Jump to content


Photo

GPRS and F1


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 One

One
  • Member

  • 6,527 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 19 April 2008 - 21:38

Er,... perhaps an old topic....

Could anyone point me the thread where how GPRS was mounted on F2002 and made use of it for gaining the performance advantages....?

Thanx.  ;)

Advertisement

#2 panzani

panzani
  • Member

  • 18,674 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 19 April 2008 - 22:37

Try this...

#3 tahadar

tahadar
  • Member

  • 499 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 19 April 2008 - 22:38

whoa, never heard about this. not entirely sure how gprs could be used for a performance advantage, unless it had something to do with pits-to-car telemetry?

#4 tahadar

tahadar
  • Member

  • 499 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 19 April 2008 - 22:38

the search doesnt get any hits apart from this very thread :(

#5 macoran

macoran
  • Member

  • 3,989 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 19 April 2008 - 23:31

GPRS = General Packet Radio Service...................performance advantages ?

are you sure you are on the right wavelength ?

#6 StefanV

StefanV
  • Member

  • 1,214 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 20 April 2008 - 00:02

Originally posted by One
Er,... perhaps an old topic....

Could anyone point me the thread where how GPRS was mounted on F2002 and made use of it for gaining the performance advantages....?

Thanx.  ;)

GPS? 2002 it was allowed to send signals both ways, from the car to the pits and from the pits to the car. If you know the position of the car, you can adjust brake balance, differential, revs, fuel mixture and so on from the pits rather than from the cockpit. I can imagine a high precision GPS could make life a lot easier for a driver.

#7 zeris

zeris
  • New Member

  • 13 posts
  • Joined: April 07

Posted 20 April 2008 - 15:57

Giving the foibles of modern mobile technology I don't think a team would use it due to its unreliability.

Also, all the team have large masts mounted on the team trucks which they could use for transmitting/receiving from. Although I don't know well they work at some of the older circuits (hilly Spa, tress of Monza).

The teams could also use the masts to provide differential GPS.

Maybe the GPRS of the original poster refers to something else.

#8 One

One
  • Member

  • 6,527 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 20 April 2008 - 19:16

Originally posted by StefanV

GPS? 2002 it was allowed to send signals both ways, from the car to the pits and from the pits to the car. If you know the position of the car, you can adjust brake balance, differential, revs, fuel mixture and so on from the pits rather than from the cockpit. I can imagine a high precision GPS could make life a lot easier for a driver.


This is interesting. I found some interesting thread by the search engines. Thanx.

BTW my question was about if Ferrari used GPRS or GPS to manipulate car performance...?

#9 Vegetableman

Vegetableman
  • Member

  • 197 posts
  • Joined: April 07

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:07

Well all teams used some form of pit to car telemetry before it was banned in 2003.
If I remember correctly the most well known story is of McLaren opening an oil pressure release valve on DC's car in Monaco 2002 after an intake blocked.

#10 StefanV

StefanV
  • Member

  • 1,214 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:11

Originally posted by One


This is interesting. I found some interesting thread by the search engines. Thanx.

BTW my question was about if Ferrari used GPRS or GPS to manipulate car performance...?

Are you sure you understand your question?;)
First of all, are you interested in GPRS or GPS? Or simply GP's?

#11 JForce

JForce
  • Member

  • 13,840 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:44

He's referring to the story that did the rounds on here after one of the teams mentioned that they had issues after one of their course markers malfunctioned.

Basically the inference was that the team had beacons around the track that activated certain functions based on track position. This was when pit-car telemetry was legal of course.

I'd never heard it mentioned before, and never after, so I don't think we ever got anything definitive out of the whole thing. There was a lot of talk about the technology, and the use of GPS etc.