Photo

Australian GP 2008: Post Race Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
618 replies to this topic

#101 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:46

i think kimis best laptime was fifth fastest not bad with one stopper but i think kimi wants to forget this race :( I have a bet with my friend for 200E that kimi wins wdc :

Advertisement

#102 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Originally posted by kar
Hamilton another race win from pole. Will be interesting to see if he can ever win a race from anywhere involving passing another car.

He will. The guy is pure quality, you gotta accept it. :up:

#103 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Originally posted by Cadence

Boy didn't save his tyres. Simple as that. Starts off the first row and finishes outside the points? I like the guy 'n all but, he's got to learn how to save his tyres.

Safety car periods and traffic didn't necessarily help his cause either....

#104 indian

indian

• 1,173 posts

On a positive note for Ferrari, the reliability and driving can only get better ;)

#105 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:47

Lewis - deserved complete domination win. I was already thinking of how similar it had been to his Canada win and then he said it in the press conference.

Heikki - not as quick as Lewis but relatively solid, did well to trick Kimi and did an AWESOME final pass on Alonso - but if he really hit the pit speed limiter on the main straight... :rotfl:

Massa - that turn 1 incident was really pathetic. I also got the idea that the crash with DC was his fault although that might be a bit debatable. I liked his pass on Nakajima(?) at the quick chicane. Overall, bad race.

Kimi - was doing an absolutely awesome race until he risked too much and outbreaked himself trying to pass Heikki. From there on, it was like he was driving on drugs, the complete opposite of until then. Terrible.

Ferrari's strategy - Hire someone new.

Ferrari's reliability - Let's not go there.

BMWs - a bit disappointing, looks like they're great on qualy pace but not really anything special in the race. Kubica didn't do an awesome race but didn't deserve to get wrecked by Nakajima like that. Heidfeld was, well, Heidfeld-style. Got a great result without ever looking fast.

Barrichello - great race, but the safety car blew it.

Alonso - a true champion performance in a crap car.

Bourdais - great debut, he must've sweared a lot when his engine went off. However Fisichella must've been pissed by that first corner incident.

Red Bull - must be very pissed with the way people took their cars as a target to push off from the race.

Glock's accident - scared the shit out of me at first sight. But it was more spectacular than really any serious/dangerous. Driver mistake.

Trulli - let's not forget he did a good race. Another guy who didn't deserve his car playing reliability tricks with him.

Piquet - Piss poor, pure Mazzacane style.

Rosberg - Congratulations on the first podium. Looked solid.

#106 papa

papa

• 495 posts

Originally posted by Durant

Hamilton said he was pitted early in both stints. Wonder why they didnt do that with his team mate..

equal treatment :lol:

Heikki only 3 thents slower in Q3 compared to LH with 4 more laps of fuel :confused:

hope Renault will bounce back asap...hope this new suspension will do its job,

I do not know whether Kova made a mistake in the last lap,because
Fernando saved the best for the last...

best lap in the race in the last lap :clap:

apex speed for Renault is shamefull.. ~10 km/h slower then Mclaren

this is way too much

#107 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

I have nothing but hatered and scorn for Nakajima at this moment. I'll wait for myself to regain some composure before I post some more! :mad:
This Nakajima fellow is a total idiot and needs to be shot dead! What is he doing in an F1 car, I wouldn't let him near a lawn mower!!!
:p

#108 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

I think it was a nice pass by Heikki on Alonso. He did it very cleverly. Shame that he didn't earn the fruits because of the problem he got on the straight. I'm curious what it was.

#109 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Piquet was horrible again. He gained some positions in the start but then everybody passed him and he was
last. He's about as good as Yuji Ide. Interesting to hear Flavio's comments. :

#110 BunnyK

BunnyK

• 444 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:48

Originally posted by LzR

Alonso, benefited from the safety cars, but still decent pace :up:

Not really, the one who benefited was Hamilton who pitted right before each safety car. Both Alonso and Kimi were on a one stop strategy and had to make their pitstops when all the cars were in a queue and went back.

#111 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Originally posted by lukywill

kimi was the only one who was actually fighting for some racing starting so low at the grid.

so your saying Alonso wasn't ?? :confused: :confused:

#112 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Originally posted by VoidNT
Kovy is the man of the race for me. He forced both Ferrari drivers into mistake when they tried to overtake him and effectively destroyed Ferrari race. Plus he overtook Raikkonen and Alonso. Ron Dennis will be very proud of him. At the final lap Kovy made a final proof that he belongs to McLaren and on par with Hamilton by hitting the wrong button. :D

Ferrari seems to be so fast that sometimes drivers can't stop it before the corners. I expect great season now.

