Photo

Heidfeld, BMW-Sauber at the Nordschleife.!

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 13:56

Can't believe no-one else has picked up on this yet. That will be something to see. Not supposed to be about asetting records etc. etc., but just how much will Nick be able to resist?

Advertisement

#2 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 13:58

Could you be a bit more specific?
Oh yes.

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,824 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 13:58

I just hope the gearbox will last, otherwise Nick will have a long, long walk home ;)

#4 wati

wati

• 1,155 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 13:59

Fantastic stuff. I hope he goes for it and sets a fast lap. Wonder what the time will be. Well under 6 minutes, I guess.

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,824 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 13:59

Originally posted by TT6

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/57331

#6 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 14:00

Originally posted by TT6

Sorry. Nick Heidfeld will be lapping the Nordschleife in the BMW Sauber F1.07 in April as part of a BMW celebration.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 14:07

Surely they're either going to do a slow lap, or adapt the car somehow due to the bumps in the track?

#8 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 14:14

I'm pretty curious to see how a current car takes the Karussel :D

#9 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 14:16

Originally posted by paranoik0
Surely they're either going to do a slow lap, or adapt the car somehow due to the bumps in the track?

Yeah, bumps and lack of runoffs...
But still, this is an "emotional" issue more than anything, seeing a modern-day F1 on the Ring.

An excellent marketing/PR coup by BMW. :up:
This will be on all automotive/motorsports media for months...

I wonder how fast he'll (NH) do Swedencreuz (sp?), Flugplatz, Pflanzgarten, Bergwerk and Dottinger?

#10 baddog

baddog

• 29,770 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 17:07

Im not sure how a car will actually GET round, maybe by staying up on the flat outside of karussel? if thats even possible?

#11 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 17:16

" und Now zee carerra"

in case you don't get it ... I'm quoting Hans Stuck in the 962 video I saw 20 years ago

#12 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 17:24

Wonder how many laps they'd need to do around there just to get the setup right?

#13 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 17:24

Originally posted by baddog
Im not sure how a car will actually GET round, maybe by staying up on the flat outside of karussel? if thats even possible?

What's wrong with using the banking?

http://nurburgring.o...r/karussell.jpg

#14 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 17:26

if they can get the car to run or fairly rough ice it shouldn't be too much of a problem setting it up to cope with the bumps and jumps of the ring

#15 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:00

Sounds interesting.

Niki Lauda said some 20 years ago that it is impossible to drive a (then) modern F1 car at race speed at the Nordschleife.

I always wondered if he is right.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:02

He also said anyone could drive an F1 car.

#17 K-One

K-One

• 6,248 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:04

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Wrong, even a monkey could drive an F1 car.

#18 baddog

baddog

• 29,770 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:07

Originally posted by mach4

What's wrong with using the banking?

http://nurburgring.o...r/karussell.jpg

getting on and off it with no ground clearance seems like it might be impossible without bottoming the car somewhere?

#19 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:14

safe journey nick....

Advertisement

#20 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:14

Surely all they would need do is raise the ride height to the point whereby such clearance is possible? Can't be that hard. Might take a bit of the cornering speed out of the car, but not by a great deal. Since the Karussel banking provides the most evocative images of all of the old 'Ring corners, I imagine BMW will be keen for Heidfeld to use it.

#21 baddog

baddog

• 29,770 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:15

I hope that is the case.

will be a publicity coup anyway, it would make the main nightly news here no problem.

#22 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:22

There is zero chance that the team allows Nick to go fast.

#23 mach4

mach4

• 1,873 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:28

getting on and off it with no ground clearance seems like it might be impossible without bottoming the car somewhere?

I think the entry and exit have smooth enough transitions so as long as he sticks to the banking the whole time it should be OK.

http://www.pikeynet....03/nring219.jpg

#24 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:30

Wonder if Champ Car will decide to have Bourdais make a small detour on his way from Assen to Zolder in September to try and better what ever time Heidfeld sets.  ;)

#25 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:42

Great stuff by BMW. More like it please - dying to see this.

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:51

I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog :love:

Now....

TV COVERAGE?

