Montezemolo: Alonso not desirable at Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#1 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:57

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/66766

Bringing Fernando Alonso to Ferrari to partner world champion Kimi Raikkonen would not be desirable, team president Luca di Montezemolo said on Tuesday.

:up:

Advertisement

#2 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:59

Alonso is a lone horseman, he would be good at Ferrari but not with a Raikkonen there, or indeed even Massa. Plus then there is the bitter history of his 2006 hysterics... I don't think Ferrari have as short a memory as Fernando who seems to mist up pretty quick then want to be buddy buddy afterwards.

Alonso is young enough, maybe 2010 will be the ripe time to install him at Ferrari if he's still on it.

I think if Raikkonen wins this year he's probably going to be off at the end of 2009. Imo.

#3 Tigershark

Tigershark

• 996 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:01

The thread title is slightly misleading given the quote. This statement doesn't mean Alonso is not desirable at Ferrari at all, just that there's no desire to partner him with Kimi Raikkonen.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:01

Damaged goods.

#5 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:05

Originally posted by Tigershark
The thread title is slightly misleading given the quote.

It's the headline from the frontpage, so the "credit" for this creative masterpiece has to go to Autosport.;)

#6 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,920 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:07

It only says he wouldn't partner Alonso with Raikkonen (personally, I would do that, but then I'm not the Ferrari manager). It's no big deal. If Raikkonen were to retire (which is often thought likely to be sooner rather than later), on the other hand...

#7 taran

taran

• 4,442 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:07

Before Alonso haters crow too loudly, please remember no deal in Formula One history hasn't been initially denied by all involved parties....... :wave:

#8 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:23

Good call for now by Luca but who knows, Kimi is not gonna stay for ever and Alonso still is one of the best drivers out there.

#9 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:36

Originally posted by wj_gibson
It only says he wouldn't partner Alonso with Raikkonen (personally, I would do that, but then I'm not the Ferrari manager). It's no big deal. If Raikkonen were to retire (which is often thought likely to be sooner rather than later), on the other hand...

What Montezemolo says pretty much amounts to that they would only consider Alonso in a single pointed effort like they had with Michael Schumacher when trying to end the drought.

#10 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:49

What Luca said was that signing Alonso would damage the team. If it is more or less the same than what the title says, one can decide by himself.

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:58

What he said:

To line up a Raikkonen-Alonso double act would mean wanting to damage yourself. I want two equal drivers that work together.

(emphasis added)

So, is he saying Kimi wouldn't work together with Alonso, or vice versa? Given past history, I think I can guess which one.

#12 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:05

Kimi himself has said before he retires he wishes to race Alonso in the same team to see who is fastest, he also says that Ferrari is his last team in F1, so before he goes, i still feel Alonso will be there

#13 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:10

Why do most presume that KR is going to retire after he gets one more title? Maybe his appetite will be whetted so much with WDCs & he savours the sweet taste of glory that he might want to continue racing beyond for many years.

#14 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:22

There are really only two groups of people who shouldn't want Alonso at Ferrari.

First the Tifosi who don't see the sense in changing a sucessfull and working line-up. I can understand that.

Second the Kimi fans who fear that Alonso could be more of a threath than Massa. Those I don't understand at all - shouldn't we all look forward to another possible clash of the titans?

I'm pretty sure Kimi would not mind the challenge.

Hey, even the Hamilton fans should should vote for Fernando to Maranello, it might be the best chance for Lewis... stealing a WDC from two truly competing Ferrari drivers. ;)

#15 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:30

I think it just comes down to Alonso showing, whilst at McLaren, that he is not a team player, and is willing to be quite disruptive and damaging to the team if the feeling takes him.

At Renault this isn't an issue - he is no.1.

In a team with 2 equal drivers, Alonso's record shows he is not always a positive influence in the team.

#16 brakedistance

brakedistance

• 146 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:37

It's a real shame though. Can you imagine what a great season that would produce? Especially with FA and LH competing in different teams on the same piece of tarmac (shades of 1990...)

