* * * * - 4 votes

OT. SmartPhone live timing apps [merged]

• Please log in to reply
958 replies to this topic

#451 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28

Is Soft Pauer software able to retrieve retroactively official sector timing for each driver on individual laps (three dec. places) over distance of a race? For some time I am toying with an idea to take fresh look in quantitative terms on comparative performance of drivers through the season, if such data are available, and the month of December is inviting time to do just that.

Advertisement

#452 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52

Lap time to three decimal places, but sector time to only one. This is on the iPad. iPhone I think has one decimal place for everything, IIRC.

#453 Red ITC

Red ITC

• 462 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:42

That's some price for an app!

Conventional users of live timing need to keep an eye out for problems with Java. A whole bunch of really bad exploits have become public recently and the FIA timing is served to Java in the browser. Mac users are currently locked out of Java altogether by the system unless they have performed manual updates to the Java engine to later versions than the ones currently disallowed. This may be the case with some AV apps on Windows as well.

#454 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 21:35

I've spent half the past year with the web live timing that was shut down - which was way bettern than the FOM's Java crap. Other half with some alternate android one that was still working come Interlagos.

This year I'll finaly enter the 21st century and ditch my CTRs... Looking for a couple of Samsung 46' or 50' smarts. Anyone knows if it would be possible to get android apps runing pip on those?

#455 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 19:19

Does anybody have any experience with this app?

https://play.google....c3RzLmxpdmUiXQ..

#456 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:46

How about the Unofficial Live F1 Timing app in Google Play.? All I want is the basic timing screen like you get on the F1 website, which I don't believe works on Android tablets?

Edited by roadie, 07 March 2013 - 12:47.

#457 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:23

Thanks roadie, that one looks great. No more scrolling around like with "F1 Livestream" by Kishor Gandham which i used for the last seasons. Seems like he now wants money for that one too, though i guess that's a mistake or something.

I'd suggest that everyone interested gets that app while it's still in the market. Alternative timing apps have a habit of suddenly disappearing after a few weeks.

Edited by dau, 07 March 2013 - 14:24.

#458 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:31

A recent update to the 2013 Sofpauer app gives us sector timings to three decimal places, tyre data including historical over the course of a race, perfect lap times, and twitter integration. Wooo.

#459 okochajj

okochajj

• 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:16

A recent update to the 2013 Sofpauer app gives us sector timings to three decimal places, tyre data including historical over the course of a race, perfect lap times, and twitter integration. Wooo.

this updates is recent ? date of the update ?

Advertisement

#460 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,630 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:24

Thanks roadie, that one looks great. No more scrolling around like with "F1 Livestream" by Kishor Gandham which i used for the last seasons. Seems like he now wants money for that one too, though i guess that's a mistake or something.

I'd suggest that everyone interested gets that app while it's still in the market. Alternative timing apps have a habit of suddenly disappearing after a few weeks.

Also thanks to roadie. Grabbed it and it looks like it does the basics (all I really want, hence why I refuse to hand over £20+ to the wallet-gougers at softpauer / B.Ecclestone). Here's hoping it continues to function for the whole season.

#461 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:26

this updates is recent ? date of the update ?

Last update was just 10 days ago or so. If I remember correctly, the things Buttoneer is talking about were in the previous one, which happened days earlier. In short: February.

#462 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:16

Found the 2012 Soft Pauer app invaluable. Guess it is time to break out the credit card and get the 2013 version as there is just over a week to the Australian GP.

Edited by Ferrari2183, 07 March 2013 - 17:51.

#463 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 973 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:49

How about the Unofficial Live F1 Timing app in Google Play.? All I want is the basic timing screen like you get on the F1 website, which I don't believe works on Android tablets?

Thanks for that!

#464 Gag Bueno

Gag Bueno

• 360 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:57

Thanks a lot, exactly what I needed!

#465 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:25

Cheers.

#466 SB

SB

• 1,791 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:53

Thanks mate ~! :clap:

#467 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:57

I wonder if they fixed the thing where if you weren't watching live it would spoil the result to you right before it was about to play a race back for you...

