Aussie F1 Fans - Channel 10 Race Coverage

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#51 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:25

Originally posted by Mat

You think Channel 7's Today tonight or Channel 9's ACA will even consider doing a story on Network 10's F1 coverage?? :p

If there is a real case of false advertising the other networks will take a shot at channel ten.

Advertisement

#52 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:26

Originally posted by bystander31

You never know - they love taking potshots at each other...

Its not taking a pot shot... it's free publicity for Network 10's F1 coverage.

#53 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:29

Obviously theres next to no chance of this actually being considered, but if you arent part of the solution your part of the problem, the more people email aca the more they'll actually notice it

and i figured id go to channel 9 instead of bothering with channel 10, cos they are a rival company, and if this is an opportunity for channel 9 to make network ten look bad why wouldnt they take it? and it is false advertising and when you think about it, if ten people bought hd boxes soley for F1, thats over $1000 already that didnt need to be spent had Network Ten not opened their big mouths.

#54 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:34

Originally posted by kids like ash
All Australians please read this.

I have just send in "my story" to A Current Affair and I will do the same to Today Tonight, and i think all of you should do the same, if ACA are getting numerous emails reguarding the same thing, and they will read it and take notice, i also said in my email that i am willing to start a petition to get things underway, so off you go,

http://aca.ninemsn.c...aspx?formid=228

Thats the ACA link i havent tried Today Tonight yet

Together we can make this work, this is my quick little email i am thinking of sending off, its taken me ten minutes and i KNOW it isnt the best so bewfore i send it, suggestions and editing would be fantastic.

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcome, but if your going to be an idiot about it dont bother.

Hi, well the subject title sums some of my story up, Network 10 and their false advertising costing Australians thousands of dollars.

This is in relation to their rights to broadcast Formula 1 exclusively to channel 10.

Earlier this year, Network 10 advertised that Formula 1 would be shown LIVE exclusive on TENHD, and for thousands of Australian Formula 1 fans (who have been waiting for live coverage of our beloved sport for as long as i can remember), we thought our cries had finally been heard, but they weren't.

Thousands of people rushed out to buy their HD set top boxes for one sole purpose, and that was to view F1 LIVE on TENHD. The cheapest boxes retailing at about $185 give or take a few dollars.

Now Network Ten has come out, and done a complete backflip and have decided not to show F1 live on their HD channel. And instead, they are going to double up and show the the same programmes that are running on there standard definition channel.

This is a crime, its a crime against the Australian Formula 1 viewing public and Motorsport Viewing public in general, and there are thousands of people, who just spent a hell of a lot of money so that they can watch their beloved sport, and now they cant and have no use for their set top box, $185 down the toilet.

Network TEN has had exclusive rights to air Formula 1 in Australia since 2003. Since then, we have had to digest nothing but total rubbish broadcasting.

The way myself, and thousands of others in Australia see it, if your going to host the pinnacle of motorsport on your network, you should bloody well host it properly, you don't cut the coverage short to fit in with reality tv shows, or prime time TV. You cannot, advertise something, and after the viewing public spends thousands of dollars so they can view it, turn around and say no we won't show it LIVE.

I cannot get my head around why network 10 continue to hold the contract to air Formula 1 exclusively in Australia, and do the worst job possible, instead of handing it over to Foxtel, who can actually broadcast live practice, and qualifying sessions, and show races LIVE on Fox Sports so the Australian Viewing Public can finally be satisfied to watch our sport, the pinnacle of motorsport around the world, in peace.

It would mean so much to myself, my family, and the thousands of Australians out there if our cries are heard on A Current Affair, and we can actually voice it and not be ignored, because being ignored for 5 years about the same problem, is not how we should be treated.

Although this story may not be touching, and good enough to make it onto your show, I am willing to start a petition, and send it in to ACA to show how serious we the F1 fans, are about this matter and how strongly we will fight this.

There are a lot of angry Australians who are ready to walk on down to there local Network Ten branch, slam the set top box down on the table and ask them for reimbursement, because after all, we're the one's losing in the end, and we do not have uses for these set top boxes anymore.

This is a serious matter, and could result in legal action against Network Ten, I'll say it again, this is a crime, a crime against the Australian viewing public and for too long our complaints have been ignored, for too long we have watched the future of our sport dying in this country we call home, and for too long we have been silenced. Well we are sick of it, and it is time for us to be heard.

Regards,

Ashley Nathan.

I've just made some corrections as i didn't feel right changing the letter itself.

The way i see it a rival network will have a better time attacking channel ten for misleading advertising, or a story about how Channel 10 fails to support Australia's Mark Webber by providing decent coverage. Also the fact that the growing number of disgruntled viewers are turning to high speed broadband connections to attain live coverage of sporting events, this would be interesting for A Current Affair. Just have to find the right angle.

#55 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:10

I have just phoned Channel 10 *again*, and asked them what's the deal with F1 in general (they've updated http://ten.com.au/te...t-schedule.html to show that the Malaysian GP will be delayed, BTW). They said that the Malaysian GP can't be shown live on TenHD due to clashing with "So You Think You Can Dance", which is filmed in HD apparently. They also said that no decision has been made on future races, and that they don't really intend to decide timeslots this early in advance. So a decision on each race will be made on a case-by-case basis, on what timeslot it'll be given, depending on whether or not it clashes with something else.

Who knows how true this is - I bet every time someone phones, we'll get a different answer. Please feel free to call them yourselves and see what they say.

#56 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,655 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:19

Did anyone see this news report on Channel 10 - Melbourne on Friday after the FP sessions?

:lol:

http://www.mytalk.co...?t=audio&w=7538

#57 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:28

Originally posted by Just
I have just phoned Channel 10 *again*, and asked them what's the deal with F1 in general (they've updated http://ten.com.au/te...t-schedule.html to show that the Malaysian GP will be delayed, BTW). They said that the Malaysian GP can't be shown live on TenHD due to clashing with "So You Think You Can Dance", which is filmed in HD apparently. They also said that no decision has been made on future races, and that they don't really intend to decide timeslots this early in advance. So a decision on each race will be made on a case-by-case basis, on what timeslot it'll be given, depending on whether or not it clashes with something else.

Pathetic. F1 is just an afterthought for them.

#58 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:10

Whats even sadder is that the Australian TV audience watches crap like So You Think You Can Dance in droves.

Mat - looks like the CDT will be busier than we expected.

#59 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,067 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:26

Originally posted by gerry nassar
Whats even sadder is that the Australian TV audience watches crap like So You Think You Can Dance in droves.

But in America their racing drivers have attacked that problem another way: Castranoves who is an open wheel driver, won one of those think you can dance competitions. Fact is the dancing is good for people too - its not necessarily a couch potatoe thing, as people do dance and get back into it.

Its just a clash - if it wasn't that program, it would be something else.

Advertisement

#60 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:53

Originally posted by Mat

Network 10 may have negotiated a price with bernie that was for 'mostly delayed' coverage.

That would be ironic considering the carry on about serving F1 up to the Euro masses at an appropriate hour. :drunk:

#61 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:06

Ok guys, here is an update, just got a call from Channel 10 sport.

He stated that they have had a massive response on their RPM forum, a huge barrage of people swearing on the forums complaining about F1 coverage from Ten HD, that they have had to shut the forum down. So they are getting the message load and clear.

Gus (who is the guy that called me) stated that the problem is with their contract for the dance show and they contractually have to show it live and in HD, so the matter of the Malaysian Race came down to a matter of minutes as to whether they could fit in the F1 telecast live before the dance show. Problem was if the race ran longer they would have to switch to the dance show potentially missing the last 5-10 laps of the race; which would happen especially if it is a wet race.

He stated that they expect to be able to telecast the majority of the European races live and this includes Bahrain also, the question will be whether China and Japan will be live.

