Photo

2008 - a DRIVERS championship

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vlcc

vlcc

• 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 17:26

i'm still gathering my thoughts/impressions today, after watching the first quali of the season in melbourne.

the thought that plays into my mind the most is that - for the duration of the qualifyung session, i didnt have a clue who will do what.

the reason for this is NOT that the cars are unknown to us(we had a pretty good idea from friday/saturday practice sessions + winter testing) - but because EVERY SINGLE driver did mistakes in every lap that counted.

i think that this year, the element of mistakes is going to be a factor.

therefore, it seems that the balance of driver/car significance ratio has changed fundamentally in 2008 :clap:

therefore we might be in for a drivers championship for the first time in years :up:

what you guys think

Advertisement

#2 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 18:07

It was a driver championship last year pretty much already with each of the Ferrari / McL drivers able to win the championship (with making less mistakes).

It won't be very different this year, most little mistakes are insignificant.

#3 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 18:08

Originally posted by vlcc
i'm still gathering my thoughts/impressions today, after watching the first quali of the season in melbourne.

the thought that plays into my mind the most is that - for the duration of the qualifyung session, i didnt have a clue who will do what.

the reason for this is NOT that the cars are unknown to us(we had a pretty good idea from friday/saturday practice sessions + winter testing) - but because EVERY SINGLE driver did mistakes in every lap that counted.

i think that this year, the element of mistakes is going to be a factor.

therefore, it seems that the balance of driver/car significance ratio has changed fundamentally in 2008 :clap:

therefore we might be in for a drivers championship for the first time in years :up:

what you guys think

I think you have a point...plenty of errors and cars squirming in qualifying. Hopefully we'll see it in the races too, with driver more liable to be forced into making errors when under pressure. That said, it's still going to be the quickest cars that win the most races.

#4 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 18:20

Originally posted by Perigee

I think you have a point...plenty of errors and cars squirming in qualifying. Hopefully we'll see it in the races too, with driver more liable to be forced into making errors when under pressure. That said, it's still going to be the quickest cars that win the most races.

:up:
Well the albert park track gains more grip as the weekend unfolds, and the qualifying rules don't help us see the clear picture like we used too.

PLus there are some rookies in there.

2009 with slick tyres offers more hope.

:up:

#5 Knuckles

Knuckles

• 601 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 20:25

Exactly. It's been the first time I've seen them on track for more than a few seconds, and I was very surprised. As you say, there was a tremendous amount of mistakes. I wonder why so many drivers and other experts said that the ban on TC and motor break would, overall, have little effect, when seemingly none of the drivers can actually drive a single hot lap without significant errors.

#6 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 20:34

I agree. Last year it was almost ridiculous on how in every single team, the drivers were matched in the championship. This year I'm expecting much bigger differences between team-mates. Especially in the midfield, where 2 or 3 tenths make a huge difference.

#7 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,228 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:20

I thought there is a drivers' championship every year. :lol:

#8 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 21:42

I wholeheartedly agree and can honestly say this is the best thing to happen to the F1 rules ever :up:

The fact there were more interesting "driver moments" in only the prac and qual of the first GP of the year than any weekend i can remember says it all.

#9 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 22:31

Originally posted by vlcc
what you guys think

I think, as I hinted at in another thread, how about judging the merits/demerits of the 2008 season when there is more than 3 meaningless practice sessions and one 45 minute qualifying session to go on?

Albert Park is a dusty "circuit" used for only three days in every twelve months. Don't expect the cars to be sliding round so much when they're at say Silverstone.

It won't be like this all season.

#10 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 23:25

Originally posted by Imperial
Albert Park is a dusty "circuit" used for only three days in every twelve months.

Oi! Four days, are you saying the wealthy gentleman racers in their aging GT cars don't matter!  ;)

Just because a racer is 4 seconds a lap slower than a professional does not make for a poor motor race eh? :)