Photo

Aussie F1 Fans - Channel 10 Race Coverage

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:21

Just checking out the schedule for the next GP, Channel Ten has decided not to use the HD channel in order to stream the live coverage of the race, instead we will be watching the Malaysian GP coverage over 5 hours after the chequered flag has dropped at 11pm.

Piss poor performance Channel 10.

Do any aussie fans know if Channel 10 will ever use their HD channel to telecast F1 live and not just Nascar?

Advertisement

#2 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,208 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:23

Boohoo dude, we didn't even get the NZL round of the A1 live here, and I've just given up on our broadcasters. Yay for A1GP's web video feed!

#3 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:23

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso
Just checking out the schedule for the next GP, Channel Ten has decided not to use the HD channel in order to stream the live coverage of the race, instead we will be watching the Malaysian GP coverage over 5 hours after the chequered flag has dropped at 11pm.

Piss poor performance Channel 10.

Do any aussie fans know if Channel 10 will ever use their HD channel to telecast F1 live and not just Nascar?

I thought they would be using HD for sure at every F1 race. If that's the case, that is shithouse. What could possibly be on the HD channel that is so important that they can't show F1 live? :confused:

Ridiculous if true.

#4 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:32

Originally posted by former champ

What could possibly be on the HD channel that is so important that they can't show F1 live? :confused:

Ridiculous if true.

The same thing that is on the normal channel, some movie and this is why it is so frustrating. Check out the online TV guide at yahoo7.

#5 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:35

I just got HD this weekend so I could watch the Malaysian GP live next weekend. If I have to wait for the usual delay, I will be most unhappy. To say the least. :down:

#6 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:35

The same thing that is on the normal channel, some movie and this is why it is so frustrating. Check out the online TV guide at yahoo7.

sepang race has been listed live on HD for a month now.

#7 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:36

Why the **** do they even have multiple digital/hd channels if they just simulcast the main channel on all of them? They don't even rotate the feeds with delays or anything !!!

grr.

Btw this should probably be merged into the existing F1 on TV in Australia thread.

#8 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:39

Originally posted by Durant

that's what I thought. Lets hope it hasn't changed.

#9 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:39

I just checked the guide and online and both show delays. I hope they got it wrong.

#10 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:44

http://ten.com.au/te...t-schedule.html

what guide are you using? link?

#11 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:44

The site hasnt changed but I wouldnt put it past 10.

edit: crap

#12 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:51

what guide are you using? link?

The local guide, it just came out today. I hope they have stuffed up.

I might call channel ten tomorrow morning to get some confirmation on times and what their plans are for F1 telecasts for the rest of the season.

#13 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:54

Apparently the word is that all the races will be live on hd but I wont trust them until I actually watch it. Its still too good to be true for me.

#14 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:00

Apparently the word is that all the races will be live on hd but I wont trust them until I actually watch it. Its still too good to be true for me.

My sentiments exactly. I have TVU just in case.

#15 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:24

Qualifying was never going to be shown live on HD, but the races were, and on that rpm site it says malaysia still will be shown live...hmmm

#16 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:36

yeah i just dont like the fine print at the bottom of the rpm site, that and the latest guides state that it will be on at 11pm on Ten HD which is the same as the regular channel.

#17 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:43

Maybe give ten a call? not that it will probably do you much good, everytime ive called the lady on the phone says she cant help me cos she doesnt know, and when i asked her to put someone on the phone that does know, im on hold for 20 minutes before i crack the shits and hang up.

#18 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:45

i am on the phone now with channel ten...not looking good at the moment...

#19 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:48

Oh and one other thing you might wanna do whilst on the phone, maybe ask for an explanation as to why they would host the pinnacle of motorsport but not let the fans actually hear what drivers have to say after the race in a press conference? jeeze they piss me off when they dont show it. Utterly horrible.

Advertisement

#20 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:51

Originally posted by kids like ash
Oh and one other thing you might wanna do whilst on the phone, maybe ask for an explanation as to why they would host the pinnacle of motorsport but not let the fans actually hear what drivers have to say after the race in a press conference? jeeze they piss me off when they dont show it. Utterly horrible.

