IndyCar - Motegi race

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#101 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,516 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 14:56

Originally posted by xflow7

That's always been the biggest problem with the Danica sensation - the media frenzy is, if anything, to the detriment of the sport in the eyes of its core audience. That's not to discredit Danica, the accomplishment, or even the significance of it in the least. But focusing so heavily on the one driver during the race broadcast does nothing but risk alienating significant numbers of people *who are already watching*! It doesn't do a damn thing to magically attract the people who aren't watching. Leave it to the mainstream media to pick up the Danica story and obsess over it, but the dedicated motorsports commentary and jouralism circles ought to focus on continuing to report on the sport as a whole and be content with a tip their hat to the accomplishment.

:up:

I have no problem with Danica the racer...shes certainly not my favorite, nor my most hated...but the media overload drives me effing crazy...as somebody already said it's the same with Lewis. I hear then name and cringe, just like a good Pavlov trained animal :D

CC

Advertisement

#102 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:09

All right folks, let's face the fact that's she legitimate news. She's good looking, talented, and now that's she's in the right equipment, a threat, at least on the ovals, any weekend. A woman winning a race at this level deserves to draw attention, and when it helps the league draw new fans, we're all the better for it.

I find fascinating the level of derision she attracts from some on this forum. She made it all 800 turns last night, unlike one highly touted teammate who, in the same equipment, failed to negotiate turn number 1. She can make it out of the pits without breaking halfshafts. She doesn't park the car on road courses, complaining about handling, like said teammate repeatedly did on ovals. Yet she's just lucky (a fuel economy win) and Marco Andretti draws speculation about when he's leaving for F1. Incredible.

#103 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,024 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:10

That's always been the biggest problem with the Danica sensation - the media frenzy is, if anything, to the detriment of the sport in the eyes of its core audience. That's not to discredit Danica, the accomplishment, or even the significance of it in the least. But focusing so heavily on the one driver during the race broadcast does nothing but risk alienating significant numbers of people *who are already watching*! It doesn't do a damn thing to magically attract the people who aren't watching. Leave it to the mainstream media to pick up the Danica story and obsess over it, but the dedicated motorsports commentary and jouralism circles ought to focus on continuing to report on the sport as a whole and be content with a tip their hat to the accomplishment.

Well said. :up:

#104 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:12

The race is currently being reaired in the States on ESPN2.

#105 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:34

Red Stick, you are right on.

On another note, anyone taking this away from her for being a "full economy win" is a bit ridiculous, as almost ALL USOW races come down to who can conserve fuel or mitigate cautions properly. A LOT of wins come down to this- see Dixon/Franchitti last year. She won, fair and square, by staying with the top 6 all night.

Originally posted by Bumper
Did I hear the commentator say "she's now the new Anna Kournikova of open wheel racing"? :drunk:

No, he said now she WON'T be.

Edit: Sorry, it was already covered!

#106 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:55

Guys, It's ok, that's exactly what OW raing in US needs. First the unification, then young Graham, and now Danica! Mind you two home grown drivers won!

Hey, if that's what it takes to get the interest back to OW here in the states. So be it.

I don't mind they interview the mom, dad, uncle, cousins...etc. They should have followed her to the locker room, to the shower..............

She should be on Letterman, Good morning America, Regis,. cover on SI...............promote the hell out of it, get kids back on karting.

#107 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 16:23

Originally posted by Slyder

What are you talking about? Buddy won that race fair and square, he was the fastest car the whole month and he drove his heart out in that car to make it to victory. The fact that he got shafted by the whole Danica crap at Rahal has nothing to do with the fact that he deserved the win. And let's not forget that he was a championship contender that year until he was placed on his roof at Chicagoland.

Rice can do the job, but too bad that he's been screwed around and ultimately left to be in a POS D&R car.

Regarding Danica, well, she gambled and it paid off. As much as I hate her, to finish first you must finish and she did just that.

The downside now will be the fact that Danicamania will be on for the next five months.

Didn't he win it during a rain delay when the car was "parked" and all drivers under umbrellas ? How many times could the Andretti's have won it that way ?

shaggy

#108 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,884 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 16:24

You obviously didn't watch the race if you think that's how Rice won. Rahal-Letterman were a standout team that year, not just at Indy.

#109 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,170 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 16:44

Take that Danica bashers. :clap:

#110 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 16:51

To finish first, first you must finish - Well done Danica, and up yours all you misogynistic idiots who won't give credit where credit is due................................

#111 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 816 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 16:53

I am very happy that she won - it was a good win, a smart win and it takes that monkey off her back.

Mostly though, I am happy for my daughter who is 9 and a Danica fan. She "gets" that women can compete with men and win and the Danica win made her very happy.

At the second US GP at Indy that we attended, I made her a t-shirt that showed, on the front, the cockpit of the current McLaren with the caption "A womans place..." and on the back was Danica Patrick in her Indycar, with the caption "...is in the cockpit."

#112 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:09

Originally posted by IOU 16

No! She has a legit shot at winning. All the cars could crash out and she could come back from 2 laps down to win. Well, maybe not, as she'd be the one to crash all the cars out.

Posted Image

#113 Fausta

Fausta

• 397 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:39

The feed was from Japan and the post race coverage of here waving as see was driven around the track was Japanese coverage and not US coverage. You can her the Japanese announce going mad after she won.
It is just nice to see someone win who wanted it so bad and was trying very hard. For me that is what is great.
It is funny as it just happened to be the only Indy Car race I ever taped!

#114 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,884 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:40

I've always loved the PR angle that Danica really wants to win, apparently more so than anyone else on any grid she contests.

#115 Fausta

Fausta

• 397 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:49

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
I've always loved the PR angle that Danica really wants to win, apparently more so than anyone else on any grid she contests.

I meant it is nice to see ANY driver win for the first time.
This board has a real problem with people trying to find negative with everything someone else says.
They should get government jobs!

#116 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,630 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 17:50

maybe because shes female, would be a big step to prove women are as capable as men, or something.

something greater than a personal/team desire to win.

grats to her :up:

#117 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 18:39

those of us round here in the area of Roscoe, IL have nothing else to say but congrats to danica.

#118 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,245 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 18:48

Originally posted by CWeil
Red Stick, you are right on.

On another note, anyone taking this away from her for being a "full economy win" is a bit ridiculous, as almost ALL USOW races come down to who can conserve fuel or mitigate cautions properly. A LOT of wins come down to this- see Dixon/Franchitti last year. She won, fair and square, by staying with the top 6 all night.

No, he said now she WON'T be.

Edit: Sorry, it was already covered!

And actually she is, Kournikova did win 1 tournament ;)

#119 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 20:01

Originally posted by Fausta

They should get government jobs!

Already got one of them. Rather not have another.

And actually she is, Kournikova did win 1 tournament

She didn't win a men's tournament though, did she....

By the by, I did a very long piece on female racing drivers a few months back -here

Advertisement

#120 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 20:18

Originally posted by Haddock

She didn't win a men's tournament though, did she....

Well, that would be difficult without surgery. In winning a tournament, she had to go through many matches. Sort of like a championship. So a race = a match. A tournament = a championship. Lets come back when she manages to win more than a lucky fuel strategy decided race.

#121 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 20:21

Originally posted by Dudley

And actually she is, Kournikova did win 1 tournament ;)

Haha, fair enough- I hate tennis.

#122 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 21:08

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck
Do you think when (if) Ed Carpenter wins his first race that he'll get the same media response? If anybody thought the ridiculous media coverage of her was bad before....now it's gonna be really bad. She'll be a contender for every race from 10th position 1 lap down.

Oh well.

CC

Yeah, scion of wealthy racing family and series owner wins race. The Sports Illustrated cover story almost writes itself, doesn't it? :D

Between the Rahal win and this there's a tremendous opportunity for American open-wheel to get back before the public. Two charismatic Americans winning. They're not Jeff Gordon and Earnhardt Junior yet but could the beginning of unification have turned out any better? Indycar should promote this like there's no tomorrow.