#468 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,437 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 00:11

As an Android User, there are stupidly easy, unrestricted methods to get the premium 2013 SP app for £0. I can't wait to time shift, Sky go is around 20 seconds behind and it has always bothered me.

#469 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 00:34

As an Android User, there are stupidly easy, unrestricted methods to get the premium 2013 SP app for £0.

I have noticed that ;)

JC

Edited by JeanClaude, 13 March 2013 - 00:35.

#470 icecream

icecream

• 395 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:12

is there anything like this available on the iphone?

anyone have any ideas about the legalities involved here (in regards to using timing data)? i could throw together something for the iphone (if not already available), but probably wont bother if it'd just get pulled down (or not accepted in the first place).

#471 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:23

I'd love to see it, but I guess it wouldn't fly (long) with Apple...

#472 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:34

Or with FOM. That's where you need to be worried about the legalities, not with Apple so much.

#473 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:15

anyone have any ideas about the legalities involved here (in regards to using timing data)? i could throw together something for the iphone (if not already available), but probably wont bother if it'd just get pulled down (or not accepted in the first place).

[...] The material and content provided on the Site is for your personal, non-commercial use only, save where expressly provided, and you agree not for yourself or through or by way of assistance from any third party to distribute copy extract or commercially exploit such material or content. You further agree not to reproduce, distribute, perform, display, modify, adapt, translate, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the site. Except as otherwise indicated, all materials on this Site, including, but not limited to live timing data, historical race data, photographs, other images, illustrations, text, video clips and written and other materials contained in this Site are protected by copyrights, database rights, trademarks and/or other intellectual property rights owned, or used with permission of their owners, by us or our affiliates or associates. This Site as a whole is protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. All rights are reserved.[...] [ http://www.formula1....conditions.html ]

Also, "F1", "Formula 1" etc are registered trademarks, so apps could be pulled on this ground as well. I doubt it would be accepted in the App Store in the first place, but you could try Cydia to reach the jailbroken devices at least.

#474 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:47

Or with FOM. That's where you need to be worried about the legalities, not with Apple so much.

Fom seems to be failing to bring the Android ones down, and from past behaviour from both Apple and Google on such matters I guess Apple would comply at first while Google will play the part of three wise monkeys.

#475 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:55

[...] The material and content provided on the Site is for your personal, non-commercial use only, save where expressly provided, and you agree not for yourself or through or by way of assistance from any third party to distribute copy extract or commercially exploit such material or content. You further agree not to reproduce, distribute, perform, display, modify, adapt, translate, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the site. Except as otherwise indicated, all materials on this Site, including, but not limited to live timing data, historical race data, photographs, other images, illustrations, text, video clips and written and other materials contained in this Site are protected by copyrights, database rights, trademarks and/or other intellectual property rights owned, or used with permission of their owners, by us or our affiliates or associates. This Site as a whole is protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights. All rights are reserved.[...] [ http://www.formula1....conditions.html ]

Also, "F1", "Formula 1" etc are registered trademarks, so apps could be pulled on this ground as well. I doubt it would be accepted in the App Store in the first place, but you could try Cydia to reach the jailbroken devices at least.

I'd say FOM would have a hard time going after reverse ingeneering unless they patent/copyright the data exchange protocol. That's what happened with Autodesk and DWG after decades trying to fight a whole industry built around the file format despite their wishes. Or Ford with after market body pannels and lamps.

Chasing end users that for "themselves or through or by way of assistance from any third party to distribute copy extract" anything might be quite expensive and unproductive also.

#476 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:59

Here's Live Timing App for various platforms (not Apple though)
http://f1lt.pl

It has some useful features such time shift to watch a race with live timing later

JC

#477 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:06

Awesome, thanks!

#478 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:20

Here's Live Timing App for various platforms (not Apple though)
http://f1lt.pl

It has some useful features such time shift to watch a race with live timing later

JC

Last time I used that, the race result popped up first and spoiled the whole order lol :p

#479 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:34

I'd say FOM would have a hard time going after reverse ingeneering unless they patent/copyright the data exchange protocol. That's what happened with Autodesk and DWG after decades trying to fight a whole industry built around the file format despite their wishes. Or Ford with after market body pannels and lamps.

