Aussie F1 Fans - Channel 10 Race Coverage

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#201 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:01

Originally posted by WOOT

If he was so good he would have won a race or two. The fact is most Australians view him with rose tinted glasses and then have the nerve to call Brits (I'm not one, although I do study in UK) biased towards Lewis.

Hello :wave: I've lived in the UK most of my life (apart from odd spells abroad) and I find the ITV coverage heavily biased towards Lewis. I wouldn't mind so much if they gave equal footing and air time to all the Brit drivers but they don't, and its been that way going back years depending on who the Brit most likely to give them some glory is. It used to be DC, followed by Jense, then Jense got unceremoniously dumped for Lewis.

I'm sure if you love Lewis it's all fine and dandy and you probably wouldn't even notice, but the rest of us actually tune in to watch and hear about all 22 drivers not just the Lewis Hamilton Roadshow! ;)

Advertisement

#202 Stibbles

Stibbles

• 343 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:06

Originally posted by Mat

I have a full HDTV and i can definately tell the difference between a SD broadcast and a full HD broadcast. The NASCAR HD races are very impressive. Although im getting used to it very quickly.

I read somewhere that Foxtel will only have 4 channels in HD when they launch in July?

Getting the broadcast in HD means we get closer to the original image quality, not impacted by lower
broadcast quality of SD (or analogue)

And yes, according to Foxtel's IQHD website there will initially only be 4 channels. There's no indication of the likely costs of IQHD though. Any ideas?

#203 Stibbles

Stibbles

• 343 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:08

Originally posted by Chiara

Hello :wave: I've lived in the UK most of my life (apart from odd spells abroad) and I find the ITV coverage heavily biased towards Lewis. I wouldn't mind so much if they gave equal footing and air time to all the Brit drivers but they don't, and its been that way going back years depending on who the Brit most likely to give them some glory is. It used to be DC, followed by Jense, then Jense got unceremoniously dumped for Lewis.

I'm sure if you love Lewis it's all fine and dandy and you probably wouldn't even notice, but the rest of us actually tune in to watch and hear about all 22 drivers not just the Lewis Hamilton Roadshow! ;)

Though to be fair, a national broadcaster will always have a greater focus on their own country's driver. That's generally what the average Joe wants. We always get a focus on Stoner, West, Bayliss and Corser. The way Troys dominate does get a bit monotonous tho. ;)

#204 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:12

Originally posted by Stibbles

Though to be fair, a national broadcaster will always have a greater focus on their own country's driver. That's generally what the average Joe wants. We always get a focus on Stoner, West, Bayliss and Corser. The way Troys dominate does get a bit monotonous tho. ;)

Which is why I said I wouldn't mind so much if all four of them got equal coverage but they don't. Poor old Ant Davidson for example struggling down there at Super Aguri is a total after thought most of the time ):

And if you look at coverage of football matches at least they talk about all the players, maybe I'm greedy but I like to hear the views of all concerned and see all their interviews not just hear what Lewis had for lunch, what colour socks he has on today etc etc

And it must be even more irritating if you get the feed and are not from the UK.

#205 WOOT

WOOT

• 429 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:33

Originally posted by Chiara
Poor old Ant Davidson for example struggling down there at Super Aguri is a total after thought most of the time ):

What else is there to say about SA and AD? If he was in a better midfield team then he would get talked about. Otherwise, there is nothing to say apart from the fact that on any race he will end up last or second last. As an example look at Button. He's getting coverage as well since there is at least something to talk about.

#206 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:41

It's not the constant attention on Lewis that is the biggest issue, it is the actual biased nature of their comments. Lewis hits the back of another car and it is first a brake test, then when it is proven that Alonso did nothing wrong the problem was with the car because the front wing apparently (which the footage dis proves) lost a piece of carbon fibre two seconds before impact giving Lewis a huge surge in acceleration....

Then there are those who comment on Alonso being too slow and this is why the impact happened....

It is all too much, if the guy makes a mistake or 4 in the case of the Bahrain GP weekend, call it a mistake, don't look for a scapegoat.

