Photo

Australian GP 2008: Post Race Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
618 replies to this topic

#51 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:33

Crazy race! I feel really, REALLY bad for Bourdais, Kova and Kubica- both got shafted by luck (and/or SC timing) today. All did great.

Kova was probably on fuel corrected pole, too...I can't wait until he's given the chance for pole.

Great job by Rosberg and Heidfeld!!

Advertisement

#52 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,407 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:34

Originally posted by kar
I don't think Kimi was that bad.

Did you and I watch the same race? I expect a world champion to not spin twice in a supposedly "superior" car.

Glue. Bad glue.

#53 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,892 posts

What a race, it started messy with the first corner incidents and looked as if it would be a bore from there on. Then Massa and Coulthard colided, the SC came in and everything went berserk until the flag dropped. Hamilton was charging and seemed on a mission. Kovalainen did very well too, tough luck with the SC but he has done a great job. Tremendous improvement from his other Australian GP!

Wow, this is a Ferrari I would have never recognized only a litte time ago. I don't believe they'll have any other weekend as bad as this one, but nothing went right today. Massa had a terrible start, Raikkonen did well but then completely lost it when he tried to pass Kovalainen. Yes, he had to try, but that was not even close. Then he got it wrong behind Glock and that certainly is not the norm for him. What was the cause of his retirement? I'm sure the offs did no good to his car. Roll on Sepang, this was a race to forget.

Heidfeld, safe and good as ever.
Rosberg, great podium. His moment with Hamilton was pure joy. Don't drop the ball now!!!
Alonso maximized it, just in the Renault days before.
Best race for Barrichello in ages. I hope he isn't disqualified.
Lucky Nakajima.
Damned luck for Bourdais, got a point though and has started with a very impressive race!

#54 Nukle

Nukle

• 190 posts

Originally posted by pacwest

Now I'm convinced you sniff glue. Bad glue.

Are u some kind of idiot? Have you seen the race?

#55 i.am.cloned

i.am.cloned

• 276 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:35

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks
Kimi went across gravel trap, had a spin and then had another spin didn't he?

I thnk he spun twice - with Heikki and with Glock.

#56 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,174 posts

Originally posted by Claudius

I was very impressed with Alonso today. He saved his car when he had to and pushed when he had to. Without making a mistake. Great drive.

Also a lucky one. Barrichello, Heikki and Bourdais would have finished ahead of him and some other drivers too. But he was good at the end, no doubt, and took his chance, so well done to him.

Lewis Hamilton was the man of the day. Didn't put a foot wrong in a race when so many drivers made mistakes. So much about Lewis not being able to handle a car without TC. If anything, he looked the smoothest and most error free of them all.

I feel sorry for Heikki, he could have been on the podium but he had bad luck with the SC. Also an unlucky situation for Barrichello and Bourdais. They would have had a good result today, probably 4-5th place without the problems those were not their fault.

Ferrari a disaster. So much about being favourites for the season. The car was unreliable, the drivers made lots of errors. Bring back Schumi! (;) Nah, just joking!)

Let's not forget about Heidfeld and Rosberg. Well done, boys! :up:

#57 Chui

Chui

• 1,032 posts

Originally posted by Durant

Hamilton said he was pitted early in both stints. Wonder why they didnt do that with his team mate..

Team strategy I suppose. It worked (half of it, anyway). I empathize with Kovalainen, however.

#58 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,892 posts

Hamilton said he was pitted early in both stints. Wonder why they didnt do that with his team mate..

I think he pitted early because his tyres were done with after both strong and hard stints.

#59 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:36

:up: for Hamilton, Heidfeld, Rosberg, and Alonso. Fernando drove the hell out of that Renault

:up: for Bourdais, shame that it ended how it ended.