I hear you, but i will settle for live coverage first and worry about the press conference later. So far i have been bounced around between Adelaide and Sydney offices, waiting on a call back from Sydney office sports department. So far their internal schedule shows the race at 11pm!!! However their public site lists it as 5pm LIVE. Will let you know more when i have info.

#21 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:55

Sweet deal thankyou.

#22 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:26

Still on hold, Italiano Tifoso?

Edit: Oh, you're waiting for them to call back. Maybe we should all try giving them a call:
Sydney - 02 9650 1010
Melbourne - 03 92751010
Brisbane - 07 3214 1010
Adelaide - 08 8225 1010
Perth - 08 9345 1010

#23 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:27

10 doesn't have multiple HD channels like ABC with its ABC 2. So I don't see how they would show the F1 live instead of their news at 5.

#24 Philip Lee KK

Philip Lee KK

• 357 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:29

just saw the tv guide. not happy jan :mad:

#25 Philip Lee KK

Philip Lee KK

• 357 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:30

Originally posted by Classic Ferrari
10 doesn't have multiple HD channels like ABC with its ABC 2. So I don't see how they would show the F1 live instead of their news at 5.

no they don't but if i wanna watch the news, i can go back to SD. i don't need HD for news thank you very much ch10.

#26 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:03

What time is the Malaysian GP live into the East Coast? Baring in mind next Sunday we end daylight savings??

#27 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:06

Saw the tv guide... :down:

That is just blatant disrespect for fans. :mad: Quali on at 2am and race at 11pm - thats worse than ever.

#28 optics

optics

• 50 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:38

Originally posted by Classic Ferrari

Actually I thought 10 did have 2 HD channels (channels 1 and 12), with channel 10 as the SD. Also, ABC 2 is only a SD channel I think.

But anyway, they had better use channel 1 HD to show the GPs live, or I'll really hold my breath!!

#29 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:53

It makes no sense to not show the F1 live in HD when they have two channels showing the same program. It seems they just dont want to show it for the hell of it. Pure **** really. its 2008 and we are stil fighting for live coverage. Most countries have had it for decades.

#30 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:12

Originally posted by optics
Actually I thought 10 did have 2 HD channels (channels 1 and 12), with channel 10 as the SD. Also, ABC 2 is only a SD channel I think.

But anyway, they had better use channel 1 HD to show the GPs live, or I'll really hold my breath!!

hmm well i'll try mucking around with it, because live on HD at 5 doesn't sound too bad at all. Though it seems that they don't give a rats ass about quali. 10 have been advertising about going all HD with all the yank sports like NFL and nascar so they better pull out some decent F1 schedules (viewable that is)

#31 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:59

It makes no sense to not show the F1 live in HD when they have two channels showing the same program. It seems they just dont want to show it for the hell of it. Pure **** really. its 2008 and we are stil fighting for live coverage. Most countries have had it for decades.

This is exactly my point. Sorry guys got held up in a meeting. Spoke to Kate from Channel Ten sports programming department in Sydney. She was not too helpful as she was just coming back from the Melbourne GP herself. So a fan of F1 is she??? Asked that question and asked what the story was with their HD channel and F1.

She couldn't answer me as she didn't have the information in front of her being in Melbourne but would get back to me tomorrow.

I asked her what the plan was with the HD channel and the F1 seeing as it did not make sense to telecast the same programs on both channels as perhaps they may achieve greater market share in telecasting different programs on each station. I could not get an answer out of her on this, she just kept stating that she will get back to me tomorrow.

Interesting though she did state that she has had numerous requests on this point to telecast live races by many F1 fans...maybe she has not had enough requests. D-Day is tomorrow for Channel Ten and Kate who was both rude and obnoxious on the phone. If the answer tomorrow is not satisfactory, this being that Channel 10 will be using their HD station to for once finally telecast races live i will have no choice but for Kate to listen to the frustrated F1 fans among us, i will supply everyone her mobile number and we can demonstrate just how many F1 fans are out there who want the live coverage of F1 that we all deserve.

