Lewis will hit back in Spain

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#1 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:40

... according to Martin Whitmarsh...

I think Mclaren and Lewis are taking a wrong approach in trying to boost their confidence through these one-liners in the press... it's already going on for months now...

Lewis claiming he will win this and win that.... right now they had 2 very bad races in a row. Nothing to be proud about... my advice to them... just keep a low profile from now till Spain. Work hard, spend time in the simulator instead with journalists...

The worst thing Lewis could have said in the post Australian GP: something along the lines of not being worried about the Ferrari race pace. That one really came back.

And by the way the quiet guy at Mclaren, Heikki is putting down a consistent performance without all the self-sustaining hype.

I like Lewis, but I can do with a bit less hype.

Advertisement

#2 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:41

What was wrong with Malaysia other than his pit crew???

Whitmarsh is just answering idiotic critics that think because Lewis had a crash and a brain fart at the start in Bahrain he's suddenly a crap driver.

#3 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:47

As a team (Mclaren + Lewis) had two bad races in a row and what do they come up with: Lewis will hit back in Spain.
Last year Lewis, it seemed to me, did well because he was more humble and more focused (and not on his image)

I wish they would get back in that mindset

#4 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:48

Mountain out of a molehill mate.

#5 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:50

Well at least it cannot get any worse :lol:

but yes you are right, they are not doing themselves any favours with these kind of statements.
Must be the new Matt Bishop PR policy.

There's no point in creating extra pressure, they should just lay low and answer on track in Barcelona.

#6 mariuszek

mariuszek

• 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:52

You all misunderstood, Withmarsh is talking about Alonso's back that Hamilton will hit again in Spain.

#7 BiEs

BiEs

• 77 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:55

Can't deny. Lewis hit in Bahrein, so he can hit (one's) back in Spain too. Spain is even more demanding...

#8 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:56

Last year he was the next god, now after a couple of bad races (both due to himself and just bad luck) he is worth next to nothing.

Give the guy some time, he didnt do so well last year just because of luck, he is a very talented driver and will get it on the road again.

#9 prxty

prxty

• 427 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:59

Originally posted by mariuszek
You all misunderstood, Withmarsh is talking about Alonso's back that Hamilton will hit again in Spain.

Well. This he does very well.

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 21:02

didnt they say the same about massa/ferrari/kimi etc?

would be so amusing to see him win in spain :lol:

#11 kar

kar

• 10,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 21:26

McLaren always do this. I remember the repeated promises of 'quantum steps' in 2006 that never came to fruition. But then sometimes it does, 2005 springs to mind :blush:

#12 jesee

jesee

• 1,674 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 21:30

It seems some people cant even fart without the name hamilton? Why do we have all these stupid threads about one driver :down: :down: Jeez iam fed up about this crap!

#13 Lurb

Lurb

• 183 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 22:32

Originally posted by prxty
Originally posted by mariuszek

Well. This he does very well.

Spankings galore!

#14 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 00:24

I don't beleive there's anything he could say about the expectations for Barcelona that would not be criticised. He'd either be too optimistic, too pessismistic, too this or that or simply wrong. I do believe Hamilton will be much stronger in Barcelona too, but it's time McLaren start thinking about how bad they want to win and what compromises will they accept.

In 2006 Renault was being cornered by Ferrari when they arrived at Barcelona. What did they do? They took a big gamble in qualifying and put out both cars very light to secure pole and have track position at least. It proved the be the right thing to do, Alonso and Renault won and turned the tide at a crucial moment.

Since Kovalainen and Hamilton are tied at 14 and both need the win to not let Raikkonen slip away, I think it would be right to emulate Renault's strategy from 2006. Qualify light, secure front row no matter what. Whoever gets pole should be allowed to blitz into the distance as the other holds the field, which isn't hard at all at Barcelona.

IMO, Kovalainen's last stint at bahrain showed that McLaren isn't that far behind, they simply missed chosing the correct tyre strategy and keeping out of trouble at the start. This isn't about chosing number 1 and number 2 pilots, it's simply about winning no matter what before the other teams get on a roll and leave them behind.

Anyhow, that's how I'd do it and I'm sure each one will have his own ideas which aren't the same as mine.

#15 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 00:35

I hope and look forward to him hitting back again ... the car in front of him :rotfl:

shaggy

#16 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:00

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

You only just noticed?

CC

#17 Most Fastest

Most Fastest

• 236 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:01

I though Lewis already HIT BACK in barhain........ :rotfl:

#18 PassWind

PassWind

• 5,031 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:06

Originally posted by jesee
It seems some people cant even fart without the name hamilton? Why do we have all these stupid threads about one driver :down: :down: Jeez iam fed up about this crap!

Already in just 5 months jeez........ :rotfl:

#19 PassWind

PassWind

• 5,031 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:08

Originally posted by kar
McLaren always do this. I remember the repeated promises of 'quantum steps' in 2006 that never came to fruition. But then sometimes it does, 2005 springs to mind :blush:

:up: Correct this is all just normal McLaren PR Bullshit, not saying that this is the case at present but Dennis in particular is a master at polishing a turd when he chooses to do so nothing out of the ordinary for mine.

Advertisement

#20 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:06

Originally posted by kar

2005 was pretty good, but they were putting in the odd fastest lap in before that..

When it comes to press releases I much tprefer kimi's "i don't care" "go ask some one else" approach...

#21 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,639 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:26

a driver does not become crap overnight. however it is showing that there is more to it than just him showing up and being quickest.

how he handles pressure is key. last year could have been better, this year too he needs to just keep on it. I think McLaren & Co could just keep quiet and let him do the talking.

Heikki is creeping up slowly. blisfully away from the media glare.

#22 pjabyrne

pjabyrne

• 113 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:27

In fairness if asked a direct question by the media what do you expect them to say? That his nerves are shot and that Ferrari are going to run away with it?

They'll keep making these pronouncements and Lewis will come back eventually - if not Spain the race after that.

I still think Hammy needs to come back from a bit of bad luck/pressure to prove himself though. On the evidence of late '07/early '08 pressure is not his friend. Does anyone know what his record is from the lower formulae for performing under pressure? Because I'm sure I read somewhere that he made crucial mistakes when in championship-deciding positions before - perhaps against Piquet in GP2 ? (I know he won that one but considering the car advantage he had did he not make heavy weather of it?)

#23 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:38

Originally posted by kar

As a quantum leap (or quantum step) means a very small leap or step, it appears McLaren meant exactly what they said.

#24 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:24

Lauda :
"At the moment Lewis has absolutely not impressed me," triple world champion and former McLaren ace Lauda told the Daily Mirror. "I thought he would get better this year, but he has got worse. He is in pretty bad shape.

"The crash with Fernando Alonso and then on Friday in practice too, was absolutely needless. Lewis showed nothing in Bahrain. I think it's because of the pressure he is putting on himself."

#25 kar

kar

• 10,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:32

Originally posted by Perigee

As a quantum leap (or quantum step) means a very small leap or step, it appears McLaren meant exactly what they said.

In the vernacular, the term quantum leap has come to mean an abrupt change or "step change", especially an advance or augmentation. The term dates back to early-to-mid-20th century, coinciding with the discoveries of quantum mechanics. The popular and scientific terms are similar in that both describe a change that happens all at once (revolutionary), rather than gradually over time (evolutionary),

#26 Dick_Dastardly

Dick_Dastardly

• 262 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:43

Oh good, another excuse to bash Lewis again :rolleyes:

#27 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:45

Originally posted by hobbes
Lauda :
"At the moment Lewis has absolutely not impressed me," triple world champion and former McLaren ace Lauda told the Daily Mirror. "I thought he would get better this year, but he has got worse. He is in pretty bad shape.

"The crash with Fernando Alonso and then on Friday in practice too, was absolutely needless. Lewis showed nothing in Bahrain. I think it's because of the pressure he is putting on himself."

I do think that apologising to the team might prove a mistake. The problem is that if he messes up in Spain he will feel the need to make another apology, he doesn't want to spend the year in a hair shirt. Given his positive outlook he probably hasn't even considered such a scenario, but it can't be helpful to feel the need to apologise for every cock-up, it smacks of a blame culture. It would have been better simply to admit he'd made mistakes and promise to improve, the apology should be implicit.

If Hamilton does have a nightmare season, it will only serve to round him out, as a driver and as an individual, no bad thing. He has plenty of more years ahead of him in a top seat.

#28 1george

1george

• 1,408 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:58

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
... according to Martin Whitmarsh...

I think Mclaren and Lewis are taking a wrong approach in trying to boost their confidence through these one-liners in the press... it's already going on for months now...

Lewis claiming he will win this and win that.... right now they had 2 very bad races in a row. Nothing to be proud about... my advice to them... just keep a low profile from now till Spain. Work hard, spend time in the simulator instead with journalists...

The worst thing Lewis could have said in the post Australian GP: something along the lines of not being worried about the Ferrari race pace. That one really came back.

And by the way the quiet guy at Mclaren, Heikki is putting down a consistent performance without all the self-sustaining hype.

Typical PR statement. Anyway, we will see, probably, before the Barcelona tests prior to the Spanish GP where the real gap with Ferrari. The Circuit de Catalunya(despite to be a bit boring for a race nowadays) due to the nature of the track, use to be an aerodynamics indicator about how the season is going to be. So we will see if Whitmarsh is allright or he will be forced to eat his words.

#29 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:03

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
What was wrong with Malaysia other than his pit crew???

Whitmarsh is just answering idiotic critics that think because Lewis had a crash and a brain fart at the start in Bahrain he's suddenly a crap driver.

qualify?

#30 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:07

In Barcelona, both Ferraris, and maybe BMWs are going to be stronger than McLaren.

Don't bet on a win for the Golden boy.

#31 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:36

i think baldisseri said that in Bahrain BMW seemed stronger than they really are since the track suits them, so i wouldnt write McLaren off

#32 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:43

Lewis will hit (someone's) back in Spain

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting sick by his name being present in every third topic title. It's not even McLaren, it's Lewis who's gonna show them all.

:

#33 John B

John B

• 6,331 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 14:45

It would continue the redemption pattern anyway. Hamilton has a bad last 2 GPs of 07 and wins Australia. KR has an adventure down under and comes back in Malaysia. Massa has two bad races and dominates last weekend. Seems like a little motivation goes a long way with evenly matched group at the front.

#34 HP

HP

• 14,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 15:22

It's clear that Hamilton will do better in Spain, provided there are no disasters. Seeing the evidence of Hamilton's broken upper front wing explains a lot about his miserable race pace. The only thing it doesn't explain, why Whitmarsh told that the wing broke 2 seconds before he hit Alonso, when video evidence is around that shows the front wing was broken long before that.
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/66487

Originally posted by hobbes
i think baldisseri said that in Bahrain BMW seemed stronger than they really are since the track suits them, so i wouldnt write McLaren off

So the BMW cars grow strong just for track that suit them. Cool, but a bit unrealistic to say the least.

Of course it's foolish to write McLaren off. But when Ron Dennis starts saying things that look like mind games about BMW and Baldisseri at Ferrari does the same, Then I think they actually are concerned about BMW's speed. That's fine with me when 3 teams can fight for a race win and even the championship.

#35 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 15:51

Originally posted by mowaru
qualify?

Qualify what? He qualified 4th in Malaysia.

#36 papa

papa

• 495 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 16:07

Originally posted by carbonfibre
Last year he was the next god, now after a couple of bad races (both due to himself and just bad luck) he is worth next to nothing.

Give the guy some time, he didnt do so well last year just because of luck, he is a very talented driver and will get it on the road again.

thing is that he puts himself in this kind of situation...

see what Lauda recently commented about Lewis...

I disagree with Lauda more then ocassionally but this time not

#37 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 16:24

What kind of situation is he in??? last I checked he's sitting third in the WDC, there are far worse positions to be in, ask Felipe Massa. :lol:

#38 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 16:55

Originally posted by Dragonfly
Lewis will hit (someone's) back in Spain

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting sick by his name being present in every third topic title. It's not even McLaren, it's Lewis who's gonna show them all.

:

i hope heikki takes the next mclaren victory.by the way why mclaren hasnt said that heikki will bounce back?his race wasnt that spectacular either :

#39 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 16:56

Which would rather suggest the car and Bahrain didn't really work well . . .

Advertisement

#40 El_Capitán

El_Capitán

• 564 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 17:18

Lewis' problem is that when the car is fast he is amazingly fast. When the Ferraris are even faster he seems to develop a case of jitters and he is suddenly not as fast.

If his ass can't cash checks his mouth writes then maybe he should just keep the piper closed and do the talking on the track.

#41 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 17:29

What did Lewis say??? :rolleyes:

#42 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 17:53

Originally posted by El_Capitán
Lewis' problem is that when the car is fast he is amazingly fast. When the Ferraris are even faster he seems to develop a case of jitters and he is suddenly not as fast.

If his ass can't cash checks his mouth writes then maybe he should just keep the piper closed and do the talking on the track.

I also think it would be wise for Lewis to let his driving do the talking in future. He does tend to be a mouthy sort, although, to be fair, I suppose every time he turns around there is a reporter wanting to know something or other, which will inevitably be printed. Still, he doesn´t have to play into their hands so willingly. He should take a leaf out of the world champions book in this respect.

#43 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 18:07

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

I also think it would be wise for Lewis to let his driving do the talking in future. He does tend to be a mouthy sort, although, to be fair, I suppose every time he turns around there is a reporter wanting to know something or other, which will inevitably be printed. Still, he doesn´t have to play into their hands so willingly. He should take a leaf out of the world champions book in this respect.

Again - what has Lewis said???? He hasn't said anything since admitting fault on Sunday as far as I've read.

#44 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 18:17

Again - what has Lewis said???? He hasn't said anything since admitting fault on Sunday as far as I've read.

Ricardo, I was refering to him in general, not any one specific quote, as I believe El Capitan was.

#45 El_Capitán

El_Capitán

• 564 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 19:11

"I'm a lot wiser this time around", "my driving is improving constantly", condescendingly congratulating Heikki on his fifth place (he got 1st,) et cetera.

Well, we all know his driving has deteriorated somewhat and that if he is wiser than his older (and cockier) version then he should definitely do exactly the opposite of what he has, so far, said.

He dicho.

#46 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 19:44

No doubt that Lewis is a good driver, but if one includes that last part of last season he really have a terrible score. He is a gambler, we saw that many times last season during the starts and in some passes. Maybe he was lucky then and unlucky now, but it seems to me that he puts pretty much in the hands of fate.

I saw an interview with him and Nico. Lewis is a guy that can not lose. What will happen with him when he cannot win?

#47 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 20:55

Originally posted by jesee

It's not like there is a depth of talent in f1 these days, start a Nakajima or Piquet Jr. thread.

#48 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 22:07

Originally posted by El_Capitán

"I'm a lot wiser this time around", "my driving is improving constantly", condescendingly congratulating Heikki on his fifth place (he got 1st,) et cetera.

Well, we all know his driving has deteriorated somewhat and that if he is wiser than his older (and cockier) version then he should definitely do exactly the opposite of what he has, so far, said.

I think you just dislike the guy mate.

#49 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:57

Originally posted by Atreiu
I don't beleive there's anything he could say about the expectations for Barcelona that would not be criticised. He'd either be too optimistic, too pessismistic, too this or that or simply wrong. I do believe Hamilton will be much stronger in Barcelona too, but it's time McLaren start thinking about how bad they want to win and what compromises will they accept.

In 2006 Renault was being cornered by Ferrari when they arrived at Barcelona. What did they do? They took a big gamble in qualifying and put out both cars very light to secure pole and have track position at least. It proved the be the right thing to do, Alonso and Renault won and turned the tide at a crucial moment.

Since Kovalainen and Hamilton are tied at 14 and both need the win to not let Raikkonen slip away, I think it would be right to emulate Renault's strategy from 2006. Qualify light, secure front row no matter what. Whoever gets pole should be allowed to blitz into the distance as the other holds the field, which isn't hard at all at Barcelona.

IMO, Kovalainen's last stint at bahrain showed that McLaren isn't that far behind, they simply missed chosing the correct tyre strategy and keeping out of trouble at the start. This isn't about chosing number 1 and number 2 pilots, it's simply about winning no matter what before the other teams get on a roll and leave them behind.

Anyhow, that's how I'd do it and I'm sure each one will have his own ideas which aren't the same as mine.

I think certainly last year would be appropriate when following through with your theory. Though this year seems to be far different. With the large performance gains made by BMW this year indicates that the front row and be far more varied than once thought, thus leading to different and varied plans of race strategies. With 6 drivers now in contention of gaining podium finishes rather than 4 previously.

This in my mind would lead to a more free for all race especially when drivers in particular teams are scattered throughout the grid. It becomes more of survival of the fittest rather than who can help who. Also with the majority of the top drivers so closely packed together (points wise) I don't think anyone will be playing second fiddle for the greater benefit for the team. The only race that was anywhere close to this presumption was the last in Bahrain, where massa was flying and after the beginning where kimi challenged briefly the fight was called off and kimi settled for second.

#50 PassWind

PassWind

• 5,031 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:53

Originally posted by HP
It's clear that Hamilton will do better in Spain, provided there are no disasters. Seeing the evidence of Hamilton's broken upper front wing explains a lot about his miserable race pace. The only thing it doesn't explain, why Whitmarsh told that the wing broke 2 seconds before he hit Alonso, when video evidence is around that shows the front wing was broken long before that.
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/66487

So the BMW cars grow strong just for track that suit them. Cool, but a bit unrealistic to say the least.

Of course it's foolish to write McLaren off. But when Ron Dennis starts saying things that look like mind games about BMW and Baldisseri at Ferrari does the same, Then I think they actually are concerned about BMW's speed. That's fine with me when 3 teams can fight for a race win and even the championship.

What do you mean explains miserable race pace, he had the thing changed after he stacked into the back of Alonso. If his pace was off after the Wing change then I guess damage as a result of the collision of secondary damage from debri or landing had on the front wheels. What should be asked is why didn't the team know that the wing was broken. Surely Lewis knew it was, so why did he not tell the team as it seems like it was a post race surprise to them.

If you are driving a very fast car, and you break the wing lap one what are you going to do about it? Now as we may hypothetically talk about it, did Lewis decide to ride it out until the next pit? Implying he knew exactly the handling problems of the car. But he knew or should have he nearly got clocked by the wing and surely before it flew off he would've had substantial vibrational feedback from the front of the car and after the break something wouldn't have felt right. The onboard shows him under steering into every tight turn so he knew and if were to say he didn't notice well make your own conclusions as to his level of experience.

There is something deeper to look at with the incident, not so much the blame or whatever people want to bleat about but the decision that Lewis made after initial contact in racing conditions. The greats are known for how much cognitive overhead they have to use for strategic thinking while turning out fast laps, of note Prost, MS. Caveat before I go on because I am sick of these little turds ===> (To all the ****ing idiots who love to say oh no another hamiltion bash with the rolleyes icon ****ing jam it up your arse and read the post, if you have nothing constructive to say then **** off find another bandwagon to get on because you do not have two brain cells with which to post an original thought). As to Lewis I have no doubt he has this capacity, and its probably just a matter of experience which is acceptable and its McLarens problem they haven't a experienced driver in the team not Lewis's. But its pretty important to be able to think through all of the possibilities and make the best of a bad thing. Lewis as far as I am aware didn't mention what he was planning to do but its something most would reasonably say needs to be thought of.

So saying that, one must make assumptions based on reports as we haven't heard from Lewis on the matter. He does say he accepts blame for the performance, is that after he has realized he made some tactical errors or just a feeling of regret? I think he is a pretty smart kid so one might assume its after he has thought about it. If you wing is broken a driver of experience could do the quick mental gymnastics for the pro's and cons or inform the team so they can do it for the driver. As the teams has said they realized after the race then one must assume that Hamilton didn't say anything. Why? Because he didn't know? Or he made his decision to ride it out? If he made the decision to ride it out then it puts some context on the accident and Lewis feelings after the race. If he simply didn't say anything because he was in make spots up mode then its indicative of the realities within F1. They just aren't go-karts anyone can jump into and race.