Photo

Alonso this race addicted..

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 ForMules

ForMules

• 365 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:02

This guy amaze me, he's like a killer, his drive is unique, no one race like this, this is the best competitor in F1!

when you see him driving, you know why he did beat Shum and Kimi with a lesser car!

he was the best driver in melbourne for sure!

Advertisement

#2 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji

• 664 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:06

I dont know if he was the best driver in Melbourne, I dont like Alonso, but it was fun to watch him fighting that dog of a car.

He was all over the place. He looked like Nigel Mansell.

#3 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:09

fly like the wind! The ghost of Senna is on your shoulder...

#4 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:13

erm he had the best car and best tires in 2005 and 2006. :drunk:

#5 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:15

Originally posted by Georg_Kuyumji

That's just the eyebrows...

#6 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:16

Originally posted by Georg_Kuyumji
I dont know if he was the best driver in Melbourne, I dont like Alonso, but it was fun to watch him fighting that dog of a car.

I have to say I'm a bigger fan of Alonso for his wonderfully combative drive today than I ever was during his two title seasons.

He is going to be be tremendously good to watch this season.

#7 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:21

In 05, 06 I rooted for Alonso... I was really with him
In 07... I ended the season with total loss of respect for him
I hope that in 08 I can discover my admiration for him again.
Today he drove great, spicing up the midfield.

#8 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:24

Of cource he'll look better in the Renault that won't compete for a win
If he wanted a real challenge, he should of remained at Mclaren and challenged Hamilton until he won, that's my personal view.

But I'm glad he's still in f1, he's still a great driver, for our entertainment.

#9 osborn

osborn

• 133 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:28

Originally posted by SeanValen
If he wanted a real challenge, he should of remained at Mclaren and challenged Hamilton until he won, that's my personal view.

Don't think he really had a choice in that matter.

And congratulations on making a post that does not contain MS. :)

#10 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:32

Originally posted by ForMules
This guy amaze me, he's like a killer, his drive is unique, no one race like this, this is the best competitor in F1!

when you see him driving, you know why he did beat Shum and Kimi with a lesser car!

Hey perhaps a better driver than Alonso might do better than him in that car ? I rekon Hamilton would wipe the floor with him if he drove for Renault too he's all over the place driving really ragged. Everyone knows that's slower.

#11 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:42

He is already the class of the field in my opinion, in terms of racing talent + humanity. The rest are corporate whores/robots.

And now I hope he can do a Senna '92 and perform miracles in that dog of a car.

Could he win a race this year? I think the "po-ten-sial" exists, as he might say himself!

#12 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:52

Originally posted by MrAerodynamicist

That's just the eyebrows...

:rotfl:

#13 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,110 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:09

Originally posted by Juan Kerr
Hey perhaps a better driver than Alonso might do better than him in that car ? I rekon Hamilton would wipe the floor with him if he drove for Renault too he's all over the place driving really ragged. Everyone knows that's slower.

Apply for Flavio's job and hire a better driver. :)

#14 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:17

I liked HK overtaking him so easily, and give the position back so that FAs fans dont need to throw toys out of pram.

#15 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:28

Originally posted by SeanValen

I completely agree. Watching him driving in the midfield I was wondering why on earth he "gave up" his McLaren seat to Heikki.

I do think that there was choice for him at McLaren, but that would involve minding his own side of the garage and showing a bit more respect to the teams management, and facing a stronger Lewis Hamilton.

To me it still looks like he walked away from the challenge of LH (I know by saying so I will anger many fans... I really dont intend to)

I think Fernando is a top class driver and I think its a shame he didn't take up the LH challenge.

#16 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:43

I don't quite see the point of this thread, unless it is to attract fanboys to fight here instead of serious threads.