#32 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:09

Thanks for the update Italiano Tifoso. I would encourage everyone to email rpm@networkten.com.au (only email address I could find) to voice your extreme disappointment, and to phone your local Ten branch:

Sydney - 02 9650 1010
Melbourne - 03 92751010
Brisbane - 07 3214 1010
Adelaide - 08 8225 1010
Perth - 08 9345 1010

I've already done both. It's a long shot, but the least we can do is try. And to fire off an email and make a quick phone call will take you no longer than 5 minutes.

#33 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:19

While it won't be live, 11pm is fine for me. No one else is very interested in it anyway! And I think 11pm is a good time slot compared to some later ones we have to tolerate. I guess the Singapore night race might be about the same time, and might be live?

I guess live for Malaysia would be around prime time for Sunday night on Australian Standard East Coast time?

#34 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:19

Originally posted by Just
Thanks for the update Italiano Tifoso. I would encourage everyone to email rpm@networkten.com.au (only email address I could find) to voice your extreme disappointment, and to phone your local Ten branch:

Sydney - 02 9650 1010
Melbourne - 03 92751010
Brisbane - 07 3214 1010
Adelaide - 08 8225 1010
Perth - 08 9345 1010

I've already done both. It's a long shot, but the least we can do is try. And to fire off an email and make a quick phone call will take you no longer than 5 minutes.

Totally agree, you have to be heard, general rule of thumb with TV networks is for every 1 person that calls and complains about an issue at least 1,000 more are pissed off about the same thing. Let's be heard.

If no good answer tomorrow i think we should also target one person within Channel 10 as it will have the desired effect.

#35 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:25

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
While it won't be live, 11pm is fine for me. No one else is very interested in it anyway! And I think 11pm is a good time slot compared to some later ones we have to tolerate. I guess the Singapore night race might be about the same time, and might be live?

I guess live for Malaysia would be around prime time for Sunday night on Australian Standard East Coast time?

I think you are missing the point entirely.

Channel 10 has 2 channels, they telecast Nascar live and they have the sole rights to F1. Why telecast the same news on both channels or the same Sunday night movie on both channels, especially seeing as the movies are not recorded in HD anyway so there is little clarity benefit in having most movies on HD anyway.

Last year there was one channel, and i totally understand that most the population would rather watch Lethal Weapon 4 for the 5th time then watch F1, but here and now they have the capacity to cater for both viewers.

Seems a waste of resources from Channel 10 if you ask me and pretty much most other F1 fans here.

Watching a race 4 hours after it has finished is kinda insulting especially now with the 2 channels. Most people would agree and understand.

#36 Witt

Witt

• 3,308 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:31

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

I am the fool who really believed that we'd finally get the live coverage of races in 2008 that we have missed since 1981.

I'm also a poor fool. I even went out and bought a HD box just for this.

I just want to watch the races on my tv, and the live timing on my computer, at the same time to get the most out watching my favourite sport. Is that too much to ask for?

#37 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:38

This is all very strange.

#38 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:56

I think you are missing the point entirely.

Channel 10 has 2 channels, they telecast Nascar live and they have the sole rights to F1. Why telecast the same news on both channels or the same Sunday night movie on both channels, especially seeing as the movies are not recorded in HD anyway so there is little clarity benefit in having most movies on HD anyway.

Last year there was one channel, and i totally understand that most the population would rather watch Lethal Weapon 4 for the 5th time then watch F1, but here and now they have the capacity to cater for both viewers.

Seems a waste of resources from Channel 10 if you ask me and pretty much most other F1 fans here.

Watching a race 4 hours after it has finished is kinda insulting especially now with the 2 channels. Most people would agree and understand.

What a useless mole. The season has already started and she cant confirm whether a major sporting event will be shown live all season. Ch 10 are amateurs and always have been. Just look the coverage for the oz gp. The host is a news reader, and the pit reporter is a former motor bike rider.

#39 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:59

What a useless mole. The season has already started and she cant confirm whether a major sporting event will be shown live all season. Ch 10 are amateurs and always have been. Just look the coverage for the oz gp. The host is a news reader, and the pit reporter is a former motor bike rider.

Mole indeed, it was a simple question which she did not want to answer. One would have thought if you had a HD channel you would have discussed internally the possibility to provide live sports coverage on that channel, especially for F1 which you present as being a big supporter of.

I don't understand the thinking behind not doing it...what else are they going to show on the HD channel???

Advertisement

#40 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:12

From the ch10 forums.

Well, I've just been told by a N10 switchboard operator that the programming change (to non-live F1 on 10HD) was made 2 weeks ago and rpm just couldn't be bothered changing their website.

I still cant understand the reasoning of not wanting to show it live when they have two channels. Surely the ratings would not be effected because they have another channel showing the exact same thing. I ****en knew it was all too good to be true.

#41 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:18

The operators wont be able to give us more info beyond what is in front of them. What we need to have confirmed is whether this is the decision for the entire season and we need to speak to programming on this. Let's wait until tomorrow, if the answer is not satisfactory we will address it the only way we can...

#42 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:29

utterly ****ing pathetic from Channel 10. There is no other way to put it, they have the perfect scenario with the HD channel and they still can't be ****ed with showing F1 live. Who the **** wants to watch the news on the HD channel? :mad:

****ing arseholes. Thank God I'm in Europe for 3 months later this year. If this won't happen with the 2 channels then I think its safe to say we will never, ever get live Formula 1 coverage in this country.

Worst of all, they apparantly promised it and then changed their minds at the last minute. :down:

#43 wiligates

wiligates

• 5,147 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:29

Originally posted by Witt

I

Me too.Not a total loss for me as i stuck it on the spare tele so it now has digital.Small consolation.
I'm sick of speculating but i guess when they start showing the cricket that everyones dying to see
:rolleyes: they may make some arrangement so that we see F1 before midnight.Not holding my breath though.

#44 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:34

Originally posted by Witt
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

I am the fool who really believed that we'd finally get the live coverage of races in 2008 that we have missed since 1981.

I just want to watch the races on my tv, and the live timing on my computer, at the same time to get the most out watching my favourite sport. Is that too much to ask for?

Learn not to trust!

HD box is still good for other things! Watch a movie!

The live Malaysian GP would be at 4:00pm or 4:30 PM, in that area of time I think. Funny thing is with that time, that's a time Bernie says is not satisfactory for Melbourne! Yet for Malaysia, its just fine? That makes me more mad than missing a live race :mad: (although using the computer and the screen would be fun).

the things being shown at that time will be:

One Tree Hill (60)4:00pm - 5:00pm
Angry Planet PG (30) 5:00pm - 5:30pm
Ten News (30)5:30pm - 6:00pm
Sports Tonight (30)6:00pm - 6:30pm
The Biggest Loser (60)6:30pm - 7:30pm

The normal channel is showing the same programs as the HD. So IMO they would have to cut into One Tree Hill (whatever that is) and maybe cut into the biggest looser. And I imagine the 5pm to 7pm time slots would be peak demand. I wonder if any of those programs are made in HD, and whether they actually look better on the HD channel? :mad:

#45 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:45

Its so clear for me now, it is far better to watch a bunch of overweight individuals in HD then a spectacular sporting event such as F1.

Can't wait for Big Brother to start so that the coverage is pushed back yet again to make way for big brother up late!

I better stop thinking about it because it really is starting to **** me!

#46 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:02

Its so clear for me now, it is far better to watch a bunch of overweight individuals in HD then a spectacular sporting event such as F1.

Can't wait for Big Brother to start so that the coverage is pushed back yet again to make way for big brother up late!

I better stop thinking about it because it really is starting to **** me!

Thats just the start of it. With the cricket being shown live 4 races (including Monaco) will be on extremely late, after midnight. But lets not get too carried away until we know the full story.

#47 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:34

All Australians please read this.

I have just send in "my story" to A Current Affair and I will do the same to Today Tonight, and i think all of you should do the same, if ACA are getting numerous emails reguarding the same thing, and they will read it and take notice, i also said in my email that i am willing to start a petition to get things underway, so off you go,

http://aca.ninemsn.c...aspx?formid=228

Thats the ACA link i havent tried Today Tonight yet

Together we can make this work, this is my quick little email i am thinking of sending off, its taken me ten minutes and i KNOW it isnt the best so bewfore i send it, suggestions and editing would be fantastic.