So short of it is that we should be getting better coverage throughout the year, he stated that F1 should be shown on HD straight after Rove on Sunday night as it fits in perfectly with the Euro time slot for the F1 races. Might be 30 minutes delayed at worst because Rove tends to run overtime.

I suggested that they post a letter on their RPM forum detailing the scheduling to the F1 fans as a form of commitment with all the info he gave me as we just want to know we are being heard andnot being ignored as we have been in the past. He will be doing this in a couple of days.

He was very helpful, actually knew what he was talking about which is more then i can say for Kate.

Let's wait until Bahrain to see how things pan out, but at this stage Malaysia will be on at 11pm this weekend.

#62 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:08

F1 delayed for rove the most rubbish show on aussie tv. Great. Big brother will be on soon and that always runs late so rove will run even later so the races will probably be delayed 1 hour at the least, basically same as before.

#63 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:14

It will be Live Durant, give or take 30 minutes. So this is a win compared to what we got in the past.

All in all we should be pleased. Now about live qualifying.......probably pushing it.

#64 bystander31

bystander31

• 724 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:15

Originally posted by Durant
F1 delayed for rove the most rubbish show on aussie tv. Great. Big brother will be on soon and that always runs late so rove will run even later so the races will probably be delayed 1 hour at the least, basically same as before.

Yep. Seen this all before. Thanks a heap 10.

#65 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,067 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:16

Originally posted by wiligates

That would be ironic considering the carry on about serving F1 up to the Euro masses at an appropriate hour. :drunk:

:up:

But it also indicates why Bernie wants the afternoon slots in Europe. The ratings would be high enough in Europe, for TV to pay Bernie the premium price. I have seen it in Germany, the telecasts are terrific, with Lauda doing all sorts of commentary and interviews, all sorts of back stuff, the whole thing goes for a lot longer than merely the race. Its terrific TV. We won't get that because we have low rating, late time slots.

Ironically though, because we get poor times, the Australian Nation itself doesn't seem to perceive the benefits of holding onto a GP.

However I think that there are much lesser benefits in having a Melbourne night time GP from a PR point of view, if the only thing that the rest of the world sees is a white track surrounded by twinking lights and black everywhere. Compared to Singapore's street circuit, a night Albert Park would look like Qatar IMO - highly bazaar and completely forgettable.

#66 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:43

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso
So short of it is that we should be getting better coverage throughout the year, he stated that F1 should be shown on HD straight after Rove on Sunday night as it fits in perfectly with the Euro time slot for the F1 races. Might be 30 minutes delayed at worst because Rove tends to run overtime.

Doesn't sound any better than what we have now. :| Rove will finish at 10:30 - 11pm, and only then will they go to the race - same timeslot as last year. Why on earth can't they show Rove only on SD, and the race live on HD? Does a talk show actually benefit from HD? Ridiculous.

#67 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:45

Mats theory makes no sense. Why would it cost more to show it live?

#68 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:46

What time does rove usually start?

#69 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:03

Originally posted by Durant
What time does rove usually start?

9.30. But with Big Brother/Australian Idol overruns - even later. And Rove runs for atleast 1hr10mins too.

#70 Just

Just

• 673 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rove_live says that it starts at 8:30, and is meant to run for an hour. Allowing for 20 minutes of overtime, it should actually be finished by 9:50 - time for (eastern state) live starts for the European rounds. Or is the 8:30 start time no longer the case?

#71 bystander31

bystander31

• 724 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:07

9.30. But with Big Brother/Australian Idol overruns - even later. And Rove runs for atleast 1hr10mins too.

But the Euro races start at 10p.m. So that means 10:40 (if no delays) starts right? Or is Rove not on Ten HD?

#72 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:24

It must be 8.30, right after BB or Idol, but they usually run upto 30 minutes overtime especially the first month of the top 12.

#73 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:40

Big thanks for all the info Italiano Tifoso. Just hope that we end up getting the majority of the races live on HD

#74 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:43

yep, looks like a few clashes afterall. It seems N10 are getting an idea of the interest, it'll get there slowly. Contracts allowing.

#75 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:57

Originally posted by Classic Ferrari
Big thanks for all the info Italiano Tifoso. Just hope that we end up getting the majority of the races live on HD

No probs mate, i think Rove is on at 8:30 and finishes at around 9:30 - 9:40 so we should get Live or close to live coverage from 10pm. At least this is what i was told today. Lets see what happens when we get to spain.

#76 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:00

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso

No probs mate, i think Rove is on at 8:30 and finishes at around 9:30 - 9:40 so we should get Live or close to live coverage from 10pm. At least this is what i was told today. Lets see what happens when we get to spain.

agreed. Good research dude. :up:

#77 bystander31

bystander31

• 724 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:06

Yes thanks Italiano Tifoso. :up: :up:

You might also want to edit your earlier post and remove Kate's mobile number...

#78 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:11

Yeah thanks Italiano Tifoso - great work :up:

#79 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:12

Originally posted by SchuOz
Did anyone see this news report on Channel 10 - Melbourne on Friday after the FP sessions?

:lol:

http://www.mytalk.co...?t=audio&w=7538

That was gold :lol:

Advertisement

#80 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,816 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:16

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
Compared to Singapore's street circuit, a night Albert Park would look like Qatar IMO - highly bazaar and completely forgettable.

It's not called a bazaar in Qatar. It's called a "souk".

#81 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:05

agree, a night race i think would only look good on a street circuit in the city.

Lets all hope for some decent coverage from Ten and i have removed the post which gives out Kates mobile number.

#82 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,067 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:31

Originally posted by ensign14

It's not called a bazaar in Qatar. It's called a "souk".

:lol: The gold ones are the most impressive ...

#83 buellher

buellher

• 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 23:50

Thank you for going to all that trouble, Italian Tifosi - that was a top effort.

#84 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 23:57

Originally posted by buellher
Thank you for going to all that trouble, Italian Tifosi - that was a top effort.

Your welcome Ferris, at least now we can maybe sleep a little easier knowing we are not being ignored. Bahrain will be the first indication of Channel Ten's new commitment to F1.

#85 Racer Joe

Racer Joe

• 2,881 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 00:48

You have done a great job, Italian Tifoso.

I am just so sick of this shit. I realise commercial television stations have to make money. The majority of the TV watching masses do want to watch stupid shows and that is what they need to be showing to make money. That's fine. Now they have a separate channel(s) you would think they can do a better job than this.

Channel 10 are just fucken amateurs as far as broadcast scheduling goes. No wonder they always come behind 9 and 7. Even back in the days of Channel 9 they knew when they were going to show the next race at the end of the F1 telecast, as poor a time as they all tended to be. Channel 10 never ever knew when they were going to show the next race. Utterly pathetic.

This bloody dancing program didn't just come out of the woods in the last month. The obligation to show it when and where is known months in advance. So what the feck were they doing saying they could show the Malaysian GP live?

I am one of those peeps who went out and got a HD STB just for the F1. :mad:

#86 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:01

No problem, i understand your frustration as do the rest of us, hopefully it will come to an end soon. :up:

#87 Philip Lee KK

Philip Lee KK

• 355 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:01

i sent an email to Ten and here is their reply. i guess it's a relatively positive outcome.

19 March, 2008

Network Ten is committed to providing the best possible Motorsport coverage throughout 2008. From our 18-hour live coverage of the Formula 1 ING Australian Grand Prix and all the international Formula 1 rounds through MotoGP, NASCAR, the Australian Rally Championship, the Red Bull Air Race and RPM, TEN's motorsport portfolio remains world-class.

Wherever possible in 2008, Network Ten will broadcast its Formula 1 and MotoGP telecasts as early as possible on TenHD. Unfortunately, due to other programming commitments, it will not be possible to do this for every race. This includes TEN's coverage of the Formula 1 Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday 23 March.

When the opportunities arise, however, TEN will do its utmost to broadcast these races as early as possible on TenHD and on our main Ten channel. For example:

•MotoGP Round 2 from Jerez on Sunday 30 March will air on TenHD at approximately 10.10pm with the race commencing at 11pm (AEDT). This telecast will be live in Sydney and Melbourne.

•Formula 1 Round 3 from Bahrain on Sunday 6 April will air on Ten and TenHD at approximately 10.10pm with the race commencing at 10:30pm (AEDT). This telecast will also be live in Sydney and Melbourne.

Sport, and in particular motorsport, is one of the central drivers of TEN's High Definition strategy, hence the acquisition in 2008 of the NASCAR Nationwide Series and key races from the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Formula 1 and MotoGP are also key categories which will showcase on TenHD throughout 2008.

TEN's flagship motorsport program RPM also returns on 23 March to a new timeslot – 1pm on Sunday afternoons. Host Greg Rust along with Daryl Beattie, Cameron McConville, Kylie King, John Smailes, Mark Oastler and Peter Windsor will keep you up-to-speed with all the latest news and views from around the
globe.

Again, TEN remains fully committed to motorsport in 2008. We appreciate constructive feedback and always do what we can to incorporate this feedback when making programming decisions.

Yours faithfully
TEN Sport

#88 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,926 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 23:20

Originally posted by Racer Joe
You have done a great job, Italian Tifoso.

This bloody dancing program didn't just come out of the woods in the last month. The obligation to show it when and where is known months in advance. So what the feck were they doing saying they could show the Malaysian GP live?

I am one of those peeps who went out and got a HD STB just for the F1. :mad:

Me too. :mad:
Weird how we can't watch live the other GPs (Malaysia, China & Japan) that fall into what is essentially our time zone.

Channel 10 should have delayed the start of the dancing show 30 mins. They don't have to simulcast on SD & HD programming.

#89 nja

nja

• 472 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:40

Nice sentiments etc, BUT my beef is that even a 5 minute delay on the telecast wrecks everything.

For me, the whole point of a live telecast is watch it with live timing on F1.com. Even a 20min delay basically screws this, so for me its back to square one...

Another thing, why don't these idiots just program for the BB and Rove delays etc, they ALWAYS run long, so just allow for that in the programming. Ie - show Rove in the TV guide as running from 8.30 to 9.50 or whatever, rather than 8.30 to 9.30. My experience is that most people get pissed off because their expectatations have been raised about when a show will start and end, and then those expectations are not met.

#90 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:14

Originally posted by nja
Nice sentiments etc, BUT my beef is that even a 5 minute delay on the telecast wrecks everything.

For me, the whole point of a live telecast is watch it with live timing on F1.com. Even a 20min delay basically screws this, so for me its back to square one...

Another thing, why don't these idiots just program for the BB and Rove delays etc, they ALWAYS run long, so just allow for that in the programming. Ie - show Rove in the TV guide as running from 8.30 to 9.50 or whatever, rather than 8.30 to 9.30. My experience is that most people get pissed off because their expectatations have been raised about when a show will start and end, and then those expectations are not met.

I hear you, the live timing is a gem with a live race but beggers can't be chosers.

#91 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:23

Originally posted by armchair expert

Channel 10 should have delayed the start of the dancing show 30 mins. They don't have to simulcast on SD & HD programming.

Unfortunately the dance show is the highest rating show Ten has at the moment and i think that before it started broadcasting they probably planned on showing the F1 race .But having seen the ratings they have punted F1.
Read an interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald about the anti syphon list of sports ,one reason Ten may not be showing F1 on one channel and something else on the other is that Foxtel are livid that the free to air stations want to multi channel programming and Fox are lobbying government about it.How that flies i have no idea.

#92 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,067 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:40

Unfortunately the dance show is the highest rating show Ten has at the moment and i think that before it started broadcasting they probably planned on showing the F1 race .But having seen the ratings they have punted F1.
Read an interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald about the anti syphon list of sports ,one reason Ten may not be showing F1 on one channel and something else on the other is that Foxtel are livid that the free to air stations want to multi channel programming and Fox are lobbying government about it.How that flies i have no idea.

Interesting comment. Fox seems far too powerful IMO for a distribution that is user pays.

#93 Wilko

Wilko

• 296 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 19:18

Given the hurt on the economy I know poeple that are dropping pay TV rapidly as money dwindles and going back to the free TV, how many remains to be seen and what effect it has I am unsure of but it's market presence should be dwindling but hey the research figures may point the other way but my reality suggests otherwise

#94 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,067 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 22:58

Originally posted by Wilko
Given the hurt on the economy I know poeple that are dropping pay TV rapidly as money dwindles and going back to the free TV, how many remains to be seen and what effect it has I am unsure of but it's market presence should be dwindling but hey the research figures may point the other way but my reality suggests otherwise

We dropped cable years ago, after being an early subscriber. Back then, there were no advertisements. The whole point of cable was no advertisements. When they introduced the ads, I got annoyed and eventually realised that watching the end of movies wasn't interesting. They didn't have time shift then either. I also was not delivered a stereo cable device - and after telephone calls and a letter, I still was told I had to purchase what was promised. So I dropped the whole deal. Sport has improved a lot, but at the cost of taking over free to air sport. Which seems wrong IMO. Its commercial - it makes money for the cable operators - but overall I think it lessens value not adds to it.

#95 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:44

Channel 10 can go jump after this weekend. what do they think we all are............idiots............them not us, but am sure they think we are...............i suppose we'll get the same treatment for bahrain....typical, have even given us watching RPM, or has it not started yet.
if those at RPM are so keen on motorsport, why can't they do something about it.
i mean, it must piss them off too, that the service that their employers are providing is so pathetic.

#96 silver fan

silver fan

• 3,104 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:51

I gave up on Channel 10 a long time ago, Still at least I was able to watch the race live online HERE.

#97 Actuary

Actuary

• 281 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:53

Originally posted by silver fan
I gave up on Channel 10 a long time ago, Still at least I was able to watch the race live online HERE.

Enjoy it while you can. BBC will make sure it won't be as easy.

#98 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 23:29

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
Fox seems far too powerful IMO for a distribution that is user pays.

Just to add along that theme , yesterdays Sunday Telegraph(in Sydney)Murdoch owned ,aka Fox mouthpiece ,there was an article in it criticising Ten for showing the golf live on HD !Also said rather flabbergastingly that thats what might happen to other sports on Ten.Hah! If only! !The argument being that not everyone has the HD box.

Sunday Telegraph- Phillip Heads
It's the latest snubbing of sports fans by the free-to-air networks. The Sunday Telegraph took calls from angry viewers yesterday claiming Ten was letting down its audience.

With golf already seemingly entrenched on HD, how long until other major sports - Formula One, soccer or even football - are hidden away there? The majority of viewers were yesterday robbed of the chance to see Ogilvy's bogey-free five-under-par 67.

http://www.news.com....5012690,00.html

#99 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,067 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:30

Just to add along that theme , yesterdays Sunday Telegraph(in Sydney)Murdoch owned ,aka Fox mouthpiece ,there was an article in it criticising Ten for showing the golf live on HD !Also said rather flabbergastingly that thats what might happen to other sports on Ten.Hah! If only! !The argument being that not everyone has the HD box.

http://www.news.com....5012690,00.html

For the Telegraph to say that, is an example of why there used to be strong cross media controls to prevent monopoly/oligopoly powers.

it bemuses me the way on various sport radio stations the commentators always talk about Fox, without informing the public they are advertising.

Advertisement

#100 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:46

http://www.youtube.c...opic,908.0.html

Ill applaud that effort.