What if it was a driver ?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Cosworth-Daz

Cosworth-Daz

• 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:28

Well i know we have had enough topics about mosley etc,

But What if it was a formula 1 driver who had been caught up in such a thing(spankgate),
What do you think would happen? would his team drop him?
Would he be punished by the FIA??

what would happen in gereral???

Advertisement

#2 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji

• 664 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:30

First off, he could kiss his Sponsors goodbye

#3 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,793 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:36

Pretty much anyone in a 'high profile' position in F1 would be gone by now be it driver, team owner or commentator.

If Max does stay he is setting an extremely uncomfortable precedent in my opinion.

#4 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:37

Originally posted by Georg_Kuyumji

ah, but what if... his sponsors were "Johnson's horsewhips" and "Crazy Otto's Nazi attire"?

#5 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:42

The whole competition is about status. So to be in that position of humiliation, such a pathetic and nasty fantasy, would be the end for a driver. Instantly and completely.

#6 santori

santori

• 4,107 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:45

Originally posted by se7en_24

If Max does stay he is setting an extremely uncomfortable precedent in my opinion.

An admirable one in mine.

#7 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:47

Originally posted by Villes Gilleneuve

ah, but what if... his sponsors were "Johnson's horsewhips" and "Crazy Otto's Nazi attire"?

That would at least cause horses to get banned from F1.

I wish Mosley would've left by now. These topics suck big time. As a race fan i hate to read or know about all this.

#8 santori

santori

• 4,107 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:49

Originally posted by Cosworth-Daz

But What if it was a formula 1 driver who had been caught up in such a thing(spankgate),

It would depend on the driver, unfortunately. Top drivers who are in demand might be fine, backmarkers trying to find a seat probably wouldn't be.

#9 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:52

I wish Mosley would've left by now. These topics suck big time. As a race fan i hate to read or know about all this.

What would we talk about then? the high level of (snicker) competition?

Max should stay, and this will all be forgotten in a year. Look at what Schumacher did to Hill and Villeneuve, and he's still regarded as the greatest, best etc.

#10 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 20:54

That person would be gone sooner
That person would be defended alot more staunchly

#11 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:12

Originally posted by Georg_Kuyumji

Unles he was sponsored by Durex or Sensalube, or something of the like

#12 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:13

Kimi was caught in similar situation, he was masturbating in a disco.Not surprisingly most of us were :rotfl:

#13 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:16

and what exactly did MS do to JV??? what did JV lose?? And MS vs DH - justice prevealed, it would be gross if DH won 94 WDC, he simply didn't deserve it.

btw how come Max is associated with F1 and not, say, with WRC???

#14 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:18

An F1 driver? paying to be spanked?

Do be serious, they wouldn't have to pay...there would be a queue of pretty girls lining up around the block for that dubious pleasure :lol:

#15 StefanV

StefanV

• 1,214 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:21

Originally posted by Nuvol
Kimi was caught in similar situation, he was masturbating in a disco.Not surprisingly most of us were :rotfl:

Never heard of that.

#16 Go_Scotty_Go!

Go_Scotty_Go!

• 455 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:24

Eddie Irvine seemed to do just fine... :wave:

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,726 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:27

Originally posted by Chiara
An F1 driver? paying to be spanked?

It worked for Lavaggi, Inoue and countless others...

#18 mowaru

mowaru

• 279 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:34

Originally posted by Nuvol

:eek:

#19 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:48

Originally posted by StefanV

Never heard of that.

I believe Kimster and his buddies were having some good time in London (?). One of the strip...uh, waitresses claimed KR took out his willie. Others, including owners of that club, denied this never happened. Considering that lady was defitenitely paid for the story, I wouldn´t simply take her word for it.

Advertisement

#20 FLB

FLB

• 29,669 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:48

These guys never have been exactly saints.

DC had a crash a couple of years ago in Monaco. He supposedly had 8 girls riding in his car and lost control when a girl decided to sit on his lap while he was driving. The antics of James Hunt are legendary. There's an anecdote in one of Rainier Schlegelmilch's about Ronnie Peterson, an air stewardess and a garden hose. Nelson Piquet (Sr.) saw multiple women at the same time: he had four kids from three women.

Enzo Ferrari's son Piero was the result of a long-term affair with his secretary, Lina Lardi. Stirling Moss was a reknown skirt chaser. Mike Hawthorn had an illegitimate daughter.

If Spankgate had involved a driver, people would have laughed it off.

#21 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:54

Tomas Scheckter lost his Jaguar ride merely because of solicitation -- kerb crawling -- back in '02. Illegal, yes, but somehow lacking the sordidness of the Mosley affair.

#22 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:55

It can hurt the career of an aspiring hopeful, as Scheckter jr. can witness.

The likes of Kimi, Lewis or Fernando will get away with it, they're too valuable. Even if they're sacked by team, another top team will gladly pick them up.

Unless, of course, they'll get mentally ragged by the media hysteria.
But there's not much chance for that to happen - they're on top partly just because of their mental strength.

#23 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 22:00

Originally posted by FLB

DC had a crash a couple of years ago in Monaco. He supposedly had 8 girls riding in his car and lost control when a girl decided to sit on his lap while he was driving. The antics of James Hunt are legendary. There's an anecdote in one of Rainier Schlegelmilch's about Ronnie Peterson, an air stewardess and a garden hose. Nelson Piquet (Sr.) saw multiple women at the same time: he had four kids from three women.

Enzo Ferrari's son Piero was the result of a long-term affair with his secretary, Lina Lardi. Stirling Moss was a reknown skirt chaser. Mike Hawthorn had an illegitimate daughter.

And then there's Alain Prost, caught shagging the wife of his team boss - by that same team boss (Zandvoort 1983).
Didn't really hurt his career either.

#24 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 22:02

Originally posted by FLB

It's been a common excuse for Max that what he was doing was just "sex". It wasn't. It was degradation, humiliation, pain, dominance, subjugation, relationships based on the abuse of power. And the taking of pleasure in those.

#25 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 22:05

Originally posted by undersquare
It's been a common excuse for Max that what he was doing was just "sex". It wasn't. It was degradation, humiliation, pain, dominance, subjugation, relationships based on the abuse of power. And the taking of pleasure in those.

a.k.a., "marriage."

#26 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 22:08

Originally posted by Scudetto

a.k.a., "marriage."

:rotfl: OK. I was getting a bit serious :blush:

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,726 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 22:10

Originally posted by scheivlak

And then there's Alain Prost, caught shagging the wife of his team boss - by that same team boss (Zandvoort 1983).
Didn't really hurt his career either.

Prost was just lucky that Watson didn't sign the contract he was initially offered. Being sacked by Renault, with no immediate recourse at Mclaren, could've been an absolute disaster in career terms.

#28 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 22:22

Originally posted by Risil

Prost was just lucky that Watson didn't sign the contract he was initially offered. Being sacked by Renault, with no immediate recourse at Mclaren, could've been an absolute disaster in career terms.

In that case I think he could get any other team, Williams, Lotus, Ferrari, you name it. And would have landed at the right seat at the right time eventually. It almost always works that way with the really greats.

Prost in a Williams 85-86-87, now that's a thought....

#29 jimm

jimm

• 3,228 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:46

Ask Thomas Sheckter. I believe his career in Europe was ruined by a prostitute scandle.

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:07

Sheckter actually got hauled into court over it, which is a problem. He was also driving for Jaguar which was more than a little image conscious. They had sponsors like HSBC at the time. In some ways more corporate than McLaren. I also get the impression they weren't that keen to keep him.

#31 Flex

Flex

• 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:21

So, what exactly is solicitation? Is that picking up a girl off the street that you have to pay for?

#32 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:04

Originally posted by Flex
So, what exactly is solicitation? Is that picking up a girl off the street that you have to pay for?

It depends where you live.

In the US solicitation is an offence where by you offer money with the sole intent of inducing another to commit a crime.

