Thoughts on Lewis Hamilton after Melb GP

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#1 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:55

The muzzinho returns,

Ive kept my mouth shut on these forums for quite a while but i feel something needs to be said about hamilton. The way hes justed sailed into a mclaren drive and into the best car of the last two seasons pisses me off. Most other drivers suffer for years waiting for a drive of the calibre of a mclaren (webber, heidfeld and others) while this guy gets his ass plonked into a championship capable mclaren, instead of a crappy old minardi or jordan or whatever the hell they want to be called. and i dont think hes that good, give webber or heidfeld that mclaren i garuantee you he wins you that championship, while hamilton totally stuffs his chances last year as well as alonso's with all the piss poor timing of an english batsman. Get this guy out of mclaren and into a super aguri where he belongs. After all its how u perform in a crappy car that really shows what sort of driver u are. eg senna in a toleman. Any old hack can be given a front running car and win races (eddie irvine anyone). hes had it really easy and id like to see him given a lower car so i can see that smirk wiped off his face.
PS did anyone see how he pushed heidfeld of the top step of the podium after the pictures, (what a tool)

safe

Advertisement

#2 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:57

Good point with interesting phrasing.

But JVi also had the same advantage...

Fisichella, Ralf, Trulli etc would have preffered to enter F1 with Ferrari or McLaren some ten years ago if they could of, would they not?

And not 3 years ago McLaren was only the 5th best team!

Piquet drives for team that won title just 2 years ago, what is the difference between Hamilton and Piquet's entry - both teams have challenged for titles recently, just 4 years ago the two teams in fact raced each other!? The performance of F1 teams cannot be predicted in advance.

#3 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,219 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:58

not again....

#4 Romulus

Romulus

• 1,813 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:00

Originally posted by Muzzinho

PS did anyone see how he pushed heidfeld of the top step of the podium after the pictures, (what a tool)

safe

Yeah I thought that was a bit unfriendly. It was quite hard as well. :rolleyes:

#5 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:00

people like you piss me off. this guy has taken a maximum of two attempts to win every single series he has been involved in. if he was ****, and it was just the mclaren car that was fast, then why on earth didnt alonso bag the title schumi-style before the season finale? he's clearly bloody good. might never live up to the 'next schumacher' hype which has mainly been the work of shitty tabloids, but he deserves to be in that mclaren, without a doubt.

#6 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:14

V8 Fireworks,

Yes Fisi, Trulli probly wuld have liked to be in a mclaren or ferarri when they were rookies, name me a driver who wuldnt!!. But the point is they were never given that chance........ why because they were rookies for christ sake. JVi was different because he was already a proven champ when he joined williams. My problem is not that he got a mclaren drive in his rookie year but the man has just lucked into driving the best car while other drivers go for years without getting that chance and probably are much more deserving of it

Difference between Hamilton and Piquet's entry?
Hamilton drove for a race winning mclaren and pique is driving a dog of a renault.

safe

#7 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:15

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks
Good point with interesting phrasing.

But JVi also had the same advantage...

Fisichella, Ralf, Trulli etc would have preffered to enter F1 with Ferrari or McLaren some ten years ago if they could of, would they not?

And not 3 years ago McLaren was only the 5th best team!

Piquet drives for team that won title just 2 years ago, what is the difference between Hamilton and Piquet's entry - both teams have challenged for titles recently, just 4 years ago the two teams in fact raced each other!? The performance of F1 teams cannot be predicted in advance.

5th best team only three years ago? In 2005 they had the fastest car but were hampered by woeful reliability! Ferrari were nowhere 3 years ago, remember?

#8 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:20

Hamilton drove for a race winning mclaren and pique is driving a dog of a renault.

That is nowhere near the only difference. I rate Piquet Jnr but he was simply dreadful this weekend. The Renault was not bad enough to be qualified in 21st place.

#9 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:23

Why should he have to start off in a poor car? Maybe we will see Ferrari bringing people up through the ranks and straight into F1 without having to compete in other cars as well? This might be the new way of doing things.

Basically you don't like him very much and would rather he worked at McDonalds, unfortunately though you have no power and say, so what you would "like" is completely irrelevant.

Regards

Andy

#10 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:27

Originally posted by AndyW35
Why should he have to start off in a poor car? Maybe we will see Ferrari bringing people up through the ranks and straight into F1 without having to compete in other cars as well? This might be the new way of doing things.

Basically you don't like him very much and would rather he worked at McDonalds, unfortunately though you have no power and say, so what you would "like" is completely irrelevant.

Regards

Andy

Absolutely agree, well said, in this life you make your luck, I personally, am ecstatic, that he is not flipping hamburgers!

#11 Two_Jags

Two_Jags

• 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:31

V8 Fireworks,

safe

That's got nothing to do with it.
Hamilton made his debut in the same car as Alonso & pretty much matched his time. Piquet made his debut in the same car as Alonso & was miles off his pace.

#12 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:31

Originally posted by AndyW35

Regards

Andy

nope not at all, I didnt ever have a problem with him until about halfway through last year when he started stuffing up alonsos chance of winning the championship. The guy has lucked into a race winning mclaren dude, thats my problem hes never had to earn his stripes with a lower team, and i think it will be really interesting to see if and when he ever does have to drive a dog of a car.My prediction.............hell fall apart cause hes used to having the best car and all the support.

Alonso started in a minardi
Shumacher in a jordan
Senna in a toleman
Raikonnen in a sauber

These guys all did the hard yards and got the race drives they deserved
As for hamilton..............

#13 Arn

Arn

• 1,721 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:35

There are many other series where you can prove yourself other than F1 and Hamilton has done exactly that. You cant say he doesnt deserve a top ride, he is definately something special. What he showed in his rookie season against the top current driver just confirmed it even more.

If you want to talk about rookies with undeserving top rides there are more obvious ones. Just have to look at the Williams drivers from the nineties. Hill, Coulthard and Villeneuve were not even half the talent Hamilton is and the Williams was even more dominant than the McLaren is nowadays.

#14 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:36

Originally posted by Two_Jags

That's got nothing to do with it.
Hamilton made his debut in the same car as Alonso & pretty much matched his time. Piquet made his debut in the same car as Alonso & was miles off his pace.

I was never comparing piquet to hamilton rather the cars they were driving. Are u seriously saying that this years renault was as good a car as last years mclaren.............

im not saying hes not a high class driver but hes come straight into a race winning seat whereas others have had to fight and fight hard for a good drive.

#15 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:40

nope not at all, I didnt ever have a problem with him until about halfway through last year when he started stuffing up alonsos chance of winning the championship. The guy has lucked into a race winning mclaren dude, thats my problem hes never had to earn his stripes with a lower team, and i think it will be really interesting to see if and when he ever does have to drive a dog of a car.My prediction.............hell fall apart cause hes used to having the best car and all the support.

Shumacher in a jordan
Senna in a toleman
Raikonnen in a sauber

These guys all did the hard yards and got the race drives they deserved
As for hamilton..............

Interestingly enough, while he takes all credit, nothing goes to Mercedes that drives him to the finish line. I am hoping he will be as "modest", should the engine, God forbid, had any trouble. How times change, when Mercedes took over crapy English outfit, and brought them to today's standard.

#16 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:42

Originally posted by Arn
If you want to talk about rookies with undeserving top rides there are more obvious ones. Just have to look at the Williams drivers from the nineties. Hill, Coulthard and Villeneuve were not even half the talent Hamilton is and the Williams was even more dominant than the McLaren is nowadays.

Damon Hill had a pretty good semi- rookie season alongside Alain Prost and should have been World Champion in 1994, Coulthard I can understand your point to an extent but Jacques Villeneuve was pretty much just shy of Hamilton's debut year in his 1996 rookie year so to say he wasn't even half the talent is a bit ridiculous. He also became World Champion in only his 2nd year, which Hamilton may very well do also.

I think Hamilton and Villeneuve are very similar in that regard, with Lewis the slightly more impressive for me thus far. The one major difference between the two will be Lewis staying with a top team for years whereas Jacques left that chance and started BAR in 1999. Lets not forget that to start in a car capable of winning the title is massive pressure from your very first race, you have to be massively talented to perform to such a high level consistently.

#17 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:43

Posted Image

#18 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:54

The muzzinho returns,

Ive kept my mouth shut on these forums for quite a while but i feel something needs to be said about hamilton. The way hes justed sailed into a mclaren drive and into the best car of the last two seasons pisses me off. Most other drivers suffer for years waiting for a drive of the calibre of a mclaren (webber, heidfeld and others) while this guy gets his ass plonked into a championship capable mclaren, instead of a crappy old minardi or jordan or whatever the hell they want to be called. and i dont think hes that good, give webber or heidfeld that mclaren i garuantee you he wins you that championship, while hamilton totally stuffs his chances last year as well as alonso's with all the piss poor timing of an english batsman. Get this guy out of mclaren and into a super aguri where he belongs. After all its how u perform in a crappy car that really shows what sort of driver u are. eg senna in a toleman. Any old hack can be given a front running car and win races (eddie irvine anyone). hes had it really easy and id like to see him given a lower car so i can see that smirk wiped off his face.

safe

You obviously hate the guy. But don't let that cloud your judgement on whether he's a good driver or not.

For a guy who came into one of the top teams in F1, withstood all the pressures to deliver performances that matched or were often better than his 2X WDC team mate, I'd say is a darn good driver. Composed and fast.

Nelsinho may not have the best car, but what he has not shown yet is that he can match Alonso. Lewis did in his first year.

#19 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:57

The thing I dont like about him is his arrogant smugness. There is a difference at being happy and being smug, and thats what he is, and it was very apparently today after he won, acting like he owned the paddock, I think he almost patted heiki and nick on the head. Plus there are all the arrogant things hes said in the past, me. Definately the most arrogant driver ive seen, and I guess that comes with being spoilt and being given everything on his plate all his life.

Advertisement

#20 Anomander

Anomander

• 535 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:57

Well for starters MS only had one start in a Jordan, the next race race was in a top car, so that was void
Two, Damon Hill did start in the ranks, he was first a test driver for Williams and the drove a really bad Brabham before getting a Williams full time drive

#21 Will

Will

• 3,321 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:58

Originally posted by MiPe
Interestingly enough, while he takes all credit, nothing goes to Mercedes that drives him to the finish line. I am hoping he will be as "modest", should the engine, God forbid, had any trouble. How times change, when Mercedes took over crapy English outfit, and brought them to today's standard.

That "crapy" English outfit that happened to have won world drivers and constructors championship in 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991 just a few seasons before changing to Mercedes?

#22 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:59

Originally posted by Durant
The thing I dont like about him is his arrogant smugness. There is a difference at being happy and being smug, and thats what he is, and it was very apparently today after he won, acting like he owned the paddock, I think he almost patted heiki and nick on the head. Plus there are all the arrogant things hes said in the past, me. Definately the most arrogant driver ive seen, and I guess that comes with being spoilt and being given everything on his plate all his life.

Well said and exactly my opinion. I never said the guy wasnt gifted but id like to see him do it tough for a season or two and see what he can make of it

#23 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:02

He's a warm, touchy feely guy. Something you obviously can't relate to.

#24 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:04

Originally posted by Anomander
Well for starters MS only had one start in a Jordan, the next race race was in a top car, so that was void
Two, Damon Hill did start in the ranks, he was first a test driver for Williams and the drove a really bad Brabham before getting a Williams full time drive

The 1992 benneton was hardly a championship winning car unlike the 2007 mclaren was it?

#25 Two_Jags

Two_Jags

• 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:10

Is it arrogance or supreme confidence? I dunno but either way I've seen the same thing from countless other drivers over the years - Senna wasn't exactly a shrinking violet you know - neither was Schumacher or Villeneuve or Montoya, etc etc. The list of 'humble' F1 winners wouldn't exactly be too long.

#26 Arn

Arn

• 1,721 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:11

Originally posted by former champ

Damon Hill had a pretty good rookie season alongside Alain Prost and should have been World Champion in 1994, Coulthard I can understand your point to an extent but Jacques Villeneuve was pretty much just shy of Hamilton's debut year in his 1996 rookie year so to say he wasn't even half the talent is a bit ridiculous. He also became World Champion in only his 2nd year, which Hamilton may very well do also.

I think Hamilton and Villeneuve are very similar in that regard, with Lewis the slightly more impressive for me thus far. The one major difference between the two will be Lewis staying with a top team for years whereas Jacques left that chance and started BAR in 1999. Lets not forget that to start in a car capable of winning the title is massive pressure from your very first race, you have to be massively talented to perform to such a high level consistently.

I disagree very much.

