Photo

Driver/Const points for "not classified" cars?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wingsbgone

wingsbgone

• 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 22:29

I don't recall the details, but a car/driver must complete some % of the race to be officially "classified" if I'm not mistaken (not talking about DQ's or the like). Anyone KNOW if points would still be awarded to drivers not "classified" as finishing the race? I.e. if Sebass & Kimi dropped out, say 10 laps earlier.

Advertisement

#2 turin

turin

• 3,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 22:49

Hmmm...Monaco 1996 springs to mind, where only 3 cars crossed the line. However, 7 cars were considered as classified.

that being said, the current regulations state that to be classified they need to complete 90% of the winner's number of laps (article 45.2) and the awards don't mention anything about classification (article 6.4).

I don't know which is the GP with least number of classified cars tho

#3 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 22:50

90%
if kimi and bourdais were out 10 laps to go the fia would keep the 2 and 1 point and converted it in large prawns to serve bernieĀ“s lunch. just for the sake of his savings.

#4 Cinquecento

Cinquecento

• 2,163 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:14

The interesting bit to me is that Kimi gets to keep his point and change his engine without a consequence. Bit of a loophole.

#5 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:37

You only have to go back to the 2005 US GP for the answer to the least amount of cars classified at the end of a GP.

Fourteen cars retired at the end of the parade lap. Only six cars completed the race distance and points were awarded to them. Nobody was awarded points for 7th or 8th position as nobody else completed at least 90% of the race distance.

#6 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:39

Originally posted by lukywill
90%
if kimi and bourdais were out 10 laps to go the fia would keep the 2 and 1 point and converted it in large prawns to serve bernieĀ“s lunch. just for the sake of his savings.

lmao brilliant and of course completely correct too. its safe to assume that if there's less than 8 classifiable cars the points, and therefore associated prize money, isn't handed out.

ty Imperial, perfect example :up:

#7 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:39

'The interesting bit to me is that Kimi gets to keep his point and change his engine without a consequence. Bit of a loophole.'

nope,as every driver gets 1 free engine change without penalty

#8 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• 306 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:41

Fewest actual finishers was Monaco 1996 (3, 7 classified) and fewest classified finishers was Monaco 1966 (4, all finished)

Originally posted by stevvy1986
'The interesting bit to me is that Kimi gets to keep his point and change his engine without a consequence. Bit of a loophole.'

No, because Kimi retired he still has his free engine change.

#9 Cinquecento

Cinquecento

• 2,163 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 13:20

That's what I'm hearing too.

#10 turin

turin

• 3,177 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 20:22

Originally posted by Imperial
You only have to go back to the 2005 US GP for the answer to the least amount of cars classified at the end of a GP.

Fourteen cars retired at the end of the parade lap. Only six cars completed the race distance and points were awarded to them. Nobody was awarded points for 7th or 8th position as nobody else completed at least 90% of the race distance.

but I think those cars were awarded a DNS, which is different to a DNF

#11 Victor

Victor

• 1,006 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 23:02

Originally posted by stevvy1986

Yes, but Kimi doesn't need to spend his free engine change now.

#12 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 23:14

Originally posted by Cinquecento
The interesting bit to me is that Kimi gets to keep his point and change his engine without a consequence. Bit of a loophole.

It's not a loophole at all. Its nicely avoided double penalty. Like if it was not enough he couldnt make it to finish and fight higher positions, he would also get an engine penalty.

His next engine will be a 2 race engine so there is no advantage gained.