* * * * - 4 votes

OT. SmartPhone live timing apps [merged]

• Please log in to reply
958 replies to this topic

#51 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:12

note to self: add OP to the list of users to watch. Timing of the thread was impeccable...

Advertisement

#52 1fastSS

1fastSS

• 626 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:16

I bought it, seems good. Will try it out this weekend and report.

The best feature IMO, is the ability to single out a driver and monitor their progress.

Split times, distance to rivals etc, individually.

The 3d track diagram is cool too.

Oh, and you can replay the previous races at any time.

Edited by 1fastSS, 16 June 2009 - 04:17.

#53 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:30

note to self: add OP to the list of users to watch. Timing of the thread was impeccable...

11 April 2008?

#54 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 14:14

LT and iphone

#55 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 14,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 15:02

LT and iphone

Yes it's the same app we've all been talking about here for the past few days, but cheers for the link in Deutsch.;)

#56 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 15:36

I stay corrected

#57 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 17:00

11 April 2008?

ops, face... fall.. flat :) :blush:

#58 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:21

I bought the season pass for AU$40. So not bad when you think about how many races left.

It seems good, only tried it briefly, the timing screen will be mega! For the life of me, cant work out how to get the info with regards to following a driver specificilly and it showing info on gaining or losing to the guy in front. I was pretty sure i saw it advertised, just cant work out how to see it on the turkey go replay.

#59 1fastSS

1fastSS

• 626 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:09

OK. Running the app on the live timing fro Fp1 and I must say it's great. WAAAAAy better than the F1.com version and defiantly worth the change.

I recomend it. The features are gread. Individual driver lap ties, sector times etc. and an on track representation and position of each driver.

Very gool

:up:

Advertisement

#60 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:58

www.softpauer.com/f1app

supposedly so easy to use, that i could use it.

#61 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 13:04

the timing screen (the one which resembles the traditional timing screen) does not show sector times for me, not properly anyway, only usually shows all 3 sectors when the lap is completed and never in purple or green, only yellow.

#62 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 14,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 23:28

Forget buying this app if you plan on using it at the track, absolutely minimal data coverage at Silverstone on all networks - I'm really glad I didn't shell out for it. It will only be worse at other countries.

#63 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:18

sector times were working properly during qual. Track map is actually very useful!

#64 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 18:43

But the cost...

#65 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 13:18

Brawn GP have released an F1 racing game which looks pretty decent.. Anyone tried it yet?

#66 cmgoodman

cmgoodman

• 65 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:41

Regarding iPhone apps under 2.2x and 3.0x SDK's - native apps are written using a language called Objective C using a set of frameworks called Cocoa Touch. The only way to do the F1 app is to do a cute client server model, where the server can provide a database of track position and other telemetry, which is displayed on the iphone in table form.

One can use GPS data of the cars, which is collected at the track and relayed via the server to the iPhone client. Don't confuse that GPS data with GPS chip found in iPhone 3G and 3G S, which only provides location data for the iPhone itself.

No flash or Java planned this year for the current 3.0x SDK, or anytime in the near future.

As for hybrid webapps using the Safari browser and WebKit framework, see Christopher Allen's great developer book called "iPhone in Action".

Most iPhone apps are sold for less than $10 per device, and one cannot charge for upgrades through the server without selling a separate app. In-app purchase just unlocks content already present on the device. Apple with its control on what gets published on the App store shows tighter control that easily rivals the totalitarian style of Bernie. The pricing of $9 / race is done separate from the Apple App store, again reflecting the client server nature of the app. So one also has to set-up an account with the server to access the race data.

Further info can be found here: http://developer.app...ne/index.action

Edited by cmgoodman, 09 July 2009 - 08:45.

#67 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:14

Forget buying this app if you plan on using it at the track, absolutely minimal data coverage at Silverstone on all networks - I'm really glad I didn't shell out for it. It will only be worse at other countries.

And you can enjoy a rather hefty bill the following month as the networks rape you with their obscene roaming data charges.

#68 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:59

This is a scam, should be investigated

I paid £17.99 for yesterday it and got the update today and I went to Germany and for practice 1 it says (not downloaded) so this software doesn't work, thieves

#69 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:00

"network error"

Data is currently unavailable please try later

Thats what I just got when I tried to download FP1

This company should be closed down its a scam

#70 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 14,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:36

And you can enjoy a rather hefty bill the following month as the networks rape you with their obscene roaming data charges.

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean. :)

Luckily I don't pay my phone bill so it wouldn't matter to me.;)

Edited by se7en_24, 10 July 2009 - 10:37.

#71 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:08

There's a Brawn GP F1 racing app now available for £2.39. Not bought it but it looks pretty good on the static shots and video but no other cars as it's described as a 'driving challenge'. For a limited time you can post entries to win a Mercedes SL which is nice.

#72 weirdNumber

weirdNumber

• 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 14:19

I used the Yamigo app (on my Nokia E71) when I was at Spa. The data coverage was fantastic all around the track (full HSDPA coverage) and the app itself used very little data so even at £1.50/MB for roaming charges it cost me less than a waffle for practice, quali and race timing. Was very happy with it actually :)

#73 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 18:14

I have the F1 app and although it's a little bit pricey it's meant I can get live timing for practice/quali when I'm out and about and has allowed me to watch races with timing in places where I don't have my laptop (on holiday in the US earlier this year). The screen showing the location of cars is also very useful for qualifying to help visualise what each car is up to.

I can also carry it to the kitchen to get another drink and keep track of the action now that there are no ITV advert breaks!

#74 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 00:18

F1 Timing 2010 app now available. UK price is currently £20 for the entire season. It's already been bigged up by what appear to be rent-a-quote 5* reviews before a wheel has turned :lol:

#75 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 507 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 00:24

F1 Timing 2010 app now available. UK price is currently £20 for the entire season. It's already been bigged up by what appear to be rent-a-quote 5* reviews before a wheel has turned :lol:

The official one is free though isn't it? It says here 'Free Download':
http://www.formula1....obile_services/
If you click the link it says it will be available for iPhone, Blackberry and Java based phones.

#76 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 00:34

must be not available yet, could find zilch.

#77 PassWind

PassWind

• 4,827 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 00:42

The official one is free though isn't it? It says here 'Free Download':
http://www.formula1....obile_services/
If you click the link it says it will be available for iPhone, Blackberry and Java based phones.

Well I am in OZ with a 3Gs will investigate DL and report on how it worked out.

#78 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 00:45

It does. The app store one says it's the only 'official' live timing app and there's no sign of the app (yet) of Formula1.com so not sure what is going on. I won't be buying the one that's there at the moment anyway. I may buy it (if it's the only one) for weekends when I'm away from a TV.

#79 Soapy9963

Soapy9963

• 69 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:18

I have a question. Does anyone know that application for the iphone that allows you to see where the cars are on track? Well is there anything like that, that i can get for my laptop?

Advertisement

#80 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 507 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:06

My latest understanding of the app situation is this. The current £20 app available for iPhone is not the official* timing app (this is not to say it is worse than the official one, in fact it may well be better with the premium involved). The official timing app will be free and will be released over the next few days for iPhone, Blackberry and for Java supporting phones. So if you just want a live timing app, very similar to the website one, featuring live times and track conditions, wait for the free one. If you want to pay £20 and see the car positions also, then you can get that now on iPhone. So there is a choice.

* I mean not official in that a third party has produced an app which uses official data. They probably have an agreement to use the F1 data and name.

Edited by plastik2k9, 11 March 2010 - 10:07.

#81 DMatt001

DMatt001

• 121 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:08

£20? Not with me, lol. I have the complete official f1 live timing app gratis :D It works great :D

Edited by DMatt001, 11 March 2010 - 10:10.

#82 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:17

My latest understanding of the app situation is this. The current £20 app available for iPhone is not the official* timing app (this is not to say it is worse than the official one, in fact it may well be better with the premium involved). The official timing app will be free and will be released over the next few days for iPhone, Blackberry and for Java supporting phones. So if you just want a live timing app, very similar to the website one, featuring live times and track conditions, wait for the free one. If you want to pay £20 and see the car positions also, then you can get that now on iPhone. So there is a choice.

* I mean not official in that a third party has produced an app which uses official data. They probably have an agreement to use the F1 data and name.

Good detective work.

One bonus of the paid app is that you can set it running at the beginning of a recorded race and follow the timing on your phone as if you were following live. I'm not clear that this will be the case for the official free app which I would assume is simply a live window.

#83 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:18

Anyone in the states have this? I heard that the app runs up to a whole sector faster than the SpeedTV broadcast due to sat delay. I would use it but i dont want to know what is gonna happen before i SEE it!

#84 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:29

Anyone in the states have this? I heard that the app runs up to a whole sector faster than the SpeedTV broadcast due to sat delay. I would use it but i dont want to know what is gonna happen before i SEE it!

Well the £20 app you will be able to pause until your TV catches up and makes it the best option for you. The free app we just don't know about yet but I suspect it won't have these niceties.

#85 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:52

I thought you could only Pause downloaded already run sessions on the £20 app (of which I love)

OffTopic: http://www.formula1....ive_timing.html Jesus actual Christ at how many phone are trying to look like the iPhone now. The black glass frame, with a silver surround and carved in ear piece and mesh.
This is just why none of them will ever be as innovative. They need to do their OWN thing and stand on merit.

I ACTUALLY thought the LG was an iPhone with LG pasted on for sponsorship reasons...

