Photo

What if Senna had survived his Imola accident ? I'm writing a book on the 1994 season

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 13:24

What if Ayrton Senna had survived his crash at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix? How would he have faired against Michael Schumacher in the Benetton-Ford? What might have happened in the seasons that followed?

All very interesing questions which have been discussed at length on this and other forums over the years. But no-one has come up with the answers. Yet. :cool:

I have been working on a story about the infamous season in Formula One. A what-if story in which Senna is not killed at Imola, returns to the wheel of his Williams-Renault, and takes on Michael Schumacher for the World Championship.

I'd be interested in anyone's view on this alternative history, although I might already have read some of your thought in the various threads on TNF. And I'd like to hear your opinions on the prologue I've put up on my site, too.

Read more about my (e-)book on www.encounterdownunder.com senna-versus-schumacher.com.

Edited by lustigson, 02 May 2014 - 11:21.

Advertisement

#2 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 14:32

I think he would have lost to Schumacher that season but eventually would have become world champion again within the following 2 seasons however I had a conversation with Sid Taylor some years ago and Sid was closer to Ayrton than people thought and Sid told me Ayrton would for some unknown reason (like Mansell ) desired to have a good go at Indy cars.

Rodney Dodson.

#3 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 16:27

An interesting speculative offshoot is whether Schumacher leaves Benetton for Ferrari as early as 1996.

Having accomplished two championships on his resume, and the presence of a weak field that didn't include a single other WDC save for Mansell's cameos, must have made it considerably easier to risk a year or two developing Ferrari into a contender. If he had been locked in mortal combat with Senna for most of 1994 and 1995 it would have been harder to step out of a competitive Renault powered car.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 18:46

...or both of them would have resorted to pushing one another off the circuit to such an extent that Damon Hill won the title anyway.

#5 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 18:48

Originally posted by John B
An interesting speculative offshoot is whether Schumacher leaves Benetton for Ferrari as early as 1996.

Having accomplished two championships on his resume, and the presence of a weak field that didn't include a single other WDC save for Mansell's cameos, must have made it considerably easier to risk a year or two developing Ferrari into a contender. If he had been locked in mortal combat with Senna for most of 1994 and 1995 it would have been harder to step out of a competitive Renault powered car.

Schumacher signed a three-year Benetton contract late 1993. Having won a single WDC in either '94 or '95, and a logical swith for Senna to Ferrari, IMHO, would've probably made Schumacher decide on staying with Benetton another season. Perhaps he would have accompanied Häkkinen at McLaren from 1997.

#6 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 19:50

I like the Hill thought.

#7 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 20:15

Originally posted by lustigson
All very interesing questions which have been discussed at length on this and other forums over the years. But no-one has come up with the answers. Yet. :cool:[/URL].

"But no-one has come up with the answers."

For goodness sake, what absolute nonsense. :rolleyes:

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 21:06

Originally posted by rdmotorsport
I like the Hill thought.

Seconded! :up:

#9 Seebar

Seebar

• 151 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 22:19

I think someone on this forum wrote he was looking for a 1994 season preview which hadn't been influenced by the events at Imola, i.e. one that had been published before the Brazilian GP.

What struck me on your site was "Senna and Schumacher renew their rivalry for the 1994 F1 title." Did people already have the impression that there was going to be a battle for the title? I seem to remember that Schumacher's Brazilian win was mainly attributed to a better pitstop and a driving error from Senna, who obviously hadn't really come to terms with the FW 16's handling yet.

Might be completely wrong on this one, but I don't think a lot of people thought - pre-Imola - Schumacher was going to be a genuine championship contender. Even at 20-0 up, he was seen as someone who could score the odd win here and there (a bit better than in the previous years), but not as a serious chamionship contender. I seem to remember the general opinion in F1 was that once Senna had the Williams sorted out, it would outrun the Benetton-Ford like it had done in '92 and '93.

#10 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 22:23

Originally posted by Seebär
I think someone on this forum wrote he was looking for a 1994 season preview

Yes,makes me wonder why I bothered scanning the 8 pages

#11 ovfi

ovfi

• 184 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 23:35

Slightly OT, but this thread remembered me about Donnington 1993, the most beautiful demonstration on the art of driving I've seen in my life...

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#12 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 23:49

I think someone on this forum wrote he was looking for a 1994 season preview which hadn't been influenced by the events at Imola, i.e. one that had been published before the Brazilian GP.