#123 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 21:17

Yes, God forbid we in the Indycar community should overplay this. The "core audience" lately is good for TV ratings in the fractions, Graham Rahal's car going unsponsored, and races on ESPN Classic. Want to be back on ABC? Have meaningful sponsorship? Begin to think about threatening NASCAR's popularity again? Let's underplay the biggest PR gift a struggling series could ask for!

#124 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,036 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 21:36

Originally posted by red stick

Yes, God forbid we in the Indycar community should overplay this. The "core audience" lately is good for TV ratings in the fractions, Graham Rahal's car going unsponsored, and races on ESPN Classic. Want to be back on ABC? Have meaningful sponsorship? Begin to think about threatening NASCAR's popularity again? Let's underplay the biggest PR gift a struggling series could ask for!

Explain to me how *any* hoopla done *during* the race broadcast attracts any new viewers. New viewers next week = people who weren't watching this week; i.e. they didn't see it anyway.

As I said, let the mainstream media run with the story to attract the new viewers. The race broadcast team can and should note the importance of any driver's first win, but their job is still to report on the *whole* series.

#125 Keir

Keir

• 5,214 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:02

Will Ed Carpenter get this much coverage when and if he wins his first race ??

Do the words "Don't get it" mean anything anymore ???

For those of you brickheads out there, just sulk, stamp your feet and hold your breath.

The rest of us will revel in a little bit of history.

#126 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,461 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:24

AirTrans to have a picture of her on side of the airplanes for remainder of IRL season.

#127 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:28

Congrats to Danica on her first big win :up:

#128 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 00:05

Explain to me how *any* hoopla done *during* the race broadcast attracts any new viewers. New viewers next week = people who weren't watching this week; i.e. they didn't see it anyway.

You're right as far as you go; you're already watching. The casual fan, however, who saw SI, or an ad, or has heard of her in passing and whose interest is piqued, may or may not use his remote to move on to the next thing up the cable lineup. Evidently mentioning her has some role in keeping eyeballs glued to whatever forsaken part of the cable landscape Indycar inhabits.

#129 Collective

Collective

• 1,083 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 00:21

Originally posted by CWeil

Haha, fair enough- I hate tennis.

Nope, Kournikova won a total of 0 (zero) WTA singles tournaments. She won tons of doubles ones, though, mainly because Martina Hingis was her partner.

Great for Danica!! Finally a win! Now go an promote Indy Car! Go an promote!

#130 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 00:43

Jeff Olson's take at SpeedTV is worth reading.

http://auto-racing.s...danicas-moment/

#131 jhodges

jhodges

• 1,402 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:33

:up: :up: Grats, Danica!

#132 genespleen

genespleen

• 342 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:38

Originally posted by red stick
Jeff Olson's take at SpeedTV is worth reading.

http://auto-racing.s...danicas-moment/

It's nice to read a racing journalist who writes intelligently about gender and sport. Thanks for the link.

#133 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:46

Not a follower of the series but this win comes at such a great time, they will ramp up the hype and it will work.

I was quite curious though about the weight ruling, didn't they change the ruling so that the weight limit included the driver meaning everyone was on an equal footing? If so, even better for Danica.

#134 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,516 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:49

Originally posted by Yellowmc
Not a follower of the series but this win comes at such a great time, they will ramp up the hype and it will work.

I was quite curious though about the weight ruling, didn't they change the ruling so that the weight limit included the driver meaning everyone was on an equal footing? If so, even better for Danica.

Yes, car+driver weighed together now.

CC

#135 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:11

Originally posted by Crazy Canuck

Yes, car+driver weighed together now.

CC

Cheers, I wasn't sure whether the rule was actually being enforced at this event, I previously thought it would be introduced at the next event.

Even better for her then. She had no advantage and still beat the boys.

#136 shaggy

shaggy

• 1,661 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:48

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
You obviously didn't watch the race if you think that's how Rice won. Rahal-Letterman were a standout team that year, not just at Indy.

I don't watch ovals. But, iirc on the news he was shown lapping under yellow and then the announcement came that the race had ended and he had won. There were 50 laps left or so. I am not necessarily taking anything away from Rice, but, again, the Andrettis have led numerous times with less than 50 laps and have lost in the end (wasn't Marco leading with only 1 lap left ?).

shaggy

#137 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,024 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:56

Originally posted by shaggy

I don't watch ovals. But, iirc on the news he was shown lapping under yellow and then the announcement came that the race had ended and he had won. There were 50 laps left or so. I am not necessarily taking anything away from Rice, but, again, the Andrettis have led numerous times with less than 50 laps and have lost in the end (wasn't Marco leading with only 1 lap left ?).

shaggy

Rice dominated the entire month, which was obvious to people actually watching.

#138 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:12

Originally posted by shaggy

I don't watch ovals.

If you don't watch or even pay close attention, why are you even hazarding such an accusatory, defamatory opinion? You don't think that's a wee bit ridiculous?

#139 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:33

Surprised nobody's mentioned it, but it was a good weekend for female racing drivers all round.

Just a few hours after Danica's win, Simona Di Silvestro became only the second woman ever to win an Atlantic race over at Long Beach - and against a more than decently competitive field too.

Advertisement

#140 Ben

Ben

• 3,181 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:37

Originally posted by genespleen

It's nice to read a racing journalist who writes intelligently about gender and sport. Thanks for the link.

Bloody intelligent article - rightly exposing the double standards Patrick is victim to.

Ben

#141 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:40

Originally posted by Haddock
Surprised nobody's mentioned it, but it was a good weekend for female racing drivers all round.

Just a few hours after Danica's win, Simona Di Silvestro became only the second woman ever to win an Atlantic race over at Long Beach - and against a more than decently competitive field too.

During Nationwide race in Mexico, it has been mentioned that Jamie Little (ESPN pitlane reporter) also won a Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race over Mike Skinner.

So, :clap:

#142 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:21

Ah man, im well happy for Patrick, she deserves this victory, she done a bloody good job, one thing tho, what the hell is that hay barrel she got on the podium about? lol

#143 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:57

Danica.......she f**king rocks! I am over the moon that she did it. She deserved it.

That trophy they gave her was a tad on the large side, though. Almost as big as her!

#144 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 13:03

I love this shot..

http://gallery.autos...-webb-mot0883-3

#145 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,877 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 13:08

^ :lol: That is brilliant. Talk about the cat getting the cream, so to speak.

#146 Rob

Rob

• 8,133 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 14:26

Lets spare a thought for Desiré Wilson, who won a Formula One race and who has conveniently been forgotten by the media.

#147 jondoe955

jondoe955

• 498 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 15:09

Good for Danica. Unfortunately, the next monkey on her back is 'when will you win... again'.
Glad she got it, sorry I missed it (CC on ESPN2, irl on Espn Classic... ugh!). Should have looked it up.
I emailed espn to see if they were rerunning the race, as they had nothing on their site announcing it. And their show schedule had all the infomercials and 'best damn' nonsense, but no Montegi. They may have already rerun it. The LB race is on Classic this afternoon... the one I did see.

All drivers like to see someone win their first race, possibly even if it's Danica. The smiles are less sincere for their second win :)

Oh... Add espn commentator Jamie Little to the weekend's winning females, winning the Toyota Pro-Celebrity race. ;)

#148 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 15:27

Desire also won World Championship sports car races with De Cadanet.

#149 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 15:38

Originally posted by Rob
Lets spare a thought for Desiré Wilson, who won a Formula One race and who has conveniently been forgotten by the media.

Indeed. Very talented. She had probably around a dozen starts in CART as well, with Wysard and then the Machinists Union. Had a very big crash at Pocono as I recall. Hit the wall a ton but walked away.

...don't know how many remember the walls at Pocono, but they were iron plate. When a car hit it made a noise like a train wreck and a great cloud of red dust (rust) would rise in the air. So anyone stepping into that arena at the time needed to be a bit fearless as well as skilled.

A few years ago when she first appeared on the scene I had a talk with Alan Wilson (track designer, did Barber, Miller, Gingerman) who spoke highly of Danica and was very encouraged by the rising prospects for women in motorsports.

#150 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,112 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 16:05

Dave Despain's Take 2
(after the obligatory Smoke advert)

Jp

EDIT: Werdon ruv 15dalla gut bomb