* * * * - 4 votes

OT. SmartPhone live timing apps [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1210 replies to this topic

#1 Ham's Cranes Ltd

Ham's Cranes Ltd

• 146 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:01

Can anyone tell me if Formula1.com livetiming works on iPhone?

Advertisement

#2 Blue

Blue

• 1,222 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 13:47

Sorry, don’t know :blush:

Anyway, I found this TODAY: http://live.yamigo.com
It gives you live timing in S40 and S60 phones, and some more. First 10 000 free. :up:

Edit: Does someone know how to change your password in Live timing?

#3 D A

D A

• 908 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 14:01

Originally posted by Blue

It gives you live timing in S40 and S60 phones, and some more. First 10 000 free. :up:

I haven't found any way that you can change the password used on the F1.com website. I don't think it is possible at all really. I'd like to know if there is a way to contact the administration of F1.com and ask abou this.

#4 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 14:23

I thought the iPhone can do EVERYTHING!

(Or is it just everything that a Nokia N95 can? :))

#5 Philzippy

Philzippy

• 187 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 15:14

the iPhone doesn't support flash so at the moment it doesn't work but it should do by the end of summer

#6 rddave

rddave

• 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 15:22

I would have thought if the phone supports sun Java then yes you could get the live timeing?

AFAIK the live timing screens are Java not Flash.

#7 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,431 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 00:07

The live timing is in Java not Flash, unfortunately - not that either are supported on iPhone at this time - however Sun have announced they are porting the Java run time environment to iPhone with the release of the SDK. If someone released an ajax client of live timings (and there's no particular reason there isn't one) then it would work great - otherwise we're waiting for Sun.

#8 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:42

No, it doesn't work :(

Is it official flash is coming in the summer? I know it isn't coming in the next major update, I phoned apple to find out. Maybe Formula 1 will release an official living timing/video app for the iphone? If they do I hope it won't cost like the text service did...

I think www.f1central.net has live viewing... I know it has live commentary and that it's text based so will work (although I've only just remembered so haven't tried it) I'm not sure if it has live timing, maybe someone else knows can let us know - otherwise have to wait until Spain to see!

#9 Ham's Cranes Ltd

Ham's Cranes Ltd

• 146 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:11

Bad news then :(

I hope Sun fix this soon, cause I'm gonna buy one ;)

#10 Will

Will

• 3,321 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:15

Out of interest, does live timing work on Windows Mobile 6?

#11 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,813 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:19

It shouldn't be too hard to make an F1 timing client (for jailbroken iPhones) as I believe someone has reverse engineered the data sent from the servers to the java client. Unfortunately my programming skills don't extend to mobile devices but maybe someone here could knock something up?

#12 xype

xype

• 3,519 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:15

Originally posted by se7en_24
It shouldn't be too hard to make an F1 timing client (for jailbroken iPhones) as I believe someone has reverse engineered the data sent from the servers to the java client. Unfortunately my programming skills don't extend to mobile devices but maybe someone here could knock something up?

An iPhone should work just fine with a HTML/AJAX solution. I'm actually surprised people still use Java for that.

#13 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:40

On a related note, does the official live timing work on the opera browser for the Wii ? has anyone tried it ?

#14 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:35

so... whats the latest on all this?

Is live timing capable yet on the iphone?

#15 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:41

Originally posted by Perigee
I thought the iPhone can do EVERYTHING!

(Or is it just everything that a Nokia N95 can? :))

lol if only, i've got an N95 and i love it like my own daughter :lol: but it doesn't do flash content and you cant selectively clear the call log by entry :kiss:

cluckin' great phone tho :up: it's my daytime way to read you lot.......but it does have plus points too :lol:

#16 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:26

Formula 1 are missing big money making op here. I bought a London tube map route planner on my iPhone for £6.99 (downloaded from my iPhone using the apps). I cannot believe Bernie hasn't had a live timing application made and launched when prices are like that for basic apps...

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,208 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 15:54

IT'S HERE
AND HERE
Anyone try it out yet?

Jp

#18 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 16:03

Not at a fiver a time.

Anyone else seen the Red Bull iPhone app? It's pretty good actually.

#19 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 16:16

Can anyone tell me if Formula1.com livetiming works on iPhone?

so... whats the latest on all this?

Is live timing capable yet on the iphone?

i tried that last race, the Live timing doesnot work in Iphone/Ipod touch.

Edited by sreevishnu, 12 June 2009 - 16:21.

Advertisement

#20 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 16:18

Doesn't work in Blackberry Bold.

#21 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 16:19

IT'S HERE
AND HERE
Anyone try it out yet?

Jp

8 $ i would rather see he live timings on PC :D

#22 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 16:20

Formula 1 are missing big money making op here. I bought a London tube map route planner on my iPhone for £6.99 (downloaded from my iPhone using the apps). I cannot believe Bernie hasn't had a live timing application made and launched when prices are like that for basic apps...

If its priced under 4$ i am sure thousands of people will download it.

