Photo

Photos from the 1967 & 1968 Canadian GPs

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:13

More scanning and digitization efforts under way....hope you enjoy these images from 1968 Canadian Grand Prix at Mont Tremblanc. Many more images on their way up to the site.

Enjoy!

ecat

1968 Canadian Grand Prix at Mont Tremblanc

Posted Image

Denny Hulme in his number 1 McLaren M7A Cosworth during practice for the 1968 Canadian Grand Prix Formula One race at the Mont-Tremblant circuit in St. Jovite Quebec. Hulme won the race. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Ray Golub memorial collection.

Posted Image

Johnny Servoz-Gavin in the number 15 Matra MS10 Cosworth during practice for the 1968 Canadian Grand Prix Formula One race at the Mont-Tremblant circuit in St. Jovite Quebec. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Ray Golub memorial collection.

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren in his number 2 McLaren M7A Cosworth consults with Tyler Alexander (red shirt) during practice for the 1968 Canadian Grand Prix Formula One race at the Mont-Tremblant circuit in St. Jovite Quebec. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Ray Golub memorial collection.

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:05

Fantastic pics!

#3 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:38

:clap:
finally yeaahhhh a good M5A BRM photo !!
the others are all great as well :p

#4 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:57

Er.............no, it's an M7-DFV, or rather two of them.

There WAS a good colour shot of Bruce in the M5 in Canada in Motor Sport's colour review in October 1967 - this one:
http://www.bruce-mcl...es/m5a_1967.jpg

Paul M

#5 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:57

Great pictures Chris!
I'm looking forward to see the Rodriguez pictures I've ordered.
Keep up the good work.

Luc

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:10

Originally posted by Macca

There WAS a good colour shot of Bruce in the M5 in Canada in Motor Sport's colour review in October 1967 - this one:

Paul M

Have you checked out Image 7 in the link posted by Ecat? I assume that is the one Marc is referring to.

#7 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:08

I have driven the current circuit. I can't imagine doing that in the day. Great photos that make me hunger to drive one of those McLaren, what neat race cars.

#8 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 13:19

Ugh !!

#9 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 14:26

Keir:

Is the Ugh! for me or are you still not over the watermark issue?

#10 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 14:44

In the first picture, there's a red sticker on the McLaren and on Hulme's helmet. Was this some kind of scrutineering sticker used in Canada? I have a picture of Pedro talking to Bianchi during the Le Mans 24H (one week later) and Pedro has that sticker on his helmet too.

#11 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 14:52

Pedro 917:

I think you're probably right. They always tech the car and our driving kit. So a sticker goes on the helmet and one on the car, so the pitlane marshals can clearly see them. Otherwise we're not allowed on the track.

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 14:59

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Keir:

Enough!

#13 tyreiron

tyreiron

• 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 17:14

Is that a youthful Ron Dennis behind the rear tyre of 'The Guvnor's' BT26 in the first photo on this page on the Artemis website?:

http://www.artemisim...photoid=cn04506

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 17:58

What is the #22 and who is the driver?

BTW, there are some good Italian food places in Mont Tremblant, good prices and good quality.

#15 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 18:18

its the mclaren m5a brm with the jo bonnier team color and normallywith jo bonnier at the wheel but base on that pictures im not so sure that its bonnier, and yes theres many good restaurant .hotel and b&b in the area of st-jovite/mont tremblant , thats why i always stay the whole weekend for the vintage racing event ("le sommet des légendes" the 9-10-11 of june this year) it would be a very good weekend trip anyway

#16 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 18:38

Wonderful photos. Many Thanks.

#17 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 19:33

Paul M

a DFV BRM in the yellowish Bonnier M75 ?

#18 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 19:35

Paul M

and Bruce is there in this red one as well
3 pics as a matter of fact

#19 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 19:38

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Keir:

2 minutes and it's gone

Advertisement

#20 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 19:39

Originally posted by philippe charuest
its the mclaren m5a brm with the jo bonnier team color and normallywith jo bonnier at the wheel but base on that pictures im not so sure that its bonnier, and yes theres many good restaurant .hotel and b&b in the area of st-jovite/mont tremblant , thats why i always stay the whole weekend for the vintage racing event ("le sommet des l駥ndes" the 9-10-11 of june this year) it would be a very good weekend trip anyway

Yes as far as I can tell that is Bonnier in his M5A

#21 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 20:02

2 minutes and it's gone

Fine...let's push us to watermark over the entire blasted image to help protect and preserve the images and to keep you from photoshopping out the copyright. Did you ever think about actually buying an image...they don't have any watermarks on them and you would help in the continuation of preserving the history. "2 minutes and it's gone" is such BS for the people who actually have put everything on the line for the sport you love. It is so disrespectful for those of us that have our a$$es on the line everyday to make sure these collections are saved and available for your viewing pleasure.

...let's see if you can match my story (this was going to be my response to Keir's post on the previous thread, but I chose not to respond. Maybe now is a good time:

First and foremost, Artemis Images is in business to preserve history. That takes people, scanners, bandwidth and images. The collections that I have personally bought to save equal hundreds of thousands of dollars. Without publishers, agencies, decorators and yes fans purchasing (or licensing) these photos they would not be saved.

In fact, the Ray Golub archive was only days away of being thrown into the trash. Gone forever. Can you imagine?? Ray's art would be nothing more than landfill. To haul around several million images after his passing was just getting too taxing on the family. Luckily, we could save it in time.

I have purchased many other archives for the same reasons. Can you say that you have put your career, your life savings and your future endeavors on the line to save the history you claim you love so much??

I think a watermark is a small inconvenience to deal with to make sure the image is not used for the wrong purpose.

You know most days I walk back to our production department and say, "wow....we saved more images today...it was a great day."

Today...I just feel like why bother.

ecat

#22 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 20:27

Chris

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the vast majority of TNF members wholeheartedly appreciate the images you've posted here (and in other threads), and the fact that they're also available as prints. Most of us are alert enough to realise when we're being 'treated' to some special stuff...

And I'm equally sure that those same members also share your exasperation when certain other folk simply cannot refrain from venting their negative views, in spite of having been requested to desist.

Please... do not let this minority distract you from your efforts!

:up:

NB: In future, all 'anti-watermark' posts (or of that ilk) will be deleted, and the posters repremanded accordingly. There is no justification for such rants or remarks, and I will not allow it to spoil the enjoyment of the vast majority.

#23 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 20:57

Originally posted by Twin Window

NB: In future, all 'anti-watermark' posts (or of that ilk) will be deleted, and the posters repremanded accordingly. There is no justification for such rants or remarks, and I will not allow it to spoil the enjoyment of the vast majority.

:clap: Well said...

2 minutes and it's gone

It would take us less than that to get rid off certain... well, posts... to say the least :rolleyes:

Keep Up the good job, ecat. :up:

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 21:25

Originally posted by Twin Window
Chris

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the vast majority of TNF members wholeheartedly appreciate the images you've posted here (and in other threads), and the fact that they're also available as prints. Most of us are alert enough to realise when we're being 'treated' to some special stuff...

And I'm equally sure that those same members also share your exasperation when certain other folk simply cannot refrain from venting their negative views, in spite of having been requested to desist.

Please... do not let this minority distract you from your efforts!

I most heartily endorse Stuart's sentiments.

Please, Chris, do not let the views of (I believe) a very small minority on this forum put you off posting more of your superb images.

#25 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 21:45

Originally posted by macoran
:clap:
finally yeaahhhh a good M5A BRM photo !!
the others are all great as well :p

I am afraid my "2 minutes and its gone" has been misinterpreted.
To end the whole thing I will not elaborate

#26 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 21:46

To all of you....thanks. A long day and I am sorry if I took anyone's comments out of context. I apologize for my rant.

Okay, to get things back on track....here is a group of images from 1967 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport

Enjoy!

ecat ;)

1967 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport

Posted Image

Graham Hill in the number 4 Lotus 49 Cosworth during the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport Park. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Raymond Golub Memorial Collection.

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren in his number 19 McLaren BRM during practice for the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport Park. This photo was taken by Ray Golub and is part of the Raymond Golub Memorial Collection.

Posted Image

Jim Clark talks with a crew member after practicing in his Lotus 49 Cosworth for the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport Park. This photograph was taken by Raymond Golub and is part of the Raymond Golub Memorial Collection.

#27 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 21:58

Thanks Chris. I want to echo Stuart and others thoughts and gratitude for your posting.
Sorry about the minority view :rolleyes:

I want those two Lotus shots (the one of Graham and the one of Jimmy) so will be ordering later tonight when I get home.

#28 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 22:23

Nice shot of Bruce, he rarely used the brim on his helmet.

#29 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 22:52

I have donated 204 color images to the Argetsingers Research Center at Watkins Glen along with my entire magazine collection. They are available for your research and your enjoyment for free. If you attend the fund raiser in September you will be able to bid on a 11x16 print of the Drivers Meeting from 1971. This way you can help this fine facility to grow and flourish.

#30 ecat

ecat

• 44 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 23:43

David,

Thank you for saving history. I hear horror stories everyday about collections that are either in the wrong conditions and deteriorating due to time and the effects of time or simply discarded. Saving history is why I continue to do what I do even on the difficult days.

It is too bad that before your very generous donation that the collection wasn't digitized. Can you imagine have a collection such as yours digitized by a company that understands licensing and rights management, doesn't take away ownership rights from the content owner, allows researchers and enthusiasts to view the content online from anywhere in the world for free?

Enjoyment of the history via your home or office by simply logging on.

Hmmm.....

And yes, I might just show up and bid on a magnificent photographic print. Thanks for the info.

ecat.

#31 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:20

The new technology is amazing. I was lucky that my stuff survived so well over the years. Let not even get into the Internet! Now you can talk to the world in a second and search millions of pages quickly. Let's use these tools wisely and responsibly. It's the next best thing to modern racing safety.

#32 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:29

Those images are simply outstanding!! :up: :up: :up:

Neil

#33 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:46

Originally posted by ecat

Today...I just feel like why bother.

ecat

Ecat, if I find time I will certainly order some of your fine prints. You are doing a great job!

#34 zoff2005

zoff2005

• 277 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 15:26

These are great photos. I went to both races and it seems just like yesterday. The 1967 photo of Jim Clark shows him talking to Dick Scammel with Keith Duckworth looking over his shoulder. Who is the other mechanic, he looks familiar? They must have been taken on one of the practice days as the race day was horrid and wet.

#35 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 15:50

Who is the other mechanic, he looks familiar?

Alan McCall (of Tui fame)?

#36 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 16:21

That's what I thought

#37 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 17:45

I have only just read through this thread... Not just because we are in precisely the same boat with our GP Library Collection which includes tens of thousands of negs and colour transparencies captured by the effort and talent and investment of Geoffrey Goddard, Franco Lini, Nigel Snowdon, Zooom Photographic, Jabby Crombac and Maurice-Louis Branger - amongst others - I am absolutely with you Chris/Artemis.

Well done - more power to your elbow...

One aspect of Internet use/users which I really cannot stomach is the loudly expressed conviction that what's yours should be mine, give it all to me right now, FOC. Yes - well, as far as I am concerned that attitude can FRO. :cool:

DCN

...and, yes, that is Alan McCall of subsequent Tui fame, while trying to get by behind Jimmy is, I believe, Brian Heywood (Haywood, Heyward???) of Firestone.

#38 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 21:19

On a more nostalgic note.... Canada 1968 was my very first Grand Prix event. I cajoled my parents into driving me up on race day (they promptly went off for a picnic lunch on some lake) and I wandered about, Brownie in hand, and stared at race cars and mini-skirts! It was quite an awakening for a young lad just 16. And it must have planted a seed as I have attended every single subsequent CDN GP regardless of my various postal codes. Great memories and I may just have to purchase a print or two. Cheers to the preservationists!