Drivers being exposed and the inevitable rise of Hamilton

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:41

Bear with me here.

I thought last year was a little crazy driver wise, Kimi never really looked "fast" in the Ferrari, Alonso lost his mind and Massa was Massa.

Then there's Hamilton. I must admit to being a tad well, grumpy, that we have yet to see a few experienced drivers take a shot in a contending car (namely Heidfeld and Webber) whilst Hamilton walks into a CC contending car, Massa gets through based on who he knows and HK gets rewarded for mediocrity.

At the same time this Hamilton fellow irks me a tad, I thought his driving in Japan last year was dangerous and I can't put my finger on it but I just "don't like him" as pathetic as that sounds.

However, it's becoming abundantly clear he's the next great driver after Schumi. His ability to brake super late but not lock up is amazing, his qualy laps are fantastic and he's a great "racer". For the most part he keeps his head and he knows where to put his car, especially at the start. Kimi and Massa were badly exposed in melbourne, looked like amatures, whilst the race was easy for Hamilton the body of evidence over the last 19 races suggests he has something the others don't. Oh, and he's lucky, horse shoe shoved deep into his arse.

IMHO if he's in that Ferrari he wins the race (assuming it's reliable), you can't help but feel Ferrari are not getting th emost out of their car with two monotone drivers compared to the fuller package that Hamilton represents.

One last thing, it's also pretty clear that no TC suits him because he has such wonderful feel on the brakes and on the gas pedal, he senses the grip available better than both Ferrari pilots who are more "balls to the wall" drivers without having the same finesse. Or so it seems anyway.

Advertisement

#2 Chui

Chui

• 1,033 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:45

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#3 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:46

Originally posted by Alfisti
Bear with me here.

I thought last year was a little crazy driver wise, Kimi never really looked "fast" in the Ferrari, Alonso lost his mind and Massa was Massa.

Then there's Hamilton. I must admit to being a tad well, grumpy, that we have yet to see a few experienced drivers take a shot in a contending car (namely Heidfeld and Webber) whilst Hamilton walks into a CC contending car, Massa gets through based on who he knows and HK gets rewarded for mediocrity.

At the same time this Hamilton fellow irks me a tad, I thought his driving in Japan last year was dangerous and I can't put my finger on it but I just "don't like him" as pathetic as that sounds.

However, it's becoming abundantly clear he's the next great driver after Schumi. His ability to brake super late but not lock up is amazing, his qualy laps are fantastic and he's a great "racer". For the most part he keeps his head and he knows where to put his car, especially at the start. Kimi and Massa were badly exposed in melbourne, looked like amatures, whilst the race was easy for Hamilton the body of evidence over the last 19 races suggests he has something the others don't. Oh, and he's lucky, horse shoe shoved deep into his arse.

IMHO if he's in that Ferrari he wins the race (assuming it's reliable), you can't help but feel Ferrari are not getting th emost out of their car with two monotone drivers compared to the fuller package that Hamilton represents.

Lewis was very good no doubt but don't forget he had the best car.
Roseberg, Kubica, Nick, Alonso, Kova, if it was not for his failed battle with Alonso, Bourdais all had very good races also.

#4 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:50

Somebody has got to have the best car for heavens sake! :rolleyes: So who would you rather be in the best car?

#5 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:51

However, it's becoming abundantly clear he's the next great driver after Schumi.

Alonso was the next great driver after Schumacher, or doesnt the youngest ever WC/WCC in a Renault count suddenly? The same driver who matched Hamilton last year. Hamilton might be the next great driver after Alonso but you need to show some respect to Alonso.

#6 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:52

Great! another flamebait :down: there are existing hammy threads no need to make a new one.

#7 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:53

McLaren is not the best car. Lewis is just making it look like it is. The Ferrari is still competitive in pace but their drivers and reliability are not up to scratch.

#8 markf

markf

• 461 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:54

Bear with me here.

One last thing, it's also pretty clear that no TC suits him because he has such wonderful feel on the brakes and on the gas pedal, he senses the grip available better than both Ferrari pilots who are more "balls to the wall" drivers without having the same finesse. Or so it seems anyway.

Would you like some tissues?

#9 LeD

LeD

• 1,433 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:55

Good Lord - exactly how many threads does it take to adequately bash Lewis Hamilton (or any other driver for that matter)????????

#10 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:57

Originally posted by Domination
McLaren is not the best car. Lewis is just making it look like it is. The Ferrari is still competitive in pace but their drivers and reliability are not up to scratch.

So if you have one bad race you suck! even the great ayrton senna had blunders in his career so that means he sucked :)

#11 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:58

Originally posted by mursuka80
Great! another flamebait :down: there are existing hammy threads no need to make a new one.