#17 nestor

nestor

• 412 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:05

Now , that is a really stupid post :rotfl: :rotfl: LOL

Don't forget to add that Lewis can walk on water and cure the blind too :rotfl:

#18 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:37

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
In 05, 06 I rooted for Alonso... I was really with him
In 07... I ended the season with total loss of respect for him
I hope that in 08 I can discover my admiration for him again.
Today he drove great, spicing up the midfield.

Could not agree more.
Been a fan of his since 2000 but in 2007 he lost a lot of respect.
Lets hope he can keep up his fighting spirit over the full season and not let stupid things get in the way of his driving.

/Viktor

#19 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:52

Originally posted by Viktor

Could not agree more.
Been a fan of his since 2000 but in 2007 he lost a lot of respect.
Lets hope he can keep up his fighting spirit over the full season and not let stupid things get in the way of his driving.

/Viktor

I'll third that sentiment. The guy behaved like a petulant child last year because he thought he would have an easy ride to championship number 3 - it's hardly Lewis's fault that he was better than FA anticipated.

Good drive today. Can hardly be considered great the way Heikki got by. No matter how good the car is you still lose a huge amount of performance following another car and HK owned him for that section of that lap - before making a massive cock-up of his own granted, but FA's drive was hardly the stuff of legend - an average run to a higher position than it deserved due to the unreliability of others nothing more.

Ben

Advertisement

#20 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:56

Originally posted by Craven Morehead
fly like the wind! The ghost of Senna is on your shoulder...

:lol:
A certain resemblance in posting style, I must admit.

#21 Kenaltgr

Kenaltgr

• 892 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:13

Alonso would have won driving the McLaren today, and no, I'm not a fan.

#22 giddyup409

giddyup409

• 2,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:43

great driver, great performance, fred (unfortunatly for some) always delivers
same ol' over here... the supporters of a certain chocker still can't get over the fact that fred is a brilliant driver.
tsk, tsk, tsk... how dare fred passes mclaren twice and ferrari with that renault delivery milk truck. shocking.

#23 qvn

qvn

• 765 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:08

Yeah, you forgot mentioning in 2007 he was beaten by a rookie in the same team.

I respect Alonso's driving but can't stand his fanboys.

#24 vlcc

vlcc

• 109 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:12

Originally posted by ruby soho
I don't quite see the point of this thread, unless it is to attract fanboys to fight here instead of serious threads.

then leave!

alonso today shone in a dogcar

it is the first time in many many years that the top driver is in a midfield car.
the fact that it coincides with the new - driver centric - rules will play to his advantage - i expect big performances this year from him

#25 giddyup409

giddyup409

• 2,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:27

Originally posted by qvn

CORRECTION: beaten by his own team in 2007

ron: "we weren’t racing kimi, we were basically racing fernando.â€

your beloved times link

#26 crunchcrunch

crunchcrunch

• 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:53

Originally posted by qvn

:up:

And Today, Bourdais was ahead of him with a torro rosso.

#27 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:55

Ahhhh Fernando the divine monobrow, where's that w*nk smiley when you need it.

#28 Lantern

Lantern

• 2,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:28

Originally posted by qvn

Although both did things in Oz to win me as a fan(lewis' joy with Nico and Fred's battle with Mac) I'm not the biggest fan of either.

So perhaps someone can explain how 109 points to 109 points is BEATEN?? :confused:

After the final point tallies it just gets into opinion. Whether win totals are most important...whether choking in the final two races is important. In the end the two guys had the same points. The only difference is one was and is in very good with the team and the other was uncomfortable with the team and the way they do business.

All 109-109 tells me is that the two need to square off in competitive cars again before anyone can claim a dang thing. :)

#29 brett_sequeira

brett_sequeira

• 2,807 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:38

I did like the way he drove today the car is obviously a dog to drive but he kept at it and picked up points. i respect him for that.

#30 jigc

jigc

• 170 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:51

FA pls help the team to improve the car and challenge the top field :mad:

#31 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:54

Im certainly no Alonso fan but he drove beautifully during the race. He was damn entertaining to watch too. His style is different and the lines he takes are different to alot of the drivers too.

