Photo

How does this work? KISS and Gene "Mr. IRL" Simmons plays at GP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:31

Just wondering if anyone has read any comments from Gene Simmons?

How did it come about that the head of IRL promotion was hired to play a gig at a GP? Market research by Simmons? It seems contradictory to both party's agendas. It didn't occur to FOM they've got a mole in their midst..?

This arrangement doesn't strike anyone as being "peculiar"?

/ Ecclestone should try to poach him, figure out how to market F1 in the U.S.
// If Simmons was smart (he is), he'd *want* to be poached to get in on the most potentially lucrative thing (U.S. marketing of F1) since KISS

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:45

It was supposedly all in the name of charity....Gene didn't make too many friends over here with his smrt-ass and downright grumpy answers to the usual dumb reporters questions that he must have heard a million times.

#3 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:27

i don't know, i saw the presser and the sunrise interview and he was pretty good talent both times.

the guy is ruled by / obsessed with money, that is what motivates him ... read into that what you will.

#4 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:37

Originally posted by Rubens Hakkamacher

How did it come about that the head of IRL promotion was hired to play a gig at a GP? Market research by Simmons? It seems contradictory to both party's agendas. It didn't occur to FOM they've got a mole in their midst..?

// If Simmons was smart (he is), he'd *want* to be poached to get in on the most potentially lucrative thing (U.S. marketing of F1) since KISS

It seems very peculiar to me anytime I see that anybody is still interested in anything to do with anything releted to KISS. How they still generate any kind of interest from anybody for anything blows my mind. Marketing geniuses they must be because musical geniuses they never were.

#5 Frank Booth

Frank Booth

• 796 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:45

Originally posted by Locai

It seems very peculiar to me anytime I see that anybody is still interested in anything to do with anything releted to KISS. How they still generate any kind of interest from anybody for anything blows my mind. Marketing geniuses they must be because musical geniuses they never were.

I think if we knew the average person that might be even remotely interested in this group we would see that they are pretty low in the food chain IMO. I don't think that the "real KISS" even played. Just a bunch of guys in clown makeup & a sound track

#6 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 15:14

Originally posted by repcobrabham

the guy is ruled by / obsessed with money, that is what motivates him ... read into that what you will.

Seems that FTG is a magnet for those types.
Hey, rube!

#7 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 18:06

I've heard that a KISS coffin makes an awesome beer cooler. If you order now you get a free tongue stretcher, an IRL shirt and a bottle of Paul Stanley's tears. :lol: Seriously, Gene's a capitalist pig with shoes who loves coin. So? :wave:

#8 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 22:00

IMHO his reality tv show isn't that bad ... nice intelligent kids, funny ex-centrefold GF who compensates for his philandering with shopping sprees.

but the oz F1 people couldn't have chosen a worse band: i can only guess it was to persuade the touring car bogans to hang around for the main event!

#9 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:44

He doesn't seem to have anything but a bad job for "Mindy". I hope they didn't pay him too much. I wouldn't think BE is at all worried by him.
The "new" IRL needs to find something a lot better, especially if he's upset the Aussies with his attitude. The IRL is going to the Gold Coast after all.

#10 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:15

Originally posted by Locai

I'm astonished that the FACT that Kiss started out as a money-making piss-take seems to have been almost completely buried deep in the sands of history.

And why is every band associated with GP's or F1 utter ****?

Every ****ing year they have the British GP Ball thing and every year ****ing Lionel Richie turns up to meander around for 20 mins and take home ten grand for the privilege.

Seriously it's a joke.

#11 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:59

Originally posted by Frank Booth

I don't think that the "real KISS" even played. Just a bunch of guys in clown makeup & a sound track

I can attest that they actually play their instruments -- badly. I am old enough to remember when they first came along. They were never considered good or hip among any crowd I knew of. It's all a mystery to me. I don't get it. It's like they hung around long enough to become a "classic rock" act without ever being a legitimate act in the first place. Weird.

#12 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:41

Originally posted by repcobrabham
IMHO his reality tv show isn't that bad ... nice intelligent kids, funny ex-centrefold GF who compensates for his philandering with shopping sprees.

but the oz F1 people couldn't have chosen a worse band: i can only guess it was to persuade the touring car bogans to hang around for the main event!

Im mid 40's. Kiss were HUGE when I was a teenager now think of the age group of people who might go to F1 who have money. Oh its mid 40's people.

#13 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:01

as embarrassing as it is to admit, kiss were huge in oz ... in the early '80s! *cringe*

so yes, middle-aged bogans who've grown fat and relatively wealthy on the long boom - i guess that's the buik of the supercabs / GP crowd.

disclaimer: i'm in my early 30s and liked devo as a child...

#14 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:16

Originally posted by Imperial

And why is every band associated with GP's or F1 utter ****?

George Harrison / Beatles?
Nick Mason / Pink Floyd?

#15 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:34

George Harrison / Beatles?
Nick Mason / Pink Floyd?

I'll concede yes to George Harrison and Nick Mason when they were actually members of their respective bands, but come on man....

George Harrison solo was as much of a joke as Paul McCartney is.

And Nick Mason. He's a drummer who cares!!