Come on Bernie - do something positive for once and make it happen!

#17 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:39

Originally posted by as65p
Second the Kimi fans who fear that Alonso could be more of a threath than Massa. Those I don't understand at all - shouldn't we all look forward to another possible clash of the titans?

Why? So people can be dicks about it on internet message boards? No thanks.

#18 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,064 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:43

Originally posted by Hacklerf
Kimi himself has said before he retires he wishes to race Alonso in the same team to see who is fastest, he also says that Ferrari is his last team in F1, so before he goes, i still feel Alonso will be there

Got a quote of that?

:up: good lad Kimi if thats true, they seem to have a higher level of respect for each other then the fans.

#19 speedy

speedy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:49

There are really only two groups of people who shouldn't want Alonso at Ferrari.

First the Tifosi who don't see the sense in changing a sucessfull and working line-up. I can understand that.

Hey, even the Hamilton fans should should vote for Fernando to Maranello, it might be the best chance for Lewis... stealing a WDC from two truly competing Ferrari drivers. ;)

The third one seems to be nothing less than a man who runs the team and pulls the strings, let's not forget this because it is something that has a meaning in reality. The team's interest comes first....

Advertisement

#20 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:49

Originally posted by kismet
Why? So people can be dicks about it on internet message boards? No thanks.

No, not because of that... because of the racing, out there, on track, in the real world.

Sounds to me as if you have your priorities a bit mixed-up... or do you only watch the races to later come here and talk about it? :drunk: ;)

#21 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:57

Originally posted by speedy

The third one seems to be nothing less than a man who runs the team and pulls the strings, let's not forget this because it is something that has a meaning in reality. The team's interest comes first....

LdM doesn't really fit the "group" tag ;).

As I said, I perfectly understand that, given the relative harmony and success with their current drivers, from the teams perspective it's not desirable to disturb that, which is what Luca said.

I just don't understand why we spectators should'nt all look forward to a possible FA/KR pairing, with the exception of those who support the Ferrari team more than any particular driver.

#22 Matti Poika

Matti Poika

• 94 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:03

Originally posted by taran
Before Alonso haters crow too loudly, please remember no deal in Formula One history hasn't been initially denied by all involved parties....... :wave:

Nail, Head :up:

#23 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:03

Alonso is his own enemy. He let it be known that he won't accept anything less than numero uno status without anything to back him up..apart of course Flav! :lol:

#24 Beyond

Beyond

• 403 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:04

Di Montezemolo is right, there's no need of 2 great drivers (especially alonso), they can only "damage" the team. When kimi retires then... but maybe they'll look for another talent (rosberg, vettel...)

#25 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:15

Originally posted by Beyond
Di Montezemolo is right, there's no need of 2 great drivers (especially alonso), they can only "damage" the team. When kimi retires then... but maybe they'll look for another talent (rosberg, vettel...)

I think you can have 2 great drivers, just so long as they are both team players. We know that Alonso isn;t a team player against an equal driver....whether Kimi would or wouldn't be is something of an unknown, as he never drove alongside a great driver at McLaren.

I guess at Sauber he and nick competed well without throwing their toys out the pram, but things are not so readily picked up by the press if you're further down the grid. I have a feeling Kimi just relies on his talent though, and doesn't feel the Alonso-esque need to use a raft of out-of-car measures to try and beat his teammate.

#26 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,064 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:16

Originally posted by Fatgadget
Alonso is his own enemy. He let it be known that he won't accept anything less than numero uno status without anything to back him up..apart of course Flav! :lol:

Hamilton complains Alonso is favoured = Hamilton wants equality.
Alonso complains Hamilton is favoured = Alonso will not expect anything but No.1 seat unchallenged.

How long will this stupidity continue?

#27 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:28

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi

Which is presumably why we had this on Monday..

http://www.planetf1....3455641,00.html

What is intriguing / galling / encouraging (depending on your view) is the inclusion of Williams and Toyota as possible targets for the Alonso 0.6 second a lap improvement regime.

#28 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:33

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi

Why give the thumbs up? As a Ferrari fan, I would love to have it. An incredible line up. I don't think the Raikkonen/Alonso partnership would turn into Hamilton/Alonso. Different teammates, different circumstances.

Of course though, I can see exactly why Raikkonen fans as opposed to Ferrari fans wouldn't want it to happen. I'm firmly the latter and I would be glad to see it. :up:

#29 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:42

No, not because of that... because of the racing, out there, on track, in the real world.

Sounds to me as if you have your priorities a bit mixed-up... or do you only watch the races to later come here and talk about it? :drunk: ;)

Sorry, I took your usage of "clash" (particularly since it was only "possible") to indicate some sort of conflict between persons rather than a standard run-of-the-mill teammate battle on track. My bad. :blush:

#30 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:46

Originally posted by former champ

Why give the thumbs up? As a Ferrari fan, I would love to have it. An incredible line up. I don't think the Raikkonen/Alonso partnership would turn into Hamilton/Alonso. Different teammates, different circumstances.

Of course though, I can see exactly why Raikkonen fans as opposed to Ferrari fans wouldn't want it to happen. I'm firmly the latter and I would be glad to see it. :up:

Well : I'm a team fan first and foremost, and my concern would be how it would work it reality. I'd be happy to be proved wrong of course. But I guess foremost in the minds of some tifosi is the events of last year that have left for some of us at least a few question marks over the loyalty, commitment and team-working aspects of Mr.Alonso's racecraft. Of course this is guided very much by what we see in the media, and what goes on behind closed doors could in fact be very different.

#31 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:55

Originally posted by kismet
Sorry, I took your usage of "clash" (particularly since it was only "possible") to indicate some sort of conflict between persons rather than a standard run-of-the-mill teammate battle on track. My bad. :blush:

:wave: no problem. Maybe "clash" wasn't quite the right term for what I meant to say.

#32 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:56

Good points. But you forgot the style factor.

What comes to what happens behind closed doors, sometimes we don't need to guess that. For example Fernando left so fast that the door was left wide open.

And I am not sure, how much Ferrari needs Fernando's physiotherapist's strategic eye.

#33 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:00

Originally posted by Lord Snooty

What is intriguing / galling / encouraging (depending on your view) is the inclusion of Williams and Toyota as possible targets for the Alonso 0.6 second a lap improvement regime.

:rotfl: Awesome.

I reckon any of those teams would be happy to have a driver of Alonso's calibre in one of their cars. Frank thinks he already has one in Rosberg, of course.

#34 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:18

Originally posted by MichaelPM
Got a quote of that?

:up: good lad Kimi if thats true, they seem to have a higher level of respect for each other then the fans.

I cant remember where i read it, ive had alook but cant find it right now, it might even have been on his website, but for sure i remember seeing it

#35 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:27

Originally posted by Hacklerf

I cant remember where i read it, ive had alook but cant find it right now, it might even have been on his website, but for sure i remember seeing it

I definitely recall seeing it as well...but again cant recall where.

The only snippet I can find so far is here:

http://www.sportingl...ual_084059.html

According to Finn, the rumours are "just talk."

However, he added: "It would be interesting to race him in the same car. But I don't think it is going to happen."

#36 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:29

This isn't a revelation. People actually think that since MS is no longer with the team they now have taken a different approach. When Kimi retires maybe...

#37 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:29

Originally posted by Lord Snooty
The Alonso 0.6 second a lap improvement regime.

HEHEHEHE andther gem thats never gonna get old...

#38 Peter

Peter

• 1,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:33

Considering the potential damage LdM did to Ferrari by his method of bringing KR into Ferrari against the wishes of the team (meaning Todt, Shumacher and Brawn in particular) I would now pay a lot of attention to what LdM says.

If he does not want Alonso, then it will not happen.

In any case, I am a Ferrari fan and would not like to see Massa dumped to get another prima donna in the team. They certainly don't need someone else letting out their dirty little secrets and trying to blackmail them for it!