Robert Kubica I believe was screwed by strategy and the SC periods, and by Kazoo of course

:down: for Massa, Raikkonen, Kimi just plain blew it. And Ferrari just ****ed it up, and their engines cost Bourdais of a great podium

:down: for Kovalainen, what the hell Heikki? I hope it was a technical problem, otherwise that's just a huge blunder for a man of his calibre

:down: for Nakajima for being a dumbass, and Piquet Jr. he was simply nowhere.

Advertisement

#60 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Originally posted by pacwest le

Did you and I watch the same race? I expect a world champion to not spin twice in a supposedly "superior" car.

Glue. Bad glue.

A superior car that is suddenly 3s per lap slower behind another car?

... Not so much a superior car anymore.

And let's face it had he been like Hamilton with nothing in front of him all race he'd have not had those problems. He ran heavier, longer, than anyone else and was stunningly quick in clean air.

Not a great race, but not a poor one either given his starting position and the nature of overtaking in F1 these days.

#61 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Kovy is the man of the race for me. He forced both Ferrari drivers into mistake when they tried to overtake him and effectively destroyed Ferrari race. Plus he overtook Raikkonen and Alonso. Ron Dennis will be very proud of him. At the final lap Kovy made a final proof that he belongs to McLaren and on par with Hamilton by hitting the wrong button. :D

Ferrari seems to be so fast that sometimes drivers can't stop it before the corners. I expect great season now.

#62 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,486 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:37

[B]Who did he have to race? His team mate was clearly fueled to keep him out of the way plus he was slow and his other rivals made mistakes. B]

:lol:

Hurt didn't it? :lol:

#63 marcinito

marcinito

• 82 posts

Originally posted by mariuszek

Well he was ahead of Heidfeld after the first round of pitstops, then suddenly the team called him in and refuelled till the end in the middle of the race :confused:
And then Nakajima drove into the back of him :

sorry to admit (as much as I like Robert) but he was off the pace compared to Heidfeld today. Consider the fact that NH had a couple laps more fuel than RK. Still he could guard his position effectively.

#64 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Originally posted by Galko877

Also a lucky one. Barrichello, Heikki and Bourdais would have finished ahead of him and some other drivers too. But he was good at the end, no doubt, and took his chance, so well done to him.

He was actually unlucky with the SC otherwise he would have beaten most of them anyway.

#65 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Originally posted by Domination
Kimi lucky to get a point.
Kova unlucky to not finish second.
Bourdais unlucky to not finish 4th.

I think Kova had a very good chance of overtaking lewis on his pitstop ...

#66 yvonne.kk

yvonne.kk

• 95 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:38

I don't know why Ferrari didn't call KR pitstop when the SC first came out?!
Confusing about KR's overtaking HK with the worn tyres in unnecessary condition.

#67 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

So much about Lewis not being able to handle a car without TC. If anything, he looked the smoothest and most error free of them all.

Yes he did drive well hwoever, he wasn't really racing anyone all race - not even at the restarts - Heiki didn't even attempt to pass him. Pretty easy to be smooth and error free when not racing anyone.

He well and truly deserved the win and drove well.

#68 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Last time Ferrari had a weekend as bad as this one was Australia 2006 probably.

#69 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Originally posted by vaavu
Two safety cars ruined first kimi's race and then heikki's race thereafter. Of course it did not help that kimi went off-track, but he would have ended dead last anyway. He had to come in for fuel right after the safety car episode.

Hammy had an easy win today. Both safety cars were deployed after he had made his pit stops. Anyway, he was flawless today. :up:

Nobody talks about how Alonso suffered both Safety cars ...

#70 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Apparently Kovi pressed the speed limiter which allowed Alonso to pass him.

#71 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,219 posts

Originally posted by Atreiu
The is so 90's:

- McLaren and Williams at the front;
- Ferrari messing up big more than once;
- Dennis playing before the podium like he did with Senna at times;
- lots of attrition and DNFs;
- powerslides;
- overtaking...

They can keep like this for the rest of the seaosn and I'll be very pleased!

Apart from the Ferrari element I hope so too

#72 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:39

Hungary 2006 seems more comparable given Ferrari might still get a point after the race is finished despite not finishing the race.

#73 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,060 posts

Most likely pit got closed.

#74 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

What an amazingly action packed race!

Rosberg and Bourdais. :up:

Ferrari... :down:

#75 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

can't - pitlane was closed

When it was open, had he come in he would have had to sit at the back of the field - - what they did (call him in 2 laps after the sc) was smarter

#76 Ploert

Ploert

• 534 posts

I am really disappointed in KR. In the first half of the race I thought he would get a podium, but after the incident with HK he completely lost. Pity...

Bring on Sepang!

#77 marcinito

marcinito

• 82 posts

Originally posted by Slyder

Robert Kubica I believe was screwed by strategy and the SC periods, and by Kazoo of course

yep - yet another messed up strategy for RK...
I actually thought that SC were in his favor for a while, but then again he lost too much time behind Bourdais and couldn't capitalize on it.

#78 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:40

Kimi WTF??? :down: must go to Massa's overtaking school...
Alonso :up:
Roseberg.. :up:
Bourdais.. :up:

#79 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,407 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:40

Originally posted by Raelene

Yes he did drive well however, he wasn't really racing anyone all race...

You earn that right by qualifying well.

Advertisement

#80 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:41

Originally posted by marcinito

sorry to admit (as much as I like Robert) but he was off the pace compared to Heidfeld today. Consider the fact that NH had a couple laps more fuel than RK. Still he could guard his position effectively.

I don't think he expected to be blocked by traffic. and his own teammate seemed to be playing the blocking move here and there as well (reminde ms of heidfeld vs Villeneuve in 2006 at Canada). Plus the SC just compounded the problem.

#81 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:41

happiest man after race? alonso? in that itv interview he can't stop smiling!!! he looks pretty exhausted too!! he gave it everything he had and throughly derserves 5 championship points for that!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

#82 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:42

Originally posted by LzR

Alonso, benefited from the safety cars, but still decent pace :up:

WHAT??

how exactly did Alonso benefit from safety cars?

He had to pit after both of the Safety cars were deployed ... just the opposite to hamilton, Heidfield and Rosberg.

#83 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

if it wasn´t for the safety cars the race would be extremely boring. after that 'promising' fp3 and a interesting qualifying back to boredom.

kimi was the only one who was actually fighting for some racing starting so low at the grid.

then another chaos saved the show. :lol:

good to have williams with 9 points! and alonso saved what he could.

pity nakajima is so erratic :/

hoping renault recovers. the r28 is way too slow.
ferrari need alonso to replace massa. :D

#84 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Thumbsdown for heikki? i think you need glasses mate, he drove a superb race and it had to have been a technical glitch in the upshift, its not as if his finger just slipped cos even if it did, it would not have been such a different that it was.

#85 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

I actually thought that SC were in his favor for a while, but then again he lost too much time behind Bourdais and couldn't capitalize on it.

Well, due to the way the cars are aerodynamically, overtaking was going to be very hard. I also thought that the SC's would favor Kubica, but it backfired.

#86 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Originally posted by Pikku Pakkanen
Heikki's quali was FANTASTIC! 4 laps more fuel than Hamilton!

Without the last safety car he would have won!

Ferrari... :(

I think he had a very good chance to overtake Lewis on the pitstops ...

#87 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Alonso owns Heikki..

#88 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:43

I always felt Kimi lacked the concentration and precision to be a great F1 driver and just when I was ready to support him as the only possible challenger to what seems the most planted and easy to drive cars out there (McLaren), Kimi goes and proves me right.

Great to see Heidfeld up on the podium, pretty much the top 4 drivers are ones I would rate as having the highest levels of mind management, race craft and relentless pace. Apart from the many amateur issues the cream rose to the top :up:

#89 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Originally posted by mariuszek

Well he was ahead of Heidfeld after the first round of pitstops, then suddenly the team called him in and refuelled till the end in the middle of the race :confused:
And then Nakajima drove into the back of him :

Team responded to SC period, which didn't work out. Strategy change aside, SC periods were not in RK favor at all.

#90 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Originally posted by BMW_F1
Alonso owns Heikki..

Heikki pressed the speed limiter. Not really owning him. Heikki was the one who owned Alonso by passing him on actual merit.

#91 yvonne.kk

yvonne.kk

• 95 posts

Originally posted by Raelene

can't - pitlane was closed

When it was open, had he come in he would have had to sit at the back of the field - - what they did (call him in 2 laps after the sc) was smarter

They could call him in when the pitlane opened just like FA and someone.I think it wouldn't make him to the back of the field.

#92 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Kimi was doing well until his tyres went off. In first stint he tried to overtake Kova, Ferrari should have 2 stopped, he would otherwise get pass Barichello much quicker.

#93 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:44

Hamilton another race win from pole. Will be interesting to see if he can ever win a race from anywhere involving passing another car.

#94 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,757 posts

Originally posted by BMW_F1
Alonso owns Heikki..

yeah, especially helped by the SC and heikki's problem on the straight

#95 Cadence

Cadence

• 5,185 posts

Boy didn't save his tyres. Simple as that. Starts off the first row and finishes outside the points? I like the guy 'n all but, he's got to learn how to save his tyres.

#96 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,448 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:45

congrat to all mclaren fans, there is hope as the car and drivers look strong, sorry for kovalinen though, what happened did he forget to change gears or??. Nice job from bmw although their racepace wasnt as good. Ferrari ruined their own race, that said, they will fight back for sure, the car looked extremely fast in kimis hands, as he was able to easely follow cars with much less fuel. And that on a one stop with super softs, amazing. You can say a lot about kimi but he is ano compromise racing driver, giving 110% all the time. Besides i like his straight forwardness, no bullshit talk.

#97 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Originally posted by kids like ash
Thumbsdown for heikki? i think you need glasses mate, he drove a superb race and it had to have been a technical glitch in the upshift, its not as if his finger just slipped cos even if it did, it would not have been such a different that it was.

Might not have noticed that with 20 to go, but with 1 to go, that looks like a pretty pathetic blunder, if it was a driver error.

But let's wait to hear his side of the story to see what happened.

#98 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Dismal day for Ferrari. Both Raikkonen and Massa were quick when they were running untroubled but both made costly mistakes. The first corner for Massa was just shithouse, how he spun I'll never know. Raikkonen was entertaining and pretty quick but made 2 crucial errors, at least it was when he was having a go though.

They need to be better as a team and fast.

Hamilton was flawless all weekend, as was Nico Rosberg. Add in Fernando Alonso who drove a great race in a struggling car and there is your top 3 for the race. Heidfeld was his usual self and got some good points for BMW. Bourdais also impressive, shame the car let him down. :up: :up: :up:

Coulthard and Massa incident, I'd lean towards it being DC's fault. Massa was almost right alongside him, DC turned in as if Felipe was nowhere near him.....

Exciting without traction control, the cars look a handful again and the cream will rise to the top. Spectacular to watch. :up:

Unlucky day for Webber and Button. Barrichello was good but what a **** up in the Honda pit. :down:

All in all, Hamilton and McLaren looking ominous. Ferrari and Raikkonen/Massa better get their act together ASAP.

#99 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Originally posted by Domination

Heikki pressed the speed limiter. Not really owning him. Heikki was the one who owned Alonso by passing him on actual merit.

albeit in a much faster car :

Advertisement

#100 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Originally posted by Atreiu

I think he pitted early because his tyres were done with after both strong and hard stints.

no ... to protect him from the S.car ... exactly what happened to Heiki ...

ummm ... we start to see how the McLaren equal policy is in jeopardy ...