Hill didnt have an impressive rookie season at all against Prost. The Williams was 2 secs a lap faster than anything else on the grid and Prost was in the twilight of his career even back from a year off. Even so, Prost had Hill covered in a way Alonso could only dream of last year, and this is a Alonso in his prime years. Dont forget all the races where Hill made mistakes or was just off the pace but didnt matter anyway because of the big car advantage giving him an easy 2. place.

Coulthard ran Hill pretty close in his rookie season pace wise but made too many mistakes. He is even conviced he would have beaten Hill the following year given the opportunity but he choice to go to Mclaren.

As for Villeneuve, his 1996 season was far from Hamiltons 2007. He only had Hill as a teammate, remember Hill wasnt a champion at the time and was humiliated the year before by Schumacher in a lesser Benetton. Even the people at Williams didnt seem to rate him leading him to part ways at the end of his championship year. Still Villeneuve wasnt able to run him nearly as close as Hamilton did with Alonso.

The 3 drivers also didnt have to content with a competing team with roughly the same pace. Maybe except for 1995 where they got beaten by the one Benetton. This should also have made it easier and make them look better but didnt. There was still the gap to the established driver.

You can argue that the other drivers were settled in the team but i dont thinnk it counted for as much back than as it does now but anyway they were no where near the level of Alonso.

Ok, I admit that half the talent of... is badly formulated as it is something that cant be quatified but the point is still the same. They are not in Hamiltons league or Alonsos for that matter when it comes to talent.

#27 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:11

I don't like the guy but he is a first class talent. He got lucky to land into a race winning car off the bat, but let's face it, he'd be causing headlines if he was in a force india - he really is, sadly, that good.

It's just a shame he's a first class tool too though - the Heidfeld thing was simply not funny.

#28 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:15

If the car goes for a crap he will cry like a spoilt child as he does every time he does not get everything he wants handed to him on a silver platter.

Especially in the face of his monumental screw up in 07. Remember that if he is to do the choke back to back he must first be in front before the collapse can commence.

Hamilton is a completely insincere self absorbed egotistical prat. I wonder how well he can do without the best car in the field. We all saw how wrong he can get it with his 07 lack of performance in the best car will he manage any better with a lesser car?

#29 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:16

Originally posted by kar
I don't like the guy but he is a first class talent. He got lucky to land into a race winning car off the bat, but let's face it, he'd be causing headlines if he was in a force india - he really is, sadly, that good.

It's just a shame he's a first class tool too though - the Heidfeld thing was simply not funny.

Heidfeld thing ???

#30 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:18

Originally posted by Two_Jags

Is it arrogance or supreme confidence? I dunno but either way I've seen the same thing from countless other drivers over the years - Senna wasn't exactly a shrinking violet you know - neither was Schumacher or Villeneuve or Montoya, etc etc. The list of 'humble' F1 winners wouldn't exactly be too long.

Well said. :up: Interesting that of all of those you just mentioned, 2 (Senna, Schumacher) are absolute giants of Formula 1 history, one (Villeneuve) a World Champion, Indy 500 winner and IndyCar champion so great driver in his own right and the other (Montoya) a multiple F1 winner and former star of the category and also an Indy 500 winner and IndyCar champion.

Seems there is a trend there. Generally being arrogant translate to your performances on the track. There are exceptions but, from what I've seen, nice guys tend to get left behind. You have to be a bit of a bastard and do what's best for you, what gets you furthest in the game. Hamilton may be arrogant and/or super confident but he's on his way to becoming a future champion and who knows just what he may achieve.....

#31 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:24

Originally posted by Will

That "crapy" English outfit that happened to have won world drivers and constructors championship in 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991 just a few seasons before changing to Mercedes?

Good comment, and accurate.

McLaren also have a long and unbroken continuos record in F1 and 2nd only in race starts to Ferrari, they have won with power units such as Ford-Cosworth, Honda, TAG-Porsche and have been successful in F1, F2, CanAm and F5000 and Indy cars, dominant in some disciplines on the world stage, it is surely churlish to suggest that they are a "crappy" outfit.They have also won with a myriad of different power units, I get the feeling that McLaren could/would still win with another power unit.

#32 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:27

Originally posted by Arn
As for Villeneuve, his 1996 season was far from Hamiltons 2007. He only had Hill as a teammate, remember Hill wasnt a champion at the time and was humiliated the year before by Schumacher in a lesser Benetton. Even the people at Williams didnt seem to rate him leading him to part ways at the end of his championship year. Still Villeneuve wasnt able to run him nearly as close as Hamilton did with Alonso.

Ok, I admit that half the talent of... is badly formulated as it is something that cant be quatified but the point is still the same. They are not in Hamiltons league or Alonsos for that matter when it comes to talent.

Villeneuve took Hill to the last race of the year to fight for the Championship, so he did run Damon very close and Hill was established at Williams. It does count for something. You may have found a bit of a different scenario had Hamilton gone to Renault to team up with Fernando.....it does count in that aspect.

I don't disagree that Hamilton had the better debut year than JV but it isn't by much. You look at the races they each did, their stats also and there is little between them. Also there were 4 title contenders in 07 as opposed to 2 in 1996. So the points were shared around more whereas Jacques had to beat Damon and couldn't rely on anyone else doing it as no other team was in their league. Which scenario you think is easier? Much of the same really but JV was hardly in an easy place in that regard......also that's back in the day when there was 4 points between 1st and 2nd places.......

I suppose we have differing opinons of Damon Hill as a driver but I see JV and LH in a similar frame. You gotta cast your mind back to Jacques first half of his F1 career when he was a genuine star and one of the top 3. As I said, the main difference will be career choices of the two. Also Jacques took on a prime Schumacher in his 2nd year and came out on top. So while Hamilton dealt with Alonso and seems he can deal with them all now in his 2nd year, I rather think possibly having the fast improving Ferrari team in 1997 with a prime Michael Schumacher to contend with could be a harder prospect. Ok, Williams had the best car overall that year but it was an advantage which dwindled race by race while the others got stronger. It's an interesting comparison anyhow.

#33 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:28

I try to stear clear of personalities in racing, but in Hamiltons case, I find it very difficult to ignore the man. IMO he´s so very, "in your face", with an ego that suggests he sees himself very much as the centre of attraction. His unthinking action, directly before the spraying of the champagne, (when he pushed Rosberg and Nick off the top step) really summed this guys personality up for me. The words, insincere and egotistical, come to mind. I would go out of my way to avoid spending time with someone like him.

#34 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:34

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
The words, insincere and egotistical, come to mind. I would go out of my way to avoid spending time with someone like him.

That and he's got all the charisma of a dial-tone.

#35 Anomander

Anomander

• 535 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:38

Some people need to get over themselves, take a look in the mirror and find out they themselves are not perfect.
This just comes down to the fact he is a good driver in a rival team, if it was there own favourite driver they would not be saying anything.

#36 pRy

pRy

• 26,308 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:39

Formula One is about being in the right teams at the right time. It's not about driving a slower ranked team and then being promoted after "winning their stripes" in a slow car. Once the attention of a top team is caught by the driver, they're snapped up if they're seen as being good enough.

The difference with Hamilton is rather than wait for a team to spot him, he walked up to Ron Dennis at the age of 10 and told him he would win the title in one of his cars. Make no mistake, that is why Lewis is where he is today.

If you're sat there waiting for Webber to finally earn his stripes and be promoted to a McLaren or Ferrari, you're in for a very long wait. Infact, I'd stop waiting now.

#37 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:40

The fact that Hamilton from the start last year immeidiately were on the same pace as 2-time world champion Fernando Alonso indicates that he is surely worth a place in one of the best teams.

Whether that is luck, undeserved or whatever is irrelevant as I see it and I don't think it should piss of anyone.

If you get pissed off by an excellent F1 driver then it is more likely a personal issue you have with yourself more than anything else.

#38 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:41

Originally posted by sterling49

Good comment, and accurate.

McLaren also have a long and unbroken continuos record in F1 and 2nd only in race starts to Ferrari, they have won with power units such as Ford-Cosworth, Honda, TAG-Porsche and have been successful in F1, F2, CanAm and F5000 and Indy cars, dominant in some disciplines on the world stage, it is surely churlish to suggest that they are a "crappy" outfit.They have also won with a myriad of different power units, I get the feeling that McLaren could/would still win with another power unit.

They were also on brink of extinction before Mercedes got involved, and injected funds and a motor that allows you to be proud. Today without German money and motor at the back of the car they would be nowhere. Snotty kid who had luck to get the seat could at least remember that.