You can tell which one isn't the clone because it doesn't even need to have it's manufacturer label printed on the front.

Edited by RoutariEnjinu, 11 March 2010 - 10:54.

#86 klyster

klyster

• 4,296 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:13

Technically, they're all LG clones, even the iPhone.

http://en.wikipedia....G_Prada_(KE850)
2006 ;)

#87 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:42

Technically, they're all LG clones, even the iPhone.

http://en.wikipedia....G_Prada_(KE850)
2006 ;)

Not really though, they were announced days apart, and the Prada doesn't have the silver bezel around the outside edge. It has it on the side sitting flush. The ear piece is also just a slot, instead of the carved in style. The picture I linked to, they ALL have that silver bezel, carved in earpiece, and look like the 1st gen iPhone.

This IS off topic, but if there's one thing I hate, it's marketing. The rest are all committee "designed" by marketers.

Edited by RoutariEnjinu, 11 March 2010 - 11:46.

#88 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 508 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:43

I cant see any download link for live timing on this site http://mobile.formul...vices/downloads
Using a N97.

#89 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:49

It says it will be made available before Bahrain race, and to check back often to see if it's released.

#90 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:53

I thought you could only Pause downloaded already run sessions on the £20 app (of which I love)

OffTopic: http://www.formula1....ive_timing.html Jesus actual Christ at how many phone are trying to look like the iPhone now. The black glass frame, with a silver surround and carved in ear piece and mesh.
This is just why none of them will ever be as innovative. They need to do their OWN thing and stand on merit.

I ACTUALLY thought the LG was an iPhone with LG pasted on for sponsorship reasons...

You can tell which one isn't the clone because it doesn't even need to have it's manufacturer label printed on the front.

I believe you are correct about the pause on downloads only. I think SpeedTV was the one that pointed out the delay when they advertised the app. I think it was Machett that said it's great BUT ahead of us.

#91 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:57

It's SLIGHTLY ahead of live UK terrestrial feed too.

#92 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:54

It's SLIGHTLY ahead of live UK terrestrial feed too.

Digital yes, but analogue no. Or rather, less so.

#93 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 13:01

I cant see any download link for live timing on this site http://mobile.formul...vices/downloads
Using a N97.

Me too, can't find any download option :confused:

PS - Nokia users can get the desktop live timing experience through Skyfire - it has flash :cool: :clap:

Edited by RodrigoL, 11 March 2010 - 13:01.

#94 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 13:01

Yeah we figured that out last world cup when next door had analogue and we had digital...

[muffled]YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH[/muffled]

Cool we're going to score! :D

#95 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 507 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 14:12

Yeah we figured that out last world cup when next door had analogue and we had digital...

[muffled]YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH[/muffled]

Cool we're going to score! :D

It happened in our house when Lewis Hamilton passed Glock at Brazil in '08. I was screaming with joy seconds before they knew downstairs. Maybe spoiled the moment for them slightly.

For F1 live timing I usually minimise the live timing on my laptop in the dying moments of Q3 to avoid spoiling the moment.

Edited by plastik2k9, 11 March 2010 - 14:13.

#96 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,446 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 14:14

It happened in our house when Lewis Hamilton passed Glock at Brazil in '08. I was screaming with joy seconds before they knew downstairs. Maybe spoiled the moment for them slightly.

Or rather they thought you had morphed into a Massa fan.

#97 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 507 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 14:23

Or rather they thought you had morphed into a Massa fan.

Yes especially in that confusion period where Ferrari were celebrating :rotfl:

#98 gaditano

gaditano

• 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:38

The site is now down due to maintenance.

http://mobile.formula1.com/

I hope they have already finished the apps and are uploading the download links :)

Edited by gaditano, 11 March 2010 - 16:41.

#99 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,600 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 16:54

BTW, it seems F1.com dropped all the accounts. I was checking on the live timing and wasn't able to login. The site accepted a new registration under the same email address. I'm still waiting for the confirmation email.

Advertisement

#100 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 507 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 17:46

The app has been released, it's 933kB for the Nokia 5800 version (Java). Sadly I can't get past the login screen, because it cannot lose focus from the entry fields so any touch of the screen results in more characters being typed. Well at least they tried :lol:

EDIT: Ok, I managed to use the 'try' feature which lets you use it without registering. Seems fairly solid; it has a home screen with a live session countdown and session times, a live timing screen (currently empty), a season calendar, and championship standings.

Futher observations.. the help section suggests track data will be available, like temperature. You can also see a countdown to any grand prix in the year for whatever reason. The 'races' tab might include results of all the sessions too by the looks of how it is structured. So it looks like it will be a very useful app, not just for live timing but for keeping track of the season on the go, without using any dodgy mobile websites. Also, you cannot exit the application.

Edited by plastik2k9, 11 March 2010 - 17:57.