did not use that particular company's paint, so it's incorrect to call the color "DayGlo" red.

#45 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 18:02

Ecat:

Thanks for making my day! Wonderful work!