#23 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 19:22

I have the Nokia N810 Linux tablet, which is able to run a clever little curses application called live-f1. Full screen live sector timing (as ASCII like God intended) and with the correct colors to boot. I don't think it should be that hard to port it to the iPhone.

#24 Slick

Slick
  • Administrator

• 3,340 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 19:35

I've been using the yamigo app on my Nokia 5800 since the beginning of the season and it works well on that except having to scroll around the screen to see the sector times and it's free. It is just a pain you can't change the password on f1.com to something interesting that you can actually remember. Having said that I'm almost memorise the stupid one they sent me because I've typed it in so many times.

#25 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 19:57

awesome, cheers

#26 vicksplum

vicksplum

• 88 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 20:43

Want to watch F1 LT on your iphone?

Sorry, we don't actually have an app for that.

(I'll get my coat... :wave: )

#27 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 00:54

I haven't found any way that you can change the password used on the F1.com website. I don't think it is possible at all really. I'd like to know if there is a way to contact the administration of F1.com and ask abou this.

Sorry for seeing this only now. Still hope it's useful to someone.

In your browser clear the cookies for formula1.com. Then you can request a new password (forgot your password?), login with your current, or register a new account with another email

EDIT: If using a password manager (like in FireFox) there you would have to disable the password too

Edited by HP, 13 June 2009 - 01:00.

#28 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:26

8 $ i would rather see he live timings on PC :D

I'd be willing to pay a one-time fee of $8 to have live timing on my iPhone (especially with the time shifting feature now that FOX is showing the next three races tape delayed here in the USA), but this looks to me like I'd have to pay $8 PER RACE. It's not very clear, but that's the impression I get from the naming of the app with the specific grand prix in the name.

Edited by tkulla, 13 June 2009 - 01:27.

#29 Wout

Wout

• 330 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:48

Has anyone found a live timing application for Windows Mobile yet?

#30 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:47

I'd be willing to pay a one-time fee of $8 to have live timing on my iPhone (especially with the time shifting feature now that FOX is showing the next three races tape delayed here in the USA), but this looks to me like I'd have to pay $8 PER RACE. It's not very clear, but that's the impression I get from the naming of the app with the specific grand prix in the name.

its not one off, i think we should pay every race! :down:
thats bad......luckily i live in India, we get all the races Live (the commentary is cr@p) but still its live.

#31 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:33

The reviews talk about having used it for the Turkish GP, and it will work for the British GP. But it's just called "F1 Timing App - 2009 Santander British grand Prix so it 'could' be for the British GP only.

It's a very odd way to name and sell an app actually.

Edit: Just a thought but iPhone 3.0 will allow apps to charge for extra's from within the app itself, so it could be that after next week, there will be further charges for further GP's(?)

Edited by Buttoneer, 13 June 2009 - 12:39.

#32 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:24

Not sure if its one of the ones already mentioned, but Autosport is reporting an iPhone app that not only displays live timing, but also shows live track position.

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/76235

They dont give any info on what its called or anything, though.

#33 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 180 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:29

Not sure if its one of the ones already mentioned, but Autosport is reporting an iPhone app that not only displays live timing, but also shows live track position.

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/76235

They dont give any info on what its called or anything, though.

Yeah, that's the one JP mentions above....it's available from the iTunes app store.

#34 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:33

Yeah, that's the one JP mentions above....it's available from the iTunes app store.

I just checked the AppStore and appparently it's € 5.99, although it also mentions something about in-app buying from iPhone OS 3.0, from 17 June.

#35 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:37

Does it say if it's GPS or estimated track positioning?

#36 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:40

Finally!

looks like its GPS, plus it states on the iPhone store that you can purchase it from Monaco to Abu Dhabi, so even though its a steep price (AU$9.99) it does cover the whole season.

Looks promising too. I only have $8 in my iTunes account but will def get this before Silverstone. It will be a hell of a lot easier to follow it at the pub!

#37 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:43

Does it actually say GPS anywhere tho? Because there is two ways to plot track position, either using GPS which is as accurate as you can get, or by calculating estimated track position based on the split times and lap time of the leader.

#38 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 13:22

No way is this GPS. It is based on a guesstimate of relative speeds of the cars at certain points of the track. Someone else has already done something similar with virtualF1. They make this clear within the app itself (Yes, I was too tempted :lol: ) so that under safety car periods and warm up laps etc the car speed will be jittery and uneven.

This whole thing about the App being 'from Monaco to abu dhabi' well I just can't see that anywhere though it doesn't specifically talk about a restriction either. On the developers website it talks about the season in wishy washy terms but again makes no promises that the 4.99 you pay today is the end of it. I put a big negative review on the site just so they know how unclear it all is... :lol:

It does contain the saved data for Monaco and Turkey so that you can rewatch the races with a virtual live timing running at the same time which is quite cool, especially if you are a habitual recorder-to-watch-later type like I am when the sun is shining outside. But again, no indication of whether this will be available for free going forward or for additional charge.

Edited by Buttoneer, 15 June 2009 - 13:52.

#39 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 13:35

But F1 is boring now even when one sees it live, so how could anyone want this? But if this technology was out in 1992 say, then fine, but nowadays, no way do I care! Who wants to see less of boring F1 crap? I'd rather have live video of FIA v FOTA meetings!

*face has an odd expression* hahaa

Advertisement

#40 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,813 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 14:16

No way is this GPS. It is based on a guesstimate of relative speeds of the cars at certain points of the track. Someone else has already done something similar with virtualF1. They make this clear within the app itself (Yes, I was too tempted :lol: ) so that under safety car periods and warm up laps etc the car speed will be jittery and uneven.

Why wouldn't it be GPS? virtualF1 is not an official app so obviously they won't have access to FOM's data, but FOM certainly have GPS capabilities.

#41 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 14:24

Why wouldn't it be GPS? virtualF1 is not an official app so obviously they won't have access to FOM's data, but FOM certainly have GPS capabilities.

That's a level of precision that I doubt would justify the demand. If it is based on sector time (instead of lap time) it should be an excellent tool, except...

The pricing is very clear now... $9 is for just one race (British GP), and it's $33 for the whole season (or what's left of it, anyway). Ridiculously high pricing. Even a live-timing fanatic like me can't justify that kind of expense for something I currently get for free on the computer. Hopefully no one will buy and the price will tumble.

#42 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,813 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 14:36

That's a level of precision that I doubt would justify the demand. If it is based on sector time (instead of lap time) it should be an excellent tool, except...

The pricing is very clear now... $9 is for just one race (British GP), and it's $33 for the whole season (or what's left of it, anyway). Ridiculously high pricing. Even a live-timing fanatic like me can't justify that kind of expense for something I currently get for free on the computer. Hopefully no one will buy and the price will tumble.

I don't see why they wouldn't use the GPS data if it's already there, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'm thinking of getting it for this weekend as I'll be at the track on Friday and Saturday.

#43 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 14:44

I don't see why they wouldn't use the GPS data if it's already there, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'm thinking of getting it for this weekend as I'll be at the track on Friday and Saturday.

It's a lot more complicated to do. The sector data is already being used by the application in the traditional live timing screen, so it's a simple matter to compute the "speed" of the dots on the map. Using the GPS data would require additional data being sent at regular intervals (20 continuous feeds would be problematic, I'm sure) so there isn't enough of a practical advantage to make it worthwhile. And judging by the pricing, I don't think they really care all that much about what we want anyway.

#44 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 15:42

From the SoftPauer website;

Why do the car movements not always appear smooth?
The car positions are provided from fixed positions on the circuit. In between those positions we predict where the cars will be which results in changes of speed. The first two laps are hardest to predict. Large changes in average speed e.g safety car or cars pitting will create a similar effect.

I understand the teams have GPS capabilities but I wasn't so sure that FOM did otherwise the live timing feed wouldn't occasionally post a 'stopped' for a car when it was particularly slow behind a safety car and took to long to get to the next timing line.

The teams probably have a much better idea because they have systems which can monitor their own cars and can extrapolate this to all the others when calculating free air for pitstop timing and the like.

Incidentally I notice that one of the names behind Softpauer is Otmar Snafnauer, the ex-Honda F1 man.

#45 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 15:44

IMO the target market for this app are people going to GPs that want an alternative to KangarooTV. I would gladly pay 5 quid to watch live timing during a race on my iPod, even if the app was useless afterwards.

On a side note, does anyone know if there any wifi hotspots around Silverstone?

#46 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 16:20

yeah too bad!
Greedy FOM again! same as the ticket prices all around world! :( :down:

#47 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 18:56

Ahh yes the good old F1 inflation. 20 quid for that piece of rubbish, anything officially endorsed by F1 is a rip off as we all know.

#48 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 19:07

Why do the car movements not always appear smooth?
The car positions are provided from fixed positions on the circuit. In between those positions we predict where the cars will be which results in changes of speed. The first two laps are hardest to predict. Large changes in average speed e.g safety car or cars pitting will create a similar effect.

Sounds to me like they're using the sector times and lap times to predict track position using the java timing data.

So if a pass happens you won't see it in your little map until both cars pass the next sector. I wouldn't pay for this.

#49 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,813 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 19:19

Sounds to me like they're using the sector times and lap times to predict track position using the java timing data.

So if a pass happens you won't see it in your little map until both cars pass the next sector. I wouldn't pay for this.

Let's wait and see eh, with the GPS data they have they could easily split the track into a lot more then 3 sectors without having to send actual GPS coordinates to the handset.

#50 SevenTwoSeven

SevenTwoSeven

• 368 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 22:02

Seems to be getting good reviews on the iphone app review thing. So its £4.99 for one race yet £19.99 for the full thing that works with the forthcoming update for the iphone?? Thats a bit steep for me im afraid as much as id like to see it on my iphone.....