Photo

Where to watch GP2 in 2008?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 16:28

I know ITV4 will broadcast it in the UK, but will there be any other channels to broadcast GP2 this season?
I didn't see it in Eurosport's coverage so it looks like we can't watch it this year. :down:

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 17:16

Eurosport won't broadcast it anymore, it's confirmed.

Over here in Portugal SportTV will broadcast it, but I have no idea yet on if it's going to be live or delayed.

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 17:53

got a feeling itv(4) might stream it on the web, notsure...

#4 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 13:49

A German TV channel, Premiere, is going to broadcast it. However, it's pay-per-view. I was shocked to hear that there would be no coverage on Eurosport. :down:

#5 elia37

elia37

• 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 15:20

It's a shame it's not on Eurosport any more :down:

The scheduling on ITV4 might be a bit more reliable though

#6 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 15:28

I got the impression during the Bahrain GP weekend that Eurosport looked to have an unrivalled GP weekend package (excluding the F1 of course) as Sunday morning featured Speedcar (which admittedly was boring and also wouldn't be running during the F1 season after that race), Porsche Supercup and GP2.

Now they don't have GP2 I suspect they won't show the Supercup either. They're hardly going to send a crew to every F1 race just to cover that.

What a pity.

ITV4 meanwhile will, I suspect, most probably piss about with the format and broadcast times of GP2 until it is unrecognisable. If they decide that yet more repeats of ****ing Coronation Street or some similar shite would pull in more viewers then they'll have no qualms about shoving GP2 into late-night obscurity.

I'm unhappy about minor sports being snapped up by non-sports channels as they basically don't care about the sports.

#7 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 15:46

Originally posted by Imperial
I got the impression during the Bahrain GP weekend that Eurosport looked to have an unrivalled GP weekend package (excluding the F1 of course) as Sunday morning featured Speedcar (which admittedly was boring and also wouldn't be running during the F1 season after that race), Porsche Supercup and GP2.

Now they don't have GP2 I suspect they won't show the Supercup either. They're hardly going to send a crew to every F1 race just to cover that.

What a pity.

ITV4 meanwhile will, I suspect, most probably piss about with the format and broadcast times of GP2 until it is unrecognisable. If they decide that yet more repeats of ****ing Coronation Street or some similar shite would pull in more viewers then they'll have no qualms about shoving GP2 into late-night obscurity.

I'm unhappy about minor sports being snapped up by non-sports channels as they basically don't care about the sports.

Um, ITV4 was specifically set up as the "men's" channel of the ITV network (ITV1 the main channel, ITV2 womens/family channel, ITV3 for the older demographic, and ITV4 for men). As far as I'm aware the soaps are on ITV2 or ITV3, however I will stand corrected.
And for those concerned, it will probably only be for this year. When F1 goes back to the beeb, I can't see ITV sending crew out just for GP2...

#8 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 17:38

Originally posted by blackhand2010
And for those concerned, it will probably only be for this year. When F1 goes back to the beeb, I can't see ITV sending crew out just for GP2...

Makes sense too, I never thought of that.

#9 nigel red5

nigel red5

• 9,468 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 18:23

They haven't sent a 'crew' to a Formula One race weekend for years.

Haven, Rees, Kirby et al sitting in Eurosport's Paris studio talking over the world feed pictures streaming into the building doesn't count as an on-site crew for GP2 and PSC. They may as well have been sat in somewhere thousands of miles away, like North Carolina for example. Oh wait...

If your example is how we judge things, then ITV in fact have done a better job production-wise for the last two years already, as at least they provide extra on-site programming in terms of interviews specifically for the GP2 events.

On the whole though, I agree it's a shame that the situation is changing, not least because Eurosport was so widely available to a good 30 countries and more. No Eurosport coverage forces GP2 to sell the product onto 20 or more individual networks who are already paying an arm and a leg just for the Formula One rights, in order to just 'reach' the same amount of people as in 2006 and 2007. ITV4, Sky Italia, Premiere and Sport TV are just four of them.

The powers that be have made a big mistake on this, and should have been busting a gut to keep GP2 on Eurosport. Lots more work to do to get anywhere near the same numbers of viewers.

#10 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 19:30

Makes sense too, I never thought of that.

Indeed, and it makes me wonder whether the BBC will pick up GP2, or the Supercup. If not then both could be lost to terrestrial/Freeview TV completely.

#11 Haddock

Haddock

• 917 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 13:28

I'll miss Martin Haven and Gareth Rees' commentary on Eurosport, but having just watched a fantastic FIA GT race on ITV4, I think there's a reasonable chance they'll do a decent job of the GP2 coverage. No lifestyle bollocks, just a fairly straight presentation of a great 5 way battle for victory at Silverstone today.

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,257 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 13:51

I picked the DTM race to watch today...
zzzzzzzzz

Seems I'll get to watch the North Carolina F1/GP2 broadcast for the next few months....

Jp