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcome, but if your going to be an idiot about it dont bother.

Hi, well the subject title sums some of my story up, Network 10 and their false advertising costing us Australians thousands of dollars.

This is in relation to their rights to broadcast Formula 1 exclusively to channel 10.

Earlier this year, Network 10 advertised Formula 1 will be shown LIVE exclusively to TENHD, and for all those thousands of Formula 1 fans who have been waiting for live coverage of our beloved sport for as long as i can remember, we thought our cries had finally been heard, but they weren't.

Thousands of people rushed out to buy there HD set top boxes for one soul purpose, and that was to view F1 LIVE on TENHD. The cheapest boxes retailing at about $185 give or take a few dollars.

Now Network Ten has come out, and done a complete backflip and have decided not to show F1 live to there HD channel. And instead, they are going to double up and show the the same programmes that are running on there standard definition channel.

This is a crime, its a crime against the Australian Formula 1 viewing public and Motorsport Viewing public in general, and there are thousands of peopel, who just spent a hell of alot of money so that they can watch there beloved sport, and now they cant and have no use for there's set top box, $190 down the toilet.

Network TEN has had exclusive rights to air Formula 1 in Australia since 2003. Since then, we have had to digest nothing but total rubbish broadcasting.

The way myself, and thousands of others in Australia see it, if your going to host the pinnacle of motorsport on your network, you blood well host it properly, you dont cut the coverage short to fit in with reality tv shows, or prime time TV. You cannot, advertise something, and after the viewing public spends thousands of dollars so they can view it, turn around and say no we won't show it LIVE.

I cannot get my head around why network 10 continue to hold the contract to air Formula 1 exclusively in Australia, and do the worst job possible, instead of handing it over to Foxtel, who can actually broadcast live practice, and qualifying sessions, and show races LIVE on Fox Sports so the Australian Viewing Public can finally be satisfied to watch our sport, the pinnacle of motorsport around the world, in peace.

It would mean so much to myself, my family, and the thousands of Australians out there if our cries are heard on A Current Affair, and we can actually voice it and not be ignored, because being ignored for 5 years about the same problem, is not how we should be treated.

Although this story may not be touching, and good enough to make it onto your show, I am willing to start a petition, and send it in to ACA to show how serious we the fans, are about this matter and how strongly we will fight this.

There are alot of angry Australians who are ready to walk on down to there local Network Ten branch, slam the set top box down on the table and ask them for reimbursement, because after all, we're the one's losing in the end, and we do not have uses for these set top boxes anymore.

This is a serious matter, and could result in legal action against Network Ten, I'll say it again, this is a crime, a crime against the Australian viewing public and for too long our complaints have been ignored, for too long we have watched the future of our sport dying in this country we call home, and for too long we have been silenced. Well we are sick of it, and it is time for us to be heard.

Reguards,

Ashley Nathan.

#48 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:21

Originally posted by kids like ash
All Australians please read this.

I have just send in "my story" to A Current Affair and I will do the same to Today Tonight, and i think all of you should do the same, if ACA are getting numerous emails reguarding the same thing, and they will read it and take notice, i also said in my email that i am willing to start a petition to get things underway, so off you go,

http://aca.ninemsn.c...aspx?formid=228

Thats the ACA link i havent tried Today Tonight yet

Reguards,

Ashley Nathan.[/I]

You think Channel 7's Today tonight or Channel 9's ACA will even consider doing a story on Network 10's F1 coverage?? :p

#49 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:22

Originally posted by Mat

You think Channel 7's Today tonight or Channel 9's ACA will even consider doing a story on Network 10's F1 coverage?? :p

You never know - they love taking potshots at each other...

#50 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:24

From the ch10 forums.

I still cant understand the reasoning of not wanting to show it live when they have two channels. Surely the ratings would not be effected because they have another channel showing the exact same thing. I ****en knew it was all too good to be true.

Well, they were all set to do this only a few weeks ago, so im not sure what has changed.

It might have something to do with FOM broadcast agreements. Maybe when bernie came into town and put a stop to it until a got a little more cash. Each TV deal is different. Network 10 may have negotiated a price with bernie that was for 'mostly delayed' coverage.