Photo

SC manual

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abc

abc

• 2,878 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:00

After one year there is still confusion about SC phase, who profits and who is screwed? (see considerably misleading live thread) Therefore I try to clear thing up here a little bit and to sketch basic scenario how things can develop during SC. IMO there are two criteria which determine whether driver gains or looses positions: fuel situation and track position itself before SC. And I put +or- to show effect of SC in basic scenarios.

A) your driver track position and its influence

leading or close to leading the race: --
first third of the field: -
middle of the field: 0
last third of the field: +
hopelessly behind: ++

B) fuel situation and its influence

after pitstop: +
just about to do pitstop: -
fuel for some laps but pitstop is needed: --
fuel for 10-12 laps: 0

This is simplistic view of SC phase I admit, you can put together marks depending on track position and fuel load and you get basic idea if SC was in favour of your driver.
Thats it. If you are LH, you lead the race and you just made pitstop then SC means -+ (ie neutral situation) for you, you can still fully control the race.
Last SC situation was disaster for HK, it was typical --- situation for him and in this case you loose the race badly.

whats your opinion?

Advertisement

#2 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,050 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:02

Its a bit unfair that if a safety car is deployed and you need to pit for fuel you have to now take a penalty if you want to finish the race like happened to Rubens...

#3 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 13:39

Originally posted by Tenmantaylor
Its a bit unfair that if a safety car is deployed and you need to pit for fuel you have to now take a penalty if you want to finish the race like happened to Rubens...

It's just poor strategy to run with less than one lap of fuel in the car, other teams have realised this (for example Renault today) , Honda haven't,so much for Ross Brawn the strategy mastermind.

#4 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 14:22

Everyone runs it to the margin, I also think the rule is unfair.