Chasing end users that for "themselves or through or by way of assistance from any third party to distribute copy extract" anything might be quite expensive and unproductive also.

Why would they need to go after reverse engineering when the live timing data itself is copyrighted and not allowed to be "distributed" or "displayed"? Whether they want to go after every timing app is a different question of course. FOM only cares because they sold the licence to Soft-Pauer, who wouldn't be too happy if everyone just used free apps. Shouldn't be much of a problem if it's just simple timing like on the website, but i guess they'd act pretty quickly if apps start to replicate their premium features like time-shift or driver positions. Like F1LT (looks brilliant, btw) does, for example, so i don't think we'll see this one on the market anytime soon.

Advertisement

#480 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,139 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:38

As someone who watches the live timing more than the race footage onscreen, I'm more than happy to pay for the official app. They've made some strong improvements this year as well and it's easily worth the price. It's less than $2 per race when you break it down.

#481 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:42

Because the developper of the application isn't storing and distributing the data. He's only offering a tool to access it, and it's the end user that takes adventage of the information in a way not intended by FOM.

It's like going after the lock pick kit manufacturer for the break in your house.

#482 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:50

Because the developper of the application isn't storing and distributing the data. He's only offering a tool to access it, and it's the end user that takes adventage of the information in a way not intended by FOM.

It's like going after the lock pick kit manufacturer for the break in your house.

But the applications are storing and distributing the data. It's not just a browser window. It's not like going after a generic lock pick kit manufacturer, but rather after someone who makes lock picks specifically for your door and your door only - and even then it's not a good example, is it?

Edit: In F1LT, you need to enter your username/password for F1.com, so you would have a point there i guess. But i was thinking of F1Livestream and similar apps where you don't have to do that.

Edited by dau, 13 March 2013 - 14:53.

#483 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:59

They are all feeding directly from FOM, I'm not sure how they are authenticating. If they run a proxy server FOM can bring that down. If they are using a single user FOM can lock that too. They'll update it with another one or just add an interface for you to log on. All that *IF* the authentication control is done on the data stream side. May be it's user side only (the java applet at formula1.com) and while everyone just skpis it F1LT is just being smarter and looking ahead.

Edited by saudoso, 13 March 2013 - 15:00.

#484 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 15:02

But the applications are storing and distributing the data. It's not just a browser window. It's not like going after a generic lock pick kit manufacturer, but rather after someone who makes lock picks specifically for your door and your door only - and even then it's not a good example, is it?

You can't bring it down unless it's using something you own. If they didn't patent the data protocol they can't do anything about the software using it, EULA stating it or not.

I don't think anyone is distributing data, and the users are storing it at home.

Edited by saudoso, 13 March 2013 - 15:03.

#485 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,677 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 15:05

Softpauer app seems absolutely brilliant on the ipad from trying to the test app. The only thing for me is the price, £23.99 is pricey. Peeves me that the skyf1 app isn't in sync with the tv at the very least.

#486 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 15:39

As an Android User, there are stupidly easy, unrestricted methods to get the premium 2013 SP app for £0. I can't wait to time shift, Sky go is around 20 seconds behind and it has always bothered me.

I need to investigate this, as I too will be using Sky Go (through Xbox)!

#487 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 17:00

My apologies for being thick, but if i load up the premium version the little test session around albert park has no timing information at all, just the map.

If I open the lite version or whatever the free one is called, the live timing (well, for the little demo) is there. Am I being a truly impressive idiot or has something gone wrong? :well:

Edited by ApexMouse, 13 March 2013 - 17:00.

#488 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 17:06

My apologies for being thick, but if i load up the premium version the little test session around albert park has no timing information at all, just the map.

If I open the lite version or whatever the free one is called, the live timing (well, for the little demo) is there. Am I being a truly impressive idiot or has something gone wrong? :well:

Bottom left hand side of the screen there's a small orange circle, use that to toggle between views

JC

#489 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 17:08

Am I being a truly impressive idiot :well:

Bottom left hand side of the screen there's a small orange circle, use that to toggle between views

JC

I know myself very well :lol:

Thankyou jeanclaude.

#490 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 17:16

In your defense it's not the most intuitive app I've ever seen.  ;)

JC

#491 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 19:26

The Soft Pauer app is excellent this year. I haven't yet installed it on my iPad but this is the timing screen I will be using. iPhone 5's longer screen being put to good use here.

Gives the max speed of each driver for a given sector, sector times, and ultimate lap at the top.

Posted Image

#492 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,149 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 19:38

The Soft Pauer app is excellent this year. I haven't yet installed it on my iPad but this is the timing screen I will be using. iPhone 5's longer screen being put to good use here.

Gives the max speed of each driver for a given sector, sector times, and ultimate lap at the top.

Posted Image

Yeah, it will be amazing if it works reliably and without glitches. There will be tons of information in real time. Moreover, there will be information for each set of tyres which is the most exciting feature for me :wave:

#493 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,437 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 19:54

I need to investigate this, as I too will be using Sky Go (through Xbox)!

Drop me a PM! and I have exactly the same set-up!

#494 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 19:57

Yeah, it will be amazing if it works reliably and without glitches. There will be tons of information in real time. Moreover, there will be information for each set of tyres which is the most exciting feature for me :wave:

I found the 2012 app quite reliable. It was only down when the timing on the F1.com website was down.

Of course, much more information is being relayed this year. And yeah, the tyre feature will be good. Going to install it on my iPad tomorrow so in ready for Friday.

#495 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,437 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:05

Am I the only person who thinks it is all very confusing! I don't think there is any settings to turn off certain data, either. :(

#496 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 22:10

Most users of the app want /more/ data, and not less so they probably don't allocate their resources to that feature. Send them an email or something, nothing could be hurt from it.

I guess I'll wait until the practice sessions to see if they fixed the spoiler race results before showing a time delayed race-data recording....instead of test it on a race lol.

#497 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:42

So...yeah. Tested with our wonderful new NBCsports tape delay P1... Not only do the timings not line up (not the app's fault, I know) but as soon as I open the app, a news feed pops up and spoils the fastest time. Upon loading the data, it flashes with the leading times from the end of the session before it starts the session over. Mildly annoying... Meh I guess it's an ok tool to use live during the race when spoilers don't exist....

Am I the only person who thinks it is all very confusing! I don't think there is any settings to turn off certain data, either. :(

Idk if you're going to see this... but the new updates to the app give you different times if you want... You can scroll to the right to make it just Driver's names, sector times, and time behind the leader. Pretty simple, and straight to the point!!!

#498 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:12

So...yeah. Tested with our wonderful new NBCsports tape delay P1... Not only do the timings not line up (not the app's fault, I know) but as soon as I open the app, a news feed pops up and spoils the fastest time. Upon loading the data, it flashes with the leading times from the end of the session before it starts the session over. Mildly annoying... Meh I guess it's an ok tool to use live during the race when spoilers don't exist....

Idk if you're going to see this... but the new updates to the app give you different times if you want... You can scroll to the right to make it just Driver's names, sector times, and time behind the leader. Pretty simple, and straight to the point!!!

Deluxx, I've just tried downloading each session to the app, and when i select each one from the settings bar, the fastest times don't appear, even briefly... the playback of the session starts from the beginning? unsure as to why it would be different for us, is your app running the lastest version? Also, you can switch off the news alerts to avoid possible spoilers in the notifications that pop up in the settings tab. I hope that will be of some use to you :)

Edited by ApexMouse, 15 March 2013 - 15:13.

#499 Bean

Bean

• 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:44

I've used the official timing app since 2011, and the improvements this year are tremendous. The tire information makes it so much simpler to determine what each driver is working on. I can see this being soooo useful in the more chaotic races with lots of varying tire strategies.

I only noticed one issue: Through the first part of P1, it kept showing Vettel with a fastest sector speed of 500kph. If that's true, Renault have NO business saying they're always down on power! :)

Anyway, once again, I feel it's money well spent. I only wish I had an ipad so the info was on a bigger screen.

Advertisement

#500 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,184 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:47

The tyre stints addition was really great. Fantastic app. :up: