Photo

OT - introduce me to UK Club motorsport

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:04

Hi, sorry for the OT thread but I can think of no better place to ask! :)

I'm still fairly new to the UK, but now I am established I'd like to start exploring the Club motorsport scene a bit. I've had a look around the ten-tenths forum Calendar but am kind of overwhelmed by the amount of events and acronyms so I thought I'd ask here instead.

I'd like to hear your best recommendations for sub-international level motorsport within around 3 hours of West London. Circuit sprints, hillclimb, historics, rally/cross, I'd like to have a look.

I'll probably have to hire a car and drive out most times so it will be a little bit expensive. I did Goodwood last year and will be doing it again.

Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:16

Depends entirely on your personal interests, zac - favourite period? F1 or other single-seaters (or none)? Production sportscars? Saloons?
Each organising club will have a different emphasis

#3 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:48

If your interests include 50s/60s/70s saloons, sportscars, GTs and single seaters, then the Brands Superprix (6th and 7th May) is worth a visit. You might even find some TNFers racing there.

#4 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:49

I do have a pretty keen interest in F1 but I'm trying to push that aside for the time being :) The truth is that F1 is expensive and inaccesible compared to almost any other form of motorsport.

My preference would be to see racing that is a little less restricted by the rules and may involve a bit of owner innovation in the build of the car. Dirt or tarmac doesn't matter - I'll spend more than half the day in the pits anyway!

That said, the Osella in the other thread (Spa Classic LMES) looked quite impressive. I'd also like to see the Juno SS racing somewhere.

#5 James Page

James Page

• 368 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:49

A round of the British Hillclimb Championship at Shelsley Walsh is a must.

Castle Coombe is within easy reach of West London thanks to the M4. Not sure what their calendar is like now - they keep getting walloped with various noise restrictions. Sadly you've just missed the Top Hat historic meeting there, to which Marcus Pye gave a glowing report in this week's Autosport.

For historic stuff, the last VSCC meeting I went to (at Oulton Park - somewhere else you must try and visit, even if it's a bit of a trek from London) was great fun. You can't go far wrong with the aforementioned Top Hat brigade, either.

As David had already said, it very much depends on what floats your boat!

#6 Lee Shells

Lee Shells

• 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:01

Agree entirely with James about Shelsley Walsh as a venue to visit.

And if zac510 is interested in something "that is a little less restricted by the rules and may involve a bit of owner innovation in the build of the car." what better than a Shelsley Special of the Spider/Farley Mark 2/Mannic persuasion.

A VSCC circuit/hill climb/sprint event may also be worth a go and of course the big Mallory Park 50th anniversary event is quite soon.

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 15:40

Zac, for the British Hillclimb Championship visit Gurston Down near Salisbury; for the British Sprint Championship visit Lydden Hill; try to get to Prescott in early August for the VSCC Hillcimb meeting as it is wonderful; you could also try to fit in the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Goodwood Revival both in easy reach. Shelsley Walsh is a must for the atmosphere and history of motor sport, much more so than Goodwood FoS.

It all depends on what level you are interested for instance there are lots of Club Sprints at Goodwood Circuit for instance. There is a nice relaxed week-end of club hillclimbing at Longleat (watch out for the lions!). Not sure about the Brighton Speed Trials as I have never been but must be well worth a day trip!

Whatever you end up doing enjoy it!

:wave:

#8 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 16:24

From West London you can't get much closer motorsport than Longcross, near the junction of the M3 and M25. There is a sprint there this Sunday (it is a no spectator venue but most clubs need help of some form and will be pleased to hear from any volunteers).

#9 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 17:27

Thanks guys. I like all sorts of cars really! Over here (compared to Aus) I'm so spoilt for motorsport choice that I need a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

The Brands Superprix sounds like it has some excellent variety. I'll put Shelsley Walsh on the short list too. I regretted missing the Revival last year - I had a ticket too. That's in September.

Does anybody follow Rallycross?

#10 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 17:35

If you want to see karting then Blackbushe is 15 minutes down the M3, probably a couple of quid to get in but a good circuit to spectate at due to the high spectator banks http://www.camberley-kartclub.co.uk/

#11 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:12

Rallycross dates can be found here http://www.rallycros...com/events.html
You just missed the Easter event at Lydden, the only south-east venue. The next is at the end of August

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:54

Obvious sources:

'What's on' in Autosport and Motorsport News

Most circuits and clubs have websites, but some say more about the corporate hospitality than the racing!

If you go onto Cefax and go to the motor racing pages (360 onwards I think) there is a page that gives phone numbers for all UK circuits. If you phone them, most can provide a programme of events for the year.

#13 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 15:12

Castle Combe’s easy to get to, a few minutes from M4 junction 17. You’ll find details of all events at www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk but perhaps your best bet would be the Classic Race Day on 5th August. It’s always a very pleasant occasion with various HSCC races along with some excellent club racing in the regular circuit championships.

#14 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 16:11

Or the Castle Combe sprint on 1 July, for which there is no spectator entry charge.

#15 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 17:33

Thanks all - I've compiled a calendar of events I would like to see which covers Shelsley Walsh, britsports, rallycross at Lydden and lots more :) I won't make it to all of them but I'll try :D

#16 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 18:57

For those who might be considering a trip to the Brands Historic Superprix, here's the timetable...

http://www.hscc.org......206-7 May.pdf

and here's the entry list...

http://www.hscc.org......Hatch MAY.pdf

And the entry list doesn't even include the Historic Grand Prix Cars Association events. Taking into account the nature of the Brands Paddock layout, and the 300+ entry, there could be some ugly "paddock rage" incidents!

BTW - any TNFers going?

#17 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:32

I am still thinking of going on Saturday. Do you think I could ride my bike from Swanley to Brands?

On the website it says 3 miles but it looks like A-roads almost all the way :(

#18 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 15:32

It is definitely possible. There's a whole network of B roads and unclassified roads around Brands that the police used to use for traffic routing from big meetings avoiding the A2 and A20. Get a 1:50 000 map from any half decent newsagent or use Multimap.

I have a suspicion that there may even be a bus from Swanley to West Kingsdown going past the main entrance on the old A20 (not the M20).

#19 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 18:22

Zac510, for the 1986 Grand Prix I walked from Swanley to Brands, so even allowing for road development I should think you could find a cycling route.

APL

Advertisement

#20 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 19:18

3 miles is about what I ride to work every day so I'm sure I will cope :) If I drag along some friends then I can split the cab fare.

I bought last week's autosport and became all enthused by the review of the HSCC Cadwell Park event!

Thanks for the help.

#21 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 20:37

see you there, then!

#22 Greystone

Greystone

• 124 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:46

zac510,

I live in this area and know it well. I will PM you with some information on getting from Swanley to Brands.

Andrew

#23 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:27

No urgency, I think i have it all sorted out now, thanks :)

#24 Greystone

Greystone

• 124 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:33

zac510,

Have PM 'd you anyway.

I didn't bother to check if you had responded before I sent it.

Sorry.

Andrew