Alfa Bimotore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 19:57

Hi,

I'm looking for tire dimensions for the Bimotore in racing trim using Engelberts. Now before any wise guy answers I need the dimensions before the 2nd lap. :p

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 21:57

Nominally 5.5 x 20 front and 7.00 x 21 rear.

DCN

#3 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 22:35

I don't claim to know anything about the subject, but Mr. Nye's article on the Bimotore in "Historic Race & Rally" magazine issue #2 says that the tires originally used on the Bimotore from 1935-38 were "Pirelli Corsa or Dunlop Racing treaded road and semi-slick track tires" in the sizes mentioned above. It does not mention Engelberts.

#4 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 22:58

According to David Venables they were switched to Engelberts when Dunlop wouldn't guarantee that it's tires would last out ... shades of Michelin? I understand that they did revert to Dunlops for their speed runs.

BTW where else but TNF can you get your questions answered by none other than Doug Nye ... notwithstanding the fact that I own more than a dozen books by said gentleman. :p

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:58

Blimey! Perhaps the buggers should pay me? :mad: ...and by the way it's "Englebert".

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:22

I know that these photos prove nothing in terms of tyre sizes, fitted, as they are, with modern Dunlop Racing tyres, but I thought you may find them of some interest.

The first one is of the Alfa Museum replica, while the others are of Tom Wheatcroft's recreation, based, I believe, on the Alfa-Aitken.

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 13:43

Thanks, it's a mispelling I picked up from Venable's book.

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 16:18

Originally posted by Dennis David
According to David Venables they were switched to Engelberts when Dunlop wouldn't guarantee that it's tires would last out ... shades of Michelin? I understand that they did revert to Dunlops for their speed runs.

I find this quite intriguing. I wasn't aware that Ferrari had any relationship with Dunlop at that time, although I know they used them for the June record attempts. I think this was the last time the Bimotore appeared in Ferrari colours. At that time, presumably, Dunlop had more experience with high speeds and heavy cars than either Pirelli or Englebert so it made sense to approach the British company when Ferrari had tyre problems with their lorry.