But I also think we have to wait and see how good the car actually is and Piquet's dismal performance clouds a clear judgement on the matter.

Regardless, I do wish we get to see Lewis, Fernando and Kimi battling for wins and the championship in similarly paced and reliable cars!

#32 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:01

Originally posted by Lantern

Although both did things in Oz to win me as a fan(lewis' joy with Nico and Fred's battle with Mac) I'm not the biggest fan of either.

So perhaps someone can explain how 109 points to 109 points is BEATEN?? :confused:

After the final point tallies it just gets into opinion. Whether win totals are most important...whether choking in the final two races is important. In the end the two guys had the same points. The only difference is one was and is in very good with the team and the other was uncomfortable with the team and the way they do business.

All 109-109 tells me is that the two need to square off in competitive cars again before anyone can claim a dang thing. :)

:up:

... but a way to sensible outlook on things around here. Be assured that Lewis' fans will hang on for dear life on that 5th (or whatever minor place it was that made him second in the WDC table) for years to come.

#33 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:16

BTW - ForMules - what do you mean by the thread title? It doesnt make much sense and will need to be edited...

#34 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,817 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:00

If you look at his entire career most of his best/flashy drives were when he was the underdog. When you're car is so good your 15 secs in the lead it really doesn't demonstrate how good the driver is. But when the car is .2sec or in this case 1sec slower then 'Lonso really shines.

CC

#35 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:38

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck
If you look at his entire career most of his best/flashy drives were when he was the underdog. When you're car is so good your 15 secs in the lead it really doesn't demonstrate how good the driver is. But when the car is .2sec or in this case 1sec slower then 'Lonso really shines.

CC

The question with this obviously is how long will he be able to maintain his motivation if Renault doesn't improve? Before he was champion it must have been easier to keep motivated then it is now.

#36 Jason

Jason

• 4,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:40

Anyone here remember Sato's pass on Alonso last year? Keep in mind Sato's chassis was a year old at the time.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#37 Durant

Durant

• 694 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:01

I completely agree. Watching him driving in the midfield I was wondering why on earth he "gave up" his McLaren seat to Heikki.

I do think that there was choice for him at McLaren, but that would involve minding his own side of the garage and showing a bit more respect to the teams management, and facing a stronger Lewis Hamilton.

To me it still looks like he walked away from the challenge of LH (I know by saying so I will anger many fans... I really dont intend to)

I think Fernando is a top class driver and I think its a shame he didn't take up the LH challenge.

How do you know it was his choice?

#38 kayz

kayz

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:34

I always an Alonso supporter
I rooted for him since 2004
he is one great driver with excellence combination of consistency and fighting spirit
he definitely steal the show yesterday
with two overtaking maneuvers on Kimi-Heikki combines and Heikki on the last lap
that's just supeerbbb :clap: :clap: :clap:

#39 kayz

kayz

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:40

i do feel relief that he decided to got out from McL
he is really not himself there..
as much as I regret him not taking up LH challenge
i'm glad he's in renault today
taking another challenge improving cars

Advertisement

#40 Jason

Jason

• 4,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:44

Originally posted by kayz

The question is how long will he stay at Renault? He may decide to switch to Ferrari in 2009, should the opportunity arise.

#41 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,158 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:45

I need a bucket...

#42 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:45

Originally posted by Jason
Anyone here remember Sato's pass on Alonso last year? Keep in mind Sato's chassis was a year old at the time.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I sure do. If only he defended more vigorously he might have taken the 2007 WDC. I like how the Spanish commentators are like "no no no no". so much for unbiased commentary.

#43 Chui

Chui

• 1,033 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:02

I don't know if he's the best driver this weekend, but he has always impressed me as a driver and this weekend was no different. He is as fun to watch as LH but for different reasons: Hamster is very Prost-like in some respects - super smooth but with more comfort (?) sliding the car. Alonso reminds me of Mansell; Pit Bulldog behind the wheel; unyielding and intense. Makes for good TV.

#44 kayz

kayz

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:02

The question is how long will he stay at Renault? He may decide to switch to Ferrari in 2009, should the opportunity arise.

i probably will bet him staying in renault at least 2 years
uncle flav will learn the lesson not to let him go easily
and i doubt Ferrari will offer him a seat
though Jean Todt is no longer the team principal

in addition, alonso tends to shine in much inferior car
that's his quality
and i kinna get used to that :lol:

#45 Jason

Jason

• 4,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:27

i probably will bet him staying in renault at least 2 years
uncle flav will learn the lesson not to let him go easily
and i doubt Ferrari will offer him a seat
though Jean Todt is no longer the team principal

in addition, alonso tends to shine in much inferior car
that's his quality
and i kinna get used to that :lol:

If Alonso is smart, he'll stay at Renault. When Michael Schumacher joined Ferrari they weren't a top team, but he stayed there and help make them at top team. Alonso should do the same thing at Renault.

#46 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:34

Agree, it's for the better for everyone.
Another year in McLaren with Hamilton would really mess up his mental health.
I'm missing the teammate rivalry somewhat, but he seems focused and happy now.
It's great to watch him outperform his car, but it must be frustrating for him not being able to fight for championship.
I do want to see him in a Ferrari, Luca seems to rate him, it's not impossible.

#47 kayz

kayz

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:45

If Alonso is smart, he'll stay at Renault. When Michael Schumacher joined Ferrari they weren't a top team, but he stayed there and help make them at top team. Alonso should do the same thing at Renault.

supeerr agreee..
he might not a big contender for WDC this year
but he can make miracles, for one or twice in 2008
and grap the WDC next year and again and again
after all, its great to see him back in renault and surrounded by people who really care for you
and then help the team to top performance again
that's what i call a true champion

alonso-flav-pat symonds reminds me of schumi-todt-brawn
and if alonso really learn the lesson, he will stick to that pattern

#48 kayz

kayz

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:49

Originally posted by Arion

Agree, it's for the better for everyone.
Another year in McLaren with Hamilton would really mess up his mental health.
I'm missing the teammate rivalry somewhat, but he seems focused and happy now.
It's great to watch him outperform his car, but it must be frustrating for him not being able to fight for championship.
I do want to see him in a Ferrari, Luca seems to rate him, it's not impossible.

half a season is just enough to crack his mental health
plus a crazy 'daddy'
that's more that what he asked

#49 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:17

Let's look at the facts.

10 drivers started in front of Fred.

5 of them retired from the race putting him nett 6th

1 was given a stop go penalty dropping him out of contention. Alonso nett 5th.

1 was screwed by safety car, overtook Fred with ease, then made simple error letting Alonso inherit position on last lap. Nett 4th.

Actual finishing position 4th. Nett 4th.

Fastest lap. Lap 58. Seventh fastest.

Verdict :Cruise and collect. Untidy at times.

WTF makes people think this was a great drive? Meanwhile Bordais and Kimi both started behind him and should have finished in front of him with similar levels of reliability.

#50 arbillo

arbillo

• 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:32

Originally posted by airwise
Let's look at the facts.

10 drivers started in front of Fred.

5 of them retired from the race putting him nett 6th

1 was given a stop go penalty dropping him out of contention. Alonso nett 5th.

1 was screwed by safety car, overtook Fred with ease, then made simple error letting Alonso inherit position on last lap. Nett 4th.

Actual finishing position 4th. Nett 4th.

Fastest lap. Lap 58. Seventh fastest.

Verdict :Cruise and collect. Untidy at times.

WTF makes people think this was a great drive? Meanwhile Bordais and Kimi both started behind him and should have finished in front of him with similar levels of reliability.

:rotfl: cry baby cry :rotfl: