Photo

Online wager for F1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steelyman

steelyman

• 214 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 23:47

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but i didnt find anything on a search.

is one able to place a bet on the race on the internet from within the US?

i notice the sites i try to sign up for do not have united states for an option for country.

is this totally illegal to do here? is anyone doing this? any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

thanks

Advertisement

#2 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 00:12

Originally posted by steelyman
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but i didnt find anything on a search.

is one able to place a bet on the race on the internet from within the US?

i notice the sites i try to sign up for do not have united states for an option for country.

is this totally illegal to do here? is anyone doing this? any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

thanks

The US government really came down hard on internet betting sites because they say it can allow for money laundering. The CEO's of a number of betting sites were arrested, so as a result most betting sites are too scared to take US bets.

I believe that this site is continuing to stick 2 fingers up at the US government despite its former owner being convicted for violating the federal wire act. You can try it and see.

#3 steelyman

steelyman

• 214 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 00:59

thanks Josta for the link.

i called them and they claim that its legal and most of their customers are frmo the US.

not sure if i believe them - still doing some research to find out for sure.

#4 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:05

To bad you don't live in Atlantic City or Vegas.

#5 Budvar

Budvar

• 170 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:05

I am not sure about how good this firm is, but basically if you are USA based, most bookies cannot or wll not take your business. You live in the land of the free, free to buy semi automatic machine guns, but god forbid if you fancy Sato to beat Davidson. That really is a crime. No doubt there will be an illegal book or two running in the right bars.