Yup. And all of them initiated by quite frankly people that just hate him as a person. Sigh.

#12 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 15:59

mmm, lets see.. Mclaren is not the best car but is equally fast to Ferrari and does not break down as the Ferrari does.

what are you on? :lol:

#13 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:01

Originally posted by Fatgadget

Yup. And all of them initiated by quite frankly people that just hate him as a person. Sigh.

i dont hate him and thread starter certainly dont so whats your point

#14 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:07

His ability to brake super late

Pretty good expect I have heard/read from two different sources that Heikki brakes later, Hamilton has different kind of corner style.

#15 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:07

READ THE WHOLE POST.

It's a broad thread about drivers. We've have had posts complaining about bashing hamilton and others compaining I love him.

****ing kids on the BB.

#16 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:10

Seems like there's some idiots that know how to type but don't know how to read.

#17 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:16

Originally posted by mursuka80

i dont hate him and thread starter certainly dont so whats your point

What's this then from non other than the author of this post if not hatred of the person??

#18 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:19

What's this then from non other than the author of this post if not hatred of the person??

And the rest of the posts says how great he is behind the wheel. jesus how hard is it to read the whole post.

#19 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:22

Originally posted by Durant
Alonso was the next great driver after Schumacher, or doesnt the youngest ever WC/WCC in a Renault count suddenly? The same driver who matched Hamilton last year. Hamilton might be the next great driver after Alonso but you need to show some respect to Alonso.

Fair comment.

He's close, very close but there are multiple drivers champions and then the "select few" at the top of the tree. As in Clark/Fangio/Senna/Schumi and Alonso is not there yet IMHO. If I had to bet on it i'd suspect Hamilton may get there, somethign about him, from his body language to his race craft, he just screams superstar in every sense.

Meanwhile Alonso stays awake at night with baseball bat under his pillow, paranoia personified.

Advertisement

#20 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:29

Bear with me here.

I say there's a good case he's the best driver in f1 right now, but I don't describe him as the next Schumi, I think his racing skills and precision is more like Senna, Schumi is the guy who gets and finds time in the race through inlaps, that's one area Hamilton will never achieve, Schumacher was brilliant in the race, strategy wise, he had raw speed to find and dig deep time when he needed it. I think Hamilton skills wise is a replica of Senna, just very precise. Schumacher's cornering technique was something special and still is lol Senna admired it when he came into f1. Hamilton is the best precise driver I've seen for a while, whch makes him great in qualifying.

But then again, I've never seen Kimi have 2 strong seasons with a solid car back to back, Kimi's career hasn't had a consistency due to mclaren's mistakes, and Ferrari are not where they should be right now. Hamilton has had a consistent reliable Mclaren to this day, and we shouldn't defer Kimi in that regard, I thought Ferrari in 2007 and now have been all over the place, and we still don't know where they are.

There is still the case we need to see Hamilton under pressure and having bad days to see how he performs in them, those days will come, he's not Schumi in the team motivational sense, I think he plays it up pr wise, but he's more Senna, just the driver.

As for personality, well that's another story, I just wanted to comment on his driving skills, it's more Senna(very precise) then Schumacher(carry's more speed, scoops it in, and exits with a lively rear end-special)

But personality wise, Hamilton is no more interesting then Kimi, which is sad for f1, I think Senna's charisma is lacking in the field, and Schumacher's majestic energy and aura is lacking in f1, we don't have the men in f1 no more, but fast boys-ALonso=Hamilton.

Alonso matches Hamilton fairly good, I just wish the mclaren team battle continued to make more sense of their fights, one season was not enough of Alonso and Hamilton, and that's sad for the sport. Alonso should of stayed and tried to beat Hamilton at Mclaren before he left, I thought his ego had a point to prove, but Alonso will be happy just to get his 3rd title from Renault someday, which is what he wants, 3 titles to equal Senna, then he's out maybe to enjoy life.

#21 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:33

READ THE WHOLE POST.

It's a broad thread about drivers. We've have had posts complaining about bashing hamilton and others compaining I love him.

****ing kids on the BB.

Over the past year or so I often wonder when I'm on this BB if the majority of the the posters are kids or just adults with the mental intellect of a kid.

#22 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

It's easier to have a trouble free weekend and make it look easy when your out front and not under pressure. For example Lewis's drive today, Felipe's drive in Brazil etc etc

When your battling to overtake coming up through the pack, then inevitably there is always a risk that your going to make mistakes or misjudge the intentions of the driver you want to overtake. I'd be very interested to see how Lewis would have dealt with the issues thrown at Kimi for example.

Don't get me wrong I'm not picking fault with Lewis at all, he and McLaren had a superb weekend, but I'm kind of hoping to see a little bit more of how he deals with not being at the front all the time.

#23 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Fair comment.

He's close, very close but there are multiple drivers champions and then the "select few" at the top of the tree. As in Clark/Fangio/Senna/Schumi and Alonso is not there yet IMHO. If I had to bet on it i'd suspect Hamilton may get there, somethign about him, from his body language to his race craft, he just screams superstar in every sense.

Meanwhile Alonso stays awake at night with baseball bat under his pillow, paranoia personified.

Meanwhile Alonso wins WC's. Alonso might not be there because hes only 26, but If he hasnt done enough yet according to you, then Hamiltons got many years to go before he proves it. Seems like you have been reading too many peter windsor articles.

#24 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:34

And the rest of the posts says how great he is behind the wheel. jesus how hard is it to read the whole post.

Putting his driving aside. So what is it? Do you hate Hamilton as a person or don't you?

#25 crunchcrunch

crunchcrunch

• 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:34

Bear with me here.

Amen to that. :up:

#26 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:35

Originally posted by Chiara
It's easier to have a trouble free weekend and make it look easy when your out front and not under pressure. For example Lewis's drive today, Felipe's drive in Brazil etc etc

When your battling to overtake coming up through the pack, then inevitably there is always a risk that your going to make mistakes or misjudge the intentions of the driver you want to overtake. I'd be very interested to see how Lewis would have dealt with the issues thrown at Kimi for example.

Don't get me wrong I'm not picking fault with Lewis at all, he and McLaren had a superb weekend, but I'm kind of hoping to see a little bit more of how he deals with not being at the front all the time.

You've seen that couple of times last year though. Sure he didn't win the races, but he knows how to overtake and makes it stick the first time around.

#27 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:36

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Hamilton has different kind of corner style.

It would be nice to have an article someday detailing his driving style, because all I notice is he is very smooth with the steering wheel. Last year in the wet race it looked like he was turning the steering wheel in slow-motion (compared to other drivers).

#28 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:37

You've seen that couple of times last year though. Sure he didn't win the races, but he knows how to overtake and makes it stick the first time around.

So I'm just being greedy then? :p

I just enjoy watching that kind of battle I suppose. I'm just saying I'd like to see it some more, as I said I'm not picking fault with him. Some of my favourite drives by drivers have been ones where they have had to overcome some adversity.

#29 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:38

Originally posted by primer

It would be nice to have an article someday detailing his driving style, because all I notice is he is very smooth with the steering wheel. Last year in the wet race it looked like he was turning the steering wheel in slow-motion (compared to other drivers).

You will, but the problem is that it will be written by peter windsor which means he will conclude Hamiltons driving style came from god himself.

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,994 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:39

Little reminder for the doubters

He makes it dance.

#31 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:39

Originally posted by ensign14

He makes it dance.

lol @ piquet

#32 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:46

So I'm just being greedy then? :p

I just enjoy watching that kind of battle I suppose. I'm just saying I'd like to see it some more, as I said I'm not picking fault with him. Some of my favourite drives by drivers have been ones where they have had to overcome some adversity.

Lewis hasn't had many chances to come back from behind. It's only his 2nd year now remember. But you can't really blame him for taking the pole and winning it from. Can't expect him to deliberately slow down in qualifying just for the sake of it.

#33 Tigershark

Tigershark

• 996 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:48

Originally posted by ensign14

He makes it dance.

He is just lucky David Coulthard doesn't drive GP2. ;)

#34 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:53

WOW another great thread to help me update my ingnore list :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

#35 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:54

Originally posted by HoldenRT
Seems like there's some idiots that know how to type but don't know how to read.

Damn! That's Brilliant!

#36 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 16:59

His ability to brake super late but not lock up is amazing ...

Yes, it is astounding to watch. It was most visible in the way he took one of the tight left handers at Interlagos last year on his qualifying lap.

#37 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:02

Putting his driving aside. So what is it? Do you hate Hamilton as a person or don't you?

Hate is far too strong a word, but yeah he rubs me the wrong way for sure. Oddly enough though I don't mind seeing the kid win because he keeps performing.

#38 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:03

Bear with me here.

So "Hamilton knows where to put his car, especially in starts"? Perhaps you missed Kimi´s start and first lap? That was absolutely great start by Kimi, don´t know what Hamilton did in today´s start to impress you so much though?

Then his "quali laps are fantastic and he´s great `racer`", well, fuel corrected qual would put Kovalainen in his first GP with a team at least equal if not a bit better than LH. About "great racer" thingy, I thought Heikki´s pass on Alonso was more racy action than anything I have yet seen by Hamilton.

#39 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:05

Originally posted by yr
Then his "quali laps are fantastic and he´s great `racer`", well, fuel corrected qual would put Kovalainen in his first GP with a team at least equal if not a bit better than LH.

We don't know Hamilton's fuel load. He was pulled in early.

Advertisement

#40 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:06

Originally posted by yr

So "Hamilton knows where to put his car, especially in starts"? Perhaps you missed Kimi´s start and first lap? That was absolutely great start by Kimi, don´t know what Hamilton did in today´s start to impress you so much though?

Then his "quali laps are fantastic and he´s great `racer`", well, fuel corrected qual would put Kovalainen in his first GP with a team at least equal if not a bit better than LH. About "great racer" thingy, I thought Heikki´s pass on Alonso was more racy action than anything I have yet seen by Hamilton.

How can be on this board for 10 years and post such drivel, i'm not talking about one race.

#41 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:06

Hamilton indeed seems to have something different. His 2007 could not have ended any worse, months later he leads and wins from flag to flag as if nothing had ever happened to him.

#42 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:34

How can be on this board for 10 years and post such drivel, i'm not talking about one race.

I thought you were inspired by this race to wrote what you did. :D

A whole career was the base of your writings then? Well he has usually started from first two rows (in first row propably something like 50%) so his "knowing how to place his car, especially in starts" remains to be seen untill we have more material. Kovalainen being more racy in his first race for Mclaren still stands, I have yet to see better than that from LH, and quite frankly I do wonder where did you get that idea of LH being a "great racer". His qual laps might be great but I think that fuel corrected Kovalainen was at least as good in Australia and Alonso was also at least equal to him last year, so that gives me an impression of very good qualifier, but not an outstanding one.

#43 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,228 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:40

This thread has the potential to be a classic!

Lewis winning from pole in Melbourne 2008 = Kimi and Felipe struggle without TC.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em! :smoking:

#44 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,323 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:23

Actually I think Afisti's post and subsequent postings by people with myopia is really indicative of the lack of knowledge and analytical focus without being railroaded into another fanboy response.

Alfisti the feeling you have is the same feeling MS haters started with, although I am tipping you have more than enough brains not to submit to such triffle. It is amazing that one cannot pose a controversial (to some) topic without being attacked with venom. I thought your post was well written enough that people who can read and comprehend English would understand your intent. A post that hoped to address but not be apart of the fanboy syndrome. A post that related the same thoughts many others have had.

Durant since MS left racing Alonso lost, MS well and truly Alonso's match, with some die falling the right way MS could've left with 8 in order to achieve what you describe I would've liked to have seen him not self destruct as he did last year which compromised a WDC he should've won.

Hamilton has chased before, with some sucess and some errors, verdict he his human.

#45 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:35

Bear with me here.

Very well put and very accurate, well done. :up:

#46 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:36

Bear with me here.

Heh heh, put Nico, Seb (times two), Nick, Robert, Mark, or a few others in Lewis' car and they will win the race and fool people like you. Even if LH is their teammate. We had this same thing a decade ago with JV, people learnt nothing it seems.

#47 Will

Will

• 3,321 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:39

Originally posted by HSJ

Heh heh, put Nico, Seb (times two), Nick, Robert, Mark, or a few others in Lewis' car and they will win the race and fool people like you. Even if LH is their teammate. We had this same thing a decade ago with JV, people learnt nothing it seems.

But put any other team-mate (particularly rookie) against Alonso and they definitely won't equal him on points at the end of the season. How does that fit into your hypothesis?

#48 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:09

Excellent point, where was Lewis in Brazil? His true test will be races like Brazil, not walks in the park like today.

#49 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:20

This race didn't prove anything. Whatever your opinions of Hamilton, they should not have changed with a single race.

Let's see what happened from his point of view this GP:

He scored pole but not by a country mile. Nothing especially significant there.
He led the race with a rear guard of Kubica who held up everyone else behind him.
He led the race in either the fastest or equal fastest car on the grid.
He showed good pace but did not need to drive the car to its limit.

Let's face it, anyone half decent in his position would have won that race, it was his to lose if anything.

So how someone can form a new opinion of him based on this single race is beyond me.

#50 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:16

Originally posted by rolf123
This race didn't prove anything. Whatever your opinions of Hamilton, they should not have changed with a single race.

I agree with that, I think this race just re-inforced things though.

Someone above said Hekki was just as quick "fuel corrected", i am sorry but his race pace was so much slower that he needed to be one stopping to make it work .... and he clearly wasn't.

Hamilton will beat HK easily this year, as in finish in front of him (rightfully) 80% of the time when they both finish without incident. IMHO, this is exactly why HK was brought in.