#39 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:44

Shumacher in a jordan
Senna in a toleman
Raikonnen in a sauber

How would these guys do if they were dropped straight into a top team I wander, would the immediately excel??

Advertisement

#40 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,802 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:44

You make your own luck. Hamilton has won in other series. What's the problem? Look what he did in GP2, for instance!
Such a stupid a question. Shows a lack of research.

#41 Anomander

Anomander

• 535 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:46

They were also on brink of extinction before Mercedes got involved, and injected funds and a motor that allows you to be proud. Today without German money and motor at the back of the car they would be nowhere. Snotty kid who had luck to get the seat could at least remember that.

Sorry, now your just making things up, they was no where nearing extinction, I have no idea where you have got that from, and without Mercedes, they would have picked up another engine deal, have no fear. Everything you are saying is just absurd

#42 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:47

So Ferrari had no cash injection from FIAT when they were on the point of extinction? Could not then be said without Italian money etc, etc, etc

And luck has F@@K all to do with Hamilton having his race drive, it was a well executed business plan with all the components in place (which means you have to have a driver who delivered)

#43 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:48

Originally posted by kar

:up: sums it up perfectly for me. I can't really stomach him or the sickening hype that follows him like a dirty fart....but he is a very talented driver, and he is going to be around for a while longer.

#44 F1 Engineer

F1 Engineer

• 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:49

Originally posted by kar

That and he's got all the charisma of a dial-tone.

I've met Lewis and I don't agree with that at all. I think he has great charisma and great talent and I'm happy to say that even though he's never driven for, nor likely ever will, for my team. :)

The same applies to Kimi, who comes across great in person and is actually very chatty (as opposed to his televised persona).

#45 cartman

cartman

• 341 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:49

This thread is pathetic.

When people can't say anything against someone's driving skill they begin personal attacks.

He's selfish

FFS! This is formula one, and this are racing drivers. Do you want to watch treehuggers race?

#46 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:51

Originally posted by zakeriath

And luck has F@@K all to do with Hamilton having his race drive, it was a well executed business plan with all the components in place (which means you have to have a driver who delivered)

Hamilton failed to deliver last year, perhaps The Golden Child's luck may change and he will not fail in the face of victory this time. :rolleyes:

#47 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:53

Originally posted by pRy

The difference with Hamilton is rather than wait for a team to spot him, he walked up to Ron Dennis at the age of 10 and told him he would win the title in one of his cars. Make no mistake, that is why Lewis is where he is today.

So by your standards every ten year old should be talking to ron dennis and then they are garaunteed a race drive ten years later? Lewis had no idea at the time the 2007 mclaren would be good or not. Therefore he lucked into a team at the right time, did he not? Did he deserve that oppurtunity? Not a chance in hell did he deserve it. Why should this kid be given that oppurtunity when virtuallu no other driver(at least current) ever get that chance?In my opinion performing in a lesser car shows that u are a better driver than one who can win in superior car. I would like to see Lewis in a midfield car and see if he handles it.
The real test of his career will be to see what happens to the guy if he ever drives a lesser car. Not the fact that he can win a couple of races in a superior mclaren

#48 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:57

Originally posted by Anomander
Some people need to get over themselves, take a look in the mirror and find out they themselves are not perfect.
This just comes down to the fact he is a good driver in a rival team, if it was there own favourite driver they would not be saying anything.

I can only speak for myself, but your comment, in my case anyway, is not correct. Firstly, we aren´t discussing our own personalities. They are irrelevant. The person in question is Hamilton.
Secondly, I don´t have a favourite team that I support, and this has nothing to do with his ability. You are confusing the issues. This is about his public image.
Now I am no tennis fan, but I really admire someone like Roger Federer, for example. He displays qualities I find admirable in people who are successful. Sincerity, humility, and respect for others, in particular, his opponents. He is a thoroughly decent sort. I´m afraid Hamilton lacks class, that´s all.

#49 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:00

Originally posted by Mika Mika

How would these guys do if they were dropped straight into a top team I wander, would the immediately excel??

Uh yes i think its pretty safe to say that given the same rookie car hamilton had that they would all excel in their first season.Come on man your are talking about senna and shumi now. But more impressive than that they all excelled in lesser cars which lewis has not yet and probably never will.

#50 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:01

A lot of people didn't Like Michael Schumacher or Senna. I'm totally unsurprised people don't like Lewis Hamilton.