Photo

Nigel Mansell living in Florida

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 00:57

I have read that during the 90’s Mansel lived in Clearwater Florida USA and flew back and forth to the F1 tracks and actually lived there when he won the title. Does anyone know any details of this? Why did he chose Clearwater? Where his house was? Did he commute on a private jet? I would think he did he do this to keep his family life private.

The reason I ask is that I live in Tampa which is next to Clearwater and have always found this very interesting.

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:41

He did indeed have a very nice estate in Clearwater. I think it was during the time he was driving in CART, and then for a while into his retirement. I saw his private jet parked up at the Indy airport at the 1994 500. I believe it was a demobilised Royal Navy transport. As I recall there was a red 5 on the tail....

#3 Spitfire

Spitfire

• 99 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:23

IIRC Nigel's post racing plans were to join the senior golf tour. Being near year-round golf and his buddy Greg Norman were probably a factor.

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:38

Clearwater... I'm allergic to something around there - spent the whole time there (my cousin lives there) looking a right state.. Fine in Tampa though. :confused: Guess Clearwater is one place I will never return to.
Anyway, Nigel obviously didn't have the same problems. He had bases in Seaside Lane & Chestnut St. & also Danforth Drive, down the highway, in Jacksonville.

#5 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:44

I don't know exactly where in Clearwater he lived, but I know his backyard was right on the water and he had a nice boat parked there.

#6 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:41

IIRC he moved there before his 1992 WDC season in order to work harder on his fitness pre-season than he could in the chilly Isle of Man.

Paul M

#7 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 17:44

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
He did indeed have a very nice estate in Clearwater. I think it was during the time he was driving in CART, and then for a while into his retirement. I saw his private jet parked up at the Indy airport at the 1994 500. I believe it was a demobilised Royal Navy transport. As I recall there was a red 5 on the tail....

I'll amend my post to say that I think he might have actually lived in St. Petersburg, which is also in the Tampa Bay area. I do recall that his home was a very impressive waterfront estate which also had some historical architectural significance.

Jack

#8 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 20:15

Was it Clearwater? Or was it St. Petes?

I was in Florida in 1991 when he moved there and was sure (then) it was Clearwater.

However, last summer, I was in St. Petes and I was told he had a house there!

So, questions one and two at the same time :drunk: ......

Where did he live and how many houses did he really have......?? :lol:

P.S. I reckon he lived at Clearwater in what can only be described as a mansion...(well, initially, at least)...

#9 indy500autographs

indy500autographs

• 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 20:27

He still owns property near Clearwater IIRC.

#10 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 00:51

I don't know if the current TV show called "Hogan Knows Best" staring Pro Wrestler Hulk Hogan is being shown worldwide, but the show is filmed at a VERY large house in Clearwater. It is directly on the water in the Belair part of the city which is a gated community. The house is a traditional English tudor style of architecture. I'm thinking that this could be the former Mansel house. In this area is the former estate of Roebling as in Roebling Wire Rope Company which was build in the 1920 or '30s and also may be this same house.

Thanks for the replies.

#11 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:53

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

What plane was it, sounds interesting??

#12 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 16:46

As I mentioned before he lived in two addresses at Clearwater, one in Jackonsville. None in St. Petersburg.
The streets in both Clearwater & Jacksonville are above. Seaside Lane would be the one with the Waterfront estate.

I think some of you are getting confused (or someone giving you information is, anyway) with other ex-Lotus Briton, Jim Crawford. HE , not Mansell, had a house by the coast in St. Petersburg.

#13 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 17:22

Richie,

I looked up the two Clearwater streets you listed above. Seaside is, of course on the water and within the Bellair area and on the golf course. I would say this is the street for sure. I know I'd love to live there.

Chestnut is a street I've driven on hundreds of times and not one that he would have ever have lived on. It is a major thoughway in downtown Clearwater. He may have owned some property on Chestnut but he wouldn't have lived there.

Paul

#14 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 17:25

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
I think some of you are getting confused (or someone giving you information is, anyway) with other ex-Lotus Briton, Jim Crawford. HE , not Mansell, had a house by the coast in St. Petersburg.

Indeed. Tierra Verde, just before you reach St Petes.

#15 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 23:28

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins

Not confused (because I didn't even know Crawford lived in St Pete), just couldn't remember (because I'm getting old).

Jack

#16 Steve Sobieralski

Steve Sobieralski

• 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:31

The Mansell estate was on Druid Road in Clearwater, right at the corner where Druid Road S becomes Druid Road W, and three blocks north of (no kidding) Lotus Path. It is right on Clearwater Bay and just north of the Bellewiew Country Club. I believe he may still own a condo adjacent to the golf course.

I seem to recall that he originally came to Clearwater to be treated for a back injury, liked the area and decided to move there when he left F1 and moved to CART.

#17 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 13:06

Steve,

I found it on Map Quest and it is close to were the Roebling Estate was on Orange Ave. This brings the total to three different streets that he is reported to have lived on in Clearwater. He sure must like the area.

Another fact as it relates to me: He now lives/owns Woodbury Park, his golf resort. Woodbury happens to be my last name.;)

#18 Steve Sobieralski

Steve Sobieralski

• 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 13:50

Paul,

There are photos of the estate in the book Mansell and Williams. It is quite easy to find on Google Earth - big swimming pool, two tennis courts and about an acre of green roof. According to the book it's on the site where Fort Harrison originally was.

I was at Sebring in '70 and '71, but I missed '72. Didn't go back until the early "90s.

#19 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 14:45

Steve,

Maybe that is the Roebling Estate's main house after all. It is listed as one of the City's historical sites.

I checked your profile and see you're in Tampa too. I'm actually in Temple Terrace, but grew up in South Tampa. And I have one of those cutaway drawings which you posted about. Mine is of the Chapperal 2E Can Am car.

Paul