To state that a driver brake tests someone is a very poor thing to be accused of, and given this the ITV commentators should have apologised for making such an inference.

#207 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,620 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:33

None of us knew at the time what really happened, but if you think of what would of happened if the positions were reversed, it's not a huge leap of faith to suggest that there would of been alot of talk about the shark bite in Lewis's rear wing and how Alonso's collision from behind destroyed Lewis's race.

Instead it was Brundle (who I respect alot) getting quite emotional and basically saying "bring on that telemetry data, bring it on, cause there was no way Lewis just hit him without Alonso doing something to instigate it". Which was a bit silly when everyone knew afterwards it was a simple error (combination actually, not loading correct launch mode at start, first lap collision damaging front wing, second lap collision) from Lewis that triggered it. To his credit Brundle has sinced changed his opinion but unfortunately when it's said afterwards it's forgotten and if it's said during the race it's archived into race history. If you watch the race in 10 years time you won't remember what all the papers and forums said but you'll still hear those comments.

#208 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:18

Originally posted by HoldenRT
None of us knew at the time what really happened, but if you think of what would of happened if the positions were reversed, it's not a huge leap of faith to suggest that there would of been alot of talk about the shark bite in Lewis's rear wing and how Alonso's collision from behind destroyed Lewis's race.

Instead it was Brundle (who I respect alot) getting quite emotional and basically saying "bring on that telemetry data, bring it on, cause there was no way Lewis just hit him without Alonso doing something to instigate it". Which was a bit silly when everyone knew afterwards it was a simple error (combination actually, not loading correct launch mode at start, first lap collision damaging front wing, second lap collision) from Lewis that triggered it. To his credit Brundle has sinced changed his opinion but unfortunately when it's said afterwards it's forgotten and if it's said during the race it's archived into race history. If you watch the race in 10 years time you won't remember what all the papers and forums said but you'll still hear those comments.

I agree that the problem is, for those who follow F1 but only by watching races and not across the internet (and there are alot) they still are unaware that the ITV crew have since retracted their original assessments of the situation, and those fans are still going around with the perception in their heads that Alonso did something slightly devious.

Then when you move on to the next race weekend the subject is brushed under the carpet for new topics of discussion, and the issue never gets corrected in the minds of those who simply follow F1 by TV alone. Over the course of a season obviously small issues like this can build up into a bigger incorrect perception of what the actual situation is.

#209 rek

rek

• 1,315 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:57

OK I've just looked at the TV guide on Ten's web site for tomorrow's GP coverage, for Melbourne it looks that F1 is on the SD channel starting at 10.50pm (yeah, right), and not being broadcast on HD due to 20/20 cricket?

#210 duncanjn

duncanjn

• 137 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 20:51

Thank god I have a baby to wake me in the morning to watch F1 qualifying and didn't rely on the scheduled start from foxtel and channel 10. I think there may be quite a few pissed off people this morning that missed the Q beacause of scheduling problems

#211 Paul Prost

Paul Prost

• 745 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 22:46

Do you have the internet? I watched Qualifying live.

BTW did you all catch James Allen's comment : "Spanish TV coverage consists of Alonso versus 21 other idiots".

Oh ... the irony.

#212 P1McLarenMercedes

P1McLarenMercedes

• 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 22:53

Originally posted by Paul Prost
Do you have the internet? I watched Qualifying live.

BTW did you all catch James Allen's comment : "Spanish TV coverage consists of Alonso versus 21 other idiots".

Oh ... the irony.

so, whats everyones problem then? its like biased commentators are exclusive to ITV, when clearly theyre not. The only difference here is that ITV doesnt just go out to the UK, so people don't like the Hamilton coverage. If everyone got the spanish coverage, we'd be having the same conversation about Alonso. I think its time people got over it.

#213 Racer Joe

Racer Joe

• 2,881 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:12

You would expect the ITV boys to be fairly parochial, there is no real problem with that per se. The harping on about Mark Webber here from Ch.10 in Oz makes you think that it is him vs 21 other "idiots" as well. That is all fine and dandy - they have a show to sell and they have to sell it.