Jp

#27 metz

metz

• 15,874 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 18:58

So glad that it is Nick... :smoking:
Is he finaly getting some puplicity?
Hard to believe.

GO NICK :up: :up: :up:

#28 RDM

RDM

• 2,112 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 19:01

Excellent news! :up:

#29 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 19:12

So you think that Lauda was wrong with his modern-F1-car-at-race-speed-at-Nordschleife statement?

#30 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 19:54

Originally posted by jonpollak
I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog :love:

Now....

TV COVERAGE?

Jp

bah... it will be on utube in no time. :)

#31 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 20:06

I saw this while i was at work today and it was the talk of the office for a couple of minutes.....(luckily I work with 2 racing fans). As has been mentioned the car might've outgrown the track a little but still a fabulous idea and i'm sure mr.H'll wind the thing up every chance he gets :clap:

For those of you of a gaming persuasion btw, you can of course buy Rfactor, which allows you to try the BMW F1.06 (i think) around the old Nurburgring whenever you like :) (although personally i'd always go for the Caterham classic.......gr8 fun around there ;) )

Good luck Nick, try not to bend it eh :) (as Gemini said, its a bloody long walk back :rotfl: )

#32 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 20:08

Originally posted by wrighty

(although personally i'd always go for the Caterham classic.......gr8 fun around there ;) )

Excellent taste! :clap:

#33 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 20:22

Until he tried the Jaguar that is and completely made a fool out of himself.

#34 Cojayar

Cojayar

• 1,617 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 20:56

Does anyone know what are the events programmed for the day?

I'm just thinking if it is worth go there that day.

Thanks.

#35 Double Apex

Double Apex

• 2,334 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 20:58

Oh well, I don't suppose anyone will bother to check for wear on the wooden plank afterwards. :p

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 21:29

Originally posted by BuonoBruttoCattivo

bah... it will be on utube in no time. :)

va bene...
Trasmettami il collegamento quando compare se voi per favore
Jp

#37 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 21:43

To be honest getting the car in and out of the Karussel will be okay, the problem will be getting round it at anything above walking pace as it's very rough and my car bottoms on the way through.

Driving round the flat part round the outside won't be a problem.

The whole circuit is quite bumpy so it won't be a pleasant lap, I really expect Nick to drive it sensibly, it would look very silly if he stuck it in the wall.

http://video.google....247762610830707

Karussel is at 5m45sec You can see that most of the way round the car is bouncing around a lot.

#38 pio!pio!

pio!pio!

• 274 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 22:03

It is very bumpy..but open wheeled cars have driven on bumpy street circuits..as well as Sebring which is super bumpy..

not saying the BMW is designed for it..but can it made to work? probably

I want to see it! As well as see a LMP car on it too..they are designed for bumpy tracks as they run on Sebring so it should be a sight....

#39 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 22:31

Me thinks he'll be scaring himself silly pretty quick.

Advertisement

#40 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,648 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 22:41

This is truly going to be awesome, and I hope it gets good tv coverage

#41 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 22:45

Not that I expect it to be the case, but it would be neat if they went some way towards adapting the car as necessary to the circuit to allow an actual quick time; similar to Honda doing all that work for the Bonneville attempt, but 100 times cooler and more appropriate to the car.

#42 Programmer

Programmer

• 154 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 22:56

I suspect they're going to focus entirely on not crashing and not having the car break down. Either of those things would really hurt any positive publicity they'll get out of this.

Having said that, I'd love to see them raise the car up, put as much suspension travel on it as possible, and watch Nick really have a go at it. Maybe we could see him get all 4 wheels off the ground like in the old days of F1 racing around the Nordschleife :cool:

#43 Rexx Havoc

Rexx Havoc

• 966 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 23:21

why all the noise over the car breaking over the bumps?...

am I the only one that can appreciate the pounding the cars take from the curbs lap after lap during the course of a race??

#44 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:26

Bumps won't be the big problem - taking off will be the biggest issue. There's several places where an F1 car might get air under it, and then it will take off.

#45 man

man

• 1,527 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:05

Nick was pretty brave at Goodwood in the McLaren a few years back, so I don't think Nick will insist on holding back.