#39 eoin

eoin

• 5,015 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:33

Originally posted by former champ

Alonso can't handle been beaten we have already seen this. There is a very good chance that Kimi would beat him, especially considering that he has experience at ferrari. I always thought it was strange that Montezemolo was flirting with the idea of getting Alonso in a ferrari next year now it looks like he never intended it. Let the silly season begin...

Advertisement

#40 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:35

Why is Montedezemolo saying these things now?... just before the Spanish GP.

I really do not understand his motivations for this kind of statement. Is he sending a message to Alonso that Ferrari really is not interested in hiring him? if so, why say it now?, so far from the end of the season. Or is he sending a message to Massa, to be a team player and work nicely with Kimi?

Montedezemolo supported Alonso during the McLarengate. Why this now?

Alonso would be better off keeping his mouth shut about where he is going to go if Renault do not give him a competitive car. Show some sense of ownership and stop threatening Renault with leaving at the end of the year if he does not get a competitive car.

#41 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:37

Alonso for Ferrari would be bad. Ferrari needs a professional driver, loyal and respectful to the team, sponsors etc.

I think Fernando clearly demonstrated what little it can take for him to demolish a giant like McLaren by:

- bringing the team's "dirty laundry out" (and for sure every team has its secrets).
- pulling away major sponsors.
- mobilizing a whole nation behind him (the anti-Mclaren atmosphere and banners at the races rediculing McLaren are very powerful)

I think many teams would think twice and go for the cheaper upcoming hotshoe from F3 then to risk the trouble of managing Fernando.

---
*Nothing against Fernando, as in 05 and 06 I really rooted for him winning the WDC's.

#42 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:40

Originally posted by bl-f1

I really do not understand his motivations for this kind of statement. Is he sending a message to Alonso that Ferrari really is not interested in hiring him? if so, why say it now?, so far from the end of the season. Or is he sending a message to Massa, to be a team player and work nicely with Kimi?

Alonso would be better off keeping his mouth shut about where he is going to go if Renault do not give him a competitive car. Show some sense of ownership and stop threatening Renault with leaving at the end of the year if he does not get a competitive car.

if you go over to the F2008 thread AFCA has kindly translated the interview in its entirity in which LdM was asked about it by a journalist amongst other things. It suggests he hasn't just popped out the woodwork specifically to stick two fingers up at Fernando ;)

#43 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:41

Originally posted by Mika Mika

HEHEHEHE andther gem thats never gonna get old...

Seriously.

And it's so funny I wet myself about every hundred times I read it...

#44 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:41

Originally posted by bl-f1

I think Luca wants to take a bit of pressure off Felipe, for him to focus on doing his job (and not keeping his job). And I can understand that

#45 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:42

Originally posted by Chiara

if you go over to the F2008 thread AFCA has kindly translated the interview in its entirity in which LdM was asked about it by a journalist amongst other things. It suggests he hasn't just popped out the woodwork specifically to stick two fingers up at Fernando ;)

Could be but a man like LdM knows what impact 1 sentence in a 20 questions interview can have.

#46 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:45

So it looks like Ferrari is indeed very very interested in Fernando. The only reason for this type of talk from L Dm is to try to drive down Alonso's price. I would say Alonso at Ferrari is nearly a sure thing now.

#47 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:46

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
Alonso for Ferrari would be bad. Ferrari needs a professional driver, loyal and respectful to the team, sponsors etc.

You really think they should replace Kimi with such a corporate muppet?

;)

#48 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:49

Originally posted by SlateGray
So it looks like Ferrari is indeed very very interested in Fernando. The only reason for this type of talk from L Dm is to try to drive down Alonso's price. I would say Alonso at Ferrari is nearly a sure thing now.

This prediction is for next season?

#49 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:49

Seriously.

And it's so funny I wet myself about every hundred times I read it...

:cat:

#50 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 13:50

Originally posted by SlateGray

Love the logic, Luca says he doesnt want Fernando, so that means he really does want him!!!!