Jump to content


Photo

Ron Dennis' speech (merged)


  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 britishtrident

britishtrident
  • Member

  • 1,954 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:40

While I personal don't subscribe to the the man made contribution to global warming hype (note I have been saying for 40 years a reduction of carbon consumption is urgently required for other reasons) you have to take your hat off to Ron, perfect timing.
:up:

Advertisement

#2 Tom Moro

Tom Moro
  • Member

  • 529 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:44

It's his first presidential campaign speech and a well-received one at that. Oh the irony of it all....

#3 klover

klover
  • Member

  • 3,862 posts
  • Joined: June 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:46

Originally posted by Tom Moro
It's his first presidential campaign speech and a well-received one at that. Oh the irony of it all....

Even if Max leaves, the chances of Ron becoming a president are slim at best. Unless you have some inside info otherwise.

#4 Owen

Owen
  • Member

  • 10,476 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:47

Full details here

"Following his speech, Dennis, the CEO and president of the McLaren Group, earned a prolonged standing ovation as well as public praise from the CEO of Honda's F1 team, Nick Fry, and Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner, who were also speaking at the event."

#5 Rinehart

Rinehart
  • Member

  • 8,901 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:48

Originally posted by klover

Even if Max leaves, the chances of Ron becoming a president are slim at best. Unless you have some inside info otherwise.


I'd suggest that the goalposts are moving.

#6 Tuxy

Tuxy
  • Member

  • 950 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:03

Ron...

STFU.

You're a joke and a disgrace to the sport.

#7 HoldenRT

HoldenRT
  • Member

  • 5,309 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:08

No that would be Max, but Ron isn't much better.

#8 vsubravet

vsubravet
  • Member

  • 2,121 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:11

Originally posted by Tuxy
Ron...

STFU.

You're a joke and a disgrace to the sport.


What and in-depth and well-thought out reply; you, Sir, are a disgrace :rolleyes: You don't have much to contribute by way of discussion, there are plenty of other things you could do instead of coming out here & spewing vitriol.

On topic - :up: Excellent speech Ron and good points too, especially about the cap for the number of races in a year.

#9 matt1979

matt1979
  • New Member

  • 11 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:24

Got to had it to Ron, great timing!

Dennis is one of those guys that Formula One needs to hold onto and use his experience and knowledge. He's in the same breed as Frank Williams, in that his first love is Formula One. Ok so he handled the events of last year quite badly, but at the same time I honestly believe he did not know about the foul play until it was too late.

I for one would love to see Ron as the head of the FIA. Get the feeling that this speech will be the start of a campaign. Especially as Max's days are numbered.

#10 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius
  • Member

  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:26

Originally posted by matt1979
Got to had it to Ron, great timing!

Dennis is one of those guys that Formula One needs to hold onto and use his experience and knowledge. He's in the same breed as Frank Williams, in that his first love is Formula One. Ok so he handled the events of last year quite badly, but at the same time I honestly believe he did not know about the foul play until it was too late.

I for one would love to see Ron as the head of the FIA. Get the feeling that this speech will be the start of a campaign. Especially as Max's days are numbered.


I dont think its about timing.... he was probably booked weeks, if not months before to make this speech.
But I have to say his graceful presentation is a welcome cool-off for F1.

It also directs where the focus of F1 should be, not in some shady basement.

#11 Tom Moro

Tom Moro
  • Member

  • 529 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:30

No inside info on that but it looks very very well timed to me. I'm sure RD can sense the opportunity

#12 mclarensmps

mclarensmps
  • Member

  • 3,776 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:30

Fantastic speech by Ron. Here's hoping he stays onboard McLaren beyond this season. :up:

#13 Patrik L

Patrik L
  • New Member

  • 30 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:31

Ron's proposals are sound and all on their own, but shouldn't FIA look inside their organisation to find a successor to Max? And is Ron really aiming for that seat (or Jean for that matter)?

#14 matt1979

matt1979
  • New Member

  • 11 posts
  • Joined: March 08

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:31

Originally posted by glorius&victorius


I dont think its about timing.... he was probably booked weeks, if not months before to make this speech.
But I have to say his graceful presentation is a welcome cool-off for F1.

It also directs where the focus of F1 should be, not in some shady basement.


I quite agree, by the phrase I meant it all seems to have come together at the right time for Ron. His 'vision' was clearly put forward as an alternative to some of Mosely's policies. The fact that his nemesis of recent years has just been caught getting his arse spanked makes Ron's vision carry even more weight.