Alonso in a interview for spanish press was asked about what happened with Kovi in the straight ... he said : "another one that pushes the speed limiter" ... and started smiling

if you think he was in McLaren last year, he has privileged info about what happened with Hamilton last year in Brazil ... maybe his subconscious betrayed him ...

#113 Cadence

Cadence

• 5,154 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:49

Originally posted by Slyder

Safety car periods and traffic didn't necessarily help his cause either....

True but he couldn't catch SeaBass in an STR fer crissakes...! Nuffsaid.

#114 F1 Engineer

F1 Engineer

• 311 posts

Originally posted by Galko877
I think it was a nice pass by Heikki on Alonso. He did it very cleverly. Shame that he didn't earn the fruits because of the problem he got on the straight. I'm curious what it was.

Heikki admitted that he hit the pit lane limiter.

#115 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Originally posted by primer
I have nothing but hatered and scorn for Nakajima at this moment. I'll wait for myself to regain some composure before I post some more! :mad:
This Nakajima fellow is a total idiot and needs to be shot dead! What is he doing in an F1 car, I wouldn't let him near a lawn mower!!!
:p

hah! :clap: :lol:

#116 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Originally posted by MichaelPM
I always felt Kimi lacked the concentration and precision to be a great F1 driver and just when I was ready to support him as the only possible challenger to what seems the most planted and easy to drive cars out there (McLaren), Kimi goes and proves me right.

Great to see Heidfeld up on the podium, pretty much the top 4 drivers are ones I would rate as having the highest levels of mind management, race craft and relentless pace. Apart from the many amateur issues the cream rose to the top :up:

2007 wdc bitch!

#117 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:50

Originally posted by F1 Engineer

Ah thanks, a shame. But that pass on Alonso is still the overtaking of the day IMO.

#118 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:51

True but he couldn't catch SeaBass in an STR fer crissakes...! Nuffsaid.

Neither could Alonso, and the Renault, for all it's crappiness is supposed to be a better car than the STR

#119 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Originally posted by kar
Hamilton another race win from pole. Will be interesting to see if he can ever win a race from anywhere involving passing another car.

Sure he will, but... probably not this year :lol:

Advertisement

#120 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Originally posted by Domination

Heikki pressed the speed limiter. Not really owning him. Heikki was the one who owned Alonso by passing him on actual merit.

Heikki failed under Alonso's pressure ...

#121 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Originally posted by paranoik0
Massa - that turn 1 incident was really pathetic. I also got the idea that the crash with DC was his fault although that might be a bit debatable. I liked his pass on Nakajima(?) at the quick chicane. Overall, bad race.

I agree that Massa at the first turn was pathetic, it really was. However lets not crucify him yet, I've seen alot of top drivers over the years make very silly errors at times. Some on parade laps. He had speed, as did Raikkonen who was flying until he made 2 stuff -up's but I enjoyed watching Raikkonen at least fight hard.

Ferrari just have to get better quickly though. McLaren handed them a thumping this weekend.

#122 HP

HP

• 14,197 posts

Originally posted by mowaru

I think Kova had a very good chance of overtaking lewis on his pitstop ...

I was thinking that too, because Kova just set the fastest lap. Glocks crash came one lap too early.

Well I have to admit that McLaren was the best team out there this weekend. Ferrari however, had a weekend to forget.

Enjoyable race, altough without the SC it probably would have been a procession. Removing TC/LC was a step in the right direction.

#123 qvn

qvn

• 765 posts

Originally posted by SlateGray
Alonso Driver of the race :up:

Yeah! in Renault Alonso was behind Sebastien Bourdais before his car was failed!
His performance is good. But Driver of the Race? NO.

#124 Pep

Pep

• 1,043 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:52

Renault have a dog of a car, I hope they fix it soon...,

Alonso said at the end that he is not sure of where Reanult stands, as he had very little free air, but he said that of course it has to improve.

TV didn't show one of the highlights of the race, double overtaking of Alonso to Kimi and Heiki after the final SC.

Alonso said he arrived at the first pit stop with 200 grams of fuel, as he was due to pit on the same lap on which the first SC was deployed. Very unlucky with SC today.

#125 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Alonso in a interview for spanish press was asked about what happened with Kovi in the straight ... he said : "another one that pushes the speed limiter" ... and started smiling

if you think he was in McLaren last year, he has privileged info about what happened with Hamilton last year in Brazil ... maybe his subconscious betrayed him ...

oooooooooo i like! :clap:

#126 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,557 posts

Originally posted by kids like ash
Thumbsdown for heikki? i think you need glasses mate, he drove a superb race and it had to have been a technical glitch in the upshift, its not as if his finger just slipped cos even if it did, it would not have been such a different that it was.

He just said he messed up so you are wrong. He knocked the limiter when he pulled his tear-off.

#127 marcinito

marcinito

• 82 posts

Boy didn't save his tyres. Simple as that. Starts off the first row and finishes outside the points? I like the guy 'n all but, he's got to learn how to save his tyres.

oh... Cadence.. you again..

may I add you to my buddy list? :rotfl:

#128 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

C'mon, it had nothing to with tyres at all - he was not dropping off at the end of the first stint, neither on the second one, which was way shorter than it was supposed to be. Then he was fitted with softs for nearly half of race distance, and was able to keep Alonso behind him (FA was on hards) His race pace was a bit disappointing (cause of the great Quali session) but he had the tyre wear under control just as everyone around him.

BTW, Any word from Nakajima? At least Vettel had an excuse for running into Webber...

#129 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

then that was just a plain stupid blunder, as hard as it is to admit it.

Heikki blew it.

#130 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:53

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing

yeah, especially helped by the SC and heikki's problem on the straight

I don't understand why people say that Alonso benefited from a SC ...

he overtook Heikki and Raikonnen after the last SC when he was the last driver ... I don't see the luck factor here ...

#131 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

I think Piquet will only attract more and more scorn from all sides - it will be interesting to see if he can absorb all that like Heikki did .

#132 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

anyone have fastest lap classification.

#133 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,557 posts

Brilliant drive from Hamilton, no mistakes and very very fast, he really showed Alonso, Raikkonen and Massa how to keep a cool head today.

#134 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:54

Originally posted by mursuka80

2007 wdc bitch!

Points leader throwing the championship, driver aids and Massa slowing down for him. Luck is the only way to describle the 2007 WDC, not a very convincing championship win at all. Relied way to much on outside help.

Its only going to get easier from Australia on though.

#135 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,407 posts

Originally posted by Formulaonefan

Pretty sure I saw KOV on the last lap as fastest lap

#136 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

:rotfl: nice so we finally now what happened, nice shot from him

#137 faasfans

faasfans

• 208 posts

Originally posted by Galko877

Ah thanks, a shame. But that pass on Alonso is still the overtaking of the day IMO.

I think Alonso passed Kimi and Kova in a row.

#138 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Originally posted by SlateGray
Alonso Driver of the race :up:

I'll second that!;) :up:

#139 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Biggest winner of this race I'd say is the FIA, their decision to ban TC is the best thing they have done in YEARS!!!

Advertisement

#140 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

I don't understand why people say that Alonso benefited from a SC ...

he overtook Heikki and Raikonnen after the last SC when he was the last driver ... I don't see the luck factor here ...

why was he behind heikki? whould he ever be in a 1000 years of racing today if heikki was not f*** by the safety car?

#141 Formulaonefan

Formulaonefan

• 389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:55

fia made worse decision allowing macca ecu

#142 HP

HP

• 14,197 posts

Originally posted by lukywill

ferrari need alonso to replace massa. :D

Ferrari foremost needs a car that heats up tires quickly. That has been for years their weakness and now they really need to fix this.

#143 HP

HP

• 14,197 posts

Kovalainen made the fastest lap.

#144 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:56

Alonso NOT the driver of the race. I would give it to Bourdais.

#145 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

yes. its obvious they've an advantage :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

#146 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

ah yes, already making noises. I wonder how long before Ferrari will take Maccas to the FIA court over this.

#147 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,493 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:57

God damn it I hate these safety car rules. It ruins perfectly good races.

#148 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

What I'd like to know is how in hell did Bourdais even get to 4th place anyway?

#149 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,493 posts

Originally posted by micra_k10
God damn it I hate these safety car rules. It ruins perfectly good races.

I puts the strategy of pitting later under risk.

#150 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:58

ahh ok, thanks, rokie mistake