Photo

Luck

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 brett_sequeira

brett_sequeira

• 2,807 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 14:21

as we all can see Ferrari has had its bad luck race so far in Australia. Luck goes around. When do you think is it better to have bad luck at the start of the year a al Ferrari, or like Mcalren last year who seemed to have mroe bad luck towards the end of the season.

Advertisement

#2 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 14:34

It is beter to have bad luck start of year, Mr. Sequeira. :)

#3 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 14:38

Does it really matter? At the end of the day all races have the same points on offer so it makes no difference if you retire at the first race or the last race you still lose 10 points (for the frontrunners anyway).

Although from a fans point of view i prefer to get the bad luck out of the way asap if even it does make getting up at 4.30 a total waste of time :mad:

#4 Frank Booth

Frank Booth

• 796 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 14:40

I would say it's better to have good luck than bad luck.

#5 3Sword

3Sword

• 178 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 17:37

**** can happen. It has nothing to do with luck.
And according to the law of averages.
It evens out on the long run.

Luck is just a four letter word...

#6 blackgerby

blackgerby

• 555 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 17:50

Originally posted by 3Sword
**** can happen. It has nothing to do with luck.
And according to the law of averages.
It evens out on the long run .

Not sure Mark Webber would agree with this :)

#7 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:40

Originally posted by brett_sequeira
as we all can see Ferrari has had its bad luck race so far in Australia. Luck goes around. When do you think is it better to have bad luck at the start of the year a al Ferrari, or like Mcalren last year who seemed to have mroe bad luck towards the end of the season.

This is precision engineering you're talking about (or not as appears to be Ferrari's case!). Luck has nothing to do with it.

When a race car retires there's always a reason for it, and I have yet to hear someone from an F1 engine department (or any other dept) state they retired from a race due to bad luck.

#8 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,228 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:42

Luck is something you earn. Maybe not in F1 but in football. Ronaldo scored a lucky goal against Derby this weekend. That's luck and that's what win championships.

#9 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,650 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:47

Originally posted by Imperial
When a race car retires there's always a reason for it, and I have yet to hear someone from an F1 engine department (or any other dept) state they retired from a race due to bad luck.

Good point... but would you consider it to be Good Luck for a team when a competitor retires due to an engine (or other mechanical) failure?

#10 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:01

Originally posted by FrankB

Good point... but would you consider it to be Good Luck for a team when a competitor retires due to an engine (or other mechanical) failure?

Hmmm....let's call that the spoils of competition !

Seriously though, I bet there's not one of the top 5 teams who would prefer to beat a competitor solely on the competitor having car failures.

#11 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,650 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:19

Originally posted by Imperial

Seriously though, I bet there's not one of the top 5 teams who would prefer to beat a competitor solely on the competitor having car failures.

Probably so, but that wouldn't stop them being quietly pleased to see a rival trickling to a standstill at the far side of the track.

#12 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:31

I don't think there's luck - there's things you should have prevented or there's things caused by someone else that you could do nothing about.

#13 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:34

better tobe lucky than good ;)

personaly i think webber is cursed :lol:

#14 Frank Booth

Frank Booth

• 796 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:53

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,726 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:29

It's obviously better to have your bad luck early, as by the end of the season it will have been forgotten about, whereas having the bad luck late it then gets used endlessly to bash.

#16 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 13:01

When people say "you have to make your own luck" it doesn't make sense. Luck is chance is mathematical probability.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough races per year for the luck to always correct itself.

Ultimately, you can't do anything about luck, it's out of your control so better not to worry about it.

#17 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 347 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 14:11

Originally posted by rolf123
When people say "you have to make your own luck" it doesn't make sense. Luck is chance is mathematical probability.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough races per year for the luck to always correct itself.

Ultimately, you can't do anything about luck, it's out of your control so better not to worry about it.

Curiously all the outstanding drivers and teams seem to be "lucky" many times.

Over the years i have learned that hard work, focus and intelligence usually lead to have more "luck", which basically means that the best drivers and teams are luckier because they maximice the chances of getting a good result and work better than the rest.

Many times bad pilot´s and teams refers to bad luck as an excuse for a bad done job.

#18 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 955 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 17:46

Maybe it isn't luck, maybe it is karma coming back to bite them in the ass...

#19 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 20:02

The harder you prepare, the luckier you get...;)