In the UK soliciting refers to loitering or soliciting services in a public place for the purpose of prostitution. It is not necessary that the person actually commit the crime, nor is it necessary that the person solicited be willing or able to commit the crime. A prostitute for example can be charged with soliciting if she is found to be in a public place where it it commonly known prostitutes offer their services, without actually having offered her services to anyone. The onus is then on her to prove she wasn't working.

Kerb crawling is the act of driving very slowly along a roadside with the intent to solicit street prostitutes for sex.

#33 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:11

Originally posted by Cosworth-Daz

F1 drivers do not represent the whole sport, so I don't think the FIA would have anything to do with it. It would be up to his team and sponsors if they can accept such behaviour or not and drop him.

But I think he would have to be a very good driver not to be dropped by his team. F1 sponsors today are not amused by deviant behaviour. Wasn't Tomas Enge's F1 career over before it started because of his drug scandal? I don't think he was banned from F1 after that, but nobody wanted to touch him in F1 any more.

#34 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:58

No point in discussion past indiscretions by our sporting heroes because none of them, not even inflatable dolphin shagging, compare with this.

1. Married with kids, so it was adulterous and embarrassing for them.
2. Prostitution. Not just one or two, but five.
3. Spanking. Until the skin breaks. Ouch.
4. German military uniforms/Nazi theme (I'm not going to debate this point)
5. Prison theme.
6. A nice cup of Earl Grey.

In todays image conscious world of F1 I really cannot see how a driver would survive this scandal. The team (even Red Bull) would most likely shit itself, the sponsors would be on the phone, and there would be variously more or less press coverage depending on whether it was Fernando Alonso or Vitantonio Liuzzi, etc.

The driver would not have been allowed into Bahrain, and would probably choose to drop out of a few races until things died down so he would become useless to the team anyway. There's just too much fallout.

All IMHO, of course.

#35 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:04

Originally posted by se7en_24
Pretty much anyone in a 'high profile' position in F1 would be gone by now be it driver, team owner or commentator.

I don't think so. FIA official yes, commentator yes, team owner or a good driver no. The way I see it this crap only affects those whose value is mainly either political or financial. A team owner or a good driver would get financially hurt, but not fired because they add value that is not easily replaced nor is their job performance dependant on reputation, unlike a politician (FIA) or a salesman (commentator). A pay driver would be fired.

In truth it shouldn't matter in anyone's case. What we are witnessing is the stupidity and emphasis on image over substance that plagues the anglo-saxon culture and is spread over the whole world due to the dominance of the anglo-saxon media.

#36 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:16

Somehow, I don't see an F1 driver needing to pay hookers to do whatever he wants them to. Any F1 driver can have their pick of girls. Even the really ugly ones.

#37 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:58

Originally posted by Josta
Somehow, I don't see an F1 driver needing to pay hookers to do whatever he wants them to. Any F1 driver can have their pick of girls. Even the really ugly ones.

Not that I've ever been to one but....not everybody pays a hooker because they cannot pull themselves. Plenty of high profile footballers been caught with hookers. Perhaps it is because, although you are constantly in demand, if your particular fetish for being whipped/ shat on or whatever is a bit weird or nasty, you might still have an unsatisfied lust that most of the girls who throw themselves at you would be unwilling to perform...or be even more likely to go to the papers with.

#38 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:14

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Sheckter actually got hauled into court over it, which is a problem. He was also driving for Jaguar which was more than a little image conscious. They had sponsors like HSBC at the time. In some ways more corporate than McLaren. I also get the impression they weren't that keen to keep him.

It's possibly the last bit that is the key. Had Michael Schumacher been caught in this sort of think I don't reckon Ferrari would have sacked him, but if it was a test driver who wasn't really rated as a prospect
anyway - say de la Rosa at McLaren then I reckon bye-bye.

In Scheckter's case, wasn't it also a company car which gave Jaguar another get out - misuse of company property or something?

#39 madraykin

madraykin

• 141 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:27

Originally posted by Buttoneer
No point in discussion past indiscretions by our sporting heroes because none of them, not even inflatable dolphin shagging, compare with this.

1. Married with kids, so it was adulterous and embarrassing for them.
2. Prostitution. Not just one or two, but five.
3. Spanking. Until the skin breaks. Ouch.
4. German military uniforms/Nazi theme (I'm not going to debate this point)
5. Prison theme.
6. A nice cup of Earl Grey.

In todays image conscious world of F1 I really cannot see how a driver would survive this scandal. The team (even Red Bull) would most likely **** itself, the sponsors would be on the phone, and there would be variously more or less press coverage depending on whether it was Fernando Alonso or Vitantonio Liuzzi, etc.

The driver would not have been allowed into Bahrain, and would probably choose to drop out of a few races until things died down so he would become useless to the team anyway. There's just too much fallout.

All IMHO, of course.

But would the Nazi part stick to a driver in the same way?

I just can't see that it would really. None of the (current) drivers really have any dubious connections, and making the connection would be tenuous at best.

Advertisement

#40 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:29

Originally posted by HSJ

In truth it shouldn't matter in anyone's case. What we are witnessing is the stupidity and emphasis on image over substance that plagues the anglo-saxon culture and is spread over the whole world due to the dominance of the anglo-saxon media.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah but this scandal isn't just image to most people, it IS substance. The measure of a man is supposed to be his actions across his entire life not just at the office.

If Anglo Saxon culture means an aversion to sicko depraved sex like this little dungeon scene then great. I'll stand up for Anglo Saxon. Of course the media are only interested in a buck but that doesn't automatically make the scandal invalid.

Anglo Saxon media domination - pleeease! People can think for themselves some of the time at least and they don't like what they have seen.

#41 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:37

Originally posted by jimm
Ask Thomas Sheckter. I believe his career in Europe was ruined by a prostitute scandle.

Just been reading an old thread about him. At least he didn't try to squirm out of it. He tells it like it is.

http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=1

#42 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:40

If it was a top driver i dont think it would matter, some one lower? they may be out of a ride

#43 geGR

geGR

• 1,749 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:01

Just been reading an old thread about him. At least he didn't try to squirm out of it. He tells it like it is.

http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=1

After reading that interview, I confess to being rather glad that his career was ruined.

#44 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:16

Originally posted by geGR

After reading that interview, I confess to being rather glad that his career was ruined.

Why? That is exactly the sort of driver comments I like hearing. Like hearing James Hunt or Eddie Irvine.

#45 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:20

Originally posted by madraykin

But would the Nazi part stick to a driver in the same way?

I just can't see that it would really. None of the (current) drivers really have any dubious connections, and making the connection would be tenuous at best.

I think probably the other parts would be problem enough, but it is a judgement call, I agree. The adultery, prostitution, cup of tea. Any one of those could get you into trouble but together would create difficult sponsorship issues (IMO).

One example - Hamleys sponsorship for Williams? Santander, RBS or ING? I think all would be quite sex-scandal-phobic.

#46 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:20

I think it's funny that a few years ago there were pictures of Flavio, Fisi and Alonso in a pool together. I personally wouldn't do such a photoshoot with two other guys like that. You get my drift...

Interesting that all of their careers have eventually gone to the crapper ever since...

#47 geGR

geGR

• 1,749 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:29

Why? That is exactly the sort of driver comments I like hearing. Like hearing James Hunt or Eddie Irvine.

:) .I am sorry, I just can't bear to hear a man talking this way about women, regardless of whether he is a race driver. This is solely my personal opinion, of course.

#48 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:40

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

I think the FIA too needs to be sponsored in the future by huge multinational corporations.... that will at least keep the office clean.

#49 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:27

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

I think the FIA too needs to be sponsored in the future by huge multinational corporations.... that will at least keep the office clean.

Sure. Toyota people would hire more bodyguards for Max to keep paparazzis away, while their own executives play school girl fantasies behind closed doors.

;)

#50 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:27

Originally posted by geGR

:) .I am sorry, I just can't bear to hear a man talking this way about women, regardless of whether he is a race driver. This is solely my personal opinion, of course.

It about time we got rid of the women's voting right don't you think ?:rotfl: