Photo

Drivers and their personal business

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 13:34

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it on the search facility. Perhaps it's just another 'fluff'-issue'. But when I read that Giancarlo Fisichella has launced his own perfume brand, I started wondering about drivers from the past who had some sort of personal business during their career. I know that Ben Pon produces wine, which he probably started after his career as a driver. Nowadays, it's nothing special for a driver to have his own clothing brand, or even be involved in skin care products. Do we know other examples of race drivers giving their name for some commercial product?

Advertisement

#2 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:14

Paddy Hopkirk, Les Leston, Jack Brabham (The Brabham Viva!) Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi

#3 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:37

I recall adverts of Niki Lauda men fragrance products in the dutch racing mags of 1979-1980. I dont recall these really being sold.
Didnt he also start a airline company during his career? ;)

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,586 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:40

Roger Clark was involved with Cossack Hair Spray for Men.

Senna had a whole selection of personalised goodies from Tee-shirts to baseball caps.

:wave:

#5 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:43

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
I recall adverts of Niki Lauda men fragrance products in the dutch racing mags of 1979-1980. I dont recall these really being sold.
Didnt he also start a airline company during his career?  ;)

" Lauda air " , but it seems that it didn't really take off :rolleyes:

#6 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 14:46

Originally posted by Stephen W

Senna had a whole selection of personalised goodies from Tee-shirts to baseball caps.

:wave:

plus IIRC mountain bikes, watches and motorbikes, which all still carry quite a premium among collectors.

RL

#7 Tomas Karlsson

Tomas Karlsson

• 681 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:03

Jo Bonnier had a lot of business intrests during his career. I don't know if his racing gave his art gallery any sales boost, but he tried to sell American ice-studs under his own name: "Bon-Grip".

#8 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:06

Originally posted by Stephen W
Roger Clark was involved with Cossack Hair Spray for Men.

Just a sponsorship deal, surely?

#9 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:31

Hands up everyone who believed that purchasing a pair of the great man's driving gloves would make their 848cc Mini go faster. ;)
Posted Image
Pic respectfully lifted from Motor Racing Year 1964-5, Knightsbridge Publications.

#10 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:35

In the early seventies, Jacky Ickx promoted his sunglasses (I believe he was wearing them on the 1972 Nürburgring podium) just like Fittipaldi. Jackie Stewart promoted jackets and caps. I once had a white shirt with Stommelen's helmet embroidered on it. There must be many more...

#11 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 15:39

Chris Amon also promoted driving gloves, I guess we discussed that in the famous Amon thread.

#12 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 17:33

Originally posted by WHITE

" Lauda air " , but it seems that it didn't really take off :rolleyes:

http://www.laudaair....ex.php?id=4&L=1

#13 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 17:39

Niki Lauda? Isn't he the bloke who hires out Smart cars

#14 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 402 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 17:57

Growing grapes for wine production seems to be quite a popular passtime for racing drivers. Jarno Trulli does so, and Jean Alesi.

And Dutch circuit designer Hans Hugenholtz made up a story about growing grapes in the infield of Zandvoort. There was even a wine label by the name of "Hugenholtz Bocht" (bocht in Dutch has a double meaning: 1. corner, 2. a very badly tasting (alcoholic) beverage), but it was a joke for April fools' day. The story, along with a special offer for readers, was published in the long-defunct Dutch motoring monthly, Auto Selekt, somewhere in the mid-1980s, IIRC.

#15 Don Speekingleesh

Don Speekingleesh

• 1,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 18:02

Lauda now has a budget airline called FlyNiki.

#16 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 18:04

Originally posted by Pedro 917

Chris Amon also promoted driving gloves...

His line, or range, was known as 'Golden Kiwi'. I have a couple of stickers the same as the ones he wore on the sides of his helmet circa 1971/2.

#17 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 18:28

Originally posted by Pedro 917
In the early seventies, Jacky Ickx promoted his sunglasses (I believe he was wearing them on the 1972 Nürburgring podium)...

I'm sure I had a Jacky Ickx wristwatch. It came in a miniature Bellstar helmet.

#18 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 21:28

During a racing career? I guess Carroll Shelby's chili fixin's and his underarm deodorant Pit Stop are outside the pale?

#19 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 21:40

Are we talking sponsorship, permitting an unrelated manufacturer to brand a product with their name (e.g Jim Clark driving gloves), starting a business not related to motor racing but to take advantage of their celebrity - or going racing off the back of their business. If the latter - there must be hundreds of garage owners and motor dealers, going right back to the start of motor racing after WW2, and probably before: Hawthorn, the aforementioned Paddy Hopkirk (my first girlfriend bought her first Mini from Paddy Hopkirk Garages - I bought my first Toyota from his mechanic's eponymous Neville Johnson Garages - because BMC would not let Paddy sell them, so Paddy set Neville up in a separate business with himself as the majority shareholder and (sort of) silent partner. Ninian Sanderson was a Fiat dealer in Glasgow, I recall. Right up to the present day: isn't Frank Syntner (?spelling) one of the biggest BMW dealers in the country?

Advertisement

#20 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 21:53

no one has touched on Mr Moss, he has been into so many things , books in the fifties and today Jenks pace note roller replica . I have a red crash helmet ( plastic , for kids) which was endorsed by SMoss .

#21 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 22:21

Does anybody remember the Jack Brabham kangaroo skin driving gloves? Maurice Trintignant's "Le Petoulet" wine?

And totally non motor sport related, there's Jody Scheckter's security business.

#22 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 22:22

Regga had his own line of clothing (sold in the UK by somewhere called the Bomba Boutique in Brighton)- I actually still have a pair of his jeans (very 70s), kept mainly because of the fabulous helmet logo on the back pocket.

There is also Paulo Barilla's pasta, and Hubertus Bahlsen's biscuits - somehow don't think those companies were built off the back of their racing successes!

#23 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 22:37

My grand-father Andre had a Ford dealership and workshop in the 50s:
Posted Image
You can read on this postcard he was using the trick he was a 1954 Belgian champion to boost the business but my grand-mother was infact making most of the sales (something about the potential buyer's wife to whom she could make the real sale to.)
Bit later on, there was a big picture of the yellow D50 in the front window of the dealership.
He also had a driving-school around that time, with a 4CV, and he used to teach the local nuns to drive.
Finally, there was the racing school at Zolder a decade later indeed!
Posted Image

#24 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:48

In the kitchen pantry today I see Paul Newman pasta sauce and a packet of Michael Schumacher Collection Tagliatelle. Also have a few bottles of Mario's Cab Sav. tucked away.

#25 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:43

Barilla pasta I remember reading somewhere was the family business .

#26 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:06

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Regga had his own line of clothing (sold in the UK by somewhere called the Bomba Boutique in Brighton)- I actually still have a pair of his jeans (very 70s), kept mainly because of the fabulous helmet logo on the back pocket.

There is also Paulo Barilla's pasta, and Hubertus Bahlsen's biscuits - somehow don't think those companies were built off the back of their racing successes!

Plus Regga watches

#27 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:20

Does Arie Luyendyk still have the art gallery in Scotsdale area?

#28 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:32

The Regazzoni logo

Posted Image

#29 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:43

There is also a sod by the name of Gatsonides........!

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:01

ISTR that during their racing careers Teo and Corrado Fabi were also actively involved in the running of the family talc mine.

#31 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:28

Graham Hill and Speedwell Performance Conversions

#32 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:30

IIRC Sir Stirling added his endorsement to a re-spraying business/process in the 60s, and also had an involvement with a coupe bodied Cortina GT. I recall pictures with SM 7 , or 7 SM plates on such a vehicle.

RL

#33 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:41

Originally posted by Sharman
There is also a sod by the name of Gatsonides........!

Well a darn good rally driver as well as technician. I know the Gatso speed camera's, I love them as much as you do. But still a nice piece of technique. Check out http://www.gatso.nl/

#34 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:37

Originally posted by David Beard

Just a sponsorship deal, surely?

Yes. Business was Clarks of Narborough, Porsche dealership, until, I think, it went under in a recession.

#35 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:41

Stefan Johansson had/has a line of rather nice watches.

#36 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 15:55

Originally posted by Pikachu Racing
Does Arie Luyendyk still have the art gallery in Scotsdale area?

In the early nineties, Arie's father told me that it wasn't really Arie's Art Gallery. They named the Gallery after him and he received a commission on the sales. It doesn't exist anymore.

#37 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 15:58

Niki Lauda's sunglasses:

Posted Image Posted Image

#38 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 17:21

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos

Well a darn good rally driver as well as technician. I know the Gatso speed camera's, I love them as much as you do. But still a nice piece of technique. Check out http://www.gatso.nl/

I believe, ironically, that Gatsonides lost his driving licence thanks to his own invention.

If we're including family businesses, there's Sandro Nannini's family coffee/bakery business and the Bergers' transport business. I understand Nelson Piquet owns some freight tracking business - they sponsor his son in GP2

#39 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 18:30

Even after he'd got into F1, Derek Warwick was still working at the family business Warwick trailers.

Steve Thompson ran the Walsall car dealership bearing his name (originally his father's business) plus a car parts import/export comany while he was in F5000 and slaoons, if not long before too.

Advertisement

#40 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 18:37

I saw a Vauxhall van today on the M25 with a number plate name showing "Jack Brabham Garages" with a central London (0207) number.

Didn't realise there were any garages still operating under the Brabham name.

#41 A E Anderson

A E Anderson

• 86 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 23:42

1947-48 Indianapolis 500 winner Mauri Rose simply took a couple of weeks vacation from his engineering job at Chevrolet, to go to Indy, qualify, then run the race. His teammate and 1949 Indy winner, Bill Holland, ran a roller skating rink when not off to the races.

Art

#42 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 00:45

Of course, a certain JM Fangio had a rather nice business selling Mercedes cars and trucks in Argentina.

#43 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:41

Last time I was in New Milton, Hants, I observed a long red articulated truck with 'Hayton Coulthard' writ large turning from Station Road into Gore Road. Those who know the particular intersection will agree that this is an accomplishment of some merit!

#44 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:01

I know there's a paint store in Houston called AJ Foyt Paints. Not sure he owns it; likely used his name as selling purposes.

#45 d.emerson

d.emerson

• 86 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:53

Eric Comas rents historic rally cars (Alpine).

#46 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:47

Originally posted by Vanwall
Last time I was in New Milton, Hants, I observed a long red articulated truck with 'Hayton Coulthard' writ large turning from Station Road into Gore Road. Those who know the particular intersection will agree that this is an accomplishment of some merit!

That's DC's father's firm - David was fairly lavishly backed by them in Formula Ford.

Gunnar Nilsson's family also had a transport business, IIRC.

Off-topic, but.... I haven't been to New Milton since a very strange party in the late 80s. I'd partaken of plenty of Scruttock's Owd Dirigible and a few "jazz woodbines" and, as was my wont at the time, fallen asleep under a table in the small hours.

I was woken at 6am on Sunday by a splendidly pneumatic blonde with the most spectacularly Mamie van Doren-ish knockers (look, nostalgia doesn't only have to be about racing....); I knew her from several hundred miles away and a completely different circle of people and had been lusting after her seeking to make her acquaintance more intimately for some time, but had no idea she'd be at the party.... anyway, she prodded me awake and for a moment I thought "eyup, your luck's in here"... and she...

....asked me if I knew of a Catholic Church in the vicinity!

:confused: :drunk: :smoking:

#47 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,010 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:14

You should have asked her if she had something to confess...and, if not, that you could have assisted in that regard.

#48 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 18:10

Someone say "Mamie Van Doren"?

More

She is truly a piece of work.

See Girls Town (1959) and High School Confidential, also called The Young Hellions (1958) for a racing connection. I think she was involved with a prominent driver, but have forgotten which.

--
Frank S

#49 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:05

Originally posted by Frank S

See Girls Town (1959) and High School Confidential, also called The Young Hellions (1958) for a racing connection. I think she was involved with a prominent driver, but have forgotten which.

--
Frank S

Nothing like Pamela Anderson, who has apparently been seen stepping out with Eddie Irvine recently!!!

#50 Leo

Leo

• 253 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:03

Some drivers set up management companies, like MB2 (Brundle/Blundell), making money of the 'next generation'.

I don't know if product endorsements count as business, but I suspect every driver has at least some merchandise available, t-shirts, caps and stuff. Some drivers lend their name to related businesses like raceteams (Fisichella, Raikkonen). Michael Schumacher is king of endorsements, he has over 300 products bearing his name. Most controverial of course the "AEG Vampyr Michael Schumacher Edition". Does Schumi really suck??

Posted Image