What struck me on your site was "Senna and Schumacher renew their rivalry for the 1994 F1 title." Did people already have the impression that there was going to be a battle for the title? I seem to remember that Schumacher's Brazilian win was mainly attributed to a better pitstop and a driving error from Senna, who obviously hadn't really come to terms with the FW 16's handling yet.

Might be completely wrong on this one, but I don't think a lot of people thought - pre-Imola - Schumacher was going to be a genuine championship contender. Even at 20-0 up, he was seen as someone who could score the odd win here and there (a bit better than in the previous years), but not as a serious chamionship contender. I seem to remember the general opinion in F1 was that once Senna had the Williams sorted out, it would outrun the Benetton-Ford like it had done in '92 and '93.

If I remember, I think Senna was beaten fair and square by Schui in Brazil. Schumacher was just plain faster. Senna kept pushing hard and spun, but was not likely to catch Schui.

I think the general consensus was that Senna might take a few races to settle in with Williams and the car and during this time others might, notably Schui, gain a points advantage, but I think many were shocked at how competative the Benetton suddenly was. I had the feeling at the time that Senna, instead of thinking of the Championship and settleing for second or third suddenly HAD to beat Schui. I believe he'd suddenly realised what a challenge he had from benetton and Schui and that trigger in his head that made him so overwhelmingly competative kept telling him, "youve got to beat this guy". I think that became the priority.
After a little help from Schui and the FIA Hill nearly won the title, however I'm not sure Senna would have managed to overhaul Michael had it remained a "normal" season. It would have been wonderful to find out.

#13 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:50

That was me. :cool:

Originally posted by macoran
Yes,makes me wonder why I bothered scanning the 8 pages

I'd very much like to have those 8 pages, if you still have them. :)

What struck me on your site was "Senna and Schumacher renew their rivalry for the 1994 F1 title." Did people already have the impression that there was going to be a battle for the title?

That's a bit out of context, since the 'renew' bit is part of a post on the Pacific GP: "This race sees the Grand Prix circus on a new track, the TI Circuit in Aida, Japan. Senna and Schumacher renew their rivalry for the 1994 F1 title."

Might be completely wrong on this one, but I don't think a lot of people thought - pre-Imola - Schumacher was going to be a genuine championship contender.

That's why I was looking for a season preview unbiased by the Imola events. Eventually I found one by John Watson, who stated: "Benetton-Ford offer the most immediate challenge to Williams, and Michael Schumacher may well prove an albatross to Ayrton Senna. Mile-high confidence and commitment equals speed and the new Ford Zetec R engine is already faster than last year's six GP-winning unit."

#14 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:20

Hi Lustigson,

Nice initiative. I guess this is one of the major 'What-Ifs' of the last racing century. Still if I look at it I can only come to one conclusion: Hill's performances indicate that Williams was in splendid form that year. OK, MS was banned, still Damon really was a champion that year, and should have been.
I can only imagine that if Ayrton had been given the chance he would no doubt have come to grips with the team and the car in order to make a perfect row of results that year to beat both Michael and Damon.

I don't believe he would have left mid-season for indycars. He would have left, after winning the title, at the end of season for sure.

#15 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:26

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Nice initiative. I guess this is one of the major 'What-Ifs' of the last racing century. Still if I look at it I can only come to one conclusion: Hill's performances indicate that Williams was in splendid form that year. OK, MS was banned, still Damon really was a champion that year, and should have been. I can only imagine that if Ayrton had been given the chance he would no doubt have come to grips with the team and the car in order to make a perfect row of results that year to beat both Michael and Damon.

Thanks! :) I find it one of the most intrigueing points of the mid-90s, too, together with a possible post-1995 view of Senna in a Ferrari, and Schumacher opting for McLaren-Mercedes.

#16 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:42

Actually, it was the nadir of a century of motor racing and the main reasoin why these days I limit myself to the years 1894 - 1993! I only watched F1 for a few more years because I liked that Damon bloke... :) :cool:

#17 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:05

If I may put forward a fairly radical opinion....

I liked Damon Hill; (that's not the radical bit) but I would have to say that he was not, in any way, near Ayrton Senna in ability.

The fact that Damon very nearly won the title (or did, if you like) tends to make me think that in 1994 at least, Schumacher wouldn't have seen which way Senna went, once the Brazilian had fully settled in at Williams.

Just a thought.

#18 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:41

Barry has it pretty much right I reckon.