#15 lustigson

lustigson
  • Member

  • 4,767 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 02 April 2008 - 13:31

Originally posted by Tom Moro
It's his first presidential campaign speech and a well-received one at that. Oh the irony of it all....

That was my first thought, too.

However, it wasn't so much announcing his vision, but more stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

#16 Sakae

Sakae
  • Member

  • 19,256 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 13:50

Mr. Dennis perhaps should stick control of his house first and ensuring, that sport is not exposed scandals of a kind we have seen in 2007. Personal seclusion for next a few years woudl be good, rather than lecturing others on "visions".

#17 femi

femi
  • Member

  • 6,203 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 02 April 2008 - 13:52

Originally posted by MiPe
Mr. Dennis perhaps should stick control of his house first and ensuring, that sport is not exposed scandals of a kind we have seen in 2007. Personal seclusion for next a few years woudl be good, rather than lecturing others on "visions".


I bet you would love to receive lectures on visions from Max hitler instead.

#18 riffola

riffola
  • Member

  • 940 posts
  • Joined: March 02

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:05

Is the linked article his full speech? Because it only contains broad concepts and very few concrete suggestions. Surely there's more to what he said than just that.

I agree with Ron that F1 needs to be the pinnacle of motorsport and still do it within the constraints of the modern world, especially the need to be eco-friendly so that the technology developed can transfer to road cars and make then less polluting too.

I just want to see some concrete ideas, not broad concepts.

#19 four1

four1
  • Member

  • 456 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:29

Hell, why should RD stop at just becoming the FIA president?

Based on such great wisdom and integrity, I say that he should become the next prime minister of England with Hamilton Sr. as his deputy PM.
Naturally, he should first get one of those "Sir" titles that are bestowed on fine gentlemen such as Mosley's father.

Advertisement

#20 archstanton

archstanton
  • Member

  • 425 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:40

oooh, it's on!

Posted Image

#21 LeD

LeD
  • Member

  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:44

I think Ron made an extremely good speech, and there was nothing controversial about it - nothing to bash him over the head with. His audience apparently responded to it well.

I doubt very much that the timing and content of his speech had anything to do with Max's current predicament - although perhaps it may have contributed a little to the warmth of the ovation given to Ron.

#22 Sakae

Sakae
  • Member

  • 19,256 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:47

Originally posted by femi


I bet you would love to receive lectures on visions from Max hitler instead.

Could you re-write the question (or comment?), so I would understand it, please?

#23 Superman

Superman
  • Member

  • 616 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:52

although i hate him and his team for what they did last year, he pretty much spot on in his comment, 20 races per season, wow!!!!! it would just be fantastic

#24 LeD

LeD
  • Member

  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 02 April 2008 - 14:52

I think femi meant that Ron was rather more eloquent, indeed passionate in his vision, than Max Mosley ever could be when delivering a similar address.

:cool:

#25 Tuxy

Tuxy
  • Member

  • 950 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 15:56

Originally posted by vsubravet


What and in-depth and well-thought out reply; you, Sir, are a disgrace :rolleyes:


Oh, so you're being sarcastic? *Phew* my self-esteem remains intact.

I really don't need to be elliquent to make my point. Who can take this guy seriously anymore? Can this guy learn a little humility and just shut up. You can choose to support this guy that's your poragative; hell I did my share of misguided support during 2002 Austria fiasco for example. But I did come to my senses eventually.

He's just recanting points made by fans, media, drivers, principles etc. and for what? Stiff upper lip? He's just picking at the huge puss-filled scab created by his actions last season. To borrow a term, he's "the axis" or should I say "apex" inwhich this brewing resentment contrentrates.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but this shit is really infuriating. If people insist on actively supporting this guy, then I have just as much right so do the opposite.

#26 LeD

LeD
  • Member

  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 02 April 2008 - 16:00

I am sure you are quite right, Tuxy - and I admire your turn of phrase. I must remember that "pus-filled scab".

Well.

I am sure that the assembled audience of F1 and other dignitaries see it entirely your way, and the standing ovation was just a well-mannered way of expressing their disapproval of dear old Ron.....

#27 alg7_munif

alg7_munif
  • Member

  • 1,615 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 02 April 2008 - 16:02

Ron speech is good because Mosley can't down play his speech for a while :rotfl:

#28 giacomo

giacomo
  • Member

  • 6,977 posts
  • Joined: December 05

Posted 02 April 2008 - 16:17

My vision is a Formula One without Mosley and Ecclestone. And, of course, without Dennis as well.

What about Ron's vision? A Formula One were moles in rival teams are a sign of integrity and dignity?