Even if he merely cruises around he should shatter the lap record.

#46 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:47

I reckon I know the track - the PS2 & GT4, I reckon I am fast there ... and I paid for my son to do a lap, in a Dodge Viper (not the taxi, but it was the winner of the previous 24 hours race). Here's a bit of the article in Autosport where JV goes around and comments about how an F1 car might take off there:

Although we're powering uphill out of the valley, the car's glorious 5.0-litre V10 once again pushes us up to top speed. We slam into Mutkurve (Courage Corner), a fearsome left-hander over a blind brow: to our right the landscape vaults the barriers and tumbles down into dense scrubland.

"There was no guardrail here, either?" he asks. "Nothing? You'd be doing 190mph in a Formula 1 car here. It would be so easy just to take off."

At the Karussell, Villeneuve enthusiastically drops the car into the famous concrete basin with a satisfying whumph. He's like a giddy kid playing with his new toy and it's clear that he has been particularly looking forward to this moment. He's really starting to push a little more - the M5 strains on the limit as JV pulls it out of the banking. The M5 locks into the groove, dancing from kerb to kerb as the tyres squirm under braking.

For a moment, we're both silent. Jacques tops the brow of a crest and dives downhill into the Wippermann, Eschbach and Brunnchen corners. It's a classic sequence - the corners blend seamlessly together; a place where your exit

from one determines your approach to the next.

"It's beautiful! An amazing track, but I start to forget things from about this point in the videogame," he adds. "Normally, I restart it whenever I crash - so I never finish the last bit!" Hmm, that's reassuring.

We begin our second lap. This time the moments of indecisiveness are replaced by growing confidence and longer, steelier bursts of throttle. "Mmm, this car's got good grip," he says, throwing it into the opening series of corners known as the Hatzenbach.

Jacques Villeneuve drives the BMW Ring-Taxi at the Nurburgring © LAT
Like most classic Nordschleife bends, it's a series of slowly unravelling ess-bends that really encourage rhythmic 'feel' over raw technique.

It's also slow and wide enough to enable you easily to ask a little too much of the car and hope you'll get away with it.

"How cool was that?" I say as the car flicks out of the final ess.

"It was great!" he beams back. "I'd absolutely love to race here - it's the best track I've ever seen. And not just because it's long but because every corner is something special. And you just know it would be different in the cold, or the shade, or the rain. It's a living track. It's great."
Jacques has started to realise just how complex this place is: "There are a few corners around here where you just couldn't drive at 10-tenths because they're too bumpy; unless you braked early, you'd risk braking with your wheels in the air - and then you'd lose control. You need to keep a small amount of margin, mainly just for all the bumps. Maybe, at the end of the day, you could try it at 10-tenths - but you might get hurt big time."

Could you overtake here in an F1 car?

"It's not very wide," he says. "You certainly couldn't overtake through any of these ess-bends. In fact, you probably couldn't race a Formula 1 car around here at all because there are too many places where you'd just take off."

Villeneuve.
Nordschleife.
M5. Sorted.

#47 LandOfSnow

LandOfSnow

• 59 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:47

Originally posted by wj_gibson
Surely all they would need do is raise the ride height to the point whereby such clearance is possible? Can't be that hard. Might take a bit of the cornering speed out of the car, but not by a great deal.

Raising the ride height affects the cornering speed a lot as it reduces the downforce significantly.

#48 Uwe

Uwe

• 707 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:52

Originally posted by xflow7

Excellent taste! :clap:

I'd take an HPC. ;)

#49 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 14:05

It would great if nick could get near Bellof's lap record in the Porsche. If BMW took the fastest time from them then it would be a PR masterstroke.

I would love to see the like of Honda give it a go. :clap:

#50 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 21:09

Originally posted by NineOneSeven
It would great if nick could get near Bellof's lap record in the Porsche. If BMW took the fastest time from them then it would be a PR masterstroke.

I would love to see the like of Honda give it a go. :clap:

It's much more appropriate that BMW or Mercedes do it. And if you want Japanese, then go for Toyota, since their F1 factory is quite close.