Photo

The USGP and Marlboro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 12:51

Does anyone know why there was no Marlboro Sponsor's on the Ferrari Team? it's seems from TV all the other teams, that have Tobacco sponsorship were racing in Full Colours ?

(Maybe they brought the wrong equipment!) or did Marlboro forget to sign the last payment cheque for Schumacher!...
any ideas?

Advertisement

#2 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 13:00

There's an U.S. law that allows the involvement of tabacco brands in only one championship, and Marlboro is sponsoring one of the top teams in CART, hence the Ferrari's were racing without the Marlboro name.

#3 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 25 September 2000 - 17:14

Jordan had the "Buzzing Hornets" instead of the "Benson & Hedges"

#4 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 26 September 2000 - 04:14

Then what US championship does Benson and Hedges sponsor? Is it possible that Gallahers?, who own B&H, sponsor another series with another brand and therefore cannot show their B&H logos?

#5 SteveB2

SteveB2

• 228 posts

Posted 26 September 2000 - 13:31

The company that makes Benson and Hedges also makes the KOOL brand which sponsers Barry Green's cars in CART. In order to be more restrictive legislation, the law distinguished by company rather than brand. The companies that make West and Lucky Strikes didn't have any advertising in any other series in the US, so they were allowed to keep their sponsorship on the cars.

#6 Psychoman

Psychoman

• 2,711 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 00:39

Hmmm... from my understanding the company that makes Kool also makes Lucky strike...

#7 srf

srf

• 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 01:24

I believe it was an agreement between manufacturers and the government, not laws that were made. West doesn't even sell in the US do they?

#8 srf

srf

• 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 01:40

Well after reading what is supposed to be the settlement, I'm confused as to how anyone can sponsor cars in CART/NASCAR/etc:

http://thomas.loc.go...5UgjYtq:e21003:

#9 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 06:22

srf : the link doesn't work as searchresult aren't stored statically. Is it the "Universal Tobacco Settlement Act" you're refering to?

#10 srf

srf

• 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 06:44

Okay I'm not a fan of that particular search engine. Yes it's the Universal Tobacco Settlement Act, I've put the page in question at the following URL: http://www.srf.com/m...dvertising.html

#11 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 07:33

I wonder if a team "Re-Badged" a V-10 Formula 1 engine as the
"LIGHT V-10 powered by MARLBORO"
(or)
"MARLBORO V-10 POWER"
I would like to see the Lawyers have a go at that!

I'm sure "Supertech" will love the idea, they'll re-badge their old / tired Renault V-10 with any name. (Send £££$$$)
...Peter

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 27 September 2000 - 18:38

In 1968, somebody suggested that Players should launch a new brand of cigarettes, in a green and yellow packet...