#29 Tuxy

Tuxy
  • Member

  • 950 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 16:39

Originally posted by LeD
I am sure that the assembled audience of F1 and other dignitaries see it entirely your way, and the standing ovation was just a well-mannered way of expressing their disapproval of dear old Ron.....


Only the ones who are not kidding themselves...

#30 LostProphet

LostProphet
  • Member

  • 1,175 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 02 April 2008 - 16:41

Originally posted by Tuxy
Ron...

STFU.

You're a joke and a disgrace to the sport.


Tuxy...

STFU.

You're a joke and a disgrace to the bulletin board.


Oooh, totally uncalled-for personal attacks are fun!!

:rolleyes:

#31 Andy35

Andy35
  • Member

  • 3,392 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 02 April 2008 - 16:53

Not bad for a man who reportedly is not the sharpest knife in the box. *

Regards

Andy

* Or the thickest whip, the hardest paddle or indeed the longest riding crop.

#32 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

  • 16,468 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 02 April 2008 - 17:00

Originally posted by Tuxy


I really don't need to be elliquent to make my point.

That's handy.

Ron was quite probably invited to give his speech. His speech seems to be pretty good. Certainly good enough that you can't find anything to take issue with on any of the specifics. What you are indulging in here is not commenting on the speech but on the orator, which is just a bit childish really because you won't get through to Ron.

"Attack the post, not the poster", right?

#33 Orin

Orin
  • Member

  • 8,444 posts
  • Joined: October 04

Posted 02 April 2008 - 17:12

Telling someone to STFU when they're making a non-controversial speech is just stupid, incredibly stupid really as it suggests that person is no longer allowed to speak when reporters are present, about anything whatsoever. Now, only an idiot would suggest that the head of a racing team should be prevented from making any public utterances on any subject.

AndyW35, excellent sig! :lol:

#34 Mika Mika

Mika Mika
  • Member

  • 6,738 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 02 April 2008 - 17:41

Disgrace to the sport.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really,

Really Really???
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Yea right now when I think of F1 disgraces I really think of ron :p :p

Looks like a good speech, Honda and Red bull seemed to like it!!!

#35 Tigershark

Tigershark
  • Member

  • 996 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 02 April 2008 - 17:56

Some good points. Finally someone mentions entrepreneurial freedom. This will solve problems faster, better and cheaper than the alternatives that are currently on the rise (unanimous decisions on very tight rules and further standardization). :up:

It's common sense, but it's good people like Dennis are now stating that the continuous messing with the rules under the pretext of cost savings is actually increasing costs. The commitment to keeping F1 the pinnacle of motorsport from an engineering point of view is also good news in these times where people seem to want to turn F1 into something it's not: a GP2 with slightly faster cars. :)

#36 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius
  • Member

  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 02 April 2008 - 18:33

Originally posted by matt1979


I quite agree, by the phrase I meant it all seems to have come together at the right time for Ron. His 'vision' was clearly put forward as an alternative to some of Mosely's policies. The fact that his nemesis of recent years has just been caught getting his arse spanked makes Ron's vision carry even more weight.


oh yes from that perspective, giving the presentation at this moment certainly gives him the edge in credibility

#37 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius
  • Member

  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 02 April 2008 - 18:37

Originally posted by MiPe
Mr. Dennis perhaps should stick control of his house first and ensuring, that sport is not exposed scandals of a kind we have seen in 2007. Personal seclusion for next a few years woudl be good, rather than lecturing others on "visions".


Ron is wearing 3 caps... and wearing one of then, I think Chairman of the Mclaren Group, he definitely entitled to share his vision... he doesn't lecture ;) he inspires

He's a Captain of Industry, like Frank Williams, one of the few on the grid to run a F1 team that they built from practically nothing (or scraps of decaying teams). Besides, Dennis and Mclaren pushed professionalism to a new level... Whether that can be seen as good or bad for the sport is up for discussion, but he certainly gave direction to it.

And he can certainly give new direction to F1. So I'd be for one very interested in reading his whole speech.





#38 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius
  • Member

  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 02 April 2008 - 18:45

Originally posted by riffola
Is the linked article his full speech? Because it only contains broad concepts and very few concrete suggestions. Surely there's more to what he said than just that.

I agree with Ron that F1 needs to be the pinnacle of motorsport and still do it within the constraints of the modern world, especially the need to be eco-friendly so that the technology developed can transfer to road cars and make then less polluting too.

