1969 French F3 Championship

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 18:23

Hi,

browsing some results on the Net, I've found a strange situation here .

Did the "XIV Prix de Paris 1969" had two winners?

thanks.

Advertisement

#2 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 18:59

Reine Wisell had a column in the Swedish magazine 'Illustrerad Motor Sport', and he had this to say (translated from Swedish) about this race in the July 1969 issue:

"... But the big fight was between Tim Schenken and me. We swapped the lead of the race, and when we started the last lap Tim was a little ahead. But I slip-streamed him on the finishing straight and dived out just right. Well, it wasn't exactly just right. It was a dead heat between Tim and me. We had the same time and the finishing judges couldn't separate us! Dead heats aren't exactly common."

/Conny

#3 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 18:10

:up:
thanks conjohn.

Although dead heats aren't exactly common, the same thing happened a few weeks earlier at the Magny-Cours meeting... very strange indeed.

#4 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 18:19

That's why 1 Litre F3 produced the best racing EVER!

#5 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:31

Can someone please provide me with the final points standings for the 1969 French F3 Championship?

#6 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:59

I don't understand: according to the (fantastic!) Formula 2 Register, Wisell and Schencken did not finish exactly simultaneously during either of the two heats, but Wisell's column seems to suggest they did.

F2 Register says that it was a dead heat only after their times of both heats were added.

#7 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:10

Originally posted by Rob Semmeling
I don't understand: according to the (fantastic!) Formula 2 Register, Wisell and Schencken did not finish exactly simultaneously during either of the two heats, but Wisell's column seems to suggest they did.

F2 Register says that it was a dead heat only after their times of both heats were added.

I think the race was two 10 lap heats followed by a 20 lap final. The result is not the times of two heats added together.

#8 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:26

Originally posted by Cirrus
That's why 1 Litre F3 produced the best racing EVER!

I'll second that. It spoiled me for anything else. Was there ever a dull processional race in that formula?

#9 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:47

Originally posted by Kpy

I think the race was two 10 lap heats followed by a 20 lap final. The result is not the times of two heats added together.

Ah, yes, now I see. Thanks for that.