The pre-season talk that year was of a Senna walkover in a dominant Williams. Shumacher getting off to a flying start was considered a blessing as it would prevent the season being a one horse race like the previous couple of years. Pretty much everyone expected Senna to dominate the latter half of the season when he and the car were at one.

#19 ShiftyDriver

ShiftyDriver

• 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:36

But in the first 3 races Schu had esablished a bigger lead over Senna than he had over Hill. Hill had a little help form the FIA and Schu being a numpty. I think Senna would have been stronger in the second half of the year, but I'm not sure he would have overhauled Schu.

Advertisement

#20 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:40

If we're going to start writing fictional reviews of 1994, consider this.

If we accept Senna's accident as a random failure (cold tyres, steering weld failure, whatever....), it could just as easily have happened to any other driver in the field. Therefore, what if it had been Schumacher instead of Senna who had the fatal meeting with the wall in Imola. How different would F1 have been in the subsequent 10 years with Senna and without Schumacher ?

#21 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 868 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:46

If Senna had raced throughout 1994 I wonder if Benetton would have gotten away with the results of the FIA's investigation of the B194's software. I always thought that the last thing the FIA needed post-Imola was disqualifying Benetton and/or Schumacher and thus confirming that, dramatically put, Senna had died whilst trying to stay ahead of an illegal car. Senna voiced his concerns about the legality of Schumacher's car more than once and ultimately would surely have pushed like hell for the car being investigated whether he would have won at Imola or not. Also, Niki Lauda (who worked for Ferrari at the time and would later play an instrumental role in persuading Schumacher to come to Maranello) is one of the people who claims that Ayrton Senna was likely to have ended up at Ferrari (Lauda made him an offer before Senna decided to join Williams) and one can easily speculate about Senna - if he had not retired in the meantime - signing for Ferrari after the 1995 season, had he won the world title with Williams in 1994 and/or 1995.

#22 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:09

Originally posted by ShiftyDriver
But in the first 3 races Schu had esablished a bigger lead over Senna than he had over Hill. Hill had a little help form the FIA and Schu being a numpty. I think Senna would have been stronger in the second half of the year, but I'm not sure he would have overhauled Schu.

Good points. Hill did score 7 points in the first 3 races to Senna's zero (even in my fictional story, BTW).

Originally posted by Formula Once
Niki Lauda (who worked for Ferrari at the time and would later play an instrumental role in persuading Schumacher to come to Maranello) is one of the people who claims that Ayrton Senna was likely to have ended up at Ferrari (Lauda made him an offer before Senna decided to join Williams) and one can easily speculate about Senna - if he had not retired in the meantime - signing for Ferrari after the 1995 season, had he won the world title with Williams in 1994 and/or 1995.

My thoughts exactly: Senna wins at least one title with Williams and then joins the Scuderia for his final few years in F1.

#23 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 14:41

I really am too old to get drawn into this sort of thing but...

1) Impact on Mansell/Coulthard?
2) Impact on Renault/Ford at Benetton?

#24 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 16:16

In the aftermath of the 'accident', I've always wondered what impact did the technical changes to the cars and, to some extent, some of the tracks affect the outcome of the championship that year?

#25 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 17:44

Originally posted by Jager
Therefore, what if it had been Schumacher instead of Senna who had the fatal meeting with the wall in Imola. How different would F1 have been in the subsequent 10 years with Senna and without Schumacher ?

As diferent as it would be if (I hate this word :mad: ) Clark, Rindt, Williamson, Bellof, etc. didn't die also...

Forgive my frontal opinion, but all this "if" threads are a bit unusefull to people like me who are more interested in what really happened in history....

OK, I know. So, why bothered to read this thread... :rolleyes:

#26 SpeakerGuru

SpeakerGuru

• 764 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 18:17

I can't help but wonder if everyone is being a bit unrealsitic about what the aftermath of the crash would have been like for Ayrton Senna. If Senna had survived, he would still have suffered some pretty serious injuries, in all likelihood - he did hit the wall a ton. To this day I can remember the live race commentary and the specualtion within minutes of the crash was whether or not this was going to be a career-ending crash for him, due to the violent and brutal impact. Permanent disabilty and/or head and brain injury were possible, if not even probable. To think he would have been in any condition to carry on within the next few races, let alone that season, is highly questionable. I think the '94 season would have ultimately ended up with the same results - Schumacher as WDC - and, in my opinion, Senna would never have been quite the same again.

#27 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 20:39

Originally posted by SpeakerGuru
If Senna had survived, he would still have suffered some pretty serious injuries…

I've always understood he was uninjured apart from the head injury caused by the right front suspension.

What his state of mind might have been like after that crash on that weekend, may well be a point to consider.

Richard

#28 weisler

weisler

• 36 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:43

What about the possibility of him returning to McLaren after a couple years at Williams? I remember reading somewhere (I can't recall where) that Ron Dennis always thought Senna would return.

#29 john aston

john aston

• 2,690 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:00

I really don't want to be unkind but I am at a complete loss to understand why anyone would want to read such a work ,let alone write it .I'm afraid changing history doesn't work neatly - change one thing and you trigger a gazillion consequences.What if Ron Dennis lost the power of speech - or Kimi Raikkonen gained it- would the world be prepared for the consequences.And what if Richard Robarts had proved to be a towering talent in the Brabham? Continues on page 97....

#30 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:19

Originally posted by Formula Once
If Senna had raced throughout 1994 I wonder if Benetton would have gotten away with the results of the FIA's investigation of the B194's software. I always thought that the last thing the FIA needed post-Imola was disqualifying Benetton and/or Schumacher and thus confirming that, dramatically put, Senna had died whilst trying to stay ahead of an illegal car. Senna voiced his concerns about the legality of Schumacher's car more than once and ultimately would surely have pushed like hell for the car being investigated whether he would have won at Imola or not. .

Agree with you completely - in fact the fact Benetton were cheating and carried on cheating is still to this day glossed over. Schumachers world championships are all tainted for me because the same team was behind his car design all the way through. Senna would have retired when he matched Fangio I think I have heard before as he didnt want to take the great mans record.

#31 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:21

Originally posted by swintex

I've always understood he was uninjured apart from the head injury caused by the right front suspension.

What his state of mind might have been like after that crash on that weekend, may well be a point to consider.

Richard

Berger only missed one race in 89 and that was because of burns rather than injury - and he hit the wall arguably as hard and with less protection.

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:56

I agree with that...

Senna would not have been knocked around badly at all had that wheel (and in particular the suspension component) not got him in the head.

I don't agree with the view, however, that it's pointless speculating on alternative outcomes. If we're able to dream, of course, we can always come up with a nicer conclusion to the season than the one that came about.

#33 roger_valentine

roger_valentine

• 208 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:14

Am I missing something here? Surely, in a work of fiction, the author is omnipotent. Anything you want to happen can happen. You don't have to ask your potential readers what they think should happen.

So, Senna survives the crash, but realises that motor racing is a bloody silly way to make a living, so he goes off to work for a charity helping orphans in Brazil.

Meanwhile, the British Secret Service have become increasing suspicious about the way that Max Mosley is behaving more and more like his father Oswald. They send their undercover agent (himself disguised as the son of a famous father, Graham Hill) to investigate. He uncovers a neo-nazi plot, in which a cyborg driver, Michael Schumacher, has been constructed using cloned dna from Rudolph Caracciola and Manfred Von Brauchitsch.

Schumacher is unbeatable, and wins 2 world championships, before Mosley sends him off restore the fortunes of the Ferrari team run by Luca di Mussolini. This leaves Secret Agent Hill dangerously exposed, and he almost blows his cover by accidentally winning the world championship himself, but the British government reign him in and send him off to drive for a succession of more obscure teams.

Schumacher goes on to win 5 more world championships for Ferrari, but this has all been a mere distraction to divert attention from the real plot, masterminded by Mosley and Mercedes Benz, to create a secret factory in Finland, churning out a further series of cyborg drivers. Agent Hill, now disguised in black face and calling himself Lewis Hamilton, uncovers this plot, and embarks on a dangerous and complicated mission to get Mercedes Benz disqualified from motor racing forever. But too late! One of the Finnish cyborgs switches to Ferrari and wins the world championship, threatening a further 1000 years of Ferrari domination.

But, Mosley has reckoned without Roland Ratzenberger, who for years has been hiding out in the Midland/Spyker/Force India teams. Suddenly and unexpectedly Ratzenberger buys a controlling interest in Torro Rosso, beats the Finnish cyborgs and becomes world champion.

Finally, Senna gets bored with charity work, returns to F1, and is killed in an accident at Imola in 2014.

#34 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:33

I'd very much like to have those 8 pages, if you still have them. :)

you have pm

#35 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:49

Originally posted by roger_valentine
Am I missing something here? Surely, in a work of fiction, the author is omnipotent. Anything you want to happen can happen. You don't have to ask your potential readers what they think should happen.

So, Senna survives the crash, but realises that motor racing is a bloody silly way to make a living, so he goes off to work for a charity helping orphans in Brazil.

Meanwhile, the British Secret Service have become increasing suspicious about the way that Max Mosley is behaving more and more like his father Oswald. They send their undercover agent (himself disguised as the son of a famous father, Graham Hill) to investigate. He uncovers a neo-nazi plot, in which a cyborg driver, Michael Schumacher, has been constructed using cloned dna from Rudolph Caracciola and Manfred Von Brauchitsch.

Schumacher is unbeatable, and wins 2 world championships, before Mosley sends him off restore the fortunes of the Ferrari team run by Luca di Mussolini. This leaves Secret Agent Hill dangerously exposed, and he almost blows his cover by accidentally winning the world championship himself, but the British government reign him in and send him off to drive for a succession of more obscure teams.

Schumacher goes on to win 5 more world championships for Ferrari, but this has all been a mere distraction to divert attention from the real plot, masterminded by Mosley and Mercedes Benz, to create a secret factory in Finland, churning out a further series of cyborg drivers. Agent Hill, now disguised in black face and calling himself Lewis Hamilton, uncovers this plot, and embarks on a dangerous and complicated mission to get Mercedes Benz disqualified from motor racing forever. But too late! One of the Finnish cyborgs switches to Ferrari and wins the world championship, threatening a further 1000 years of Ferrari domination.

But, Mosley has reckoned without Roland Ratzenberger, who for years has been hiding out in the Midland/Spyker/Force India teams. Suddenly and unexpectedly Ratzenberger buys a controlling interest in Torro Rosso, beats the Finnish cyborgs and becomes world champion.

Finally, Senna gets bored with charity work, returns to F1, and is killed in an accident at Imola in 2014.

I guess theres an alternative universe where this happens? Very inventive btw, enjoyable!

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 19:31

If Senna hadn't been killed, would Mansell have stayed in CART? And for how long? And would he have been joined the next season by Senna? If so, what implications would that have had for the impending OW schism?

#37 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:53

Originally posted by weisler
What about the possibility of him returning to McLaren after a couple years at Williams? I remember reading somewhere (I can't recall where) that Ron Dennis always thought Senna would return.

Isn't Senna on record as having said he wanted to end his career at Ferrari?

If you thought Marlboro Team Schumi was a bit dedicated to pushing the boundaries of the possible/credible in terms of application of the rules, imagine Marlboro Team Senna!

FWIW I think Senna had probably peaked in '93, let down by a fantastic car that needed a few more horsepower. I believe he was to some extent rattled by what he saw as the first driver who was just plain quicker and more committed than him - and I don't think he would've carried on much longer anyway. You have to factor in the Ratzenberger and Barrichello accidents at Imola which affected him deeply; I think Sid Watkins might've helped Ayrton talk himself into retiring - and perhaps sooner rather than later. I think this particular counterfactual history might 'self-correct' and return to what happened in the real world very quickly, the only difference being Ayrton alive but out of racing. I think his future was in international charity work. He would've occasionally got back into a car just to show that if he felt the need to come back he could still be extremely quick, but I don't think he would've raced again.

#38 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:17

Originally posted by roger_valentine

Indeed, I don't, but that doesn't take away my interest in people's views. :)

#39 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 18:15

Originally posted by petefenelon

Isn't Senna on record as having said he wanted to end his career at Ferrari?

If you thought Marlboro Team Schumi was a bit dedicated to pushing the boundaries of the possible/credible in terms of application of the rules, imagine Marlboro Team Senna!

FWIW I think Senna had probably peaked in '93, let down by a fantastic car that needed a few more horsepower. I believe he was to some extent rattled by what he saw as the first driver who was just plain quicker and more committed than him - and I don't think he would've carried on much longer anyway. You have to factor in the Ratzenberger and Barrichello accidents at Imola which affected him deeply; I think Sid Watkins might've helped Ayrton talk himself into retiring - and perhaps sooner rather than later. I think this particular counterfactual history might 'self-correct' and return to what happened in the real world very quickly, the only difference being Ayrton alive but out of racing. I think his future was in international charity work. He would've occasionally got back into a car just to show that if he felt the need to come back he could still be extremely quick, but I don't think he would've raced again.

I would agree with your assertion that in many respects Senna peaked as a driver in '93, ironically when he was competing against the odds, and the superiority of the Renault engines. For some reason, even though their association was tragically brief, I never felt as if Senna and Williams would gel. Ayrton seemed ill at ease prior to the '94 season, and as you have stated, the full blooming of Schumacher's talent must have given him food for thought.

Advertisement

#40 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 20:11

About the 1994 season: I distinctly remember Senna having stated that he, having not scored any points in the first two Grands Prix of the year, considered San Marino to be the start of the season, and that his season would thus only have fourteen races. Wikipedia states as much -- "... Senna declared that this was where his season would start, with fourteen races, as opposed to sixteen, in which to win the title." -- but I can't find an exact quote. Is there an exact quote?

#41 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:36

To be honest, I belive that after seeing what happened to Ratzenberger and Wendlinger he might not have raced past Monaco. If he would have finished the season, he would not have been able to beat Schumacher. I also believe Schummi would not have been given that B.S three race ban if Senna was around either. Senna would have won 5-6 races if he continued, but would not have been able to surpass Schumacher's early advantage. Hill would have been a distant third in the Championship. Distant!

#42 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:05

Bumping my own thread...

... 'cause I've just uploaded part I of 'The Encounter Down Under' to my website. It's available for download — free.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts. :-)

About the 1994 season: I distinctly remember Senna having stated that he, having not scored any points in the first two Grands Prix of the year, considered San Marino to be the start of the season, and that his season would thus only have fourteen races. Wikipedia states as much -- "... Senna declared that this was where his season would start, with fourteen races, as opposed to sixteen, in which to win the title." -- but I can't find an exact quote. Is there an exact quote?

Thanks to poster Ferrim on my website, I've found the exact quote in a YouTube film. Check out the link in his reply to this post.

Edited by lustigson, 02 July 2011 - 20:27.

#43 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:22

About the 1994 season: I distinctly remember Senna having stated that he, having not scored any points in the first two Grands Prix of the year, considered San Marino to be the start of the season, and that his season would thus only have fourteen races. Wikipedia states as much -- "... Senna declared that this was where his season would start, with fourteen races, as opposed to sixteen, in which to win the title."

but I can't find an exact quote. Is there an exact quote

Why don,t you make up one to go with the BS book your trying to write maybe you can come up with something that NEVER happened.

#44 Glank27

Glank27

• 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:23

In my opinion, Senna would have been world champion that year, regardless of the two initial Fails in Brazil and Aida. If Damon Hill was able to challenge Schummy til the last race in Australia, Ayrton would definately been able to be somewhere further up in the charts than Damon (with all the respect to Hill!).
However, to be honest, one must bear in mind, the controversial black flag to Michael at Silverstone, and its ban for a number of Grand Prix. (i think they were two....i stand to be corrected).

#45 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,910 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:16

Today, I finally released 'Senna versus Schumacher' It's available for free download.

I'm curious for your thoughts. And feel free to spread the word.

#46 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:51

I've only just read this thread, I steer away from "what ifs" because "they didn't", but I can say, having read this thread,

1] Senna had two injuries that seperately would have been fatal. The suspension wound and a Cervical Spine fracture.

2] Senna was due to meet up with Ferrari after Imola and it is 90% certain (it was a third meeting) he was to sign a letter of intent to go to Ferrari from the start of 1995. (He signed for Williams, expecting to have the advantage of ALL of the driver aids, which Williams had a firm handle on, which were banned for 1994) Ferrari were then to negotiate how to extract Senna from his Williams contract.

#47 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 14:29

My belief is he would of won both 94 and 95. 

#48 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 14:35

If he had survived, Senna would have had 27 points deficit to Schumacher, right? How much points back was Hill after Monaco? 20? (Where Hill crashed out of the race?)

I think it is a bit easy to say: 'Well, if Hill could have hauled in 20, Senna could have hauled in 27 points.'

#49 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 15:14

If Senna had survived Imola he would have been 30 points down on Schumacher going into Monaco. After Monaco Hill was 33 points down on Schumacher. The gap was at its highest after France, when Schumacher led Hill by 37 points.

#50 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:06

Senna would probably have won at least another two titles at Williams probably three maybe more in my opinion, they had the dominant car from 92-97 and Senna couldnt wait to get in it, winning championships is what drove him on and I strongly believe he would have finished his career with six or seven WDC's to the detriment of the total Schumacher finished with.