I just want to see some concrete ideas, not broad concepts.


that's why its called a Vision :rolleyes:

Vision >> Strategy >> Road map >> Action plan

least concrete <---------------------> most concrete

Something along that line... but the Vision is indeed the blurry high level thing, that is very close to a nice (wet) dream (with 5 hookers... oooopsss that was for Max :lol: ), that warms and inspires everyone.

Seriously speaking I think he (Dennis) as a Captain of Industry clearly conveyed that vision judging from the clearly inspired crowd giving him the standing ovation.

#39 tifoso

tifoso
  • Member

  • 10,897 posts
  • Joined: June 00

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:33

Originally posted by klover
Even if Max leaves, the chances of Ron becoming a president are slim at best. Unless you have some inside info otherwise.

The reality his getting the job doesn't have anything to do with his wanting the job. People aren't always realistic about this sort of stuff especially when they are very ambitious. And like Tom Moro, I thought it sounded a lot like a campaign speech. But I don't disagree with anything that the press is reporting he said.

Advertisement

#40 WGD706

WGD706
  • Member

  • 956 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 13 April 2008 - 00:06

http://www.motorspor...he-middle-east/

Interesting stuff that he has to say....opinions?

#41 scheivlak

scheivlak
  • Member

  • 11,382 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 13 April 2008 - 00:12

earlier thread:
http://forums.autosp...9&highlight=Ron

Not a bad speech BTW - though I must say that I find it not easy to believe that the best years of F1 have yet to come......

#42 Imperial

Imperial
  • Member

  • 2,715 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:52

A very interesting speech, but one who's style absolutely smacks of being © Matt Bishop 2008.

I love the cheeky little reference to leading F1 magazines. Nice one Matt !

#43 Risil

Risil
  • Member

  • 13,790 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:41

Originally posted by scheivlak

Not a bad speech BTW - though I must say that I find it not easy to believe that the best years of F1 have yet to come......


I think there is enough potential in the current state of F1 to surpass anything seen in the 1981- FIA Formula One World Championship. And to be honest the manufacturers and constructors who sold their souls to create F1's modern incarnation have no right to claim the exploits of Brabham, Rindt and Chapman as their inheritance.

#44 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 13 April 2008 - 15:48

I dont like ron dennis but i absolutly hate that self indulged idiot matt bishop.

#45 Anders Torp

Anders Torp
  • Member

  • 499 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 13 April 2008 - 16:29

Originally posted by dawg_7529
I dont like ron dennis but i absolutly hate that self indulged idiot matt bishop.

Thanks for letting us know.

#46 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius
  • Member

  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 13 April 2008 - 16:32

thanks for posting that and leading me to Motor Sport Magazine! I didn't knew they existed, but now I know that Nigel R. is writing for them!

#47 dawg_7529

dawg_7529
  • Member

  • 269 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 13 April 2008 - 16:36

o my, nigel roebuck, another self indulged idiot. the sole reason i gave up autosport years ago.

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak
  • Member

  • 13,211 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 13 April 2008 - 17:20

Originally posted by dawg_7529
o my, nigel roebuck, another self indulged idiot. the sole reason i gave up autosport years ago.


That ignore button is... where?

ahh on it's profile...got it
bye bye bow wow
Jp

#49 britishtrident

britishtrident
  • Member

  • 1,954 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 13 April 2008 - 17:31

Originally posted by Risil


I think there is enough potential in the current state of F1 to surpass anything seen in the 1981- FIA Formula One World Championship. And to be honest the manufacturers and constructors who sold their souls to create F1's modern incarnation have no right to claim the exploits of Brabham, Rindt and Chapman as their inheritance.


Rindt isn't mentioned in the article but I'll wager Ron Dennis knew Jochen pretty well a young lad called Ron Dennis was Rindt's mechanic at Cooper and went with him Brabham. Ron Dennis stayed at Brabham when Rindt left for Lotus Dennis then became Jack Brabham's chief mechanic at the ripe old age of 21 years.


While Sir Black Jack Brabham left his F1 soul safely in the hands of Ron Taurnac only for it to end up in Bernie's mitts.


Genius though he was Chapman wasn't exactly above selling his soul if he hadn't died it might have ended up in jail along with his mate Fred. In any case it was Chapman that brought major league tobacco sponsorship into F1.



#50 britishtrident

britishtrident
  • Member

  • 1,954 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 13 April 2008 - 17:41

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
thanks for posting that and leading me to Motor Sport Magazine! I didn't knew they existed, but now I know that Nigel R. is writing for them!


They have only been printing since 1926 and Bill Boddy is still writing for them --- see http://www.telegraph...t/mfbrboddy.xml