I have a lot of respect for Martin Brundle and his commentary. I think most of the times he does a terrific job and does convey the feel of the race across as far as who is quick and who is not and so on, useful when you are not watching the race live and can't use the live timing. But I was fairly disappointed with his effort in Bahrain. IMHO he had completely stepped over the line with his talking of Alonso's deliberate slowing down to get LH to get into the back of him with no real evidence to support his case. He not only said it after it has happened but mentioned it every single time they updated Lewis' progress, considering it was only speculation.

It was just smearing. I thought it was a disgrace.

Especially when it turned out Fred did none of that.

On that occasion I was watching the race on the internet and had live timing at the same time. I realised how much of the race he didn't convey. He could have been far more useful by mentioning a few more pertinent and factual things like fastest sector and lap times as they happened and giving them context. That is what he is there for. No repeatedly idlely speculating about a driver deliberately getting a rival to run into the back of him. If I hadn't used live timing I would have had a completely different impression of the race. It wasn't the first time I have watched a race on the internet and used the live timing - but it was the first time I thought how poor a job MB and JA were doing outside of talking about LH.

#214 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:21

Good points Joe. Btw the Spurs :down: , they always win once it's playoff time. They are like Ferarri. :p

About your last comment, that's what frustrates me most about the commentators. Even Brawn said it, it's really poor in conveying the race as it's happening. They are too busy talking about Lewis (not just Lewis, but alot of the time yes) to really pay attention to strategies, sector times and the like, and some of the time their predictions are way off because they aren't paying enough attention. Saying things like "x driver is a bolter for the podium" when they end up finishing 8th. Or the one that really bugs me, saying "x driver is the fastest on track" when it's because they lost a front wing and are on a different fuel strategy and are out of sync with the other cars (therefore fast when the others are slower, and slow when the others are faster). This happened with Rosberg at Sepang but it happens alot. It's not that bad if you have live timing, but if you watch a delayed telecast and your relying on those guys to "communicate" the race to you, like Brawn said it's poor.

#215 Racer Joe

Racer Joe

• 2,881 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:16

The Spurs trods through the regular season bored waiting for real action to begin in the playoffs. :D

You can just tell sometimes James Allen has no idea what is going on - some of his comments run so much against the flow of events unfolding during the race you wonder if he is watching the same race. I don't know what it is with him because for sure he is one of the better writers in F1 - especially his books on Schumacher which were extremely well-written, insightful and intelligent.

Go Spurs!! :smoking:

#216 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:44

Looks like http://www.justin.tv/mytv has been taken down by (insert devil incarnate here, ITV/Bernie).

So, I'll be stuck with Ch 10. Again. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

#217 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:36

Originally posted by armchair expert
Looks like http://www.justin.tv/mytv has been taken down by (insert devil incarnate here, ITV/Bernie).

So, I'll be stuck with Ch 10. Again. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Bloody ridiculous isn't it! BTW, bad luck with the blues this weekend, Adelaide was too good but some good things to come from Carlton this year. :up:

#218 clef

clef

• 303 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 14:59

Did we lose a chunk of time just after Kovalainen's crash?

#219 snark

snark

• 285 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 15:05

Boo, looks like we don't even get the post race/qualy interviews anymore :(

Last night (ahem, this morning) they said they couldn't do the post qualy interview due to a technical glitch. You'd sorta hope that 7 or so hours after the event by the time it was broadcast they could have come up with something.

Tonight after the race, no mention at all of the interview. Finish the podium, a couple of words of the usual bullcrap and end of telecast...

Advertisement

#220 JBDrake

JBDrake

• 117 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 15:07

Originally posted by clef
Did we lose a chunk of time just after Kovalainen's crash?

I think we lost a chunk of time with both of the Safety Cars.

#221 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 22:53

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso

Bloody ridiculous isn't it! BTW, bad luck with the blues this weekend, Adelaide was too good but some good things to come from Carlton this year. :up:

Thanks. Always hoping for better!

So, I watched the Superbikes Race 1, then the Supersports which finished just in time to 'watch' F1 live timing. I gave up waiting for Rove to finish and went to bed with the race just over half run and Ch 10 still crapping on.
I missed one race last year as I couldn't be stuffed staying up and this is the first this year. If CH 10 can put me off, there is zero chance for the casual fan to gain any interest.

#222 Witt

Witt

• 3,306 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:07

The beast that is Channel 10 has mastered the use of the ancient weapon 'Scissors', and unleashed it on their F1 coverage. I fear we mortals are doomed... to sub-sub-standard coverage for eternity.

All so they can broadcast a cricket match 10 minutes sooner. :rolleyes:

The elders of cricket and other nay-sayers were right. IPL and 20-20 is the WORST thing to happen to F1 coverage.

#223 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:23

if it's any saving grace about the unilaterals, they didn't show them live on
ITV either, and they didn't give any excuse either.

#224 hajolyn

hajolyn

• 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:59

Originally posted by KLN
if it's any saving grace about the unilaterals, they didn't show them live on
ITV either, and they didn't give any excuse either.

Yes they did, Steve Rider said they were pressed for time due to the race being longer than expected and would show more in the highlights.

#225 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:32

This weekends schedule on 10 for melbourne is:

Qualifying: 11pm both on DS & HD
Race: 10:40pm on SD, not on HD

Rove finishes at 10:10pm and then they have a 30 minute program called Flight Of The Conchords, which is about a music duo trying to make it in New York

#226 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,237 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:02

I saw the MotoGP bike race on 10HD in the late afternoon, I am not sure if it was live, but it looked like it was live! I cannot record HD, but having watched it maybe live, if I had wanted to record the standard definition I could have, by recording the normal definition after Rove.

#227 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:14

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
I saw the MotoGP bike race on 10HD in the late afternoon, I am not sure if it was live, but it looked like it was live! I cannot record HD, but having watched it maybe live, if I had wanted to record the standard definition I could have, by recording the normal definition after Rove.

I think it was live cause the betting closed at just before 4pm which is when the race started on 10 HD.

I had the same issue as you in terms of recording HD on my DVD HDD recorder, but fiddled around and feed the output from the HD set top box into the Line1 of the HDD recorder, at the moment can only watch my Digital TV through Line 1 on the DVD recorder, and to record the HD coverage I would have to set to record line 1 and make sure the set top box is on the correct channel.

#228 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:13

Hey! Guess what?
Channel 10 just said on RPM they will be showing the French GP "LIVE" on 10 HD this coming Sunday!!!!!! Maybe that $300 I spent on HD equipment wasn't totally lost!
Of course now I have the problem of watching F1 live and then watching MotoGP on delay on 10 rather than live on Fox. :

#229 Witt

Witt

• 3,306 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:04

Hey! Guess what?
Channel 10 just said on RPM they will be showing the French GP "LIVE" on 10 HD this coming Sunday!!!!!! Maybe that $300 I spent on HD equipment wasn't totally lost!
Of course now I have the problem of watching F1 live and then watching MotoGP on delay on 10 rather than live on Fox. :

i saw that too!

Here's hoping they keep their promise this time. The Catalunya GP was live last week on HD, so i've a good feeling about this one.

#230 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,112 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:19

Channel Ten is owned by some guy who lived in my building. Sorry about that.

#231 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:23

Has Channel 10 always put recorded coverage of the Japan and Australian races.

IIRC, 2000 Japan was delayed over in Aussie-land and that was the race MS clinched title no. #3.

#232 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:54

The 2000 Japanese Grand Prix was shown on Channel 9 at the time as channel 9 had the rights to F1, and no, it was shown live.

#233 Sith

Sith

• 1,307 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:11

Originally posted by kids like ash
The 2000 Japanese Grand Prix was shown on Channel 9 at the time as channel 9 had the rights to F1, and no, it was shown live.

I suggest you you go and check the facts 1st.. The only state that showed the 2000 Japanese Grand Prix LIVE was Ch.9 in Adelaide.. How do i know this.. Well i drove over there on the saturday after qualifying, that's when i found out.. The other states didn't want to risk it running into the news at 6pm, so it was delayed.. (Can still recall onn the drive back to melbourne pulling into get fuel at Horsham, and they were just starting the race on the t.v inside the servo..) This was the one time that being half an hour behind came to something good.

#234 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:01

Well mate im sorry to burst your little bubble but i live on the gold coast, and the race was shown live here because i had the live timing going at the same time, so i think its you who needs to get your facts right. There is Ch 9 and NBN here, they are the same thing, and they showed the race live.

#235 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

• 1,227 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:38

Didn't know it was live on Gold Coast, but sure as hell we didn't get it live here in Sydney. Curiosity got the better of me and I followed it on atlas comments.

Fortunately since then, great things like tvu take the pain out of those sorts of days.

#236 asterix

asterix

• 578 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:14

According to the ten website

Brisbane times are : 11.15pm for Ten and 9.40pm for HD

Don't know if this is live .... but it's better than sitting up all night.

#237 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:33

10pm race start is live, so gives them 20 minutes for there intro!

This will be the most criticed coverage I guess, lets hope its a big success!

#238 toyotaf1

toyotaf1

• 149 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:45

yer same for melbourne for the 9.40 start.... :yawn:

#239 nja

nja

• 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:30

anyone know if the HD will be live right thru - eg, we will lose laps during the ads?
Or will they effectively press pause during ads like the SD coverage.
I prefer the former as i like to watch with live timing

Advertisement

#240 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:01

Originally posted by nja
anyone know if the HD will be live right thru - eg, we will lose laps during the ads?
Or will they effectively press pause during ads like the SD coverage.
I prefer the former as i like to watch with live timing

at a guess it should be like the canada coverage

#241 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:47

Canberra, as usual, will get the HD demo I'd assume. It's bullshit - last time MotoGP was on, we got the first 2 minutes of the live coverage and then it was dropped and we went back to the HD demo. I don't understand why we can't get the race in HD when we get Rove in HD a few minutes before that.

#242 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 14:13

"TVU" on computer showed live FP2 tonite.
will check for tomorrow for tomorow night's guide. it
only went until 9am tomorrow morning.

#243 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:22

TVU showing qual live at 2200 AEST.

#244 Paul McLucas

Paul McLucas

• 121 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:16

Did Channel 10 show the France race live on Ten HD?
Looks like it was on at 9:30pm as opposed to 11:20 on SD. Is that correct?

#245 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:29

Yes correct, however, coverage was supposed to start originally at 9.40, then it was bumped to 9.50 but didnt actually start til 10pm as the cars were on the parade lap, no build up or quali highlights, no bullshit channel ten rusty mconville useless chit chat, just straight into the race, and thats the way it should be. did a good job too i rekon, if only they'd do this on a regular basis, we will have to wait and see.

#246 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:25

30 min delay in NT/SA ... did WA get it live?

#247 Jaguar

Jaguar

• 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:11

Of course not kamix. N10 apply 1 timezone across Aust when there are 3, so if its 2150 start for EST viewers its 2150 for WST.

2 hour delay for WST, better than the 3.5 hour delay BS. Still HD live (or not live for us WST) was good enough. Shame the delayed SD telecast was a simulcast of the HD.

#248 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:37

Finally it turned out to be almost perfect. Straight into the warm-up lap and the race, no BS. Webber scored points. Then over to Foxtel to watch MotoGP live with Stoner dominating.

For those of us who have bagged Channel 10 for screwing us around, maybe if we give them some words of thanks they may do F1 live on HD all the time?

(Optimistic I know, but its always better to be nice. Karma and all that :up: )

#249 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,237 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:45

Finally it turned out to be almost perfect. Straight into the warm-up lap and the race, no BS. Webber scored points. Then over to Foxtel to watch MotoGP live with Stoner dominating.

For those of us who have bagged Channel 10 for screwing us around, maybe if we give them some words of thanks they may do F1 live on HD all the time?

:up:

I couldn't watch it live. :cry: :lol: I think our free to air followed the race with MotoGP, and good day for Stoner. I had to watch it delayed on the standard reception.

#250 WigF1

WigF1

• 63 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 23:04

It only turned out to be almost perfect because Rove / BB ran late as usual and they didn't have time for the normal crap they normally force upon us...